Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
tour of scotland..... 20:49 - Oct 17 with 2395 viewsqpr_1968

by car....
anyone done it...

west coast to the east, and down through england.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

tour of scotland..... on 21:42 - Oct 17 with 1922 viewsstowmarketrange

I did it 35 years ago but no doubt it’s changed since then.
I just saw an article in an old telegraph holiday supplement and it mentions the north coast 500.
It begins in Inverness and winds over to the west coast and up to Durness on the north coast,across to Thurso and down the east coast back to Inverness.
There is a firm that arranges hotels and car hire so you might be able to pick up some tips from their website.
It’s called absoluteescapes.com and they offer an 11 day package for £1370pp,but I’m sure you could arrange it yourself much cheaper.
I just googled north coast 500 and there are lots of options on there including maps of the route.
[Post edited 17 Oct 21:44]
tour of scotland..... on 21:47 - Oct 17 with 1888 viewsBoston

Yes, about 45 years ago. Four lads on the drink, we had a great time.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

tour of scotland..... on 21:53 - Oct 17 with 1868 viewsqpr_1968

cheers chaps, i will be doing it next year.....
3 week tour....
been putting off for the last 25 years...

tour of scotland..... on 23:17 - Oct 17 with 1792 viewsBoston

US Navy has gone know but....we were drinking on the balcony of a pub overlooking a loch in Sandbank(just north of Dunoon), when with no warning, a humongous submarine surfaced right in front of us. Absolutely breathtaking.
[Post edited 17 Oct 23:21]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

tour of scotland..... on 23:39 - Oct 17 with 1763 viewsjoe90

tour of scotland..... on 21:42 - Oct 17 by stowmarketrange

I just saw an article in an old telegraph holiday supplement and it mentions the north coast 500.
It begins in Inverness and winds over to the west coast and up to Durness on the north coast,across to Thurso and down the east coast back to Inverness.
There is a firm that arranges hotels and car hire so you might be able to pick up some tips from their website.
It’s called absoluteescapes.com and they offer an 11 day package for £1370pp,but I’m sure you could arrange it yourself much cheaper.
I just googled north coast 500 and there are lots of options on there including maps of the route.

Summer 2023 went up with the family. We got the Caledonian Sleeper to Inverness where we picked up a camper-van. We followed the North Coast 500 with a few detours. It was one of the best holidays I’ve had. Highly recommend it!

@qpr_1968 - If you need any tips/recommendations let me know and I can DM you.
tour of scotland..... on 23:42 - Oct 17 with 1759 viewsqueensparker

Highly recommend it - its lovely up there, breathtaking scenery, nice people, clean air, good whisky, shitty/non-existent phone signal.
tour of scotland..... on 23:58 - Oct 17 with 1740 viewsstowmarketrange

tour of scotland..... on 23:42 - Oct 17 by queensparker

Highly recommend it - its lovely up there, breathtaking scenery, nice people, clean air, good whisky, shitty/non-existent phone signal.

You forgot to mention the midges.
tour of scotland..... on 05:48 - Oct 18 with 1647 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Really is a beautiful part of the world.

Three years ago did a loop from Edinburgh up to Inverness, then from there, we did the walked part of the West Highlands way (i think its called) but down the side of Loch Ness. As beautiful as NZ.

The train from Fort William to Glasgow has some stunning views (Glasgow is a good night out) and we've enjoyed the Isle of Aran a few times, and want to do more on the islands.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Login to get fewer ads

tour of scotland..... on 08:10 - Oct 18 with 1566 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Funnily enough I have just had three nights in Dunblane and we said we would like to have a few weeks driving up via the Lake District and spend a fortnight up in Scotland just going from place to place. It's so beautiful and despite the rivalry I find the Scots a really nice bunch.
[Post edited 18 Oct 8:38]
tour of scotland..... on 08:49 - Oct 18 with 1493 viewshantssi

Must visit Glen Coe, breathtaking.
Avoid Aviemore, it was a run down dump last time I went there 40 years ago!!
tour of scotland..... on 12:40 - Oct 18 with 1365 viewsW7Ranger

tour of scotland..... on 23:58 - Oct 17 by stowmarketrange

You forgot to mention the midges.

tour of scotland..... on 12:43 - Oct 18 with 1352 viewsthame_hoops

tour of scotland..... on 08:49 - Oct 18 by hantssi

Must visit Glen Coe, breathtaking.
Avoid Aviemore, it was a run down dump last time I went there 40 years ago!!

Glencoe was so pretty....make sure you get in the tourist 'James Bond Skyfall' Road

Aviemore was ok.... definitely not run down or a dump!
tour of scotland..... on 12:43 - Oct 18 with 1348 viewsthame_hoops

tour of scotland..... on 21:42 - Oct 17 by stowmarketrange

"no doubt its changed since then"? Ya think?!! haha
tour of scotland..... on 13:09 - Oct 18 with 1319 viewskernowhoop

It's the west coast that has the real wow factor.
tour of scotland..... on 13:19 - Oct 18 with 1301 viewsSydneyRs

Did it late 90s for a couple of weeks. Brilliant trip.

