Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pompey 10:19 - Aug 10 with 2395 viewskingsburyR

Saved (for now) but without a senior player surely the 5/6 on offer for relegation is a banker?

Does anyone know if they can sign players in this window?

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Pompey on 10:21 - Aug 10 with 1873 viewsLewes_r

I suppose at that level having a big intimidating crowd can really help even if your players are gash.

I certainly wouldnt put money on them going down with those odds

Poll: Who do we want down with us and Burnley?

Pompey on 10:30 - Aug 10 with 1846 viewsadhoc_qpr

What a shock - irresponsible football club not actually forced out of business...

They have a whole teams worth of players on trial waiting to sign, who have been there for most of pre-season.

The most shameful thing for me was them moaning about Dave Kitson and Liam Lawrence's wages - when they signed them both having already been relegated, in admin and in a breif respite from a transfer embargo on £20K a week!
Pompey on 10:32 - Aug 10 with 1837 viewsLewes_r

Pompey on 10:30 - Aug 10 by adhoc_qpr

What a shock - irresponsible football club not actually forced out of business...

They have a whole teams worth of players on trial waiting to sign, who have been there for most of pre-season.

The most shameful thing for me was them moaning about Dave Kitson and Liam Lawrence's wages - when they signed them both having already been relegated, in admin and in a breif respite from a transfer embargo on £20K a week!

Add to that the fact that they stitched up many "normal" people that they owed money to.. And yet we able to sign kitson afterwards

I wont grieve for them thats for sure

Poll: Who do we want down with us and Burnley?

Pompey on 10:34 - Aug 10 with 1827 viewsJamie

The club wanted the players gone, the players were happy to stay, the club says its about to be liquidated and suddenly fans and media shame the players into writing off millions of pounds and leaving...

Meanwhile, they have outbid numerous clubs to sign Izale McLeod:

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-past/pompey-switch-is-a-no-brain
Pompey on 10:48 - Aug 10 with 1795 viewsVish

Pompey on 10:34 - Aug 10 by Jamie

The club wanted the players gone, the players were happy to stay, the club says its about to be liquidated and suddenly fans and media shame the players into writing off millions of pounds and leaving...

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-past/pompey-switch-is-a-no-brain

can't believe McLeod is only 27!
Pompey on 11:08 - Aug 10 with 1749 viewskingsburyR

Pompey on 10:34 - Aug 10 by Jamie

How can that happen?

Wont be taking a chance on them after all!!!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Pompey on 11:23 - Aug 10 with 1714 viewsJamie

Pompey on 11:08 - Aug 10 by kingsburyR

How can that happen?

Wont be taking a chance on them after all!!!

Because fans and the media have bought into the 'boo-hoo poor old Pompey' theory.

Whilst the media have been telling us we should 'pray for Pompey', theyve been writing off 96p/£1 of their debts, shaming the players into writing off millions whilst outbidding clubs who live within their means.
Pompey on 11:27 - Aug 10 with 1699 viewsgordanoR

I hate them because of this absolute weapon.

Login to get fewer ads

Pompey on 11:29 - Aug 10 with 1689 viewsNorthernr

Pompey on 11:23 - Aug 10 by Jamie

Because fans and the media have bought into the 'boo-hoo poor old Pompey' theory.

Whilst the media have been telling us we should 'pray for Pompey', theyve been writing off 96p/£1 of their debts, shaming the players into writing off millions whilst outbidding clubs who live within their means.

Absolutely right. And the very second that embargo is lifted it will all begin again - money they don't have on players they can't afford to climb to a level they shouldn't be able to reach.

As said, I lost all sympathy for them when the broke away from negotiations over their previous CVA briefly to sign Dave Kitson and Liam Lawrence on £20k+ a week.
Pompey on 11:30 - Aug 10 with 1681 viewsadhoc_qpr

Very dubious logic from the admins for me.

If they have one player earning £36K a week they will be liquidated, but if they get rid of him and replace him with 11 players on say £3k a week they'll be fine?

