Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPR kid on Victoria Derbyshire 09:53 - Mar 8 with 8955 viewsMrSheen

We have TVs on in our office with the sound off and subtitles on, for some reason. Out of the corner of my eye, I can see her interviewing a kid in a QPR training top about his suicide attempts, and how being a youth team player has helped him. Can anyone shed any light?
QPR kid on Victoria Derbyshire on 14:57 - Mar 8 with 2687 viewsYorkRanger

Tremendous credit to James, both in terms of coming through his challenges and then speaking about it to highlight the plight to others. Very proud of my football club as well.
QPR kid on Victoria Derbyshire on 15:08 - Mar 8 with 2654 viewsbosh67

James is a huge guiding light for people who suffer from mental health issues. His story reminds me of Professor Green, who I also greatly admire.

Very proud of James and very proud of my club.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

QPR kid on Victoria Derbyshire on 15:12 - Mar 8 with 2638 viewshopphoops

QPR kid on Victoria Derbyshire on 14:38 - Mar 8 by BrianMcCarthy

Phenomenal strength by James and his Mum, and phenomenal work by Rangers

The week before last, our Gaelic Football club, Urhan, lost Shane to suicide. Shane was sixteen. Sixteen. He was popular, intelligent, good-looking and good at football. Yet in the morning he put his kid sister on her school bus and instead of heading to his half-term job he took a rope and walked down the woods.

As a club, we have tried to tackle suicide, we have adopted as our sister charity a great organisation that helped us raise suicide awareness and train for suicide prevention. And yet we didn't keep Shane alive.

Right now, as a club and as individuals who help run the club, we are lost, shaken, doubting ourselves, angry, drained, guilty and confused. It would be lying to say that we were otherwise. This is how it is, and how it has to be. For now at least, until we start to heal. But we can't lose faith in what we are trying to achieve in suicide awareness and prevention.

Shane didn't make it, but James did.

I will be forwarding this to clubmates in Urhan to remind them that we are working in the right direction. We just have to work harder.

Well done, Rangers. Well done.

i'm sure you're doing great stuff Brian. Keep up the good work. And RIP Shane.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

QPR kid on Victoria Derbyshire on 15:20 - Mar 8 with 2619 viewskarl

The week before last, our Gaelic Football club, Urhan, lost Shane to suicide. Shane was sixteen. Sixteen. He was popular, intelligent, good-looking and good at football. Yet in the morning he put his kid sister on her school bus and instead of heading to his half-term job he took a rope and walked down the woods.

As a club, we have tried to tackle suicide, we have adopted as our sister charity a great organisation that helped us raise suicide awareness and train for suicide prevention. And yet we didn't keep Shane alive.

Right now, as a club and as individuals who help run the club, we are lost, shaken, doubting ourselves, angry, drained, guilty and confused. It would be lying to say that we were otherwise. This is how it is, and how it has to be. For now at least, until we start to heal. But we can't lose faith in what we are trying to achieve in suicide awareness and prevention.

I will be forwarding this to clubmates in Urhan to remind them that we are working in the right direction. We just have to work harder.

Condolences to everyone connected Brian, thats such a sad story after having spirits raised with James'.
Highlights the importance of the work they're doing in the Trust and hopefully that your club will bring to your own area.
Good luck to all involved
QPR kid on Victoria Derbyshire on 15:26 - Mar 8 with 2603 views2Thomas2Bowles

Super brave lad and a super football club.

How good does it feel to know we are getting back to being a club for our community and away from the utter shite of Flavio's dream of a 'boutique' club.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

QPR kid on Victoria Derbyshire on 15:34 - Mar 8 with 2577 viewsWilloW4

QPR kid on Victoria Derbyshire on 12:13 - Mar 8 by Ranger78

Well done young man. Good for you.

Well done QPR Community Trust.

Excellent stuff

In a nutshell... Onwards and upwards James.. Well done to QPR community trust and all involved.
QPR kid on Victoria Derbyshire on 16:07 - Mar 8 with 2486 viewsDorse

https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/donation-web/charity?charityId=1002744&stop_mob

One more time - the donation address for QPR Community Trust

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

QPR kid on Victoria Derbyshire on 17:34 - Mar 8 with 2330 viewsterryb

QPR kid on Victoria Derbyshire on 12:41 - Mar 8 by A40Bosh

And importantly well done his mum!!

