Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Get off Colemans and Bells back 12:08 - Dec 2 with 10548 viewsdalehead89

I am an avid reader of this site but i have never decided to comment until now , i was at the game yesterday and i am in no way going to say it was good because we were poor but we did get better in the second half , he is right with what he said we do need to start games better , but it shows that his half time talks are having some impact its now down to the players to get out there from the word go instead of needing a rollicking to start playing!.What any manager needs is support we are still in a decent position to go up all be it probably through the play offs. If we was in the bottom two then fine slag him and get rid but we are not.
Get off Colemans and Bells back on 14:28 - Dec 2 with 1487 viewsRalphs12

Get off Colemans and Bells back on 14:18 - Dec 2 by ColDale

talk of the league not being as strong as it was four or five years ago is amusing as they were precisely the comments that were being said around four or five years ago. Its almost as if we get all misty eyed at the quality in this division as if a handful of years ago, it was on a par with the Champions League.

Reality is that it is almost impossible to compare seasons with seasons gone by. What does stand up to comparison is how we have fared in comparison with the other relegated sides. We were undoubtedly the worst of the four relegated sides last season, yet despite having less funds to work with, we are somehow doing better than all three of them so we are clearly doing something right.

And again, judging by the comments over the Summer, we are in a position which most supporters would have taken in the Summer. There was no real expectation of an immediate return to League One (in fact I think it was only Coleman who mentioned that) so again there's not many who can claim that this season is something of a disaster.

Of course, until the home form is sorted there will always be legitimate concerns. I said it a couple of weeks back, there will probably be regular home supporters who have yet to see us even with this season. And those same supporters must think we are doolally when we start raving about how well we are playing away from home at times. The home form is the bread and butter and is being used as a yardstick much more than the league position or points tally is.

I think at time we underestimate the job that Coleman has had to do at Spotland. Had we stuck with Eyre, we would have been facing back to back relegations. The damage done with Eyre's appointment will never be fully appreciated by supporters. Since coming in, he has had to totally rebuild the dressing room which was rampant with cliques and bad attitude. I don't think comparisons with Chelsea would have been wide of the mark. Let's not forget just how bad things got that we had first team players airing the club's dirty laundry on here.

So Coleman's first job over the Summer was to get a committed first team squad all working for the cause. I think he's pretty much managed to get that sorted and the players buy into Coleman's belief. Yes, he's stuck pretty much to the tried and trusted in doing so but I believe signings of the likes of McIntyre and Cavanagh are short term signings that were needed to help rebuild that dressing room.

Of course, Coleman has made mistakes and has continued to do so. His Summer recruitment saw him restricted to a rigid style of playing, the home form is a problem that isn't being resolved, we've got on field discipline issues from our more experienced players and I can't stand the constant attempts to con the officials.

And of course, there are problems that Coleman is not responsible for that are being attributed to him. That lack of a buzz about things and the detachment from the club would have been inevitable whoever was running things.

But what I do trust Coleman to do is to get things right long term. Unlike his predecessor, there is a long term plan in place and for the transfer windows, there will already be ideas for replacements and improvements - perhaps players that weren't available at the time but have become so (I look forward to the inevitable comments when we sign Dean Winnard in the Summer). Much of this trust stems from his time at Accy where the job he did was beyond reproach, so maybe there's something of a leap of faith in doing so.

But as I said, until the home form gets sorted, we'll end up with the same old conversations on here. We're a hard set of buggers to please at times.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Very much what I would like to have put down in words but never could. Well said! Chaff also said alot of the same things in a post about the signings. I couldn't help but feel yesterdays boo's were a side effect of us going up. We were spoilt for afew years and now we are "struggling" again. boo hoo.
Get off Colemans and Bells back on 14:30 - Dec 2 with 1480 viewsSalwaDale

talk of the league not being as strong as it was four or five years ago is amusing as they were precisely the comments that were being said around four or five years ago. Its almost as if we get all misty eyed at the quality in this division as if a handful of years ago, it was on a par with the Champions League.

