Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Goalkeepers 07:02 - Jul 1 with 9060 viewsGloucs_R

Following on from the defence thread...

They've been poor this season too. Lumley probably cost us 10 goals this season and Kelly hasn't owned the number 1 shirt either. He was slow to get down to a few shots last night.

I've been watching Dieng on loan and although he looks decent, he's made a few mistakes too.

I know they are all young, for a keeper, but they've all cost us points this season. I do really miss Smithies.

It's not really a position we can afford to spend money on. I would say send Lumley out on loan next season and let Kelly and Dieng fight out.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Goalkeepers on 19:19 - Aug 28 with 1308 viewsNed_Kennedys

Lumley had a truly terrible season and is surely third choice at the moment although Kelly hardly made the position his own either. I would start Dieng every game from now on : by all accounts he did well at Doncaster and derserves a run to see what he can do.
Goalkeepers on 19:51 - Aug 28 with 1220 viewsEsox_Lucius

Goalkeepers on 19:15 - Aug 28 by WrightUp5hit___

and Dillon Barnes heading for a loan

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5982460/hibs-close-loan-qpr-barn

So perhaps Dieng, Miller and Marcin Brzozowski as our GK line up

What's the problem with Tyla Dickinson then?

The grass is always greener.

Goalkeepers on 19:52 - Aug 28 with 1215 viewsEsox_Lucius

Goalkeepers on 19:19 - Aug 28 by Ned_Kennedys

Lumley had a truly terrible season and is surely third choice at the moment although Kelly hardly made the position his own either. I would start Dieng every game from now on : by all accounts he did well at Doncaster and derserves a run to see what he can do.

Joe Lumley had brilliant reviews at Bristol. He also played well with no toxic fans screaming abuse at him during the Covid restart.

Goalkeepers on 20:05 - Aug 28 with 1185 viewskarl

Goalkeepers on 19:15 - Aug 28 by WrightUp5hit___

and Dillon Barnes heading for a loan

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5982460/hibs-close-loan-qpr-barn

So perhaps Dieng, Miller and Marcin Brzozowski as our GK line up

Pretty sure he'll come in as no2 but should get game time quite quick as Marciano the Hibs no1 is named in Israel squad and we have League Cup group games where I think you have to play the games regardless of international call ups.
Starts 7th October, current 2nd choice keeper is still fairly young and only played 1 or 2 first team games, would think Barnes will get the nod if they're taking him in, can't see any sense in having him as 3rd choice
Goalkeepers on 20:09 - Aug 28 with 1171 viewsbosh67

I like Joe but I have a feeling he may fancy a new start somewhere else. Birmingham interested.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Goalkeepers on 20:12 - Aug 28 with 1159 viewsGloucs_R

Goalkeepers on 19:52 - Aug 28 by Esox_Lucius

Joe Lumley had brilliant reviews at Bristol. He also played well with no toxic fans screaming abuse at him during the Covid restart.

He's got to deal with it though. 10 goals were his fault last season, Ingram would have been physically lynched had that been him.

I wouldn't be sad to see him go. He's been less than average. Likeable guy, came up through the ranks but sorry that's not enough. A decent League 1 keeper.

Kelly, jury out on him too.

Dieng, if he signs a new contract, has a massive opportunity to become our long-term number one. If he fails as well then you really have to ask questions about our scouting and goalkeeping network.

Goalkeepers on 20:46 - Aug 28 with 1084 viewsEsox_Lucius

Goalkeepers on 20:12 - Aug 28 by Gloucs_R

He's got to deal with it though. 10 goals were his fault last season, Ingram would have been physically lynched had that been him.

I wouldn't be sad to see him go. He's been less than average. Likeable guy, came up through the ranks but sorry that's not enough. A decent League 1 keeper.

Kelly, jury out on him too.

Dieng, if he signs a new contract, has a massive opportunity to become our long-term number one. If he fails as well then you really have to ask questions about our scouting and goalkeeping network.

