Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match thread: Charlton away 18:51 - Nov 21 with 14466 views442Dale

No Rafferty. Gillam starts.

Massive call.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2017 18:52]

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match thread: Charlton away on 22:07 - Nov 21 with 3053 viewsrochdaleriddler

Match thread: Charlton away on 21:58 - Nov 21 by D_Alien

Under most circumstances, a 2-1 reverse at Charlton wouldn't be anything to get uptight about

I'll wait to hear from experienced fans at the game before rushing to any further judgment than where we stood after the Oldham game. The line-up was changed, a young striker given a chance which he accepted

A very long way to go yet

[Post edited 21 Nov 2017 22:00]

It's not whether someone is experienced (old) or not!. Fact is we aren't far off half way through the season and our firm is dire, more importantly we ain't picking up any wins. I wasn't there but the stats look ok, but it's wins we need and if we had won at oldham then a defeat here by the odd goal wouldn't seem so bad. I've cancelled my slough hotel!

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Match thread: Charlton away on 22:12 - Nov 21 with 2992 viewsD_Alien

Match thread: Charlton away on 22:07 - Nov 21 by rochdaleriddler

It's not whether someone is experienced (old) or not!. Fact is we aren't far off half way through the season and our firm is dire, more importantly we ain't picking up any wins. I wasn't there but the stats look ok, but it's wins we need and if we had won at oldham then a defeat here by the odd goal wouldn't seem so bad. I've cancelled my slough hotel!

I'll still await their report back. We may have been unlucky tonight, it happens at the best of times, and it takes someone with experience to make that call rather than the rush to comments which suggest we're already relegated, which is just blind panic

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match thread: Charlton away on 22:16 - Nov 21 with 2940 viewsDaleFan7

Match thread: Charlton away on 22:12 - Nov 21 by D_Alien

I'll still await their report back. We may have been unlucky tonight, it happens at the best of times, and it takes someone with experience to make that call rather than the rush to comments which suggest we're already relegated, which is just blind panic

Unlucky or not. The fact we've lost from a winning position (again) and can go bottom on Saturday is enough to be worried.
Match thread: Charlton away on 22:19 - Nov 21 with 2914 viewsdalenumber2

Plymouth and Bury won tonight, we could be bottom by Saturday evening. I hate feeling so gloomy about this but can't shake it off since Saturday
Match thread: Charlton away on 22:19 - Nov 21 with 2907 viewsD_Alien

Match thread: Charlton away on 22:16 - Nov 21 by DaleFan7

Unlucky or not. The fact we've lost from a winning position (again) and can go bottom on Saturday is enough to be worried.

There's been literally hundreds of posts which demonstrate the concern we all feel at where we are

What makes the difference in this type of situation is being able to hold your nerve, regroup, re-assess and remain together as a team. I fully expect the board, the manager and the dressing room to be able to do that, because if they start panicking like some fans are doing, we'll be truly f*cked

[Post edited 21 Nov 2017 22:21]

Match thread: Charlton away on 22:20 - Nov 21 with 2897 viewsrochdaleriddler

Match thread: Charlton away on 22:12 - Nov 21 by D_Alien

Not blind panic, I just look at results, and sure we can be unlucky on occasion, but we haven't been unlucky over the course of 18 games, and we have won just 3. The renaissance may yet come and I hope it does soon

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Match thread: Charlton away on 22:27 - Nov 21 with 2818 viewsfitzochris

Love_the_dale, it would be good to hear why you disagree with my post, which made the following claims:

Hill’s recruitment has been poor, on balance, this summer.

His position as manager is safe.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Match thread: Charlton away on 22:49 - Nov 21 with 2686 viewsandyk

I thought we were unlucky to lose tonight. Two poorish teams but we attacked quite a lot and deserved a draw. Their goals were pretty fortunate. First from a disputed free kick which was deflected into the path of their scorer who couldn’t miss and their second an error from Lillis who spilled a shot, straight to the scorer who couldn’t miss. Last 20 mins we really went for it but couldn’t get one unfortunately
Login to get fewer ads

Match thread: Charlton away on 23:01 - Nov 21 with 2629 viewsdingdangblue

Match thread: Charlton away on 22:19 - Nov 21 by dalenumber2

Plymouth and Bury won tonight, we could be bottom by Saturday evening. I hate feeling so gloomy about this but can't shake it off since Saturday