Pompey on 11:31 - Aug 10 with 1681 viewsadhoc_qpr

Very dubious logic from the admins for me.

If they have one player earning £36K a week they will be liquidated, but if they get rid of him and replace him with 11 players on say £3k a week they'll be fine?

Pompey on 11:41 - Aug 10 with 1655 viewsTrom

Pompey on 11:29 - Aug 10 by Northernr

Absolutely right. And the very second that embargo is lifted it will all begin again - money they don't have on players they can't afford to climb to a level they shouldn't be able to reach.

As said, I lost all sympathy for them when the broke away from negotiations over their previous CVA briefly to sign Dave Kitson and Liam Lawrence on £20k+ a week.

Bit rough on the average supporter who presumably had no say in what the board did at that time.

Personally I think it's the supporters who suffer and the money people that walk away writing off big debts.

I don't feel I personally was responsible when we went into admin after Wright pulled his backing. The trouble is the people that caused the mess leave and the supporters remain.

So personally I have every sympathy for them.
Pompey on 11:43 - Aug 10 with 1645 viewsBluce_Ree

Pompey on 11:41 - Aug 10 by Trom

Bit rough on the average supporter who presumably had no say in what the board did at that time.

Personally I think it's the supporters who suffer and the money people that walk away writing off big debts.

I don't feel I personally was responsible when we went into admin after Wright pulled his backing. The trouble is the people that caused the mess leave and the supporters remain.

I don't. Their fans are dicks.

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

Pompey on 11:53 - Aug 10 with 1607 viewseghamranger

Laughable thing is was that Kiton, Lawrence,Kanu and Ben Haim are very average players and Ben Haim was on 36k a week. Crazy money!
Pompey on 12:14 - Aug 10 with 1563 viewsJamie

Pompey on 11:41 - Aug 10 by Trom

I didnt see the Pompey Supporters Trust picketing the club to NOT go out and blow a fortune on players they could never hope to afford and so cannot offer any sympathy to their plight. If our carefree spending falls down around QPR's ears, I wouldnt expect any sympathy from any other supporters. We know QPR cannot afford the players they are signing now, just as Pompey fans knew they couldnt afford the ones they were signing. Its a bit hypocritical to celebrate on the way up and beg for forgiveness on the way down.

The media were lauding their mate 'Arry when he had them winning an FA Cup in a horrifically overextended position and then savaged Ben-Haim etc. for sticking to the contracts they were given in that period.

Its hard to feel sympathy for multi-millionaire footballers, but ultimately the players there have been shamed into writing off millions of pounds of money they earned for the 'honour' of saving Pompey.

Ben-Haim has been made a total pariah for the fact that he accepted a massive contract and decided to stick to it. The poor bloke has no hope of ever getting another club over here through no fault of his own. He deserves some sympathy, not Portsmouth.
Pompey on 12:23 - Aug 10 with 1547 viewsbaz_qpr

Sorry can't feel sympathy for someone sitting on a £1.8m a year contract whilst the club goes to the wall. Its greed in its purist form nothing more nothing less. He will have made several million in his career, how much is enough?
Pompey on 12:31 - Aug 10 with 1532 viewsJamie

Pompey on 12:23 - Aug 10 by baz_qpr

Sorry can't feel sympathy for someone sitting on a £1.8m a year contract whilst the club goes to the wall. Its greed in its purist form nothing more nothing less. He will have made several million in his career, how much is enough?

And who gave him the contract he was sitting on?

Equally how many millions has he had to write off to 'save' Pompey?
Pompey on 12:33 - Aug 10 with 1530 viewstoboboly

Pompey on 12:23 - Aug 10 by baz_qpr

Pompey's fault for offering him that contract.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Pompey on 12:54 - Aug 10 with 1498 viewsbaz_qpr

Pompey on 12:31 - Aug 10 by Jamie

And who gave him the contract he was sitting on?

Equally how many millions has he had to write off to 'save' Pompey?