Did east then West. Glasgow, Edinburgh, Stirling, Inverness, Ullapool, Isle of Skye, Fort William, Loch Ness/Lomond, etc.
tour of scotland..... on 13:31 - Oct 18 with 1288 viewsW13R

We mainly did the West Coast a few years ago around October time so less midges about. It's still one of the best short breaks we have ever done. Here's a few suggestions but as you can imagine there is so much to see by just driving around.

Fly or train to Inverness and get yourself a hire car, we based ourselves in a lovely Airbnb in Invergarry as it was central to everywhere we wanted to visit.

Loch Ness - Grab a boat ride, it's a must!
Invermoristan Falls
Glen Affric
Fort Augustus
Cairngorm National Park
Dalwhinnie distillery
Glencoe - A must see, absolutely stunning!
Fort William
Ben Nevis
Skye

Bloody love Scotland and have never had any issues with the locals, always found them pleasant and welcoming.
tour of scotland..... on 13:51 - Oct 18 with 1264 viewsR_from_afar

While you are on the west coast, you might like to visit this place. It's just south of Ayr, on the west coast.

Dumfries & Galloway, in the south west, is wonderful, the scenery changes frequently, from wild heath to gently rolling farmland, plus it's not touristy, yet...

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

tour of scotland..... on 14:00 - Oct 18 with 1249 viewsthame_hoops

tour of scotland..... on 13:31 - Oct 18 by W13R

We mainly did the West Coast a few years ago around October time so less midges about. It's still one of the best short breaks we have ever done. Here's a few suggestions but as you can imagine there is so much to see by just driving around.

Fly or train to Inverness and get yourself a hire car, we based ourselves in a lovely Airbnb in Invergarry as it was central to everywhere we wanted to visit.

Invermoristan Falls
Glen Affric
Fort Augustus
Cairngorm National Park
Dalwhinnie distillery
Fort William
Ben Nevis
Skye

Bloody love Scotland and have never had any issues with the locals, always found them pleasant and welcoming.

I love it up there, id happily retire somewhere there in 20 years. I keep meaning to just drive up again for long weekends. The Cairngorms were spectacular.

I found the locals friendly too except in Edinburgh. my partner at the time was American so I just made her order our food and they were fine.

I went mid august and no issue with Midges, even at an airBnB where we has a big pond outside it was fine. but ive heard horror stories
tour of scotland..... on 14:16 - Oct 18 with 1220 viewsR_from_afar

tour of scotland..... on 14:00 - Oct 18 by thame_hoops

I love it up there, id happily retire somewhere there in 20 years. I keep meaning to just drive up again for long weekends. The Cairngorms were spectacular.

I found the locals friendly too except in Edinburgh. my partner at the time was American so I just made her order our food and they were fine.

I went mid august and no issue with Midges, even at an airBnB where we has a big pond outside it was fine. but ive heard horror stories

This website is useful for checking the midge situation. Generalising hugely, the problem is not too bad except in the north west, above Oban.
https://www.smidgeup.com/midge-forecast/

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

tour of scotland..... on 14:30 - Oct 18 with 1206 viewsPlanetHonneywood

tour of scotland..... on 13:31 - Oct 18 by W13R

Invermoristan Falls
Glen Affric
Fort Augustus
Cairngorm National Park
Dalwhinnie distillery
Fort William
Ben Nevis
Skye

Only trouble with Skye, it's invariably at 12.30 or 5.30 on Saturdays!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

tour of scotland..... on 15:59 - Oct 18 with 1123 viewshantssi

Did the Aonach Eagach Ridge last time I was there, doubt I’d try it again 40 or so years on!

[Post edited 18 Oct 16:14]
tour of scotland..... on 20:32 - Oct 18 with 944 viewsstowmarketrange

tour of scotland..... on 15:59 - Oct 18 by hantssi

Did the Aonach Eagach Ridge last time I was there, doubt I’d try it again 40 or so years on!

Not a chance I’d try that.Glen Coe looks lovely though.
tour of scotland..... on 21:23 - Oct 18 with 887 viewsR_from_afar

tour of scotland..... on 15:59 - Oct 18 by hantssi

Looks tricky, eek

Apparently, the ridge - an arete, akshully - between Austria's highest peak and the neighbouring summit is so terrifyingly narrow that some expedition leaders encourage less experienced climbers in their group to do it blindfolded. Double eek

tour of scotland..... on 22:28 - Oct 18 with 797 viewsqpr_1968

tour of scotland..... on 23:39 - Oct 17 by joe90

Summer 2023 went up with the family. We got the Caledonian Sleeper to Inverness where we picked up a camper-van. We followed the North Coast 500 with a few detours. It was one of the best holidays I’ve had. Highly recommend it!

@qpr_1968 - If you need any tips/recommendations let me know and I can DM you.

cheers joe...

tour of scotland..... on 10:24 - Oct 19 with 619 viewsdsw2509

That was a great video of Aonach Eagach, thanks for putting it up. There are so many other great scrambling/climbing routes in the highlands. My favourite was An Teallach-very memorable for Lord Berkeley’s Seat (look it up). I wimped out. Pinnacle Ridge on Skye is pretty full on too.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024