Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread 14:40 - Aug 6 with 45556 viewsMonkey_Roots

This could be my first and last.

Firstly, last season's lasting legacy will hopefully last long into Marti's first full season.

At long last, and for the first time in ages, there's more positivity sprinkled around, and as such, the first game of this season certainly feels a lot less doom-laden than the last first game of last season.

Lastly, I think Varane will get his first taste of the Championship in his first start, nabbing his first goal, and his first MOM award, in this his first game in England.

Long may it last.

1-1
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 13:24 - Aug 11 with 1628 viewsSK_hoops

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 13:03 - Aug 11 by Northolt_Rs

West Brom definitely targeted Paal in the second half. Everything came down that side including the two goals.

I remember when we signed someone made a joke that players will pass the Dutchie on the left hand side, well the joke is becoming all too real sadly.
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 13:55 - Aug 11 with 1491 viewsdavman

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 23:34 - Aug 10 by rbee

Sorry, I can't agree with much of this, it is over the top analysis. I would not blame him for any of the goals. The second he tried to win the ball and with the third who knows what passage of play developed to find Lloyd and Paal in the positions that they were in.

Some fans always need a scapegoat. I don't buy the going through the motions either.

Since his signing Paal has been good for us but his recent dip in form and confidence is plain to see. As Lblock said in the Paal thread we don't know what is going on his life and that of his family.

The bottom line is that if he is not happy, if he doesn't like our new contract offer then like Armstrong and Willock we move on. The club will be well aware of any issues and will have plans in place to hopefully resolve this before the transfer window closes. I would not be surprised to see him go out on loan to a Dutch club.

You might have a point on the third (although I wouldn't agree), but the second goal was 100% down to Paal. A full back's bread and butter one on one with a winger.

Just. Stop. The. Cross. That is it. His attempted "tackle" was utterly pathetic; he might as well have been off the pitch.

Apart from those goals under Ainsworth, he's done nothing.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 14:09 - Aug 11 with 1445 viewsjohnhoop

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 21:53 - Aug 10 by Lblock

Next game a must win?

Nah, that’ll be the Plymouth game.
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 14:20 - Aug 11 with 1425 viewsSpaceman_P

Are we at the point where we can actually consider Chair to be a club legend?? I think this season may depend on him, he's the nucleus it seems.
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 14:27 - Aug 11 with 1410 viewsmart_Goblin

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 23:34 - Aug 10 by rbee

Sorry, I can't agree with much of this, it is over the top analysis. I would not blame him for any of the goals. The second he tried to win the ball and with the third who knows what passage of play developed to find Lloyd and Paal in the positions that they were in.

Some fans always need a scapegoat. I don't buy the going through the motions either.

Since his signing Paal has been good for us but his recent dip in form and confidence is plain to see. As Lblock said in the Paal thread we don't know what is going on his life and that of his family.

The bottom line is that if he is not happy, if he doesn't like our new contract offer then like Armstrong and Willock we move on. The club will be well aware of any issues and will have plans in place to hopefully resolve this before the transfer window closes. I would not be surprised to see him go out on loan to a Dutch club.

Respectfully disagree rbee.

I just can’t have the “who knows what passage of play developed to find Lloyd and Paal in the positions they were in”
We do know don’t we .
It was a West Brom throw that they weren’t in any particular hurry to take . And Paal dropped away into the box for what reason only he knows and let Alfie Lloyd try and deal with it on his own.
Lloyd dealt with it poorly but MC in his interview alluded to “allowing an 2 v 1 at a throw be an goal” and going apoplectic on the side line was furious with Paal for simply going awol.
The second is utterly half arsed defending and even when he got easily beaten , he gave up on trying to stop the cross.

I don’t agree with digging people out for no reason and going overboard on players when it’s not required like the Celar/ Kolli thread on this site which has all the hallmarks of a frustrated Fifa generation spoilt child who can’t just buy Haaland or press reset .