Reality is that it is almost impossible to compare seasons with seasons gone by. What does stand up to comparison is how we have fared in comparison with the other relegated sides. We were undoubtedly the worst of the four relegated sides last season, yet despite having less funds to work with, we are somehow doing better than all three of them so we are clearly doing something right.

And again, judging by the comments over the Summer, we are in a position which most supporters would have taken in the Summer. There was no real expectation of an immediate return to League One (in fact I think it was only Coleman who mentioned that) so again there's not many who can claim that this season is something of a disaster.

Of course, until the home form is sorted there will always be legitimate concerns. I said it a couple of weeks back, there will probably be regular home supporters who have yet to see us even with this season. And those same supporters must think we are doolally when we start raving about how well we are playing away from home at times. The home form is the bread and butter and is being used as a yardstick much more than the league position or points tally is.

I think at time we underestimate the job that Coleman has had to do at Spotland. Had we stuck with Eyre, we would have been facing back to back relegations. The damage done with Eyre's appointment will never be fully appreciated by supporters. Since coming in, he has had to totally rebuild the dressing room which was rampant with cliques and bad attitude. I don't think comparisons with Chelsea would have been wide of the mark. Let's not forget just how bad things got that we had first team players airing the club's dirty laundry on here.

So Coleman's first job over the Summer was to get a committed first team squad all working for the cause. I think he's pretty much managed to get that sorted and the players buy into Coleman's belief. Yes, he's stuck pretty much to the tried and trusted in doing so but I believe signings of the likes of McIntyre and Cavanagh are short term signings that were needed to help rebuild that dressing room.

Of course, Coleman has made mistakes and has continued to do so. His Summer recruitment saw him restricted to a rigid style of playing, the home form is a problem that isn't being resolved, we've got on field discipline issues from our more experienced players and I can't stand the constant attempts to con the officials.

And of course, there are problems that Coleman is not responsible for that are being attributed to him. That lack of a buzz about things and the detachment from the club would have been inevitable whoever was running things.

But what I do trust Coleman to do is to get things right long term. Unlike his predecessor, there is a long term plan in place and for the transfer windows, there will already be ideas for replacements and improvements - perhaps players that weren't available at the time but have become so (I look forward to the inevitable comments when we sign Dean Winnard in the Summer). Much of this trust stems from his time at Accy where the job he did was beyond reproach, so maybe there's something of a leap of faith in doing so.

But as I said, until the home form gets sorted, we'll end up with the same old conversations on here. We're a hard set of buggers to please at times.

You're a clever and eloquent fella Col. Difficult to disagree with most of that.

TBBT

Get off Colemans and Bells back on 14:31 - Dec 2 with 1478 viewssweetcorn

Get off Colemans and Bells back on 14:05 - Dec 2 by DaleAwaydayBot

i wasn't at the match but i do think people get dramatic wow 2 back to back losses big deal last time that happened. I'm sure we went on to get back to back wins against AFC Wombles and Rotherham United. I haven't been on since beginning of the week but hell has broken out

I learn something this weekend at our friends at London Road no matter how bad their doing at the moment their still backing Fergie Jr, I think we all need a reality check and take a leep out of Posh's book

JOHN COLEMAN'S BARMY ARMY

ROCHDALE TILL I DIE

Probably the only sensible post i have seen from you, minus the posh part.

Cannot believe the comments on this board. Coleman has killed rochdale, sorry but what a load of bollox. he has rebuilt what the people of this board called gutless and players who didn't want to play for the club, he's replaced all of them with players who seemingly want to play for this club, we don't always produce on the pitch, but i'm happy with how things are going and wouldn't swap coleman for anybody and certainly not dave flitcroft, a man with NO managerial experience.

