Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexit .... My thoughts... 11:07 - Jun 16 with 146142 viewsJacksDad

The one thing I am certain of re this vote is that no-one knows for sure what the repercussions economically will be if we pull out. If you listen to the experts it will be better if we stay in, however its all unconvincing. My issue is that after 10 years of Austerity, the services in this country have been cut to the bone, that is services that are needed by us all - not just Immigrants/benefit spongers. We are not in a position to afford the enormous gamble if it all goes t1ts up. I am taking my lead from Ray Winston and gambling responsibly and staying in. If we ever get to situation when everything is adequately funded and horrible 0 hours contracts were abolished ... then maybe it might be worth the risk to pull out. But to do it now is a massive gamble which we just cannot afford to lose.
Brexit .... My thoughts... on 10:35 - Jun 24 with 1806 viewsstevec

Congratulations to all those who stood firm, ignored the might of ALL the main political parties, the establishment, the banks, big business and voted Leave.

A victory for the working class and long fckin overdue. The old Labour vote, across the North and Midlands, has risen up and said to the Metropolitan Luvvies, quite a few on here it seems, who pretend they support Labour but actually despise their so called 'ignorance', to do one.

This is a great day.
Brexit .... My thoughts... on 10:36 - Jun 24 with 1805 viewsisawqpratwcity

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 10:25 - Jun 24 by Rs_Holy

Makes British products cheaper abroad too!

Fair enough, add the balance of trade to the list of criteria.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 10:36 - Jun 24 with 1802 viewsjohncharles

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 10:01 - Jun 24 by isawqpratwcity

Next question is, how is this to be judged a success:

Exchange rates against the Euro and US$?
Employment figures?
Average earnings?
GDP?

And over what period: 1, 5 or 10 years?

Also immigration. At the moment we controlled immigration, very poorly controlled, but some sort of control. Now it's going to be a free for all.

Strong and stable my arse.

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 10:39 - Jun 24 with 1793 viewsKonk

I'm looking forward to James Dyson's announcement that he's bringing his manufacturing jobs back to the UK. That's surely what we'd expect from a very vocal and patriotic Brexiter who was so excited about Britain's prospects outside the EU? It would be nice if the multi-billionaire put his money where his mouth was in that regard and might slightly offset possible job losses elsewhere.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 10:40 - Jun 24 with 1780 viewsMytch_QPR

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 10:39 - Jun 24 by Konk

I'm looking forward to James Dyson's announcement that he's bringing his manufacturing jobs back to the UK. That's surely what we'd expect from a very vocal and patriotic Brexiter who was so excited about Britain's prospects outside the EU? It would be nice if the multi-billionaire put his money where his mouth was in that regard and might slightly offset possible job losses elsewhere.

The new PM will have to make sure he / she sucks up to him. So to speak.

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 10:42 - Jun 24 with 1764 viewsloftboy

Must seen Boris getting loads of stick, do these people not understand democracy, it was a fair vote, vet on with it.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 10:43 - Jun 24 with 1754 viewsCiderwithRsie

Not necessarily. Oil is paid for in US$. If they use oil in the production, either as a source of energy in the manufacture, or as raw material (e.g. anything with plastic in), or if road transport is a significant cost then all those elements go up.
Brexit .... My thoughts... on 10:44 - Jun 24 with 1746 viewsRs_Holy

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 10:32 - Jun 24 by Brightonhoop

But unable to compete with China still regardless and now less able to do so. £120 Billion lost last night alone.

in my experience British manufacturing is now niche based. We cannot compete with China on cheap mass production (only India can). British products are more taylored to customer needs ... High tech, high end products with added value to the customer... If they can get them a bit cheaper now, its a win win.
btw - China would de-value its currency in a heart beat to remain competive... We have to forget about competing with them.
Login to get fewer ads

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 10:46 - Jun 24 with 1726 viewsDannytheR

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 10:35 - Jun 24 by stevec

Congratulations to all those who stood firm, ignored the might of ALL the main political parties, the establishment, the banks, big business and voted Leave.

A victory for the working class and long fckin overdue. The old Labour vote, across the North and Midlands, has risen up and said to the Metropolitan Luvvies, quite a few on here it seems, who pretend they support Labour but actually despise their so called 'ignorance', to do one.

This is a great day.

I'd imagine you'd find most people on here, me included, aren't far from working class ourselves. "Metropolitan Luvvies?" We're probably also Londoners. QPR are a London team.

Funny to hear metropolitan being used as a dirty word on a message board for the most physically central London team in British football.

I doubt many people here think the working class are ignorant.