Fortunately no one gets relegated on Saturday!
I wish people would hold their nerve. It's a long season and Hill is our best manager ever. The way some fans have turned against him or don't trust him to turn it around is quite frankly embarrassing. After everything he's done for this club and all the great seasons he's brought us it's sad.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Match thread: Charlton away on 23:01 - Nov 21 with 2623 viewsD_Alien

Match thread: Charlton away on 22:49 - Nov 21 by andyk

I thought we were unlucky to lose tonight. Two poorish teams but we attacked quite a lot and deserved a draw. Their goals were pretty fortunate. First from a disputed free kick which was deflected into the path of their scorer who couldn’t miss and their second an error from Lillis who spilled a shot, straight to the scorer who couldn’t miss. Last 20 mins we really went for it but couldn’t get one unfortunately

Thanks for that

Sounds like a competitive performance, and if looked at in isolation, not one which should be panic-inducing, or have us believe that (quote) "we're shit"

Of course, we need to start picking up points, and sharpish

On to Saturday, and a very winnable game

[Post edited 21 Nov 2017 23:05]

Match thread: Charlton away on 23:04 - Nov 21 with 2608 viewssurb_dale

I was at the game and this was a much better performance than the last one I witnessed at Wimbledon. No lack of effort and fair few chances created mixed with some woeful basic passing and crossing errors. If Done's shot in 1st half had gone in rather than hit inside of post and stay out then things could av been much different. That would av put us 2 up. Minutes later they equalise with what seemed a fortunate ricochet falling nicely for caskey to prod in. Their second started from Daniels being caught in possession and ended with a shot from their right side that was fumbled by lillis with rebound gobbled up. Hilly switched it to 352 for last 20 or so mins with cannon at right wing back and Hendon deep lying midfielder. We did put some pressure on and inman really should av done better with a clear chance late on but all too often the wide players were isolated with no support. In the end charlton saw the game out with all the usual time wasting tactics feigning injury and the like.

You can see the players lack belief. Charlton weren't great and we really should av took at least a point. Hard to see where the next away win will come from.

Calvin prob our stand out player with shout out for Gillam for a well taken goal.
Match thread: Charlton away on 23:09 - Nov 21 with 2583 viewsrochdale_ranger

Match thread: Charlton away on 22:19 - Nov 21 by D_Alien

There's been literally hundreds of posts which demonstrate the concern we all feel at where we are

What makes the difference in this type of situation is being able to hold your nerve, regroup, re-assess and remain together as a team. I fully expect the board, the manager and the dressing room to be able to do that, because if they start panicking like some fans are doing, we'll be truly f*cked

[Post edited 21 Nov 2017 22:21]

Agreed. Will be time to panic and contemplate getting a new manager if things are like this in January. A lot of people seem to think Hill bringing new faces in during the transfer window will help. I don’t, bringing in players and expecting them to gel and perform well when there is so much gloom around the club would be a job in itself. If we get a new manager in for the beginning of jan he would be able to use the transfer window to bring in his own players and rejuvenate the squad with new players and a fresh approach.
Match thread: Charlton away on 23:18 - Nov 21 with 2546 viewsRodingdale

Brief report from a Dale fan in the main stand: Took game to them first half, great goal from Gillam after good work from Bunney - unlucky not to be 2 up when Done hit the inside of the post following a Calvin flick on. Charlton won a succession of soft free kicks, culminating in a booking for Ollie. The resulting FK was dinked into the box where it rattled around before a Charlton player poked it into the net. 1-1 Ht Second half, Dale continued to press, then Camps lost possession on their right, ball was played across diagonally towards Daniel who miscontrolled to a red shirt who squared the ball, a shot came in which Josh fumbled and a red shirt bundled the ball home. 3 mistakes = 1 goal conceded. 2-1. In the next ten mins - Dale brought on Inman, Cannon and Davies, taking Gillam, Done and Camps off. The next 20 mins was attritional with Charlton diving around a lot at every opportunity. Dale reverted to 352, and pushed the Addicks back but the final ball was delayed. Charlton brought on a centre half to hang onto their lead. In the dying minutes Hendo missed the chance to equalise, when he scuffed an Inman knock down - into the ground which the Charlton keeper tipped over. Further pressure was dissipated by more time wasting and the whistle blew. 2-1. A tale of missed chances and better finishing from the opposition- and shows how hard it is to win away at the bigger clubs. Or in fact, win away at all!!