"10 goals were his fault last season" how many of those were once the dogs abuse started? The first mistake he made that led to a goal was the misplaced pass out IIRC and he immediately turned to the fans behind the goal to apologise, he didn't need telling whose fault it was. After that he was getting screamed at for not not saving shots that were the result of shite defensive errors and you could see the spirit leave his body week by week. It was no surprise that he looked so much better with no crowd on his back.
Saying he's got to deal with it is fine if it is opposition fans abusing him but when it is his own supporters then no, he doesn't have to deal with it, and shouldn't have to. Abusing our own players is never acceptable during a game. Never!

Goalkeepers on 20:50 - Aug 28 with 1076 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Goalkeepers on 19:19 - Aug 28 by Ned_Kennedys

Only a few weeks ago Lumley was first choice.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Goalkeepers on 20:55 - Aug 28 with 1062 viewsGloucs_R

Goalkeepers on 20:46 - Aug 28 by Esox_Lucius

"10 goals were his fault last season" how many of those were once the dogs abuse started? The first mistake he made that led to a goal was the misplaced pass out IIRC and he immediately turned to the fans behind the goal to apologise, he didn't need telling whose fault it was. After that he was getting screamed at for not not saving shots that were the result of shite defensive errors and you could see the spirit leave his body week by week. It was no surprise that he looked so much better with no crowd on his back.
Saying he's got to deal with it is fine if it is opposition fans abusing him but when it is his own supporters then no, he doesn't have to deal with it, and shouldn't have to. Abusing our own players is never acceptable during a game. Never!

I don't like it, but we have a history of turning on our own players. Lazy Eze..... 🙄

Polter
Hugill
Eze
Ingram

All got abuse. You block it out or it affects you. Clearly he can't deal with the pressure.

Had he have not come up through the ranks, would you be as supportive?

I think he's got a good League 1 future ahead of him. Maybe in 5 years he'll be mature enough to handle it. I wish him good luck if he moves away.

Goalkeepers on 21:01 - Aug 28 with 1035 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Goalkeepers on 20:55 - Aug 28 by Gloucs_R

I don't like it, but we have a history of turning on our own players. Lazy Eze..... 🙄

Polter
Hugill
Eze
Ingram

All got abuse. You block it out or it affects you. Clearly he can't deal with the pressure.

I think he's got a good League 1 future ahead of him. Maybe in 5 years he'll be mature enough to handle it. I wish him good luck if he moves away.

"Clearly he can't deal with the pressure."

I don't think that's clear at all, to be fair Gloucs.

I think he's bounced back from a torrid spell that's buried many Goalies down the decades. I think that he's shown an extraordinary ability to deal with pressure.

Goalkeepers on 21:12 - Aug 28 with 1002 viewsGloucs_R

Goalkeepers on 21:01 - Aug 28 by BrianMcCarthy

"Clearly he can't deal with the pressure."

I don't think that's clear at all, to be fair Gloucs.

I think he's bounced back from a torrid spell that's buried many Goalies down the decades. I think that he's shown an extraordinary ability to deal with pressure.

He did ok when there were no crowds to distract him Brian.

Listen, no witch hunt from me. I think he has some potential but at this moment in time, he's not good enough to be a championship keeper.

Goalkeepers on 21:35 - Aug 28 with 941 viewsEsox_Lucius

Polter
Hugill
Eze
Ingram

Look what the abuse did to Josh Scowen. I'll say it again, abuse of our players during games is totally unacceptable. No-one ever had a better game after hearing "Fück off you useless cünt" shouted at them every few minutes did they?

Goalkeepers on 21:37 - Aug 28 with 926 viewsGloucs_R

Goalkeepers on 21:35 - Aug 28 by Esox_Lucius

Look what the abuse did to Josh Scowen. I'll say it again, abuse of our players during games is totally unacceptable. No-one ever had a better game after hearing "Fück off you useless cünt" shouted at them every few minutes did they?

I don't disagree with that...(I thought I said that?)