JC in my opinion (and its only an opinion) will lead this club to success and for me there is no manager better for our situation.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Get off Colemans and Bells back on 14:37 - Dec 2 with 1460 viewsdalenumber2

Get off Colemans and Bells back on 14:23 - Dec 2 by ChaffRAFC

I've not posted much on here since last night because I've been stuck for how to put my point across but you've gone and done it for me.

Fantastic post which is 100% bang on.

Agree - Col is spot on.
Still can't believe the attitude of those seeking Coleman's head, it is still early days and we're doing ok, with the odd exception like yesterday.
Get off Colemans and Bells back on 14:46 - Dec 2 with 1439 viewsolympicdale

I agree with the part about certain players not being here for the long haul, I wouldnt be hugely surprised if the likes of Cavangne/Mcintyre/Craney/Phil Edwards are gone in January or the summer, they were brought in as said, to do a job, and to get the harmony back into the dressing room, I don't believe a lot who were brought in the summer, are long term aquisitions, more to do a steadying job.

I also wouldnt be shocked to see Putteril go come the new year, he clearly still isnt up for 90mins, and we cant keep a player, granted not on much wages, who is only capable of 20/30min cameos, he needs to seriously prove his fitness.

I have a funny feeling in January he will be looking at players such as Long/Proctor, maybe even Jimmy Ryan, but whoever he brings in, in the new year, will be for the long haul. We have two players already here, in Rafferty and Bennett, who should be looking to tie down to longer contracts.

Life is a game of fate.

Get off Colemans and Bells back on 14:46 - Dec 2 with 1436 viewsolympicdale

I agree with the part about certain players not being here for the long haul, I wouldnt be hugely surprised if the likes of Cavangne/Mcintyre/Craney/Phil Edwards are gone in January or the summer, they were brought in as said, to do a job, and to get the harmony back into the dressing room, I don't believe a lot who were brought in the summer, are long term aquisitions, more to do a steadying job.

I also wouldnt be shocked to see Putteril go come the new year, he clearly still isnt up for 90mins, and we cant keep a player, granted not on much wages, who is only capable of 20/30min cameos, he needs to seriously prove his fitness.

I have a funny feeling in January he will be looking at players such as Long/Proctor, maybe even Jimmy Ryan, but whoever he brings in, in the new year, will be for the long haul. We have two players already here, in Rafferty and Bennett, who should be looking to tie down to longer contracts.

Life is a game of fate.

Get off Colemans and Bells back on 14:50 - Dec 2 with 1429 viewsDorsetDale

I think you're right in that the same old strength of the division gets trotted out time after time. Just happens this time round I genuinely believe it to be true. Admittedly this is largely based on comments I've heard and read as I've only seen two games and we got a couple of tonkings which may have coloured my judgement. As TVOS points out, it's mostly irrelevant anyway and not worth arguing over.

The rest of your post is the sort of level-headedness we all love you for.

YOU do not have the right to give someone else permission to tell me what I can and can't do.

Get off Colemans and Bells back on 14:58 - Dec 2 with 1415 viewselectricblue

Get off Colemans and Bells back on 13:47 - Dec 2 by SalwaDale

This is my opinion:

I think Coleman is doing a little better than I expected and, judging by results, I think we should all be pretty happy. We have definitely got a superb team spirit.
However I don't like the 'hoof it up to Dele' approach we seem to take. I don't like the needless lunging slide tackles so many of the players seem to do. I definitely don't like the diving and rolling around we seem to enjoy so much (I think Ricardo may have been correct). We've even got centre backs doing it. I also don't like the rumours of us trashing hotels and whatnot.

Looking at the big picture I'm fairly happy with what we've got as I think we're doing ok and I can live with some of the things I don't like. I will look back very, very fondly on the years where we played a brand of football that was just entertaining every game with a togetherness in the team and a level of professionalism that I didn't think would ever exist at Rochdale.

So, forward we march with Coleman. That is unless there is ever any chance of us returning to what we had before, whether that is with Flitcroft or Hill in charge but yes, I would happily take the risk of sacking a manager that isn't actually doing too badly if either of those became available (and I know many say bridges have been well and truly burned). Would I rid of Coleman for anybody else - definitely not.

