Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale 13:00 - Sep 18 with 12785 viewsRochdaleAFC.com

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/rochdale/news/62987/

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 17:41 - Sep 21 with 3266 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 17:32 - Sep 21 by mikehunt

Awful defending for every goal conceded today.

Where is our "mean" defence? Gone missing?
Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 17:43 - Sep 21 with 3261 viewsrichfoad32

Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 17:23 - Sep 21 by TalkingSutty

You didn't see the penalty then?

That was so poor coming so soon after Rodney's effort, knocked the stuffing out of us when I thought there was a real chance to push on a get something out of the game.
Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 17:47 - Sep 21 with 3224 views442Dale

Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 17:29 - Sep 21 by Yorkshire_Dale

Well, that's 10 games up Jimbo and we have 17 points so far.....ok? Based on your guestimate of 75 points to hit a play off place we still need 58 more from 36 remaining games therefore just over 1.6 points per game. Currently getting 1.7. So still very attainable?

10 games in, time for McNulty to look at the table me thinks.....have we performed well so far?

On paper it’s a good start. We have a good squad capable of playing attacking football that gets results. We have a preferred way of playing that can achieve that too.

But, and it’s a big but, one that’s consistent throughout for me, we have some real issues that need first acknowledging and then addressing. The main one is around team selection and the consistency of it.

Ferguson was playing well, as well as he’s ever played since coming to the club. He was free of injury and was doing everything asked of him. True, it had only been a couple of games but we were getting results. He was left out for Sassi against Aldershot, we continued getting results. But now we aren’t and he isn’t even in the squad. Now there may be an injury but we had a player full of confidence who now knows he’s not first choice and a replacement who is struggling by all accounts (not seen any of today’s game).

That’s one example. The midfield is another. At some stage McNulty has to decide which is his strongest team and stick to it. At the moment we have almost too many choices and little in the way of significant impact. The signings of Westley and Ayinde have cluttered things even more.

So yeah, we’re probably ahead of where I’d have expected but the concerns are real. It’s to be hoped the manager shares them. I’ve a worry he’s not even acknowledging them at present.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 17:50 - Sep 21 with 3201 viewsNorthernDale

I notice that Henry and Ferguson was missing from the squad today, I wonder why.

I will be interested to see what McNulty says.
Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 17:53 - Sep 21 with 3160 views442Dale

Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 17:50 - Sep 21 by NorthernDale

I notice that Henry and Ferguson was missing from the squad today, I wonder why.

Or if he’s even asked. We have to hope that changes tonight.

Supporters have been totally failed so far by the way the club chooses to conduct interviews.
[Post edited 21 Sep 18:08]

Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 17:57 - Sep 21 with 3103 viewsD_Alien

Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 17:47 - Sep 21 by 442Dale

On paper it’s a good start. We have a good squad capable of playing attacking football that gets results. We have a preferred way of playing that can achieve that too.

But, and it’s a big but, one that’s consistent throughout for me, we have some real issues that need first acknowledging and then addressing. The main one is around team selection and the consistency of it.

Ferguson was playing well, as well as he’s ever played since coming to the club. He was free of injury and was doing everything asked of him. True, it had only been a couple of games but we were getting results. He was left out for Sassi against Aldershot, we continued getting results. But now we aren’t and he isn’t even in the squad. Now there may be an injury but we had a player full of confidence who now knows he’s not first choice and a replacement who is struggling by all accounts (not seen any of today’s game).

That’s one example. The midfield is another. At some stage McNulty has to decide which is his strongest team and stick to it. At the moment we have almost too many choices and little in the way of significant impact. The signings of Westley and Ayinde have cluttered things even more.

So yeah, we’re probably ahead of where I’d have expected but the concerns are real. It’s to be hoped the manager shares them. I’ve a worry he’s not even acknowledging them at present.