PS Gillam looks good and good to see him score.
Match thread: Charlton away on 23:30 - Nov 21 with 2472 viewsdingdangblue

Match thread: Charlton away on 23:09 - Nov 21 by rochdale_ranger

Agreed. Will be time to panic and contemplate getting a new manager if things are like this in January. A lot of people seem to think Hill bringing new faces in during the transfer window will help. I don’t, bringing in players and expecting them to gel and perform well when there is so much gloom around the club would be a job in itself. If we get a new manager in for the beginning of jan he would be able to use the transfer window to bring in his own players and rejuvenate the squad with new players and a fresh approach.

Why do you want to get rid of Hill so badly? Have you forgotten his previous 8/9 seasons greatness in the space of 4 months?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Match thread: Charlton away on 23:52 - Nov 21 with 2416 viewsrochdale_ranger

Match thread: Charlton away on 23:30 - Nov 21 by dingdangblue

Why do you want to get rid of Hill so badly? Have you forgotten his previous 8/9 seasons greatness in the space of 4 months?

I don’t want to get rid of Hill but if things are still like this in January then surely a fresh approach would be worth thinking about. It’s only proper and adult to have a contingency plan in place should we still be in the bottom four come the end of December. I know there are a lot of people who call for Hills head every time we lose two on the trot which is silly, you seem to be at the other end of the spectrum and believe he should have a job for life come what may based upon his past successes. If it’s a gamble between the current stagnant brand of football and being in the bottom four (providing he doesn’t turn it around) in January or gambling on a new manager coming in and having ago at securing our league one status then I know which choice I would make. Giving a manager till January is more then fair considering our form and results.
Match thread: Charlton away on 07:53 - Nov 22 with 2205 viewsnordenblue

Match thread: Charlton away on 23:52 - Nov 21 by rochdale_ranger

I don’t want to get rid of Hill but if things are still like this in January then surely a fresh approach would be worth thinking about. It’s only proper and adult to have a contingency plan in place should we still be in the bottom four come the end of December. I know there are a lot of people who call for Hills head every time we lose two on the trot which is silly, you seem to be at the other end of the spectrum and believe he should have a job for life come what may based upon his past successes. If it’s a gamble between the current stagnant brand of football and being in the bottom four (providing he doesn’t turn it around) in January or gambling on a new manager coming in and having ago at securing our league one status then I know which choice I would make. Giving a manager till January is more then fair considering our form and results.

"Giving a manager till Jan is more than fair" you genuinely believe it's fair to a bloke who's provided the club's greatest ever achievements both on and off the pitch and continues to do so year on year,now things have got a bit sticky,we reward him by giving him the boot? Amazing

It's absolutely fooking neither fair nor right,id suggest you find some respect and back a man who has pulled the club from being a laughing stock for so long,whatever happens between now and Jan......
Match thread: Charlton away on 08:48 - Nov 22 with 2132 viewsoddjob007

"Give him until Jan" - wow. Get a grip.
Match thread: Charlton away on 10:06 - Nov 22 with 2061 viewsFred_Talbot

Match thread: Charlton away on 23:01 - Nov 21 by dingdangblue

Fortunately no one gets relegated on Saturday!
I wish people would hold their nerve. It's a long season and Hill is our best manager ever. The way some fans have turned against him or don't trust him to turn it around is quite frankly embarrassing. After everything he's done for this club and all the great seasons he's brought us it's sad.

^^^This^^^

Where's Fred?

Match thread: Charlton away on 10:11 - Nov 22 with 2050 viewsParkinsGimp

Match thread: Charlton away on 21:19 - Nov 21 by TVOS1907

He's already on

So making a really good impression then , surely cant miss such a lump as that!
Shocking defending again..Daniels ?? Really?
Match thread: Charlton away on 10:17 - Nov 22 with 2041 viewsRAFCBLUE

Match thread: Charlton away on 07:53 - Nov 22 by nordenblue

"Giving a manager till Jan is more than fair" you genuinely believe it's fair to a bloke who's provided the club's greatest ever achievements both on and off the pitch and continues to do so year on year,now things have got a bit sticky,we reward him by giving him the boot? Amazing

It's absolutely fooking neither fair nor right,id suggest you find some respect and back a man who has pulled the club from being a laughing stock for so long,whatever happens between now and Jan......

To add to that great post NB:

Generally, changing you manager in January does not lead to significant improvement in league position, since the players creating the results are the ones that need to change.

To make it specific to us - why would we choose to get rid of a manager who has delivered consistent year-on-year improvement since 2007 on and off the field.

