Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Picton Monument in Carmarthen 18:18 - Dec 21 with 8787 viewsbritferry

Well done to the people of Carmarthen

Monument to Waterloo hero will STAND: Memorial to slaver Thomas Picton who died in 1815 battle will not be removed or renamed after majority of locals vote to keep it amid BLM row

I didn't realise that he is the only Welshman buried in St Paul's Cathedral

More guts than those wishy-washy yellow bellied scummers

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9075579/Black-Lives-Matter-Monument-Wat

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 22:08 - Dec 22 with 910 viewsFireboy2

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 21:05 - Dec 22 by londonlisa2001

Really?

It’s completely par for the course. He always (in his view) punches down. He’s generally mistaken.

Imo of him he has Lis.
Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 22:25 - Dec 22 with 872 viewsHighjack

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 20:57 - Dec 22 by Fireboy2

HJ you have let yourself down with that remark.

Hang on a gosh darn rootin tootin moment. She’s been calling me all sorts of things for God knows how many years and nobody says a thing. I give a little bit back just once with a mild Michael Winner quote and I’m the bad guy? Do you think she’s let herself down by saying “Dear God you’re stupid”? It should be obvious to anybody that I’m not literally comparing much loved cheeky chappies Morcambe and Wise to a historical slave trader. Anybody who can’t see that it’s intended as an irreverent throw away remark to lighten the mood must be...well... stupid.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 22:34 - Dec 22 with 861 viewsLohengrin

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 22:25 - Dec 22 by Highjack

Hang on a gosh darn rootin tootin moment. She’s been calling me all sorts of things for God knows how many years and nobody says a thing. I give a little bit back just once with a mild Michael Winner quote and I’m the bad guy? Do you think she’s let herself down by saying “Dear God you’re stupid”? It should be obvious to anybody that I’m not literally comparing much loved cheeky chappies Morcambe and Wise to a historical slave trader. Anybody who can’t see that it’s intended as an irreverent throw away remark to lighten the mood must be...well... stupid.

No, you’ve had it now. Your statue in Indonesia will have to have an interpretative plaque attached outlining your rottenness...

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 22:36 - Dec 22 with 854 viewsCatullus

Now this has caused me a problem. I saw it as an irreverent throw away remark but I also accept I am stupid.....

Now what do I do?

It's time for bed, roll on Friday, maybe santa will fetch me a vaccination.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 22:39 - Dec 22 with 850 viewsKilkennyjack

The statue will come down.

We should not be celebrating men who torture young girls.
The only place for it is dumped in the sea, or land fill.

Why anyone would support this monster is a complete mystery.

BLM ✊🏾

Beware of the Risen People

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 00:36 - Dec 23 with 822 viewsTreforys_Jack

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 17:33 - Dec 22 by londonlisa2001

In which case you’d presumably have no argument if local Londoners decided to pull down a statue of Churchill in London?

slightly different as its the UK capital, but local people for local decisions all the way. If they did pull down Churchill's statue maybe it could go on eBay and I could bid against Loh, it would look good sited on the entrance to Clasemont Park.
Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 00:48 - Dec 23 with 818 viewsSlugster664

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 20:40 - Dec 21 by Kilkennyjack

The statue should be pulled down and thrown away.

Plenty of great welsh men and women to celebrate.

A grown man who is cruel to a young woman is no man in my book.

BLM ✊🏾

Is there any way to sticky this post...one horrid scummy motherfecker...trash of the highest order.

Mr Picton

STID

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 01:06 - Dec 23 with 812 viewsNotLoyal

I know a few who went to Thomas Picton school in Haverfordwest.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Login to get fewer ads

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 06:56 - Dec 23 with 772 viewsFieryJack

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 00:48 - Dec 23 by Slugster664

Is there any way to sticky this post...one horrid scummy motherfecker...trash of the highest order.

Mr Picton

Sounds like you are describing yourself there.

The statue of Picton in Cardiff City Hall was removed recently. The yokels in Carmarthen are behind the curve.