He's grappling - for the first time in his career as a manager, with having choices to make due to a larger squad - and i don't think he's come to terms with it yet. That's not to say he won't but also why he remains insufficiently tested

Sassi is almost certainly being selected due to being slightly more adept with the ball at his feet than Ferguson, and it's already been discussed why that matters (too much, imo) to JM
[Post edited 21 Sep 18:12]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 18:05 - Sep 21 with 3015 viewsTVOS1907

Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 17:50 - Sep 21 by NorthernDale

I would guess Henry was injured given his influence on things so far. No idea about Ferguson.
[Post edited 21 Sep 18:06]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 18:12 - Sep 21 with 2928 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 18:05 - Sep 21 by TVOS1907

I would guess Henry was injured given his influence on things so far. No idea about Ferguson.
[Post edited 21 Sep 18:06]

Ferguson was injury prone last season but as said ,has done well when called upon.
Login to get fewer ads

Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 18:14 - Sep 21 with 2901 viewsThacks_Rabbits

The thing baffling me is this. I’m assuming Hendo is on a decent contract still but plays next to no time. If Jim is not going to bloody use him what’s the point? May as well have a kid on the bench and save cash.

This isn’t a slight on Hendo, more at the logic of Jim!

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 18:19 - Sep 21 with 2848 views49thseason

I think Henry is the big miss, at both ends of the pitch too. He looks forward anf passes forward as much as any midfielder I can remember.. is excellent from dead ball situations and deadly outside the box if he gets a shooting opportunity.. is he injured or out of favour? If the latter then its very disappointing.
Ferguson is an out and out defender and if fit I would have gone with a back four today obviously Eastleigh , as a top 7 team are not going to be a pushover at home and with the extra central defender we might have defender the lead better.
Consecutive defeats is not good for morale for the players or the fans......
Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 18:31 - Sep 21 with 2749 viewsNorthernDale

Yet when Henderson plays he can have a big influence on the teams performance, again like many people have indicated, McNulty team selection, tactics and subs can be baffling. McNulty is still an inexperienced manager and will make mistakes, but his belief in possession football is a concern and yes, he as a big squad, but he needs learn to pick his best starting eleven and bench.

We need a win on Tuesday at Hartlepool to get back on track.
Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 18:37 - Sep 21 with 2713 views442Dale

Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 18:31 - Sep 21 by NorthernDale

Yet when Henderson plays he can have a big influence on the teams performance, again like many people have indicated, McNulty team selection, tactics and subs can be baffling. McNulty is still an inexperienced manager and will make mistakes, but his belief in possession football is a concern and yes, he as a big squad, but he needs learn to pick his best starting eleven and bench.

By all accounts, the ‘possession football’ was not the issue today. We have to stop beating that drum because he will never change the way he wants his sides to play.

Nor will almost any manager who replaced him. The game has changed. I don’t like it, but that’s how it is.

Unless you know a load of managers who play differently, we should hope that ours who recognises that we can be entertaining and effective when playing at pace can solve the other problems mentioned above.

Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 18:38 - Sep 21 with 2697 views442Dale

Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 18:19 - Sep 21 by 49thseason

I think Henry is the big miss, at both ends of the pitch too. He looks forward anf passes forward as much as any midfielder I can remember.. is excellent from dead ball situations and deadly outside the box if he gets a shooting opportunity.. is he injured or out of favour? If the latter then its very disappointing.
Ferguson is an out and out defender and if fit I would have gone with a back four today obviously Eastleigh , as a top 7 team are not going to be a pushover at home and with the extra central defender we might have defender the lead better.
Consecutive defeats is not good for morale for the players or the fans......

If we’d gone to a back four we’d have had one less central defender. We’ve been playing three all season.

Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 18:39 - Sep 21 with 2698 viewsEdindale

Listened on Dale Player and got the impression that we were the better team with more chances but again were victims of four incidents of poor defending, the first being a goalkeeping error. The game could have easily been a 4-4 draw but we never sound like we can hold a lead away from home.

When we play top 7 teams like Eastleigh surely we need to ensure we have defensive cover particularly when McCallum is in their team. Ferguson would have seemed an obvious choice to-day.

Nonetheless I remain optimistic for a top 7 place, especially if we can add some goals from midfield. This league appears to be pretty even in terms of standard with no-one being outstanding although Forest Green are hitting their stride.

The next two games are important in terms of addressing this mini slump.