It's the ignorant that are ignorant.
Brexit .... My thoughts... on 10:49 - Jun 24 with 1715 viewsBostonR

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 10:35 - Jun 24 by stevec

This is a great day.

Narrow minded of you and what exactly is your definition of Metropolitan Luvvies?
Brexit .... My thoughts... on 10:53 - Jun 24 with 1699 viewsPinnerPaul

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 10:49 - Jun 24 by BostonR

Narrow minded of you and what exactly is your definition of Metropolitan Luvvies?

I love the Metropolitan Line, if that helps!
Brexit .... My thoughts... on 10:53 - Jun 24 with 1695 viewsisawqpratwcity

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 10:46 - Jun 24 by DannytheR

I'd imagine you'd find most people on here, me included, aren't far from working class ourselves. "Metropolitan Luvvies?" We're probably also Londoners. QPR are a London team.

Funny to hear metropolitan being used as a dirty word on a message board for the most physically central London team in British football.

Unfortunately this includes being gracious in defeat.

Much as I think this is a mistake, it's a case of making the best and keeping tabs on progress from here.

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 10:54 - Jun 24 with 1691 views1BobbyHazell

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 10:01 - Jun 24 by isawqpratwcity

Next question is, how is this to be judged a success:

Exchange rates against the Euro and US$?
Employment figures?
Average earnings?
GDP?

And over what period: 1, 5 or 10 years?

An increase in real and effective democratic interaction between communities and their elected representatives. Leading to far greater scrutiny and accountability for MP's and political parties. ie not thinking that putting an x in a box twice a decade is enough to ensure an effective, fair and truly representative democracy.

An improvement on 1/3 of the country's children living below the official poverty line

Not automatically accepting the likes of Osbourne telling us that Austerity etc is necessary as he strips away the very services that serve us as individuals and communities telling us there is no money whilst the tiny elite increase their wealth by hundreds of billions of pounds.

A desire for greater understanding and awareness of the true nature of the rigged and manufactured economic scenario of worldwide debt that has allowed/created such a scenario above.

A reversal of the ever increasing use/need of foodbanks.

An NHS that doesn't end up giving up 25% of everything we pay into it to hedge funds' Cayman tax havens as opposed to it all going on looking after our sick and vulnerable.

Pride as we observe the people of other nations, equally fed up with the undemocratic control placed upon them by the EU (and their own governments), also reclaiming some power from the behemothic institutions that have come to dominate the political and economic landscape. Observing the idea of leaving the EU being one that becomes more mainstream so that it is no longer the trump card for Europe's far right.

A coming together of those countries above with a proper balance of self sovereignty and desire to work together on and share all that is positive about being European's together without allowing a centralised, secretive, unelected body to dominate individual states.

Awakening from the slumber of perceived powerlessness and separation, and the dark blanket of deliberate and systematic misinformation, lies and duplicity that has led us there.

Not thinking that the likes of Boris are any more on the side of us and our communities than Dave and George.

Love, just more f-ing love, I'm told it's all you need.

Yesterday was just the start, a small step in the right direction. The work starts here with a lot of challenges ahead and plenty more sh1t going to be thrown our way. Stay strong and let's all be positive and make the very best of it we can.
Brexit .... My thoughts... on 10:59 - Jun 24 with 1657 viewsisawqpratwcity

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 10:54 - Jun 24 by 1BobbyHazell

An increase in real and effective democratic interaction between communities and their elected representatives. Leading to far greater scrutiny and accountability for MP's and political parties. ie not thinking that putting an x in a box twice a decade is enough to ensure an effective, fair and truly representative democracy.

An improvement on 1/3 of the country's children living below the official poverty line

Not automatically accepting the likes of Osbourne telling us that Austerity etc is necessary as he strips away the very services that serve us as individuals and communities telling us there is no money whilst the tiny elite increase their wealth by hundreds of billions of pounds.

A desire for greater understanding and awareness of the true nature of the rigged and manufactured economic scenario of worldwide debt that has allowed/created such a scenario above.

A reversal of the ever increasing use/need of foodbanks.

An NHS that doesn't end up giving up 25% of everything we pay into it to hedge funds' Cayman tax havens as opposed to it all going on looking after our sick and vulnerable.

Pride as we observe the people of other nations, equally fed up with the undemocratic control placed upon them by the EU (and their own governments), also reclaiming some power from the behemothic institutions that have come to dominate the political and economic landscape. Observing the idea of leaving the EU being one that becomes more mainstream so that it is no longer the trump card for Europe's far right.