After paying off Eyre do you think that Dale can afford to pay off another manager..
If so where is the money coming from!..
For a start the infrastructure that Hillcroft created as all been binned and no longer exists..
So money is required for that...
I dont actually think that Dale are in the same financial stability ofvyhe hillcroft era i actually think its worse a lot worse..
Reduced crowds dont help at all..
If JC went tomorrow and hillcroft came in do you think their reappointment would put bums on seats!..
I dont...people dont have the money to spend on attending a football match now adays unlike a few years ago....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Login to get fewer ads

Get off Colemans and Bells back on 14:58 - Dec 2 with 1415 viewsSteTsGoldenBoot

Get off Colemans and Bells back on 14:31 - Dec 2 by sweetcorn

Cannot believe the comments on this board. Coleman has killed rochdale, sorry but what a load of bollox. he has rebuilt what the people of this board called gutless and players who didn't want to play for the club, he's replaced all of them with players who seemingly want to play for this club, we don't always produce on the pitch, but i'm happy with how things are going and wouldn't swap coleman for anybody and certainly not dave flitcroft, a man with NO managerial experience.

JC in my opinion (and its only an opinion) will lead this club to success and for me there is no manager better for our situation.

As I said spunky, time will tell!

Everything thats been, has past. The answers in the looking glass!

Get off Colemans and Bells back on 15:16 - Dec 2 with 1375 viewselectricblue

Get off Colemans and Bells back on 14:31 - Dec 2 by sweetcorn

Got to agree with you there SC..
If flitcroft wouldnt come then why should he suddenly come now....
No sorry..
JC is getting there by doing it his way....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Get off Colemans and Bells back on 15:26 - Dec 2 with 1358 views442Dale

The "whole killing the club" is laughable. There was nothing left to kill when he arrived.

All that's happened is a few players connected to the 'old' Rochdale left in the summer with the manager's blessing. Only one, Joe Widdowson, would be making us any better than we are now. Suspect that a certain Bradford player has become somewhat of a stick to beat us all with. Even though the team has benefited from his departure.

Criticism is justified on numerous issues, but it's not done from an objective standpoint at times. Coleman made his biggest mistake of his reign yesterday in my eyes by reverting back to the usual formation, for that he should expect and deserve to receive negative comments.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Get off Colemans and Bells back on 15:33 - Dec 2 with 1346 viewsSalwaDale

Get off Colemans and Bells back on 14:58 - Dec 2 by electricblue

After paying off Eyre do you think that Dale can afford to pay off another manager..
If so where is the money coming from!..
For a start the infrastructure that Hillcroft created as all been binned and no longer exists..
So money is required for that...
I dont actually think that Dale are in the same financial stability ofvyhe hillcroft era i actually think its worse a lot worse..
Reduced crowds dont help at all..
If JC went tomorrow and hillcroft came in do you think their reappointment would put bums on seats!..
I dont...people dont have the money to spend on attending a football match now adays unlike a few years ago....

Just my opinion really and I think most of what you say is true and I am certainly not in the Coleman out brigade. However, almost 30 years of watching Dale, with most of it pretty dire followed by a few years of actually being entertained week after week after week does leave me yearning for those times.

I generally don't care which division we are in, but I do want to be entertained. So for that I will always yearn for the Hillcroft years.

TBBT

Get off Colemans and Bells back on 15:38 - Dec 2 with 1337 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Get off Colemans and Bells back on 12:46 - Dec 2 by dalehead89

Well how has he single handily ruined Rochdale football club ? we have played well this season fair enough its mostly away and as i said earlier we are still around the play off spots and i think we will be in the finals we just need to get some luck as well . I am not defending yesterdays performance by any way

We must be in a right mess if we are praying for luck!