Henderson's situation is a puzzle but I would like to see the other fringe players given a chance.
Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 18:48 - Sep 21 with 2613 viewsDaley_Lama

Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 18:31 - Sep 21 by NorthernDale

I only remember 3 Eastliegh attacks in the first half

1. Keeper brings down forward, yellow due to covering defender
2. Keeper misses punch, defender juggles ball, their lad nods in
3. Corner routine. Cross - header - goal. Must have confused us by its simplicity

Other than that i thought we were good, creating and missing chances, odd bad final pass, very threatening.

Second half, can’t really fathom what was going on. Rodney non penalty then they score a walk in goal 10 seconds later? Losing possession in our own box and then fouling for a penalty. Winning a free kick, taking it quickly to a man who is offside. Poor decisions being made time and again.

Rodney goal was a good one. Good pass and run/finish.

Strange and frustrating game

Poll: DF in or out

Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 18:49 - Sep 21 with 2608 viewsNorthernDale

I have just listen to McNulty, he said we should have had a number of penalties, but the officials were poor and refuse to give them, despite being obvious penalties, apparently he got a yellow for telling them so.

Sassi got a muscle knock today, which needs monitoring, but Ferguson was ill on Friday and could not travel, hopefully he will be okay for Tuesday and Henry has a minor muscle tear and is likely to miss the next two weeks.
Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 18:59 - Sep 21 with 2523 views442Dale

Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 18:49 - Sep 21 by NorthernDale

I have just listen to McNulty, he said we should have had a number of penalties, but the officials were poor and refuse to give them, despite being obvious penalties, apparently he got a yellow for telling them so.

Sassi got a muscle knock today, which needs monitoring, but Ferguson was ill on Friday and could not travel, hopefully he will be okay for Tuesday and Henry has a minor muscle tear and is likely to miss the next two weeks.

Couple of mins in so far and it’s refreshing to hear an immediate acknowledgment of how we could have been better for the goals.

Then there’s a referee moan (maybe valid for those who watched), but to follow it up with ‘xG’ talk? Ugh. Modern football is rubbish.

Sassi sounds like he could be out on Tuesday so let’s hope Ferguson can recover from illness and solidify his place for a while.

We’d have less selection “turbulence” to worry about recently if those selections were more consistent, injuries permitting. Still, apart from the constant referring back to ref decisions despite saying he didn’t want to, that was actually one of the better interviews so far.
[Post edited 21 Sep 19:13]

Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 19:14 - Sep 21 with 2398 viewsTalkingSutty

Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 18:48 - Sep 21 by Daley_Lama

I only remember 3 Eastliegh attacks in the first half

1. Keeper brings down forward, yellow due to covering defender
2. Keeper misses punch, defender juggles ball, their lad nods in
3. Corner routine. Cross - header - goal. Must have confused us by its simplicity

Other than that i thought we were good, creating and missing chances, odd bad final pass, very threatening.

Second half, can’t really fathom what was going on. Rodney non penalty then they score a walk in goal 10 seconds later? Losing possession in our own box and then fouling for a penalty. Winning a free kick, taking it quickly to a man who is offside. Poor decisions being made time and again.

Rodney goal was a good one. Good pass and run/finish.

Strange and frustrating game

You mentioned poor decision making and that sums up our performance. Instead of clearing a high ball near the goal line Sassi attempts to head it over the top of their forward and just succeeds in leaving him a simple tap in, a ridiculous decision for any defender to make.

Robson was fortunate not to get a red card, coming out for a ball that he had no hope of getting, the last defender saved him but it was a poor decision.

Playing it out from the back again, poor control from Gilmour again and a poor decision to bring down their player for the penalty.

I watched all the game and the Rodney penalty claim appeared to show him run into the defender, i think that's how the referee interpreted it. That was my first reaction when i saw it but I haven't seen a replay. How did they then have the freedom of the pitch to break forward and walk the ball into the net? McNulty didn't mention that in his interview. I didn't see any other penalty incident and nobody on the commentary mentioned it.

The defending from the long throw which led to their second goal was also really poor, poor marking and no defender on the back post.