But Paal has been poor for quite a while with the odd good game here and there and other teams have noticed . Fans can criticise what they are paying to see when needed .
Respectfully again because of course it’s your opinion , but it sounds like excuses like others had for Dykes and Begovic last season where they simply didn’t like ‘their man’ being criticised.
Unfortunately it’s part of being a footballer .
Abuse absolutely not. But criticism is part of the job.
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 15:20 - Aug 11 with 1264 viewsrbee

Sorry Matt, I did not remember the throw in. But I would suggest that Paal dropping away in to the box is a well drilled rehearsed tactical setup. If you look at WBA's first goal it was Smythe tracking their player and if you look at our other full back, Jimmy Dunne, he is in exactly the same position as Paal is for their third. Could be a coincidence but it is this sort of positional play that is rehearsed in training time after time.

At least Paal tried to get the ball for their second, Smythe made no attempt to stop the cross for their first.

As I said Paal is in bad form at the moment but people seem to be digging him out for everything which isn’t fair.
[Post edited 11 Aug 15:23]
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 15:28 - Aug 11 with 1230 viewsrbee

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 13:03 - Aug 11 by Northolt_Rs

West Brom definitely targeted Paal in the second half. Everything came down that side including the two goals.

So they weren't targeting Paal/Kolli, or later Paal/Lloyd, just Paal?
[Post edited 11 Aug 19:20]
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 16:59 - Aug 11 with 1056 viewsmart_Goblin

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 15:20 - Aug 11 by rbee

Sorry Matt, I did not remember the throw in. But I would suggest that Paal dropping away in to the box is a well drilled rehearsed tactical setup. If you look at WBA's first goal it was Smythe tracking their player and if you look at our other full back, Jimmy Dunne, he is in exactly the same position as Paal is for their third. Could be a coincidence but it is this sort of positional play that is rehearsed in training time after time.

At least Paal tried to get the ball for their second, Smythe made no attempt to stop the cross for their first.

As I said Paal is in bad form at the moment but people seem to be digging him out for everything which isn’t fair.

Yep take your points . Dont agree but understand where you are coming from
Login to get fewer ads

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 17:09 - Aug 11 with 1017 viewsdavman

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 15:20 - Aug 11 by rbee

Sorry, matey, but really don't get the Smythe v Paal comparison there. Both were at fault for letting their man get the cross over, but Smyth did challenge, but was a little late getting there, Paal just wafted a pathetic leg up in the general direction of their winger.

I get where you are coming from on the third goal and good insight to compare Dunne's position for the first. If that is the case, it shows how much of a problem we have with Kolli and Lloyd in that position; if we're relying on them to defend, then we are well and truly f**ked.

Paal should be one of our senior pros, so I expect more of him. If that is "digging him out" sorry, just saying what I see as Roy Walker would have said...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 17:18 - Aug 11 with 972 viewsmart_Goblin

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 17:09 - Aug 11 by davman

Sorry, matey, but really don't get the Smythe v Paal comparison there. Both were at fault for letting their man get the cross over, but Smyth did challenge, but was a little late getting there, Paal just wafted a pathetic leg up in the general direction of their winger.

I get where you are coming from on the third goal and good insight to compare Dunne's position for the first. If that is the case, it shows how much of a problem we have with Kolli and Lloyd in that position; if we're relying on them to defend, then we are well and truly f**ked.

Paal should be one of our senior pros, so I expect more of him. If that is "digging him out" sorry, just saying what I see as Roy Walker would have said...

Yeah kind’ve touches on the wider point that Paal being a senior player should be bossing shouting demanding where Lloyd should be and he left him to it.
2nd goal stinks of a player dialling it in. We’ve seen it before fairly recently and Paal yesterday , for me , was that in everything he did .
I don’t thinks that’s unfair. Just what my eyes tell me .
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 18:44 - Aug 11 with 827 viewsrbee

This is modern football isn't it. Full backs have to carry an attacking threat and wingers/wide players have to defend. Managers keep saying, we defend from the front.