I used to work with a black bloke in a warehouse in the north of England. When he found out I was a Swans fan he laughed, said his surname was Thomas and that he'd always assumed his name came from a Welsh slave owner. Also that Thomas, being the most common Welsh surname in the Swansea/Carmarthen area, that said slave-owner's descendants were probably Swans fans as well.
Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 07:49 - Dec 23 with 759 viewsLohengrin

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 06:56 - Dec 23 by FieryJack

Sounds like you are describing yourself there.

The statue of Picton in Cardiff City Hall was removed recently. The yokels in Carmarthen are behind the curve.

I used to work with a black bloke in a warehouse in the north of England. When he found out I was a Swans fan he laughed, said his surname was Thomas and that he'd always assumed his name came from a Welsh slave owner. Also that Thomas, being the most common Welsh surname in the Swansea/Carmarthen area, that said slave-owner's descendants were probably Swans fans as well.

I’ve got a possible alternative take on that for you courtesy of a recent podcast I was listening to. Now you’re friend may well be right in his assumption but it appears that when slavery was abolished in the mid 1830s a great many of those formerly kept in bondage adopted new names in search of a new beginning, most popularly from The Gospel.

Put that to him if you’re still in touch.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2020 7:55]

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 08:33 - Dec 23 with 735 viewsNortbankboy

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 07:49 - Dec 23 by Lohengrin

I’ve got a possible alternative take on that for you courtesy of a recent podcast I was listening to. Now you’re friend may well be right in his assumption but it appears that when slavery was abolished in the mid 1830s a great many of those formerly kept in bondage adopted new names in search of a new beginning, most popularly from The Gospel.

I don't think it should be pulled down.
But I think a large plaque should be attached to show what he really stood for.
Unfortunately the British empire version of history is a lot different to others
Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 09:14 - Dec 23 with 726 viewsonehunglow

I crosses swords with Lisa and became rather obnoxious ,basically a quid pr pro.

Best cross swords with me high. I’m always respectful and full of love

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 09:29 - Dec 23 with 719 viewsFieryJack

That's interesting, and something I've not heard of before.

Bump into him occasionally and will pass it on.
Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 09:38 - Dec 23 with 717 viewsFireboy2

Well HJ I am sorry but I have never seen Lisa call you names, if she has then knowing what she is like I guess you deserved it.

On my remark to you, i see you as a decent poster who is very polite and on normal circumstances never lowers themselves to name calling.
Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 12:07 - Dec 23 with 679 views9MilesHigh

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 12:07 - Dec 22 by Lohengrin

The only problem with the Picton Memorial is it’s nowhere near big enough.

April 1812, Badajoz.

Wellington: “My engineers are expressing grave doubts whether the task can be accomplished at all.”

Picton: “I can accomplish it.”

Always leading from the front, always exposed to the greatest danger. Fearless.

Just did a little Googling on this and it seems this battle was more famous for the savagery of the British soldiers going on a barbaric rampage after the French surrendered.

20% to 30% of the civilians massacred, needlessly and for fun.

How anyone can celebrate Britain's past and laud evil like Picton and his kind is beyond me.

It seems the history some read is chosen very selectively.
Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 12:09 - Dec 23 with 676 views9MilesHigh

Can you imagine the podcasts he listens to?
Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 12:10 - Dec 23 with 675 views9MilesHigh

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 09:14 - Dec 23 by onehunglow

I crosses swords with Lisa and became rather obnoxious ,basically a quid pr pro.

Best cross swords with me high. I’m always respectful and full of love

Not that high, you're only 5 foot and a fart old bean ;-)
Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 12:18 - Dec 23 with 669 viewsLohengrin

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 08:33 - Dec 23 by Nortbankboy

I don't think it should be pulled down.
But I think a large plaque should be attached to show what he really stood for.
Unfortunately the British empire version of history is a lot different to others

” I think a large plaque should be attached to show what he really stood for.”