She went out and bought James a pair of boots within the hour!
Having had my daughter severely ill with depression and anxiety I know that we would have done the same because you will do absolutely anything you can think of to try and do something to try and make your child "better".

So a combination of James' strength to recover, the mental health team he was working with, QPR In the Community and the love of his family got him to a much better place.

What we need the government to wake up to and realize is - not every family is ABLE to give that support for whatever reason, not every James has a parent or parents who are willing to fight on their behalf, because with the NHS, for good or for bad, everything you need is firstly hard fought for and then hard fought to retain.

For all the other James and Janes out there the government has to get serious about providing proper funding and facilities and within easy reach and access for the millions of children - and of course adults- who are finding modern life a real struggle for whatever reason.

Teresa May standing at the ballot box, giving an Oscar winning speech, is not going to make one shred of difference to the horrific state of mental health support in this country. Action is needed - money is needed.

IF THEY CAN FIND BILLIONS OF POUNDS AT SHORT NOTICE TO PAY FOR THE BREXIT PROGRAMME, THEN WHY CAN THEY NOT FIND THE SAME MONEY FOR MUCH MORE IMPORTANT REASONS CLOSER TO HOME.

Help fix the kids at an early age and you will save more money further down the line when they are not in dire need of NHS services, or God forbid, locked up in prisons, because they did not get support at an early age that would have helped them to recover.

Well done to all - a positive story, but the reality is that James, for as horrific an experience he has clearly gone through, please God, long terms he will be counted as one of the lucky ones who has regained his life and has a future. The best of luck to him. A VERY brave young man to be able to go both in to Parliament and then on to National TV.

VERY Proud of you son!!!
[Post edited 8 Mar 2017 12:48]

A superb post A40Bosh.

The fight against mental illness & the lack of understanding of it needs all the funds & publicity it can garnish.

I still find it hard to accept how few self help groups there are. As somneone who has suffered from depression I would like to help others but none seem to exist in Suffolk.
Login to get fewer ads

QPR kid on Victoria Derbyshire on 17:39 - Mar 8 with 2322 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Thanks, lads. And thanks to Watford for the nice PM's.

Great post, Bosh, by the way. meant to say it earlier.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

QPR kid on Victoria Derbyshire on 17:41 - Mar 8 with 2320 viewsterryb

I know that it's hard to accept Brian, but sometimes there is no more that you could do. This is something that James was asked about regarding his father.

It seems to me that you & your club have nothing to reproach yourselves over & that you are doing a wonderful job.
QPR kid on Victoria Derbyshire on 18:25 - Mar 8 with 2235 viewsBrianMcCarthy

QPR kid on Victoria Derbyshire on 17:41 - Mar 8 by terryb

I know that it's hard to accept Brian, but sometimes there is no more that you could do. This is something that James was asked about regarding his father.

It seems to me that you & your club have nothing to reproach yourselves over & that you are doing a wonderful job.

Thanks Terry. Appreciate that.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

QPR kid on Victoria Derbyshire on 21:15 - Mar 8 with 1999 viewsMrSheen

I'm so sorry to read that, Brian. My own experience is that trying to rationalise what is such an irrational act doesn't get you anywhere and that there's no reason to find fault with yourself. It sounds like you are doing what you can to encourage your boys to seek help in the future.
QPR kid on Victoria Derbyshire on 21:36 - Mar 8 with 1964 viewsMytch_QPR

Hi all,

Not posted for a while, due to new job (head down etc)...
I hope you are all good.

I just wanted to add (and agree) to everyone's posts here. In the past, people have spoken about the club having an 'identity crisis' - particularly during the big spending years, when we achieved more notoriety but little else.

For me, this the real QPR - give me 10,000 (or whatever it was) against Barnsley with real supporters and a manager who cares. If one life is saved then the Premier League dream can wait.... and wait.

Proud of my club and the community trust. I always try to put a fiver their way when booking a ticket - far more inclined to do so these days now that the big earners are off the payroll (I appreciate donations to the trust are entirely separate but you probably get my point).

I know a lot of the posters on this board have been brutally honest about their personal lives - on the whole we only know each other through the web, and could very well have sat next to each other at a game and not spoken, but here is a man who has appeared publicly and spoken bravely about his fight. Other clubs, take note.

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

QPR kid on Victoria Derbyshire on 21:51 - Mar 8 with 1931 viewsBrightonhoop

Terribly sad Brian. All we can do is our best. So long as we so our best. No doubt you all did your very best.