That shambles that we witnessed yesterday, and a multitude of times at home on other occasions this season, is down to Coleman and Bell & Hinigan (the Management) end of.

We have a right as paying punters to complain if we are sold so short.

Get real........perhaps JC is just too old,we need more vitality.
Get off Colemans and Bells back on 15:42 - Dec 2 with 1329 viewsdalenumber2

Get off Colemans and Bells back on 15:38 - Dec 2 by Yorkshire_Dale

We must be in a right mess if we are praying for luck!

That shambles that we witnessed yesterday, and a multitude of times at home on other occasions this season, is down to Coleman and Bell & Hinigan (the Management) end of.

We have a right as paying punters to complain if we are sold so short.

Get real........perhaps JC is just too old,we need more vitality.

Old? He's only 50! Just looks a lot older imo.
Get off Colemans and Bells back on 15:48 - Dec 2 with 1320 viewsolympicdale

Get off Colemans and Bells back on 12:18 - Dec 2 by SteTsGoldenBoot

In the 11 months he has been with us, we have dropped an average of one place per month, with a home record worse than Vic Halom's.

On Saturday we will be approaching the crowds Vic's team played in front of!

Bottom 2? Becareful what you wish for!

I believe JC has killed Rochdale football club and everything it stood for, I guess now we will just have to wait and see how long before we're burried!

how has he killed it?? you cant say something like that and not explain it, ridiculous statement that!

Life is a game of fate.

Get off Colemans and Bells back on 15:55 - Dec 2 with 1287 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Get off Colemans and Bells back on 12:18 - Dec 2 by SteTsGoldenBoot

In the 11 months he has been with us, we have dropped an average of one place per month, with a home record worse than Vic Halom's.

On Saturday we will be approaching the crowds Vic's team played in front of!

Bottom 2? Becareful what you wish for!

I believe JC has killed Rochdale football club and everything it stood for, I guess now we will just have to wait and see how long before we're burried!

Just out of interest what do mean when you say everything that Rochdale FC stood for?
For me, it's a club that, when compared with many of our neighbours, excels in suriving on one of the football league's smallest budgets.
It's also a club that, for the most part over recent times, has punched above it's weight on the field given the budgetary retraints.
Given that we are placed just below the play-off spots and that the signings of Grant and Bennett are looking to be very astute, Coleman really has not killed the club and everything it stood for.
On the contrary, it looks as if his tenure so far has more in common with the club's positive recent history than that of Eyre's tenure.
I suspect that one of the reasons why the club has been relatively successful over recent times, Eyre tenure apart, is probably because they don't adopt a simplistic 'knee-jerk' approach like yours.

P.S Please spare me an overly romantic and idealised version of Rochdale's history which involves eleven mother Theresas playing like Brazil in 1970 or some bollox you've heard of Coleman's team treating hotel rooms like Keith Moon did.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Get off Colemans and Bells back on 15:59 - Dec 2 with 1276 views442Dale

Get off Colemans and Bells back on 15:55 - Dec 2 by BigDaveMyCock

Just out of interest what do mean when you say everything that Rochdale FC stood for?
For me, it's a club that, when compared with many of our neighbours, excels in suriving on one of the football league's smallest budgets.
It's also a club that, for the most part over recent times, has punched above it's weight on the field given the budgetary retraints.
Given that we are placed just below the play-off spots and that the signings of Grant and Bennett are looking to be very astute, Coleman really has not killed the club and everything it stood for.
On the contrary, it looks as if his tenure so far has more in common with the club's positive recent history than that of Eyre's tenure.
I suspect that one of the reasons why the club has been relatively successful over recent times, Eyre tenure apart, is probably because they don't adopt a simplistic 'knee-jerk' approach like yours.

P.S Please spare me an overly romantic and idealised version of Rochdale's history which involves eleven mother Theresas playing like Brazil in 1970 or some bollox you've heard of Coleman's team treating hotel rooms like Keith Moon did.

And let's not forget the role Nathan Stanton played during our glory years. A more highly, argumentative player you couldn't wish to find.