What did he stand for? What would this plaque have to say? My fear is it will be written by somebody who knows nothing of the man and will just play to the ignorance of a ‘woke’ gallery. That it will make the General a scapegoat for the sins of his age, an emblem for all the ravages of Mercantilism.

I noticed that you wanted the arcade rededicated to Keir Hardie. Again, Hardie was very much a child of his times: an outspoken advocate of Jewish conspiracy theories who also harboured a real visceral loathing for Roman Catholicism. In his lifetime he never made the least attempt to mask these traits, they were so widely held by the general population at the turn of the twentieth century as to almost constitute the norm.

The times however change and a lot of attitudes with them. Would Hardie’s Arcade have to have an explanatory plaque attached? If not why not?

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 12:29 - Dec 23 with 664 views9MilesHigh

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 12:18 - Dec 23 by Lohengrin

” I think a large plaque should be attached to show what he really stood for.”

What did he stand for? What would this plaque have to say? My fear is it will be written by somebody who knows nothing of the man and will just play to the ignorance of a ‘woke’ gallery. That it will make the General a scapegoat for the sins of his age, an emblem for all the ravages of Mercantilism.

I noticed that you wanted the arcade rededicated to Keir Hardie. Again, Hardie was very much a child of his times: an outspoken advocate of Jewish conspiracy theories who also harboured a real visceral loathing for Roman Catholicism. In his lifetime he never made the least attempt to mask these traits, they were so widely held by the general population at the turn of the twentieth century as to almost constitute the norm.

The times however change and a lot of attitudes with them. Would Hardie’s Arcade have to have an explanatory plaque attached? If not why not?

You worry that history maybe written by someone that doesn't share the vile similarities that makes you tick, is that what you're saying?

Yet you share, with great aplomb it has to be said, anything from history that fuels this vulgarity.

You've got to laugh - and treat your posts with the contempt they deserve.

ps - Don't be so pathetic to use the word "woke" - Grow up lad.
Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 12:37 - Dec 23 with 659 views9MilesHigh

"British troops looting after the Storming of Badajoz on 6th April 1812 in the Peninsular War
By William Barnes Wollen

There can be no denying of the dreadful savagery of the British soldiers after the siege, who indulged in an orgy of destruction within the ‘liberated’ city.

It is a painful event that remains nailed to the collective unconsciousness of the city, particularly since it was perpetrated by alleged allies. With the passing of time, the numbers become greater, more or less unintentionally, to continue maintaining the status of a great slaughter, equalling that of 1936.

According to the local archives, the last census of the occupied population was made by the French on 17 March. [1] This amounted to 300 families (about 1,200 / 1,500 people), most of whom apparently left the city between that date and 4 April, when the communications where definitely cut by the besiegers.[2]

The most detailed study of the effects of the British riot and looting of Badajoz is undoubtedly the one published in 1983 by Eladio Méndez Venegas from data collected in the Diocesan Archives of Badajoz.

In the documents, the priest of one of the four parishes of Badajoz (La Concepción) details street-by-street and house-by-house those killed and wounded by the British troops between 23:00 hours 6 April and 10:00 on 8 April 1812. The chronicler indicates that for those who were registered as ‘seriously injured’ there was no hope that they survived. There were also those who do not have names and surnames because they were so swollen that it was impossible to identify them; they were only known to be ‘civilians’ by their clothes and other signs which distinguished them from the French soldiers.

He lists the Parishes of San Juan (St John the Baptist), la Concepción, Santa María, San Andrés, and that of the Cathedral itself. He identifies that in these parishes of the city there were 102 dead, plus 23 seriously injured, so that it can be considered that 125 died because of the looting. There were 83 more injured from ‘diverse consideration’ so that the number of casualties reached 208. The conclusion is that the total could be as high as 250, or even 280, due to the indeterminacy of the data from one of the parishes.

This number may seem small but it means that there could have been between 20% and 30% of the Spanish civilians who were within the walls of Badajoz killed or injured on those fateful dates."

