Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Picton Monument in Carmarthen 18:18 - Dec 21 with 8788 viewsbritferry

Well done to the people of Carmarthen

Monument to Waterloo hero will STAND: Memorial to slaver Thomas Picton who died in 1815 battle will not be removed or renamed after majority of locals vote to keep it amid BLM row

I didn't realise that he is the only Welshman buried in St Paul's Cathedral

More guts than those wishy-washy yellow bellied scummers

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9075579/Black-Lives-Matter-Monument-Wat

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 10:30 - Dec 24 with 911 viewsBoundy

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 10:14 - Dec 24 by onehunglow

Free speech. Good God man. You have to follow the crowd or else your tedious ,offensive or simply challenging entrenched views.

And yes the British were scum.Animals in many places and Welshmen included in that.

It is something we have to live with.

Like Windrush.

My conscious is clear , is yours ?

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 10:48 - Dec 24 with 892 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 10:14 - Dec 24 by onehunglow

Free speech. Good God man. You have to follow the crowd or else your tedious ,offensive or simply challenging entrenched views.

And yes the British were scum.Animals in many places and Welshmen included in that.

It is something we have to live with.

Like Windrush.

Something to be proud that Britain saved the world from tyrants like napoleon and Hitler.
Many British inventions have also saved hundreds of millions live throughout the world. All in all the British have a great deal to be proud of .

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 11:46 - Dec 24 with 874 viewsCatullus

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 22:53 - Dec 23 by Humpty

Condescending, patronising, misogynist, take your pick. Exactly the same as calling a women hysterical when your debating something with one.

As with most things, context is everything.

So, if a woman is being hysterical and you tell her to calm down, is that misogynistic?

The truth has been thus for a long time, it doesn't matter what you actually mean when you say/post/text/email something, it's what other people judge it to be that will matter.

We will all be judged by other people's prejudices, every single one of us, and many people will be unfairly accused and what they actually meant won't count for a thing.

We've seen it on here enough times to know it's true.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 11:54 - Dec 24 with 869 viewsKilkennyjack

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 10:30 - Dec 24 by Boundy

‘Where ignorance is bliss, it is folly to be wise ....’

Merry Christmas 🎄

Well said Perch, the Perch man is never afraid to speak his mind.

Beware of the Risen People

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 13:05 - Dec 24 with 828 viewsHighjack

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 11:46 - Dec 24 by Catullus

So, if a woman is being hysterical and you tell her to calm down, is that misogynistic?

The truth has been thus for a long time, it doesn't matter what you actually mean when you say/post/text/email something, it's what other people judge it to be that will matter.

We will all be judged by other people's prejudices, every single one of us, and many people will be unfairly accused and what they actually meant won't count for a thing.

It’s all my fault for pointing out correctly that Morecambe and Wise were literally as evil as the slave trade.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 13:30 - Dec 24 with 821 viewsHumpty

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 10:48 - Dec 24 by felixstowe_jack

Something to be proud that Britain saved the world from tyrants like napoleon and Hitler.
Many British inventions have also saved hundreds of millions live throughout the world. All in all the British have a great deal to be proud of .

True. Doesn't mean One is wrong though. We did good and bad things, like all countries I should imagine.
Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 13:33 - Dec 24 with 816 viewsHumpty

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 11:46 - Dec 24 by Catullus

Do you think Lisa was being hysterical? I don't. Boundy just disagreed with here imo.

There's a long history of men calling women hysterical to delegitimize their views .Look it up. Same as saying they must be menstruating when you disagree with them, which Lisa has also had to put up with on here many times.
Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 13:38 - Dec 24 with 812 viewsHumpty

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 07:45 - Dec 24 by Andy1300

You lot must be so pathetic then!

Whatever is happening to free speech?

Everyone has to be offended by everything these days!

It’s pathetic!

Whose has had their freedom of speech restricted? Boundy and HJ haven't been banned. Their posts haven't been removed. I just disagree with what they say and I've posted so. A fine example of freedom of speech I would have thought.

Once again, someone from the right is confusing someone disagreeing with them with their freedom of speech being taken away. Quite a common problem with you lot.
Login to get fewer ads

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 15:23 - Dec 24 with 766 viewsBoundy

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 13:38 - Dec 24 by Humpty

Whose has had their freedom of speech restricted? Boundy and HJ haven't been banned. Their posts haven't been removed. I just disagree with what they say and I've posted so. A fine example of freedom of speech I would have thought.