But people do say that so players have to learn to deal with it.

Goalkeepers on 21:43 - Aug 28 with 906 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Goalkeepers on 21:12 - Aug 28 by Gloucs_R

He did ok when there were no crowds to distract him Brian.

Listen, no witch hunt from me. I think he has some potential but at this moment in time, he's not good enough to be a championship keeper.

I disagree, sorry. I think he has shown in two of his three spells that he is clearly good enough to be a Championship keeper.

I take your point about the lack of crowds in his third spell and I agree that we have to see him maintain that when the crowds come back. But when he broke into the team first he was above average for this level and nothing's changed in his physiology and I think that he's displayed an excellent mentality to recover fro the blips that every young pro goes through.

Goalkeepers on 21:49 - Aug 28 with 883 viewsGloucs_R

Goalkeepers on 21:43 - Aug 28 by BrianMcCarthy

I disagree, sorry. I think he has shown in two of his three spells that he is clearly good enough to be a Championship keeper.

I take your point about the lack of crowds in his third spell and I agree that we have to see him maintain that when the crowds come back. But when he broke into the team first he was above average for this level and nothing's changed in his physiology and I think that he's displayed an excellent mentality to recover fro the blips that every young pro goes through.

That's why I enjoy this board...... Different views without the Twitter abuse 😁

Goalkeepers on 21:59 - Aug 28 with 859 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Goalkeepers on 21:49 - Aug 28 by Gloucs_R

That's why I enjoy this board...... Different views without the Twitter abuse 😁

Ditto, Gloucs.

Goalkeepers on 22:17 - Aug 28 with 809 viewsMyke

Polter
Hugill
Eze
Ingram

I totally don't get the idea of abusing your own players. Those that do need to look up the definition of 'supporters' It's very strange. No gaelic football or hurling players ever ever get abused by their own fans ( and very rarely by the opposing fans either) But the same fans can go to a soccer match and abuse every player they don't fancy. Must be a cultural thing
Goalkeepers on 22:18 - Aug 28 with 808 viewskarl

I watched Dieng at Dundee and my impression was not that he was better than Kelly nor Lumley, his season at Doncaster may have been an improvement of course.
If I'm honest then I would be disappointed that Hibs have taken a keeper on loan (Edit Barnes) who puts a home bred keeper down to 3rd choice if he is 4th choice behind those, Dabrowski isn't a bad back up, only seen him play live for u20s but he looked decent and always does well and compares favourably with the other keepers in the pre match warm up, of course that just practising technique before a game and carries none of the pressure a game has.
How does Barnes rate alongside the others, anyone enough knowledge on them?
Fwiw I think Lumley is the best keeper but only when he's on top of his game, Kelly probably able to brush off the mistakes a bit easier, I think a settled CB pairing who cut out their mistakes and we're OK between the sticks imo.
If we get a fee for Lumley then it was the scenario I thought would play out and Barnes going on loan would be part of that process too preparing the next movement. However Hibs fans commenting that he has 1yr left and wondering if there's an element of turning loan into permanent signing, does he actually have the legendary 1yr option that catches so many out?
[Post edited 28 Aug 2020 22:20]
Goalkeepers on 22:23 - Aug 28 with 799 viewsHastings_Hoops

Have to say that in the game that Luke Freeman beat Leeds 1-0; it wasn’t actually just Luke Freeman that beat Leeds - Lumley pulled off some world class goalkeeping, showing what he is capable of. Not sure he ever got the credit, because of Freeman’s brilliance that night.
Goalkeepers on 22:42 - Aug 28 with 766 viewsMyke

Goalkeeper is such a maligned position in the first place. Green is well down the list of our favourite player but he was quite superb in our promotion year and he and Dunne almost kept Derby at bay on their own in the play-off final. Moreover, in an absolute dismal season in the prem, he and Austin were our stand-out players,
Lumley is a decent championship keeper, whether he'll get the chance to prove it at QPR is up for debate
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024