We've conceded six goals this week and all of them have been a comedy of errors. Mc Nulty is using today's referee as a smokescreen and a deflection tactic, the fans aren't daft.
[Post edited 21 Sep 19:15]
Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 19:18 - Sep 21 with 2346 views442Dale

Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 19:14 - Sep 21 by TalkingSutty

You mentioned poor decision making and that sums up our performance. Instead of clearing a high ball near the goal line Sassi attempts to head it over the top of their forward and just succeeds in leaving him a simple tap in, a ridiculous decision for any defender to make.

Robson was fortunate not to get a red card, coming out for a ball that he had no hope of getting, the last defender saved him but it was a poor decision.

Playing it out from the back again, poor control from Gilmour again and a poor decision to bring down their player for the penalty.

I watched all the game and the Rodney penalty claim appeared to show him run into the defender, i think that's how the referee interpreted it. That was my first reaction when i saw it but I haven't seen a replay. How did they then have the freedom of the pitch to break forward and walk the ball into the net? McNulty didn't mention that in his interview. I didn't see any other penalty incident and nobody on the commentary mentioned it.

The defending from the long throw which led to their second goal was also really poor, poor marking and no defender on the back post.

We've conceded six goals this week and all of them have been a comedy of errors. Mc Nulty is using today's referee as a smokescreen and a deflection tactic, the fans aren't daft.
[Post edited 21 Sep 19:15]

For someone who says refs have a hard job and that they’ll make mistakes, he sure does go on about how they fell short today. Hope our fans remember this when we see opposition benches go mad or moan after games.

The sarcastic “best decision he made all game” comment for receiving a yellow for dissent was poor form too.

This isn’t excusing any ref decisions btw, but we can only control ourselves. Much like when it comes to defending after any such decisions.

Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 19:40 - Sep 21 with 2199 viewsTalkingSutty

Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 19:18 - Sep 21 by 442Dale

For someone who says refs have a hard job and that they’ll make mistakes, he sure does go on about how they fell short today. Hope our fans remember this when we see opposition benches go mad or moan after games.

The sarcastic “best decision he made all game” comment for receiving a yellow for dissent was poor form too.

This isn’t excusing any ref decisions btw, but we can only control ourselves. Much like when it comes to defending after any such decisions.

The referee wasn't responsible for our defeat today, our defending was woeful and that's it, exactly the same as last Saturday. Jim needs to take it on the chin and sort the problem out, get that area of the team properly strengthened and we will be a force in this league. The centre of our defence has been a problem for a long time, EEL can do a job but hes getting older and is limited. Keep bringing in stop gap loan players doesn't solve the problem and it's obvious he doesn't fancy Ferguson. The deficiencies in our defence just undermine all the good work of those further up the pitch and eventually it will demoralise them, it needs sorting out.
Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 20:35 - Sep 21 with 1955 viewspioneer

We were lauding the defence when we went four games without conceding and only 2 goals against in the first 7 games.

Is it the players who arent up to it? For some reason we are back to conceding awful goals…something we appeared to have eradicated in the first month of the season.
Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 20:39 - Sep 21 with 1937 viewsJames1980

Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 20:35 - Sep 21 by pioneer

We were lauding the defence when we went four games without conceding and only 2 goals against in the first 7 games.

Is it the players who arent up to it? For some reason we are back to conceding awful goals…something we appeared to have eradicated in the first month of the season.

Were we unlucky today or have we been lucky up till last Saturday?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 20:45 - Sep 21 with 1884 viewsTVOS1907

Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 20:39 - Sep 21 by James1980

Neither.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 21:24 - Sep 21 with 1656 views442Dale

Don’t think I’ve seen it mentioned before, but that’s a right sitter Mitchell misses when we are 1-0 up. Fantastic bit of play and he somehow gets it over the bar, if that goes in it’s a totally different game.

Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 21:30 - Sep 21 with 1611 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Refwatch - Eastleigh v Rochdale on 20:39 - Sep 21 by James1980

Talking of luck Jimbo , whilst we were unlucky to loose Sassi through injury, Hartlepool had a player sent off (Ferguson)and should miss our trip on Tuesday hopefully with a bit of luck our version Ferguson might just be ready to go again?

Talk about swings and roundabouts?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024