Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Has our defence got weaker or is Ramsdale just not that good? 17:39 - Oct 5 with 2896 viewssaintmark1976

Mccarthy, two goals conceded in two Premiership games this season.Average 1.0 per game.

Ramsdale, thirteen goals conceded in five Premiership games this season.Average 2.6 per game.

Another £ 18 million well spent by our clueless Recruitment Team ? Because at his current rate Ramsdale will easily add to his record of twice previously being the keeper in a team relegated from The Premiership.

Poll: Who is responsible for our poor start to the season?

Has our defence got weaker or is Ramsdale just not that good? on 18:10 - Oct 5 with 2808 viewscocklebreath

Clueless

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Has our defence got weaker or is Ramsdale just not that good? on 18:17 - Oct 5 with 2791 viewsdirk_doone

It sounds like you haven't been watching the games. Ramsdale has been excellent. He has saved us from much heavier defeats. If only our other players were as good as him, we wouldn't be anywhere near the relegation zone.
[Post edited 5 Oct 18:19]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Has our defence got weaker or is Ramsdale just not that good? on 18:27 - Oct 5 with 2729 viewsgrumpy

Did you see the Arsenal game?
Has our defence got weaker or is Ramsdale just not that good? on 18:32 - Oct 5 with 2707 views1885_SFC

I swear the OP is McCarthy's dad...

Old School is Cool

Has our defence got weaker or is Ramsdale just not that good? on 18:33 - Oct 5 with 2693 viewssaintwizzler

Prize Prick

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Front two for WHU game?

Has our defence got weaker or is Ramsdale just not that good? on 18:38 - Oct 5 with 2685 viewsCity_boy

How many times have you seen McCarthy play ? Guessing you missed the Newcastle game or the number of times in recent seasons he was beaten at the near post and from distance.

These posts about Ramsdale are nothing more than 'clickbait. Time to ignore them.'
[Post edited 5 Oct 18:41]
Has our defence got weaker or is Ramsdale just not that good? on 19:12 - Oct 5 with 2579 viewscocklebreath

Do we have another pet skate on the forum?

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Has our defence got weaker or is Ramsdale just not that good? on 20:18 - Oct 5 with 2472 viewsmushinexile

First class keeper, tourist class defence. It isn't his fault we're losing games.
Login to get fewer ads

Has our defence got weaker or is Ramsdale just not that good? on 20:28 - Oct 5 with 2456 viewssaint22

What a silly post

It’s what’s in front of him that’s the problem but him
Has our defence got weaker or is Ramsdale just not that good? on 23:33 - Oct 5 with 2300 viewssaintmark1976

Has our defence got weaker or is Ramsdale just not that good? on 19:12 - Oct 5 by cocklebreath

Do we have another pet skate on the forum?

No, just a Saints season ticket holder of many seasons standing who perhaps is prepared to ask questions rather than just follow the herd.

Let’s have a look at some facts:-

I believe that I’m correct in saying that Ramsdale has twice been the keeper in a team relegated from The Premiership.

Season 2019/20 Bournemouth, played 37 games and let in 65 goals, average 1.75 per game.

Season 2020/21 Sheffield Utd, played 38 games and let in 63 goals, average 1.66 per game.

Season 2024 25 Southampton so far, played 5 games and let in 13 goals, average 2.60 per game.

So, if our results continue on the basis of his and the team’s performances so far, he will let in a further 81 goals by season end with our relegation absolutely assured I would suggest.

Logically there are only two possible conclusions:-

A. Our defence is currently considerably worse than Bournemouth or Sheffield Utd’s when they were relegated.

B. Ramsdale is not as good a keeper as he previously was or perhaps some people currently think he is.

Given that Arsenal were apparently happy to let him go, I’m drifting towards conclusion B. Others may prefer conclusion A. which of course is their prerogative.

Either way round it doesn’t look very good for our prospects going forward does it ?
[Post edited 5 Oct 23:56]

Has our defence got weaker or is Ramsdale just not that good? on 17:38 - Oct 6 with 1926 viewsTripleNiemi

We get the picture, you don’t like Ramsdale……

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Has our defence got weaker or is Ramsdale just not that good? on 11:14 - Oct 7 with 1734 viewsSaintNick

Has our defence got weaker or is Ramsdale just not that good? on 23:33 - Oct 5 by saintmark1976

No, just a Saints season ticket holder of many seasons standing who perhaps is prepared to ask questions rather than just follow the herd.

