Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Migrant/Refugee crisis 11:04 - Sep 4 with 62658 viewsDeano19766

Just a thought on this subject which is all over the news saying we are a disgrace and should do more to help -

Oxford English Dictionary definition of Refugee - "A person who has been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution, or natural disaster". So when a person flees their country for those reasons they are a refugee (and that is of course a terrible thing to happen to anyone and is yet another sad fact about humanity as a species). However, it could (and should) then be implied that once a 'refugee' passes through a 'safe' country then (s)he is no longer a refugee but a migrant, and most likely a migrant for economic reasons. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but all this rhetoric about taking in 'refugees' is completely misguided or a (deliberate?) misinterpretation of the facts IMO. If people wish to show their support for accommodating these people then that is of course their prerogative, but they should at least be clear that that they support accommodating 'economic migrants' as opposed to 'refugees' (although that would be far less sensationalist and may not suit their agenda).
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 13:11 - Sep 8 with 2792 viewsBrightonhoop

The UN has warned we are now just days away from a Bono charity song.....

On a serious note, I'm an immigrant to Spain. And racism against the English here is rife, amongst a rural population, so the Brits stick together mostly.

In the 70's my Dads church helped house two Vietnamese Boat families near Uxbridge, remember it clear as day. There was a lot of local hostility to them, so I imagine tensions in the UK now are very high. So i still think we should help genuine Refugees, but numbers need to be managed, and you can guarantee Isis trained terrorists will be amongst those coming into Europe now.

The main problem is the EU cannot force member states like Hungary and Poland to take a quota of Refugees. And with the EU in/out vote looming on the horizon, there will be potentially millions of Brit ex-pats reluctantly heading back to the UK, with no right to remain in Spain, France, Italy etc. How the UK will cope, given many are retired pensioners, with around 5 million ex-pats turning up I do not know.
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 13:34 - Sep 8 with 2770 viewsqprphil

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 13:11 - Sep 8 by Brightonhoop

On a serious note, I'm an immigrant to Spain. And racism against the English here is rife, amongst a rural population, so the Brits stick together mostly.

In the 70's my Dads church helped house two Vietnamese Boat families near Uxbridge, remember it clear as day. There was a lot of local hostility to them, so I imagine tensions in the UK now are very high. So i still think we should help genuine Refugees, but numbers need to be managed, and you can guarantee Isis trained terrorists will be amongst those coming into Europe now.

The main problem is the EU cannot force member states like Hungary and Poland to take a quota of Refugees. And with the EU in/out vote looming on the horizon, there will be potentially millions of Brit ex-pats reluctantly heading back to the UK, with no right to remain in Spain, France, Italy etc. How the UK will cope, given many are retired pensioners, with around 5 million ex-pats turning up I do not know.

I know a few people who have gone to live abroad, Spain etc, I cant say that all people that move abroad are all the same, but the ones I know buy there house and pay there dues. If they were forced back, then no doubt they would be in a position to buy another home and contribute to society here. Many have left because of the state of the country. What we get coming here is a 50-50 split, workers and scroungers, its bad enough to pay for English scroungers and people who think we should pay for them to drink, take drugs, smoke etc all at the expense of the workers. No I am not a racist, I have black friends, and one of my sons is married to a Muslim, they all see massive trouble looming. As for MPs, would they say the same if they had immigrant families living next door to them. It will never happen to them as they will be nicely tucked up in there detached houses in the country, they never tell the truth, they only say what they think is the right thing to say, to get votes.!!!!!
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 14:20 - Sep 8 with 2715 viewsbatmanhoop

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 11:51 - Sep 8 by paulparker

In the words of Dylan P , Stop it

your talking to much sense qprphil, give it a couple of posts and the usual suspects will be calling you a daily mail reader, a racist, out of touch old timer etc

for what its worth i totally agree with your post , i had a flat in Perivale up until 2000 and Alperton, West ealing, Wembley were already showing signs of massive decline
best thing i ever did was sell it and move to the country , i hate going back rouund that way now its the pits and only going to keep on declining

your story mirrors hundreds of thousands or more probably millions of white flight Londoners. In the 60's early 70's, Perivale, Greenford, Wembley and Northolt were places you aspired to move to. When they started building housing estates all over the shop a trickle became a flood. Those moving out and those coming in. This might not sit pretty with the lefts views, but you only have to look what London has become to see why people felt the need to leave. I left in 2008
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 14:25 - Sep 8 with 2710 viewsbatmanhoop

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 13:11 - Sep 8 by Brightonhoop

why would ex-pats be forced to leave? If we make the decision to leave the EU no one will be forced/repatriated from this country. Scaremongering by the pro-Euro lobby
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 14:54 - Sep 8 with 2673 viewsGloucs_R

Maybe Gaddafi had a point...