Once again, someone from the right is confusing someone disagreeing with them with their freedom of speech being taken away. Quite a common problem with you lot.

I have to say that the thought of a ban or a post removed because the word "hysterical" was used in an exchange between two posters just shows how certain mindsets work. You do realise that the term used has many connotations of which hilarious, uproarious, laughable, ludicrous, anyone could be used to describe how in our recent exchange there imo a feeling that Lisa's response was anyone of the above .
There is an assumption that Lisa is a female, I have no idea and to be honest I'm not that bothered , I endorse equality in all its forms .

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 15:39 - Dec 24 with 753 viewsKeithHaynes

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 12:37 - Dec 23 by 9MilesHigh

"British troops looting after the Storming of Badajoz on 6th April 1812 in the Peninsular War
By William Barnes Wollen

There can be no denying of the dreadful savagery of the British soldiers after the siege, who indulged in an orgy of destruction within the ‘liberated’ city.

It is a painful event that remains nailed to the collective unconsciousness of the city, particularly since it was perpetrated by alleged allies. With the passing of time, the numbers become greater, more or less unintentionally, to continue maintaining the status of a great slaughter, equalling that of 1936.

According to the local archives, the last census of the occupied population was made by the French on 17 March. [1] This amounted to 300 families (about 1,200 / 1,500 people), most of whom apparently left the city between that date and 4 April, when the communications where definitely cut by the besiegers.[2]

The most detailed study of the effects of the British riot and looting of Badajoz is undoubtedly the one published in 1983 by Eladio Méndez Venegas from data collected in the Diocesan Archives of Badajoz.

In the documents, the priest of one of the four parishes of Badajoz (La Concepción) details street-by-street and house-by-house those killed and wounded by the British troops between 23:00 hours 6 April and 10:00 on 8 April 1812. The chronicler indicates that for those who were registered as ‘seriously injured’ there was no hope that they survived. There were also those who do not have names and surnames because they were so swollen that it was impossible to identify them; they were only known to be ‘civilians’ by their clothes and other signs which distinguished them from the French soldiers.

He lists the Parishes of San Juan (St John the Baptist), la Concepción, Santa María, San Andrés, and that of the Cathedral itself. He identifies that in these parishes of the city there were 102 dead, plus 23 seriously injured, so that it can be considered that 125 died because of the looting. There were 83 more injured from ‘diverse consideration’ so that the number of casualties reached 208. The conclusion is that the total could be as high as 250, or even 280, due to the indeterminacy of the data from one of the parishes.

This number may seem small but it means that there could have been between 20% and 30% of the Spanish civilians who were within the walls of Badajoz killed or injured on those fateful dates."

The British were scum.

Ten minutes drive from our place here we can overlook trafalgar and the peninsular of Cadiz. It’s odd, the British army fought the French with the Portuguese and Spanish at their sides. La Barossa as an example. On less interesting days a mate and I look round the area at the battle sites. It’s amazing how many local references to the barbaric treatment of local spanish by the French army, rape, executions etc. are made. The British were seen as some form of saviour. Then further north and not far away in Badajoz they did this. It’s obviously the in thing to do regardless of the country of the time.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 16:20 - Dec 24 with 740 viewsHumpty

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 15:23 - Dec 24 by Boundy

I have to say that the thought of a ban or a post removed because the word "hysterical" was used in an exchange between two posters just shows how certain mindsets work. You do realise that the term used has many connotations of which hilarious, uproarious, laughable, ludicrous, anyone could be used to describe how in our recent exchange there imo a feeling that Lisa's response was anyone of the above .
There is an assumption that Lisa is a female, I have no idea and to be honest I'm not that bothered , I endorse equality in all its forms .

Nobody has suggested banning or removal of posts. I was just pointing out how silly Andy was being whining about freedom of speech.

Don't be silly. You do know Lisa is female.

I'm not suggesting you deliberately used that word to demean Lisa, I've no idea, but it is a fact that it is used against women in a way that it isn't used against men. And far more frequently.