So what - Why should a multi millionaire deserve my sympathy for missing out on further millions. Its not as if he did not know they had no money or there was no risk in accepting that contract. If I offered to give you 2 million pounds to work for me for a period of time would you not check that I had the money to pay you?
Pompey on 13:10 - Aug 10 with 1466 viewsJamie

Pompey on 12:54 - Aug 10 by baz_qpr

So what - Why should a multi millionaire deserve my sympathy for missing out on further millions. Its not as if he did not know they had no money or there was no risk in accepting that contract. If I offered to give you 2 million pounds to work for me for a period of time would you not check that I had the money to pay you?

No, I and everyone else would sign the legally binding contract and then pursue you for every last penny if you failed to pay up.
Pompey on 13:11 - Aug 10 with 1463 viewsJeff

Pompey on 12:54 - Aug 10 by baz_qpr

are you suggesting the footballers should perform due diligence before signing for clubs?

Can we not knock it?

Pompey on 13:19 - Aug 10 with 1441 viewsJamie

It's also worth pointing out that Ben-Haim has only actually been paid £5k/week since administration in 2010 so has racked up £3m in accrued wages with the club. Clearly £250k per year is a great salary still but £3m is a shitload of money to write off.
Pompey on 13:25 - Aug 10 with 1429 viewsTrom

Pompey on 12:14 - Aug 10 by Jamie

I didnt see the Pompey Supporters Trust picketing the club to NOT go out and blow a fortune on players they could never hope to afford and so cannot offer any sympathy to their plight. If our carefree spending falls down around QPR's ears, I wouldnt expect any sympathy from any other supporters. We know QPR cannot afford the players they are signing now, just as Pompey fans knew they couldnt afford the ones they were signing. Its a bit hypocritical to celebrate on the way up and beg for forgiveness on the way down.

The media were lauding their mate 'Arry when he had them winning an FA Cup in a horrifically overextended position and then savaged Ben-Haim etc. for sticking to the contracts they were given in that period.

Its hard to feel sympathy for multi-millionaire footballers, but ultimately the players there have been shamed into writing off millions of pounds of money they earned for the 'honour' of saving Pompey.

Ben-Haim has been made a total pariah for the fact that he accepted a massive contract and decided to stick to it. The poor bloke has no hope of ever getting another club over here through no fault of his own. He deserves some sympathy, not Portsmouth.

"I didnt see the Pompey Supporters Trust picketing the club to NOT go out and blow a fortune on players they could never hope to afford and so cannot offer any sympathy to their plight"

It's the same as QPRs situation right now. My point is that it's not the fans that make these decisions so to blame them and feel no sympathy is harsh. A lot of clubs are reliant on their financial backers and spending big is a risk if those backers walk. There is very little a supporters trust can do to affect this in my opinion.

I have less sympathy for the footballers writing of millions.
Pompey on 13:27 - Aug 10 with 1423 viewsTacticalR

Isn't the only difference between Portsmouth and Man City that Man City's sugar daddy actually had some sugar?

And is it right that players are publicly singled out (and forced out) while the current owners scurry around in the shadows, and previous owners lay claim to land surrounding the ground?

Anyway, according to this article Portsmouth council is getting involved to try and keep the club going by loaning the club money (at interest) against future Premier League parachute payments:

Pompey Suppporters' Trust gets Council seal of approval
http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/portsmouth/fb_news.php?storyid=17813&title

Air hostess clique

Pompey on 13:27 - Aug 10 with 550 viewsVish

Pompey on 13:19 - Aug 10 by Jamie

It's also worth pointing out that Ben-Haim has only actually been paid £5k/week since administration in 2010 so has racked up £3m in accrued wages with the club. Clearly £250k per year is a great salary still but £3m is a shitload of money to write off.

agree with that. no matter what he earns, he has a right to that money.

his proper salary of £36k/week may be a lot, however from when he signed that contract he may have made provisions in his life on what to do with that cash.

Who knows, maybe he has a training camp or something similar back in Isreal that he funds himself. losing this money is a big deal for him, as it would be for most people.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024