Hill is here, not matter what for the next few seasons and has my full support and that of the vast majority at this football club.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Match thread: Charlton away on 10:49 - Nov 22 with 2002 viewsrochdale_ranger

Match thread: Charlton away on 07:53 - Nov 22 by nordenblue

I don't want Hill to go I want him to do well and turn things around. I also want my club to be in league one next season as oppose to being back in the "Rochdale division" If your of the opinion that Hill should stay no matter what then thats upto you, personally I want the best for the club and to achieve that I beleive we need to remain a league one side. As I have said I respect Hill as a manager and like him as a person but this is modern football and it's a fickle game, just as soon as Barnsley came in for him he was off to bigger championship club. As magnificent of a job Hill has done my loyalties lie with RAFC. If we are still playing like this and not picking results up in january then it's obvious a fresh approach is needed. Giving him until January is far from a knee jerk reaction.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2017 10:54]
Match thread: Charlton away on 11:28 - Nov 22 with 1940 viewsTVOS1907

Match thread: Charlton away on 10:11 - Nov 22 by ParkinsGimp

So making a really good impression then , surely cant miss such a lump as that!
Shocking defending again..Daniels ?? Really?

You thought Mendez-Laing was rubbish as well.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match thread: Charlton away on 12:00 - Nov 22 with 1906 viewsnordenblue

Match thread: Charlton away on 10:49 - Nov 22 by rochdale_ranger

I don't want Hill to go I want him to do well and turn things around. I also want my club to be in league one next season as oppose to being back in the "Rochdale division" If your of the opinion that Hill should stay no matter what then thats upto you, personally I want the best for the club and to achieve that I beleive we need to remain a league one side. As I have said I respect Hill as a manager and like him as a person but this is modern football and it's a fickle game, just as soon as Barnsley came in for him he was off to bigger championship club. As magnificent of a job Hill has done my loyalties lie with RAFC. If we are still playing like this and not picking results up in january then it's obvious a fresh approach is needed. Giving him until January is far from a knee jerk reaction.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2017 10:54]

Your post contradicts itself,surely by wanting what's best for the club you'd want the best manager to give us the best chance to remain competitive,this has been proven year on year who that bloke is?

There's no guarantee that a change of manager would necessarily lead to an improvement in results either bearing in mind he'll inherit someone else's players in the whole.

If you weigh up the success already achieved by Hilly over the timescale that's steadily improved over in relation to the current poor form,it's the perfect definition of a knee jerk reaction.....

Give me 2 other managers you'd prefer to have a better chance of success here for your "fresh approach" come Jan?
Match thread: Charlton away on 12:26 - Nov 22 with 1861 viewsrochdale_ranger

Match thread: Charlton away on 12:00 - Nov 22 by nordenblue

Your post contradicts itself,surely by wanting what's best for the club you'd want the best manager to give us the best chance to remain competitive,this has been proven year on year who that bloke is?

There's no guarantee that a change of manager would necessarily lead to an improvement in results either bearing in mind he'll inherit someone else's players in the whole.

If you weigh up the success already achieved by Hilly over the timescale that's steadily improved over in relation to the current poor form,it's the perfect definition of a knee jerk reaction.....

Give me 2 other managers you'd prefer to have a better chance of success here for your "fresh approach" come Jan?

It would be upto the board to pick a manager based on what the club can afford. I don't have all the answers as Im sure you don't. Having a plan B in place if things don't pick up is surely not unreasonable.Are you happy for Hill to stay if we go down? Like Ive said I hope he does turn things around. If we get ten points from our next five games then Im sure we'll all be a little less nervous.The only trouble is we have nothing to suggest that it will turn around.
Match thread: Charlton away on 12:41 - Nov 22 with 1814 viewsnordenblue

Match thread: Charlton away on 12:26 - Nov 22 by rochdale_ranger

It would be upto the board to pick a manager based on what the club can afford. I don't have all the answers as Im sure you don't. Having a plan B in place if things don't pick up is surely not unreasonable.Are you happy for Hill to stay if we go down? Like Ive said I hope he does turn things around. If we get ten points from our next five games then Im sure we'll all be a little less nervous.The only trouble is we have nothing to suggest that it will turn around.

It's fine to say the club should do this and that but like you say we are saying this without knowing even any of the facts.

You've posed a question or a statement so please back it up with a reasoned answer,if you sacked him now give me 3 better managers for the club,factor in the umpteen years wed have to pay Hilly off too?

His constant success here would lead me to believe he is certainly the right man to turn it around without a shadow of a doubt,if that involves in stint in league 2 then so be it, but what we def don't want to be is a club constantly chopping and changing as a knee jerk reaction to a few bad results and paying off managers/players left right and centre........our success has been based largely on a foundation of stability
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024