Could you show me any examples of you calling a male poster on here hysterical? If you can I'll take it back and apologise.
Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 16:44 - Dec 24 with 732 viewsGroo

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 15:39 - Dec 24 by KeithHaynes

Ten minutes drive from our place here we can overlook trafalgar and the peninsular of Cadiz. It’s odd, the British army fought the French with the Portuguese and Spanish at their sides. La Barossa as an example. On less interesting days a mate and I look round the area at the battle sites. It’s amazing how many local references to the barbaric treatment of local spanish by the French army, rape, executions etc. are made. The British were seen as some form of saviour. Then further north and not far away in Badajoz they did this. It’s obviously the in thing to do regardless of the country of the time.

I can't understand these people who denounce the British past and make no comment on or even support the past enemies of Britain when they have their own black past.

I couldn't imagine the hell a lot of the soldiers went through, that doesn't mean to justify their actions, on any side, but some consideration should be allowed for the dehumanization of the soldiers.

Picton being made into a monster for being harsh, his mantra was to rule by fear, he had his reasons, a more relaxed ruling may have led to the deaths of his troops and himself. They were harsh times.

Every European Country can be held up for atrocities at some point. Spain took the canary islands and killed off the local population, did the same in the Mediterranean Islands. I was reading how the Romans after defeating Cartage and taking what is now Spain fought for over 100 years rebellions from locals, the Romans murdered entire towns.

Times of War are different to times of peace.

Groo does what Groo does best

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 16:47 - Dec 24 with 729 viewsLohengrin

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 15:39 - Dec 24 by KeithHaynes

You ever take the drive up to look around Belchite, Keith?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 16:50 - Dec 24 with 724 viewsLohengrin

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 16:20 - Dec 24 by Humpty

Nobody has suggested banning or removal of posts. I was just pointing out how silly Andy was being whining about freedom of speech.

Don't be silly. You do know Lisa is female.

I'm not suggesting you deliberately used that word to demean Lisa, I've no idea, but it is a fact that it is used against women in a way that it isn't used against men. And far more frequently.

Could you show me any examples of you calling a male poster on here hysterical? If you can I'll take it back and apologise.

Best looking bloke I’ve seen!

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 17:20 - Dec 24 with 708 viewsonehunglow

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 11:54 - Dec 24 by Kilkennyjack

‘Where ignorance is bliss, it is folly to be wise ....’

Merry Christmas 🎄

Well said Perch, the Perch man is never afraid to speak his mind.

Perch got killed off but he found redemption and everlasting life-which is bad news for some

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 17:21 - Dec 24 with 705 viewsonehunglow

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 10:30 - Dec 24 by Boundy

You're joking.I was born in Swansea and have a guilty conscience as we were all cursed with such.

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 17:24 - Dec 24 with 703 viewsonehunglow

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 13:38 - Dec 24 by Humpty

"from the right2.Who says so? Right -good.Left Bad.

It aint necessarily so

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 17:33 - Dec 24 with 699 viewsHumpty

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 16:50 - Dec 24 by Lohengrin

Best looking bloke I’ve seen!

Is he? I wouldn't know.
Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 17:34 - Dec 24 with 696 viewsHumpty

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 17:24 - Dec 24 by onehunglow

"from the right2.Who says so? Right -good.Left Bad.

It aint necessarily so

Of course. That's why I didn't say it.
Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 17:39 - Dec 24 with 695 viewsonehunglow

Well I don't fit any right left narrative.I am me.

Im pretty sure you refered to me as Hysterical ;either you or one of your cadre of Lefty chums. I 'm not on here to make chums;I dont even look for the sympathy vote .Im comfortable as I enter my 71st year on this planet.

Anyway,ENOUGH.

Best wishes to you ,ya bugger,and hope we're around a few more years before I get to Burning Hell ,that which my father promised I d be going.

nadolig llawen.

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 17:52 - Dec 24 with 691 viewsLohengrin

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 17:33 - Dec 24 by Humpty

Is he? I wouldn't know.

I’ll tell her you said that!

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 17:54 - Dec 24 with 690 viewsBoundy

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 17:21 - Dec 24 by onehunglow

You're joking.I was born in Swansea and have a guilty conscience as we were all cursed with such.

Your conscious is yours to own. I'm happy with mine you're obviously not with yours but I'm afraid that's your cross to bear .Hopefully at some point May peace be upon you.

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 10:42 - Dec 28 with 580 viewsonehunglow

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 17:54 - Dec 24 by Boundy

Your conscious is yours to own. I'm happy with mine you're obviously not with yours but I'm afraid that's your cross to bear .Hopefully at some point May peace be upon you.

Boundy.Dont take at face value all that you read on this site or any other similiar forum.

best

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024