The British were scum.
Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 12:43 - Dec 23 with 649 viewsLohengrin

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 12:09 - Dec 23 by 9MilesHigh

Can you imagine the podcasts he listens to?

The Radio 4 In Our Time archive mostly.

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 12:44 - Dec 23 with 647 viewsBoundy

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 12:37 - Dec 23 by 9MilesHigh

"British troops looting after the Storming of Badajoz on 6th April 1812 in the Peninsular War
By William Barnes Wollen

There can be no denying of the dreadful savagery of the British soldiers after the siege, who indulged in an orgy of destruction within the ‘liberated’ city.

It is a painful event that remains nailed to the collective unconsciousness of the city, particularly since it was perpetrated by alleged allies. With the passing of time, the numbers become greater, more or less unintentionally, to continue maintaining the status of a great slaughter, equalling that of 1936.

According to the local archives, the last census of the occupied population was made by the French on 17 March. [1] This amounted to 300 families (about 1,200 / 1,500 people), most of whom apparently left the city between that date and 4 April, when the communications where definitely cut by the besiegers.[2]

The most detailed study of the effects of the British riot and looting of Badajoz is undoubtedly the one published in 1983 by Eladio Méndez Venegas from data collected in the Diocesan Archives of Badajoz.

In the documents, the priest of one of the four parishes of Badajoz (La Concepción) details street-by-street and house-by-house those killed and wounded by the British troops between 23:00 hours 6 April and 10:00 on 8 April 1812. The chronicler indicates that for those who were registered as ‘seriously injured’ there was no hope that they survived. There were also those who do not have names and surnames because they were so swollen that it was impossible to identify them; they were only known to be ‘civilians’ by their clothes and other signs which distinguished them from the French soldiers.

He lists the Parishes of San Juan (St John the Baptist), la Concepción, Santa María, San Andrés, and that of the Cathedral itself. He identifies that in these parishes of the city there were 102 dead, plus 23 seriously injured, so that it can be considered that 125 died because of the looting. There were 83 more injured from ‘diverse consideration’ so that the number of casualties reached 208. The conclusion is that the total could be as high as 250, or even 280, due to the indeterminacy of the data from one of the parishes.

This number may seem small but it means that there could have been between 20% and 30% of the Spanish civilians who were within the walls of Badajoz killed or injured on those fateful dates."

The British were scum.

and you are ?

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 12:49 - Dec 23 with 642 viewsLohengrin

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 12:37 - Dec 23 by 9MilesHigh

By William Barnes Wollen

The British were scum.

Where have you copied and pasted that from?

If you had done a proper study you’d know that the orgy of violence, mostly committed by Irish troops, was brought to an abrupt end when Picton roused himself from his hospital cot and appeared in the centre of town like a furious Nemesis.

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 12:51 - Dec 23 with 637 viewsLohengrin

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 12:29 - Dec 23 by 9MilesHigh

You worry that history maybe written by someone that doesn't share the vile similarities that makes you tick, is that what you're saying?

Yet you share, with great aplomb it has to be said, anything from history that fuels this vulgarity.

You've got to laugh - and treat your posts with the contempt they deserve.

ps - Don't be so pathetic to use the word "woke" - Grow up lad.

Do you want to put your new-found faith to the test? Let’s see how much you know about the foundation years of the Labour Party and its initial leading lights without recourse to Google, shall we?

Back yourself, son. Take me on.

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 12:59 - Dec 23 with 622 views9MilesHigh

Picton Monument in Carmarthen on 12:49 - Dec 23 by Lohengrin

Where have you copied and pasted that from?

If you had done a proper study you’d know that the orgy of violence, mostly committed by Irish troops, was brought to an abrupt end when Picton roused himself from his hospital cot and appeared in the centre of town like a furious Nemesis.

It says in the body of text I've copied mate.

"The most detailed study of the effects of the British riot and looting of Badajoz is undoubtedly the one published in 1983 by Eladio Méndez Venegas from data collected in the Diocesan Archives of Badajoz."

Are your copies and pastes any better? Says who eh?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024