“We will have 50 million Muslims in Europe,” Gadhafi said. “There are signs that Allah will grant Islam victory in Europe — without swords, without guns, without conquests. The 50 million Muslims of Europe will turn it into a Muslim continent within a few decades.”

Poll: Are we staying up?

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 15:28 - Sep 8 with 2630 viewsHayesender

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 14:20 - Sep 8 by batmanhoop

your story mirrors hundreds of thousands or more probably millions of white flight Londoners. In the 60's early 70's, Perivale, Greenford, Wembley and Northolt were places you aspired to move to. When they started building housing estates all over the shop a trickle became a flood. Those moving out and those coming in. This might not sit pretty with the lefts views, but you only have to look what London has become to see why people felt the need to leave. I left in 2008

I don't actually like the term "white flight" purley because it makes it sound like I and many others don't wanna live amongst people of a different colour.

I have a mixed race grandaughter whom I dote on, but I'll be moving out of London within the next three years because A, I can get a damn sight more for my money by moving 60/70 miles away, and B, I can see what's gonna happen in London with this clash of cultures within the next few years.

East London is gone, North, South and West will soon follow

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 15:47 - Sep 8 with 2601 viewsWilloW4

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 15:28 - Sep 8 by Hayesender

I don't actually like the term "white flight" purley because it makes it sound like I and many others don't wanna live amongst people of a different colour.

I have a mixed race grandaughter whom I dote on, but I'll be moving out of London within the next three years because A, I can get a damn sight more for my money by moving 60/70 miles away, and B, I can see what's gonna happen in London with this clash of cultures within the next few years.

100% agree...I've hit 50 now and intend to leave London in the next 2 years.. It's a sad state of affairs that born n bred Londoners are leaving/ or want to leave. I was in New York last year and over a few beers spoke to many folks from all over the world but they all embraced that they wanted to be New Yorkers... Doesn't seem the case in London... Just stick to your own, don't mingle.. When I'm Rome n all that... As I say to people who knock Londoners.. Many of them aren't Londoners , they're London based.
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 15:51 - Sep 8 with 2590 viewsBrightonhoop

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 14:25 - Sep 8 by batmanhoop

why would ex-pats be forced to leave? If we make the decision to leave the EU no one will be forced/repatriated from this country. Scaremongering by the pro-Euro lobby

Totally anti EU so no idea where that came from....

Outside the EU Brits would have no right to remain in Spain, France or anywhere else, it is one question nobody can or will answer. Property values in Spain are far lower than UK so the idea of people simply buying back into the UK property market is not going to happen, unless they have kept a UK property.

It makes the future very uncertain. If the EU is to survive at all it will have to reform massively, by devolving powers back to member states. Which should never have happened in the first place.
Login to get fewer ads

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 16:07 - Sep 8 with 2560 viewspaulparker

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 14:20 - Sep 8 by batmanhoop

yep totally agree Batmanhoop such a shame
Some parts of London were always rough and had their share of lowlifes but compared to today some of these London boroughs resemble 3rd world countries
i fail to see how this has become a good thing

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 16:09 - Sep 8 with 2556 viewsbatmanhoop

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 15:51 - Sep 8 by Brightonhoop

Totally anti EU so no idea where that came from....

Outside the EU Brits would have no right to remain in Spain, France or anywhere else, it is one question nobody can or will answer. Property values in Spain are far lower than UK so the idea of people simply buying back into the UK property market is not going to happen, unless they have kept a UK property.

It makes the future very uncertain. If the EU is to survive at all it will have to reform massively, by devolving powers back to member states. Which should never have happened in the first place.

there is no way ex-pats will be kicked out of Spain, France, Portugal, Timbuktoo wherever. Because there be a damned sight more going the other way. It won't happen
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 16:12 - Sep 8 with 2549 viewsbatmanhoop

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 15:28 - Sep 8 by Hayesender

I appreciate what your saying, but it is predominately whites that have left London. In the end it wasn't my black or asian neighbours that made my decision to leave. It was the white eastern europeans, 15 to a house, that done it for me
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 16:23 - Sep 8 with 2523 views2Thomas2Bowles

In Parliament...Yvette Cooper said she would have taken in 10,000 people immediately.
[Post edited 8 Sep 2015 16:25]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 17:16 - Sep 8 with 2450 views2Thomas2Bowles

The EU is due to unveil proposals on Wednesday to distribute 160,000 refugees among member states on a mandatory basis.

