Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Goalkeepers 07:02 - Jul 1 with 9058 viewsGloucs_R

Following on from the defence thread...

They've been poor this season too. Lumley probably cost us 10 goals this season and Kelly hasn't owned the number 1 shirt either. He was slow to get down to a few shots last night.

I've been watching Dieng on loan and although he looks decent, he's made a few mistakes too.

I know they are all young, for a keeper, but they've all cost us points this season. I do really miss Smithies.

It's not really a position we can afford to spend money on. I would say send Lumley out on loan next season and let Kelly and Dieng fight out.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Goalkeepers on 21:31 - Jul 28 with 2285 viewsGloucs_R

It's a position where we can and maybe should sell one of the three
[Post edited 28 Jul 2020 21:31]

Goalkeepers on 07:36 - Jul 29 with 2115 viewsstevec

Goalkeepers on 21:27 - Jul 28 by Northernr

Well interesting isn't it.
Renew Lumley's contract now, watch the reaction.
Don't renew it and Lumley makes a storming start to next season, then refuses a renewal, watch the reaction.

A thoroughly good keeper in Smithies went for £3m. Contract or no contract Lumley won’t be moving on for anything like that.

You could argue that we went in to lockdown 6 points off the play offs for a specific reason, whether he gets over that and improves is up to him, not sure we should be offering a new contract at this point in time.

Let him carry on but bring in an experienced back up keeper in case things go pear shaped in that department again. We seem to have too many rookie keepers at present, I’m not sure why the club encourages this.
Goalkeepers on 07:50 - Jul 29 with 2087 viewstimcocking

I'd like to see Joe given another shot to prove last year was just a bad year, growing pains shall we say. When he doesn't make an error, i absolutely love having him in the side.

There have been a lot of errors so far, though. Another season like this one and i'd be forgetting about him at that stage.
Goalkeepers on 08:16 - Jul 29 with 2065 viewsGloucs_R

Dieng is 25 now, 60 appearances
Lumley, 25, 100 appearances
Kelly, 24, 100 appearances

These lads aren't young anymore. I know keepers can go on until their late 30s but they should all be mature enough to hold down a spot. Smithies was their age when he joined, Lee Camp even younger.

I'm going to hazard a guess that Dieng will start the season as the number one, if he signed a new contract
[Post edited 29 Jul 2020 8:26]

Goalkeepers on 08:33 - Jul 29 with 2028 viewstoboboly

Stick with Lumley, he looks to have worked on his game and gotten better. You could have Gordon Banks behind that defence and still concede 70 - that is where the improvement needs to happen.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Goalkeepers on 14:00 - Jul 29 with 1948 viewsGloucs_R

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8132279/

That's an interesting article above. The Doncaster manager said that he is destined for the Premier League and international caps.

Goalkeepers on 14:09 - Jul 29 with 1927 viewsNov77

Goalkeepers on 08:33 - Jul 29 by toboboly

Stick with Lumley, he looks to have worked on his game and gotten better. You could have Gordon Banks behind that defence and still concede 70 - that is where the improvement needs to happen.

Didn’t sky put up a graphic at the start of the West Brom game saying Lumley had made the joint most errors in the championship that season. Staggering when you think how many games he was sat on the bench.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Goalkeepers on 15:45 - Jul 29 with 1855 viewsTheChef

Goalkeepers on 21:27 - Jul 28 by Northernr

Well interesting isn't it.
Renew Lumley's contract now, watch the reaction.
Don't renew it and Lumley makes a storming start to next season, then refuses a renewal, watch the reaction.

Would love him to make a storming start to the season - and if there's suddenly a queue of prospective buyers, well, lucky us I say.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Login to get fewer ads

Goalkeepers on 16:26 - Aug 21 with 1690 viewsGloucs_R

has anyone else noticed that Dieng hasn't been included in any of the photos and Warburton never mentioned him in his interview today about players returning.

Goalkeepers on 16:28 - Aug 21 with 1675 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Goalkeepers on 16:26 - Aug 21 by Gloucs_R

has anyone else noticed that Dieng hasn't been included in any of the photos and Warburton never mentioned him in his interview today about players returning.

Not on the Offish Squad page either, Gloucs.

https://www.qpr.co.uk/squads/first-team/

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Goalkeepers on 16:29 - Aug 21 with 1675 viewsNorthernr

Goalkeepers on 16:26 - Aug 21 by Gloucs_R

Well they’ve told Doncaster he’s not available for loan again and Barnes is playing for Swindon in pre-season so we know that much.
Goalkeepers on 16:32 - Aug 21 with 1655 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Goalkeepers on 16:28 - Aug 21 by BrianMcCarthy

Not on the Offish Squad page either, Gloucs.

https://www.qpr.co.uk/squads/first-team/

But then Rangel is still in there and neither of the two new signings have been added. So I wouldn’t take too much from that.

Edit - They’re also still wearing last seasons kit.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2020 16:35]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Goalkeepers on 16:36 - Aug 21 with 1629 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Goalkeepers on 16:32 - Aug 21 by CliveWilsonSaid

But then Rangel is still in there and neither of the two new signings have been added. So I wouldn’t take too much from that.

Edit - They’re also still wearing last seasons kit.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2020 16:35]

Ya, very true!

Goalkeepers on 16:39 - Aug 21 with 1618 viewsPhildo

My son is a hockey goal keeper - at 16 he got about as far as he could with Hockey England other than actually getting selected for England. He has moved into the mens squads at his club this year and they have resumed training.