I believe that I’m correct in saying that Ramsdale has twice been the keeper in a team relegated from The Premiership.

Season 2019/20 Bournemouth, played 37 games and let in 65 goals, average 1.75 per game.

Season 2020/21 Sheffield Utd, played 38 games and let in 63 goals, average 1.66 per game.

Season 2024 25 Southampton so far, played 5 games and let in 13 goals, average 2.60 per game.

So, if our results continue on the basis of his and the team’s performances so far, he will let in a further 81 goals by season end with our relegation absolutely assured I would suggest.

A. Our defence is currently considerably worse than Bournemouth or Sheffield Utd’s when they were relegated.

B. Ramsdale is not as good a keeper as he previously was or perhaps some people currently think he is.

Given that Arsenal were apparently happy to let him go, I’m drifting towards conclusion B. Others may prefer conclusion A. which of course is their prerogative.

Either way round it doesn’t look very good for our prospects going forward does it ?

Whether Ramsdale was in two relegated teams is of no real significance, Jordan Pickford was relegated in his first season as Sunderland's first choice.

But let look at your facts

2019/20 Bournemouth relegated but Ramsdale was voted player of the year.

2020/21 Moved to Sheffield United for £18.5 million, they were relegated but he was again voted player of the year

2021/22 Moved to Arsenal, in season 22/23 he won the goalkeeper of the year at the London Football Awards, and was also in the PFA Premier League team of the year.

2023/24 Although he was acknowledged as the best goalkeeper in the Premier League by his peers in the previous season, Arteta strangely signed David Raya and put him straight in the team, ironically it is rumoured that he didn't think Ramsdale was good enough with his feet.

In 1982 Southampton signed the undisputed best Goalkeeper in the World in Peter Shilton, in his first 7 league games he conceded 18 goals thats an average of just under 2.6 a game at 2.57.

Logically there was only two conclusions

1. Our defence was cr*p and it wasn't his fault

2. Shilton was not the best keeper in the World

As I mentioned above Arteta was not happy with his ability to play with his feet to the level he wanted and he had the money to get what he saw as an upgrade, perhaps only a slight one, but these are the little tweaks that might be the difference between winning something and not.

Who was the man who signed Raya for Brentford ? Perhaps their Director of football Rasmus Ankersen

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Has our defence got weaker or is Ramsdale just not that good? on 11:47 - Oct 7 with 1712 viewssaintwizzler

Has our defence got weaker or is Ramsdale just not that good? on 11:14 - Oct 7 by SaintNick

Whether Ramsdale was in two relegated teams is of no real significance, Jordan Pickford was relegated in his first season as Sunderland's first choice.

2020/21 Moved to Sheffield United for £18.5 million, they were relegated but he was again voted player of the year

2021/22 Moved to Arsenal, in season 22/23 he won the goalkeeper of the year at the London Football Awards, and was also in the PFA Premier League team of the year.

2023/24 Although he was acknowledged as the best goalkeeper in the Premier League by his peers in the previous season, Arteta strangely signed David Raya and put him straight in the team, ironically it is rumoured that he didn't think Ramsdale was good enough with his feet.

In 1982 Southampton signed the undisputed best Goalkeeper in the World in Peter Shilton, in his first 7 league games he conceded 18 goals thats an average of just under 2.6 a game at 2.57.

As I mentioned above Arteta was not happy with his ability to play with his feet to the level he wanted and he had the money to get what he saw as an upgrade, perhaps only a slight one, but these are the little tweaks that might be the difference between winning something and not.

Who was the man who signed Raya for Brentford ? Perhaps their Director of football Rasmus Ankersen

Arsenal’s 2nd and 3rd were down to Sugawara.
Sleeping/ball watching and overplaying.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Front two for WHU game?

Has our defence got weaker or is Ramsdale just not that good? on 11:56 - Oct 7 with 1698 viewsPatfromPoole

Has our defence got weaker or is Ramsdale just not that good? on 23:33 - Oct 5 by saintmark1976

Option A.

And we don't play in the Premiership. It hasn't existed since 2007.

Poll: Would you take Ward-Prowse back?

Has our defence got weaker or is Ramsdale just not that good? on 14:43 - Oct 7 with 1590 viewssaintmark1976

Has our defence got weaker or is Ramsdale just not that good? on 11:14 - Oct 7 by SaintNick

Nick, to be honest I’m not particularly interested in whether Ramsdale was player/ goalkeeper of the year at his previous clubs. He’s now a Saints player and his previous accolades are exactly that, in the past.