A coming together of those countries above with a proper balance of self sovereignty and desire to work together on and share all that is positive about being European's together without allowing a centralised, secretive, unelected body to dominate individual states.

Awakening from the slumber of perceived powerlessness and separation, and the dark blanket of deliberate and systematic misinformation, lies and duplicity that has led us there.

Not thinking that the likes of Boris are any more on the side of us and our communities than Dave and George.

Love, just more f-ing love, I'm told it's all you need.

Yesterday was just the start, a small step in the right direction. The work starts here with a lot of challenges ahead and plenty more sh1t going to be thrown our way. Stay strong and let's all be positive and make the very best of it we can.

Fair enough. I'm sure this subject will keep coming up for years.

Keep giving us your best honest assessment.

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 11:01 - Jun 24 with 1635 viewsconnell10

We the 48% expect a sorry from the 52% if this whole leap into the dark goes tits up. I'm not happy and I'm not sad.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 11:02 - Jun 24 with 1628 viewsDannytheR

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 10:53 - Jun 24 by isawqpratwcity

Unfortunately this includes being gracious in defeat.

Much as I think this is a mistake, it's a case of making the best and keeping tabs on progress from here.

Couldn't agree more. But gracious in defeat in response to what...?

If someone's response to this great victory of theirs is to start calling people names like we're in the playground, including taking time to dig out people on here, that says something pretty sad about them and the nature of their cause.

It reminds me of the Cardiff play off-defeat. I remember streaming out of the Millennium back to Cardiff station, to find a group of their fans already waiting for us, giving wnker signs to little kids and telling us to fck off back to London.

It was pitiful then and pitiful now.

Don't worry, a lot of us already now know the country isn't ours anymore, whether we've got British passports or not.
Brexit .... My thoughts... on 11:03 - Jun 24 with 1618 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Round about 2 or 3a.m. it finally dawned on me that nobody, and I mean nobody, had a clue which way this vote was going.

My abiding memory of last night's marathon BBC show will be a Tory on the Leave side and Alex Salmond's two-hour stint as the results came in. Neither they, nor UKIP, nor Labour, had any internal polls. So criminally out of touch were they with the citizens that they were elected to represent that they were resigned to telling the BBC what the bookies' odds were. And they were ships' sails in a storm.

Thanks for this thread, and the one before this. I think you should all take over the country!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 11:04 - Jun 24 with 1615 viewsisawqpratwcity

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 11:01 - Jun 24 by connell10

We the 48% expect a sorry from the 52% if this whole leap into the dark goes tits up. I'm not happy and I'm not sad.

Define "tits up"?

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 11:04 - Jun 24 with 1613 viewsstevec

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 10:46 - Jun 24 by DannytheR

London has become totally out of touch with the rest of England. As you say, you and most others aren't far from working class yourselves, and yet time after time, portray the same working class, in the North, the Midlands, the East Coast, Cornwall, you name it, as 'Little Englanders' and ignorant, purely for having the gumption to disagree with you.

Comment after comment on here, disgustingly suggesting the 'public' shouldn't be allowed to have referendums, because they're not 'educated enough'. Basically, they just have different views to you. And you are becoming more and more representative of this 'Luvvie' elitism contaminating the Metropolis.
Brexit .... My thoughts... on 11:07 - Jun 24 with 1596 viewsCiderwithRsie

I'll go on record and say that if Exit leads to a more democratic and economically successful Britain you can all point at me and laugh. I will be more than happy to take it, because I now expect a complete and utter sh*tstorm.

Nothing is certain, but I'll give break-up of UK about 75% likelihood (75% Scotland leaving, NI going too 40%) Recession (i.e. 6 months of continued negative growth) within next year 90% likelihood. The big one on that is if the BoE has to raise interest rates to shore up the £ while economic growth is down.

I expect EU leaving negotiations to be prolonged and acrimonious. If the new PM accepts continued free movement of labour and big contribution to EU funds he's going to get pelters; if he comes back without free access to the single market, ditto. If they can get access to the market without free movement of labour or paying much in, he's a genius and I'll take my hat off.

All of which could be dealt by a really skilled political operator. I don't see any such animal in any party (except the SNP, I suppose.) I expect the new PM to lose a confidence vote in the Commons (or fail to get their budget through) in event of any of those things happening, followed by a GE in which no party wins a majority, leaving in turn to leadership crisis in Labour and maybe Tories too.

Could be a couple of years before we have a properly functioning government in this country.

I sincerely hope someone can put this post up in a year or so as evidence that I know nothing.
Brexit .... My thoughts... on 11:13 - Jun 24 with 1828 viewsisawqpratwcity

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 11:03 - Jun 24 by BrianMcCarthy

Round about 2 or 3a.m. it finally dawned on me that nobody, and I mean nobody, had a clue which way this vote was going.