So now the EU is going to force us to take more.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 19:38 - Sep 8 with 2350 viewsHollowayRanger

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 17:16 - Sep 8 by 2Thomas2Bowles

The EU is due to unveil proposals on Wednesday to distribute 160,000 refugees among member states on a mandatory basis.

we shouldnt be forced to take a single one in until we have had our vote

vote to stay in and become a full member of a European union of countries where we have to accept the majority votes of our fellow European leaders

or vote to get out and be an individual nation making our own decisions but with a real danger of Germany france ect trying to ruin us

as for living in London im born and breed here might well die here as well but if I make 60 im getting right on out of here as I don't want to be the so called ethnic minority in my own city

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 19:58 - Sep 8 with 3307 viewsMaggsinho

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 17:16 - Sep 8 by 2Thomas2Bowles

The UK has an opt out of agreements such as that though so won't take their share.
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 20:11 - Sep 8 with 3277 viewsHadders

I accept that people feel differently and it is interesting to read different points of view. I am sympathetic to elderly people who find their old community has disappeared. Yet London is a world city and some of us love it that way - whenever I return to London, either from the UK or abroad, it is the extraordinary mix of faces on the tube that makes me feel at home. I am British and white, but my wife is from Japan and I have friends from all over the shop. I work in Bethnal Green with loads of Bangladeshi-origin Muslims and the atmosphere is brilliant. When people feel alienated by foreigners, I`d suggest it is usually because they haven`t tried talking. Invite your Pakistani neighbours in for tea and cake (or down the R`s) and you might find they`re not so horrible. Obviously some immigrants are unfriendly or worse, especially young men in packs, but then, so are some born and bred Brits.
[Post edited 8 Sep 2015 20:37]
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 20:30 - Sep 8 with 3233 views1BobbyHazell

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 19:38 - Sep 8 by HollowayRanger

we shouldnt be forced to take a single one in until we have had our vote

vote to stay in and become a full member of a European union of countries where we have to accept the majority votes of our fellow European leaders

or vote to get out and be an individual nation making our own decisions but with a real danger of Germany france ect trying to ruin us

as for living in London im born and breed here might well die here as well but if I make 60 im getting right on out of here as I don't want to be the so called ethnic minority in my own city

Don't panic mate, I'm London born and bred as well and I've been an ethnic minority in my own city all my life. And look how well I turned out, I'm f**king aces!

Love, naturally, is the key.
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 20:36 - Sep 8 with 3217 viewsWilloW4

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 20:30 - Sep 8 by 1BobbyHazell

Don't panic mate, I'm London born and bred as well and I've been an ethnic minority in my own city all my life. And look how well I turned out, I'm f**king aces!

Love, naturally, is the key.

As a born n bred and buttered Londoner.. I too,have turned out' 'fxxcking aces'... 👍.. Come on you R's.!!!!!
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 20:42 - Sep 8 with 3194 viewsHayesender

As a born and bred londoner, I've turned out to be a bit of a cnt 👍👅❤

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 20:53 - Sep 8 with 3167 viewsHollowayRanger

Migrant crisis: Why the Gulf states are not letting Syrians in

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-34173139

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 22:31 - Sep 8 with 3043 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 20:11 - Sep 8 by Hadders

I accept that people feel differently and it is interesting to read different points of view. I am sympathetic to elderly people who find their old community has disappeared. Yet London is a world city and some of us love it that way - whenever I return to London, either from the UK or abroad, it is the extraordinary mix of faces on the tube that makes me feel at home. I am British and white, but my wife is from Japan and I have friends from all over the shop. I work in Bethnal Green with loads of Bangladeshi-origin Muslims and the atmosphere is brilliant. When people feel alienated by foreigners, I`d suggest it is usually because they haven`t tried talking. Invite your Pakistani neighbours in for tea and cake (or down the R`s) and you might find they`re not so horrible. Obviously some immigrants are unfriendly or worse, especially young men in packs, but then, so are some born and bred Brits.
[Post edited 8 Sep 2015 20:37]

The last Pakistani I saw down the R's smashed three fvcks out of Lee Cook's leg.
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 22:58 - Sep 8 with 3009 viewsWilloW4

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 22:31 - Sep 8 by BazzaInTheLoft

The last Pakistani I saw down the R's smashed three fvcks out of Lee Cook's leg.

Does that make you a Racist/Facist/ and or Nazi...? The last oh, forget it...!
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 12:53 - Sep 9 with 2817 viewsjamois

We're all migrants, but it seems cut off times are arbitrary. Much like national borders as it happens. Nationalism, another word for ignorance.

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 12:59 - Sep 9 with 2805 viewsFDC

Nationalism: an excuse to take pride in things you didn't do and dislike people you haven't met.
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 13:49 - Sep 9 with 2743 viewsCHUBBS

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 12:59 - Sep 9 by FDC

Nationalism: an excuse to take pride in things you didn't do and dislike people you haven't met.

And there I was thinking the proud Nigerian family who I deemed very close friends liked me.
Racist bastards after all.....damn
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024