Without doubt you are correct in that at the time of signing, Shilton was acknowledged as the best goalkeeper in the world and was a regular first choice for England, something of course that Ramsdale currently isn’t. Some of my happiest memories at The Dell were watching Shilton.

Please correct me should I be wrong but weren’t two of the games in Shilton’s first seven, away at Spurs and Liverpool where the results were 6-0 and 5-0 respectively ?

So far Ramsdale has let in 3 goals four times already, once at home to a poor Man United and three further times at Brentford, Bournemouth and now Saturday.

Arsenal fair enough, they are a top team, but a poor Man Utd at home together with Brentford and Bournemouth ? It’s hardly what Shilton was up against at White Hart Lane and Anfield in 1982 is it ?

Despite your best efforts to compare him to Shilton, I remain unconvinced as to Ramsdale’s abilities but will be happy to be proven wrong should he come good during the remainder of the season.

Logically two conclusions we can agree on ?

1. Our current defence and that of early 1982 would appear to have considerable similarities.

2. Unlike Shilton in his time, Ramsdale is currently not the best goalkeeper in the world.

Has our defence got weaker or is Ramsdale just not that good? on 14:47 - Oct 7 with 1584 viewsPatfromPoole

Has our defence got weaker or is Ramsdale just not that good? on 14:43 - Oct 7 by saintmark1976

Nick, to be honest I’m not particularly interested in whether Ramsdale was player/ goalkeeper of the year at his previous clubs. He’s now a Saints player and his previous accolades are exactly that, in the past.

Without doubt you are correct in that at the time of signing, Shilton was acknowledged as the best goalkeeper in the world and was a regular first choice for England, something of course that Ramsdale currently isn’t. Some of my happiest memories at The Dell were watching Shilton.

Please correct me should I be wrong but weren’t two of the games in Shilton’s first seven, away at Spurs and Liverpool where the results were 6-0 and 5-0 respectively ?

So far Ramsdale has let in 3 goals four times already, once at home to a poor Man United and three further times at Brentford, Bournemouth and now Saturday.

Arsenal fair enough, they are a top team, but a poor Man Utd at home together with Brentford and Bournemouth ? It’s hardly what Shilton was up against at White Hart Lane and Anfield in 1982 is it ?

Despite your best efforts to compare him to Shilton, I remain unconvinced as to Ramsdale’s abilities but will be happy to be proven wrong should he come good during the remainder of the season.

1. Our current defence and that of early 1982 would appear to have considerable similarities.

2. Unlike Shilton in his time, Ramsdale is currently not the best goalkeeper in the world.

We could have two keepers in goal and we would still be in the bottom 3.

Poll: Would you take Ward-Prowse back?

Has our defence got weaker or is Ramsdale just not that good? on 15:06 - Oct 7 with 1560 viewsSaintNick

Has our defence got weaker or is Ramsdale just not that good? on 14:43 - Oct 7 by saintmark1976

Mark if you werent really bothered about what he did before he joined Saints, then you hid it well, your previous post you went to great lengths to highlight that he had been twice relegated with previous teams and his goals per game ratio.

I didn't compare Ramsdale to Shilton, i was emphasising that even the best goalkeepers concede goals if they have a shaky defence in front of them.

Yes he did let in those goals against Liverpool and Spurs, but we also lost 4-1 to newly promoted Watford at the Dell, conceded 2 goals in a 2-2 draw with Swedish part timers Norjkopping at the dell and a month later lost at Swansea 3-2, drew with Luton 3-3.

Again I didn.t compare him to Shilton, I just used it to emphasise that good goalkeepers still concede goals. There the comparisons end as we had a team in front of Shilton packed with experience and leadership.

The defence in 1982 included, Chris Nicholl, Mark Wright, it was in terms of experience stronger than what we have now, what changed things was that we then signed Mick Mills and Reuben Agboola stepped up to the plate, it still had leaders in it as well as youngsters and experience.