If you were WBA which side of the QPR team would you plan to attack?

The right side with the Pacy Experienced Player and Tall Experienced Player or the left side with the Experienced Player and Inexperienced Player? I really do think WBA had Kolli in mind more than Paal.

As for Paal being more vocal, bossing and demanding I agree but that isn't his personality is it. No doubt he would have been talking to Kolli and Lloyd throughout the game but it would not be as noticeable as when Colback was coaching Kolli which was very noticeable in the first half!!

In a perfect world both Smythe and Paal would have stopped those crosses from coming in but they didn't so yes both were at fault but in my opinion all of our goals conceded had more to do with our poor defending in the penalty area rather than stopping crosses coming, you are never going to stop crosses coming in 100% of the time.

Looking at our defending a little closer, Dunne and Paal in almost identical positions with the first and third goals, they are kind of in no mans land, unable to affect the play. Then look at the position of our back four when the cross comes in for the first WBA goal. I am no expert but I am seeing zonal defending here rather than man marking. As we know Marti has previous for this when defending corners but it would explain how easily Maja found space between Cook and JCS.
[Post edited 11 Aug 19:22]
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 18:48 - Aug 11 with 812 viewsmart_Goblin

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 18:44 - Aug 11 by rbee

This is modern football isn't it. Full backs have to carry an attacking threat and wingers/wide players have to defend. Managers keep saying, we defend from the front.

If you were WBA which side of the QPR team would you plan to attack?

The right side with the Pacy Experienced Player and Tall Experienced Player or the left side with the Experienced Player and Inexperienced Player? I really do think WBA had Kolli in mind more than Paal.

As for Paal being more vocal, bossing and demanding I agree but that isn't his personality is it. No doubt he would have been talking to Kolli and Lloyd throughout the game but it would not be as noticeable as when Colback was coaching Kolli which was very noticeable in the first half!!

In a perfect world both Smythe and Paal would have stopped those crosses from coming in but they didn't so yes both were at fault but in my opinion all of our goals conceded had more to do with our poor defending in the penalty area rather than stopping crosses coming, you are never going to stop crosses coming in 100% of the time.

Looking at our defending a little closer, Dunne and Paal in almost identical positions with the first and third goals, they are kind of in no mans land, unable to affect the play. Then look at the position of our back four when the cross comes in for the first WBA goal. I am no expert but I am seeing zonal defending here rather than man marking. As we know Marti has previous for this when defending corners but it would explain how easily Maja found space between Cook and JCS.
[Post edited 11 Aug 19:22]

I do agree that all back 4 were awful inside the box defending crosses yesterday .
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 20:14 - Aug 11 with 654 viewsLoft1979

I am in agreement with this point of view. Both flanks were exposed but Smyth is deployed out of his strength. The back four were not afforded enough cover. The ‘6’ position has been often singled out last year and in preseason and hopefully Varane can be that solution. Without singling out Paal, I thought WB were able to get through the middle 3rd to easily.
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 21:44 - Aug 11 with 536 viewsDorse

My take on yesterday's game, on reflection, is that we got exposed in the wider channels too often. It was something we saw a lot last year: inside out balls / 'diags' from the base of the oppo midfield through to the inside left / right channel, targeting space between our full backs (caught slightly upfield) and our CBs. Dunne on the right, started further back and wasn't exposed quite as much, but our left had too many gaps with no cover from midfield, if Paal went high. Hayden managed to dig us out last season but there just wasn't the cover yesterday .

I was cheesed off with the performance but, sadly, it wasn't anything we haven't seen before. Kolli is copping it for not being a great defender, which is true, but it feels a bit much to rinse this lad out when we can see other factors at play. I don't think either Paal or Kolli are shite - but I don't think we'll see that combination again any time soon. Feels to me like WBA got their game right and we didn’t rather than 'Kolli / Paal are shit'.

I was probably more annoyed by the stream and comms. We will improve and it sounds like reinforcements are incoming.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024