My abiding memory of last night's marathon BBC show will be a Tory on the Leave side and Alex Salmond's two-hour stint as the results came in. Neither they, nor UKIP, nor Labour, had any internal polls. So criminally out of touch were they with the citizens that they were elected to represent that they were resigned to telling the BBC what the bookies' odds were. And they were ships' sails in a storm.

Thanks for this thread, and the one before this. I think you should all take over the country!

Brian, the Farter, the Shunned and the Wholly Goat have all given you dispensation on this one. (Forgive my blasphemy, I am drinking again.)

Please express a personal opinion on what happened today.

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 11:13 - Jun 24 with 1825 viewsRs_Holy

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 11:01 - Jun 24 by connell10

I'll appologise if Brussels appologises for for its inability to listen to sense, to be more flexible, to be more democratic. If they were willing to reform in future and stop taking control of more and more my vote would definatley have been different. We joined a common market in 1973, and we are leaving something very different in 2016.
Brexit .... My thoughts... on 11:15 - Jun 24 with 1815 views1BobbyHazell

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 10:59 - Jun 24 by isawqpratwcity

Fair enough. I'm sure this subject will keep coming up for years.

Keep giving us your best honest assessment.

The things I listed need to come up every day. For all of us.

Surely whichever traditional political side people think they belong to there is a general consensus that perhaps our community's interests are not being genuinely served by the current systems of governance and influence.

I know a lot of left wingers have been busy defending 'the system' with this EU business but none of them can really believe that a situation where they are forced to choose between Big Business Banking Austerity Dave or Big Business Banking Austerity Boris was really the best we can come up with as beautiful beings of endless possibility!

Let's keep pushing. Think of what part of all this debate highlighted for us the dearth in real political representation and let's keep looking out for ways to improve it. Let's elevate people, thinkers who are showing real innovation understanding of how we can improve things nationally.

There is an opportunity for a real coming together. Look at raving Tory Steve C's comment somewhere above - "ignored the might of ALL the main political parties, the establishment, the banks, big business"

That's a Tory talking about us needing to ignore the establishment, the banks and big business! How many left leaners feel the same way? All of them?

So, and this thread is already a good example, if people like Steve can stop being so antagonistic and tribal and look at what he has in common with his perceived enemies rather than digs and insults and then they too look at the fact a 'Tory' (we need to loose/lessen these labels) is saying NO to big business, banks and the establishment then we should be able to focus on coming together to pressure these institutions that we are seemingly fairly joined in acknowledging as not serving the greater good of us.

Stay strong and positive, it's not going to be easy or straightforward but let's at least show a little fight together keeping in mind the values of joint view points, joint 'enemies' and real unwavering focus.
Brexit .... My thoughts... on 11:16 - Jun 24 with 1812 viewsBrightonhoop

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 11:04 - Jun 24 by stevec

London has become totally out of touch with the rest of England. As you say, you and most others aren't far from working class yourselves, and yet time after time, portray the same working class, in the North, the Midlands, the East Coast, Cornwall, you name it, as 'Little Englanders' and ignorant, purely for having the gumption to disagree with you.

Comment after comment on here, disgustingly suggesting the 'public' shouldn't be allowed to have referendums, because they're not 'educated enough'. Basically, they just have different views to you. And you are becoming more and more representative of this 'Luvvie' elitism contaminating the Metropolis.

True. However and a big fly in the ointment is that Londons working class voted in, and will potentially elect to Leave the UK and apply for EU membership. Instead of funding free University education in Scotland and free prescriptions in Wales, neither of which working class Londoners benefit from themselves.
London would now be better off out of the UK and operating independently.
What's in this result for working class Londoners?
I think London should now demand a Ref and take this to the next step.
Brexit .... My thoughts... on 11:18 - Jun 24 with 1792 viewsLblock

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 11:13 - Jun 24 by Rs_Holy

I'll appologise if Brussels appologises for for its inability to listen to sense, to be more flexible, to be more democratic. If they were willing to reform in future and stop taking control of more and more my vote would definatley have been different. We joined a common market in 1973, and we are leaving something very different in 2016.

You my friend are BANG ON!

A common market is about trade.
Not about imposing your mad laws
Not about ensuring people can come and go as they please
Not about propping up failure
Not about dictatorships
Not about sucking out what you can.

For every tarrif imposed on us I hope we deregulate and attract more and more business.

The UK is a safe economy and will always be attractive

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024