One major change from the last generation is at least it gets talked about, it's always been so taboo and dismissed with sound bites. It's a big step forwards. And still painfull and impossible to comprehend.

As someone else above said, this is what makes a Club. There's likely alot more James' out there so let's all tread a little more gently, none of us know what others are going through behind the scenes.
QPR kid on Victoria Derbyshire on 21:58 - Mar 8 with 1913 viewssmegma

The club held two evenings on Mental Health Awareness just before Christmas in conjunction with the FA. I'm glad things like this are becoming more out in the open as it's always been a taboo subject. Until Stan Collymore revealed his mental health issues people looked at the subject with extreme nonchalance. Some still do in fact sadly. Anyone with a heart would've watched that clip and welled up. I did.
QPR kid on Victoria Derbyshire on 22:58 - Mar 8 with 1693 viewsted_hendrix

QPR kid on Victoria Derbyshire on 10:31 - Mar 8 by daveB

Almost ashamed to say I've had two attempts to watch this and haven't got through it yet.
Beats me up I'm afraid, I'm no good at this sort of thing.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

QPR kid on Victoria Derbyshire on 23:35 - Mar 8 with 1670 viewsBrightonhoop

QPR kid on Victoria Derbyshire on 22:58 - Mar 8 by ted_hendrix

Almost ashamed to say I've had two attempts to watch this and haven't got through it yet.
Beats me up I'm afraid, I'm no good at this sort of thing.

No shame Ted, it's impossible 3 times. You just want to take the young fella under the wing. So proud my club did, none of us knew his situation, and the Trust did us all proud. Reason 2167 why i love this Club and we never go so low again as Briatore and Co. Never.
QPR kid on Victoria Derbyshire on 00:03 - Mar 9 with 1648 viewsPunteR

Just shows what taking the initiative and helping can make.
Massive respect to the club but more importantly to James.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

QPR kid on Victoria Derbyshire on 01:15 - Mar 9 with 1628 viewsFredManRave

Below is the full 15 mintue interview. It's tough viewing.

It's heartbreaking yet inspirational in equal measure. Such suffering and trauma for such a young person to have to go through but he is undoubtedly in a better place now than he was just a couple of years ago even though as somebody else mentioned it can be a never ending road to recovery.
And hopefully his bravery and showing that you can come through the other side will hopefullly resonate with any youngsters in similar situations.

Well done all involved.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04w6rvn

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

QPR kid on Victoria Derbyshire on 04:22 - Mar 9 with 1588 viewswrinklyhoop

Was in bits just reading the article, don't think I can watch the interview. Gotta love our Club!
QPR kid on Victoria Derbyshire on 13:09 - Mar 9 with 1399 viewsmarkrtid

"We are not just friends. We are family"

Well done James and thank you QPR.
QPR kid on Victoria Derbyshire on 16:53 - Mar 9 with 1289 viewsLblock

QPR kid on Victoria Derbyshire on 01:15 - Mar 9 by FredManRave

Below is the full 15 mintue interview. It's tough viewing.

It's heartbreaking yet inspirational in equal measure. Such suffering and trauma for such a young person to have to go through but he is undoubtedly in a better place now than he was just a couple of years ago even though as somebody else mentioned it can be a never ending road to recovery.
And hopefully his bravery and showing that you can come through the other side will hopefullly resonate with any youngsters in similar situations.

Well done all involved.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04w6rvn

"......................................."

No words enough.
From 10 mins 41 secs on it's almost unwatchable for a couple of minutes. Devastating stuff.

Mental illness is no shame. No shame at all.
This sometimes hideous modern world is pushing more and more of us to the edge. Thank God for people who go the extra mile and beyond outside of the NHS system (which is in tatters) - every hat I own off to Andy Evans and the staff.

I will certainly donate this ST renewal

QPR. Then. Now. Always

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

QPR kid on Victoria Derbyshire on 17:19 - Mar 9 with 1273 viewsconnell10

Just watched the full interveiw, im in bits, just wanna give him a hug and tell him everyhting is gonna be alright, if was only that easy!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

QPR kid on Victoria Derbyshire on 17:27 - Mar 9 with 1268 viewsHarbour

God how brave hope everything goes ok for kid ..Well done the community trust well done qpr for everything you do for the community feeling proud of our club and has reminded me to donate to a fantastic cause
QPR kid on Victoria Derbyshire on 18:07 - Mar 9 with 1240 viewsdistortR

Just want to add to this. Respect to you James, we're here for you.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024