Or John Doolan who'd barely wait for a red card to ensure he can chase an opposition player up the tunnel.

Get off Colemans and Bells back on 16:05 - Dec 2 with 1260 viewssweetcorn

BRAVO.

I think ste's reply to me says it all, sweeping statements with very little facts to back it up.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Get off Colemans and Bells back on 16:10 - Dec 2 with 1249 viewsSteTsGoldenBoot

Get off Colemans and Bells back on 15:48 - Dec 2 by olympicdale

how has he killed it?? you cant say something like that and not explain it, ridiculous statement that!

3300 x £15 = £49,500

Next Sat - 1650 x £15 = £24,750.

How many of this seasons 'reluclant' season ticket holders will not renew next season?

We play like scum on the pitch and behave like it off the pitch!

As I keep saying, time will tell if I am being ridiculous, talking b*ll*x or any other naughty word.

Get off Colemans and Bells back on 16:11 - Dec 2 with 1244 viewssandylaner1

Get off Colemans and Bells back on 15:16 - Dec 2 by electricblue

Got to agree with you there SC..
If flitcroft wouldnt come then why should he suddenly come now....
No sorry..
JC is getting there by doing it his way....

isn't JC on a one year rolling contract?

or have i been arfed
Get off Colemans and Bells back on 16:17 - Dec 2 with 1234 viewsColDale

Get off Colemans and Bells back on 16:11 - Dec 2 by sandylaner1

isn't JC on a one year rolling contract?

or have i been arfed

I dont believe the length of the contract was ever announced.
Get off Colemans and Bells back on 16:18 - Dec 2 with 1229 viewsSteTsGoldenBoot

Sorry, my bad.

Yesterday will have the fans flocking in.

We will gain back to back promotions on crowds of 1500.

Selling both JK and Tutte in January will keep the wolf from the door for the next 15 years as will the future profits on the transfers for Cav, Phil Edwards, Pink Boots, Craney, Adebola, Curran.

The futures bright........The futures Red (Accy Red).

Get off Colemans and Bells back on 16:21 - Dec 2 with 1221 views442Dale

Get off Colemans and Bells back on 16:17 - Dec 2 by ColDale

I dont believe the length of the contract was ever announced.

It came up the week before the Accrington game (reporter at their end)

http://menmedia.co.uk/rochdaleobserver/sport/football/rochdale/s/1590589_coleman

Get off Colemans and Bells back on 16:23 - Dec 2 with 1212 views442Dale

Get off Colemans and Bells back on 16:10 - Dec 2 by SteTsGoldenBoot

3300 x £15 = £49,500

Next Sat - 1650 x £15 = £24,750.

How many of this seasons 'reluclant' season ticket holders will not renew next season?

We play like scum on the pitch and behave like it off the pitch!

As I keep saying, time will tell if I am being ridiculous, talking b*ll*x or any other naughty word.

When were we regularly getting 3300 home fans?

Edit: Just over 18 months ago we had beaten Southampton to go 6th in League 1, we then played Brentford at home on a Saturday.

There were exactly 2800 home fans.

Get off Colemans and Bells back on 17:06 - Dec 2 with 1153 viewsSteTsGoldenBoot

Get off Colemans and Bells back on 16:23 - Dec 2 by 442Dale

When were we regularly getting 3300 home fans?

Edit: Just over 18 months ago we had beaten Southampton to go 6th in League 1, we then played Brentford at home on a Saturday.

There were exactly 2800 home fans.

I think I said crowds of? Not specific to home fans.

Rough guestimate yesterday crowd 2400 - 550 away fans/1850 home (did we also give 400 tickets away?).

I think we will have significantly less on Saturday and the total crowd less than 1650. Take away season ticket holders and it doesnt leave a right lot of cash flow to pay the bills.

But as I have been told, I am talking rubbish and everythings great.

I will worry on my own and not say another word on the subject.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024