It is interesting to watch the jump from junior to senior. Obviously there is a big jump in physicality and fitness. Good hockey players tend to be very fit indeed. The coaching he is getting is much more about the reading of the game as a keeper than basic shot stopping. It does make me think that 24/25 is still young for a keeper as a position it is so much more about learning the game.

it is true that the standard of keeping in the championship is not great across the board but is it so much better in the premier? England are not really spoiled for good keepers are they? Has something happened with the coaching and development of keeping - is it the emphasis on distribution as opposed to good footwork which used to be so much of coaching keeping? That is probably over simplistic but we do seem to be getting worse at keeping overall.
Goalkeepers on 16:55 - Aug 21 with 1565 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Goalkeepers on 16:39 - Aug 21 by Phildo

My son is a hockey goal keeper - at 16 he got about as far as he could with Hockey England other than actually getting selected for England. He has moved into the mens squads at his club this year and they have resumed training.

It is interesting to watch the jump from junior to senior. Obviously there is a big jump in physicality and fitness. Good hockey players tend to be very fit indeed. The coaching he is getting is much more about the reading of the game as a keeper than basic shot stopping. It does make me think that 24/25 is still young for a keeper as a position it is so much more about learning the game.

it is true that the standard of keeping in the championship is not great across the board but is it so much better in the premier? England are not really spoiled for good keepers are they? Has something happened with the coaching and development of keeping - is it the emphasis on distribution as opposed to good footwork which used to be so much of coaching keeping? That is probably over simplistic but we do seem to be getting worse at keeping overall.

Great post.

I'm a goalkeeping coach in GAA and soccer is one of the sports we watch and learn from. Plus, I'm obviously a Rangers and association football fan.

I think that worldwide goalkeeping is of a much higher level than it's ever been and I would say that's true in every facet of the art. I think you maybe right that England lagged behind some countries in the development of keepers but I'm not sure it's because of a switch to sweeper keepers and the use of good distributors as I would rate English goalies as poor in that department. e.g. International Caps for Jordan Pickford, Joe Hart, Jack Butland and Rob Green, fine traditional goalkeepers but ones that absolutely hated the ball and didn't want it anywhere near them.

I think it might be changing. Managers like Warburton will drive the change. I'd like to know which goalkeeping coaches worked with Smithies and (maybe) Ramsdale during their formative years because Smithies' distribution and comfort on the ball is excellent and I think Ramsdale may be good too.

Goalkeepers on 17:33 - Aug 21 with 1497 viewsrsonist

https://theathletic.co.uk/1890663/2020/06/26/dan-rose-everton-schalke-england-ir

16 yo kid who this summer made a big push to go to Schalke for the keeper schooling rather than stay at Everton. Watching England's #1 every week, can hardly blame him.
Goalkeepers on 18:09 - Aug 21 with 1427 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Goalkeepers on 17:33 - Aug 21 by rsonist

https://theathletic.co.uk/1890663/2020/06/26/dan-rose-everton-schalke-england-ir

16 yo kid who this summer made a big push to go to Schalke for the keeper schooling rather than stay at Everton. Watching England's #1 every week, can hardly blame him.

Loved that piece, thanks rsonist. The Athletic is quality.

Hadn't heard of him before but I'll keep an eye if he keeps playing for Ireland's youth teams.

Goalkeepers on 16:44 - Aug 28 with 1178 viewsGloucs_R

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-joe-lumley-birmingham-city-interest-2202

👀

Goalkeepers on 17:40 - Aug 28 with 1083 viewsPinnerPaul

Goalkeepers on 16:44 - Aug 28 by Gloucs_R

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-joe-lumley-birmingham-city-interest-2202

👀

That would probably be why Dieng suddenly got 90' out of nowhere!
Goalkeepers on 17:54 - Aug 28 with 1053 viewsNorthernr

Goalkeepers on 17:40 - Aug 28 by PinnerPaul

I think it’ll be Lumley and Kelly tomorrow and I find that story a bit left field. Brum we’re looking at Dieng under Clotet but they’ve just signed a Spanish keeper today as number 2 and are advanced on Dillon Phillips from Charlton as number 1.
Goalkeepers on 18:37 - Aug 28 with 987 viewsGloucs_R

Goalkeepers on 17:54 - Aug 28 by Northernr

I think it’ll be Lumley and Kelly tomorrow and I find that story a bit left field. Brum we’re looking at Dieng under Clotet but they’ve just signed a Spanish keeper today as number 2 and are advanced on Dillon Phillips from Charlton as number 1.

Agent and club putting his name out there?

Goalkeepers on 18:40 - Aug 28 with 982 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Goalkeepers on 17:40 - Aug 28 by PinnerPaul

Maybe.

But maybe also they'd have been tempted to put Lumley on the ship window to make sure they did get a bid?

Goalkeepers on 18:41 - Aug 28 with 976 viewsflynnbo

Goalkeepers on 18:40 - Aug 28 by BrianMcCarthy

Maybe.

But maybe also they'd have been tempted to put Lumley on the ship window to make sure they did get a bid?

It's called a porthole, Brian!
Goalkeepers on 19:03 - Aug 28 with 940 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Goalkeepers on 18:41 - Aug 28 by flynnbo

It's called a porthole, Brian!

Brilliant.

I'm not even going to edit that!

Goalkeepers on 19:15 - Aug 28 with 910 viewsWrightUp5hit___

and Dillon Barnes heading for a loan

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5982460/hibs-close-loan-qpr-barn

So perhaps Dieng, Miller and Marcin Brzozowski as our GK line up
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024