You don't seem to like Ramsdale, but what has he done wrong ? he hasn't made any errors as such yet, he has made some decent saves, in truth it could have been much worse than it was in all the games

You are right he is not the best goalkeeper in the world, but after his last game in the Premier League before joining Saints he was voted the best goalkeeper in the Premier League by his peers, so he isn't a bad keeper and significantly better than anyone else we have have at the club, we have far worse things to worry about than the goalkeeping position

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Has our defence got weaker or is Ramsdale just not that good? on 18:38 - Oct 7 with 1483 viewssaintmark1976

Has our defence got weaker or is Ramsdale just not that good? on 15:06 - Oct 7 by SaintNick

Mark if you werent really bothered about what he did before he joined Saints, then you hid it well, your previous post you went to great lengths to highlight that he had been twice relegated with previous teams and his goals per game ratio.

I didn't compare Ramsdale to Shilton, i was emphasising that even the best goalkeepers concede goals if they have a shaky defence in front of them.

Yes he did let in those goals against Liverpool and Spurs, but we also lost 4-1 to newly promoted Watford at the Dell, conceded 2 goals in a 2-2 draw with Swedish part timers Norjkopping at the dell and a month later lost at Swansea 3-2, drew with Luton 3-3.

Again I didn.t compare him to Shilton, I just used it to emphasise that good goalkeepers still concede goals. There the comparisons end as we had a team in front of Shilton packed with experience and leadership.

The defence in 1982 included, Chris Nicholl, Mark Wright, it was in terms of experience stronger than what we have now, what changed things was that we then signed Mick Mills and Reuben Agboola stepped up to the plate, it still had leaders in it as well as youngsters and experience.

You don't seem to like Ramsdale, but what has he done wrong ? he hasn't made any errors as such yet, he has made some decent saves, in truth it could have been much worse than it was in all the games

You are right he is not the best goalkeeper in the world, but after his last game in the Premier League before joining Saints he was voted the best goalkeeper in the Premier League by his peers, so he isn't a bad keeper and significantly better than anyone else we have have at the club, we have far worse things to worry about than the goalkeeping position

Nick, thanks for the response.

I had no need to hide anything, I’ve been very happy to base my thoughts purely on Ramsdale’s career record at Bournemouth and Sheffield Utd, the teams with which he was previously relegated . I reiterate that I’ve no interest whatsoever as to whether their fans or that matter other players liked him or not.

Do I personally dislike Ramsdale ? Of course not, I’ve never even met him. Perhaps I’m just disappointed that in the five games since his arrival our results haven’t exactly improved have they ? Maybe in the company of many other supporters, given the fanfare that preceded his arrival, I expected a points total of more than one from a possible fifteen with thirteen goals conceded.

Who knows, his and our fortunes may improve shortly because they certainly need to. If our current form continues unabated ( with or without a managerial change ) it’s not inconceivable that we won’t have a points total in double figures by season’s end.

In any event, thanks for confirming that I can still remember Saints games from forty two years ago.Some quality players to watch then. Sad to be reminded though that Chris Nicholl is no longer with us, together with the disgusting way Sports Republic handled his passing.

Has our defence got weaker or is Ramsdale just not that good? on 19:00 - Oct 7 with 1457 viewsBerber

So based on 7 games in total, and only 2 for McCarthy, you are prepared to conclude that Ramsdale is not a good keeper. (If you are using the McCarthy stats, and we know he is far from “good”). Your post really did make me laugh out loud.

Poll: How many wins this season sweepstake

Has our defence got weaker or is Ramsdale just not that good? on 20:34 - Oct 7 with 1383 viewssaintmark1976

Has our defence got weaker or is Ramsdale just not that good? on 19:00 - Oct 7 by Berber

So based on 7 games in total, and only 2 for McCarthy, you are prepared to conclude that Ramsdale is not a good keeper. (If you are using the McCarthy stats, and we know he is far from “good”). Your post really did make me laugh out loud.

Happy to have obliged you with a laugh Berber.

It’s always very satisfying to help those in need. Particularly to overcome despondency when our latest five fixtures have yielded but one point.

Has our defence got weaker or is Ramsdale just not that good? on 10:45 - Oct 8 with 1254 viewsBuggalugs

We concede so many goals because our defence/midfield are constantly gifting the ball to the opposition. This is due to Russell's "being brave" philosophy of taking suicidal risks in the wrong areas of the pitch.

Loads of people were fawning over how great we played at Arsenal, but 2 of the goals we conceded were complete gifts from Downes and Sugawara. That's not playing well imo and sums up perfectly why we concede so many and keep getting beat.

One of the only positives and improvements in our defence this season is we don't have McCarthy/Bazunu passing to the centre forward anymore and we have a keeper that actually makes some very good saves.
[Post edited 8 Oct 10:46]

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024