Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Migrant/Refugee crisis 11:04 - Sep 4 with 60441 viewsDeano19766

Just a thought on this subject which is all over the news saying we are a disgrace and should do more to help -

Oxford English Dictionary definition of Refugee - "A person who has been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution, or natural disaster". So when a person flees their country for those reasons they are a refugee (and that is of course a terrible thing to happen to anyone and is yet another sad fact about humanity as a species). However, it could (and should) then be implied that once a 'refugee' passes through a 'safe' country then (s)he is no longer a refugee but a migrant, and most likely a migrant for economic reasons. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but all this rhetoric about taking in 'refugees' is completely misguided or a (deliberate?) misinterpretation of the facts IMO. If people wish to show their support for accommodating these people then that is of course their prerogative, but they should at least be clear that that they support accommodating 'economic migrants' as opposed to 'refugees' (although that would be far less sensationalist and may not suit their agenda).
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 03:18 - Sep 7 with 3085 viewsFDC

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 17:46 - Sep 4 by Hayesender

And meanwhile the rich Arab nations let in the grand total of zero refugees

I find it amazing that stuff like this gets posted, and not even challenged.

Lebanon has taken in over a million Syrian refugees. That means approximately 20% of the population there now is a refugee.

The UK has taken approximately 180 in the past 12 months.
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 07:24 - Sep 7 with 3016 viewsjohnhoop

Well if nothing else this thread should lay to rest once and for all the myth trotted out by Hadders and endorsed by others on page 6 of this thread that it is populated by an overwhelming number of right-wing posters.
Up to this point in the thread there are 25 posters who have adopted an anti-immigration stance as opposed to 27 who are definitely in favour of it. Another 11 have sat on the fence or just been flippant. Thus far, therefore the numbers are practically even.
Personally I just find it unfortunate that anyone who has the temerity to express concern about the effects that mass immigration is likely to have on this country should be immediately categorized as Fascist, racist etc. But then these are the tactics that the Left has been using to put a stop to any debate for the last 20 years, so I can hardly say I'm surprised.
Migrant/Refugee crisis (n/t) on 07:37 - Sep 7 with 2984 views2Thomas2Bowles

Migrant/Refugee crisis (n/t) on 00:53 - Sep 7 by kensalriser

Bang out of order putting that on here.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2015 1:00]

Can't agree with you there, which does not mean I agree with that view or would sign it but everyone has their right to an opinion.

Edit, even if they are an idiot........below
[Post edited 7 Sep 2015 7:48]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 07:47 - Sep 7 with 2944 viewsDiscodroids

T.Fernandes@tweet 6th sept 9.59 pm

Migrants Keep the Faith.So much Empathy . Listening Now to Paul Mcartney & Stevie Wonder In my Penthouse .Free Nobbys Nuts for all at my distribution Hub, The springbok Pub
.#SidebySideonmyPiano

The BBC now completely unshackled and Discarding any semblance of impartiality. Their reporters on Radio 5 live now wishing migrants"much love and all the luck in the world" to get to their destination.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2015 8:28]

".... You are the... Duke of New York... You're A-Number One!".

Migrant/Refugee crisis (n/t) on 07:47 - Sep 7 with 2945 viewseasthertsr

Surely all our foreign players are economic migrants? Yeah lets send Chery back and give another chance to home-grown talent like SWP. You know it makes sense!
Migrant/Refugee crisis (n/t) on 08:08 - Sep 7 with 2896 viewsconnell10

Ive read some shite on here but that takes the biscuit.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 08:31 - Sep 7 with 2863 viewsstowmarketrange

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 07:24 - Sep 7 by johnhoop

Well if nothing else this thread should lay to rest once and for all the myth trotted out by Hadders and endorsed by others on page 6 of this thread that it is populated by an overwhelming number of right-wing posters.
Up to this point in the thread there are 25 posters who have adopted an anti-immigration stance as opposed to 27 who are definitely in favour of it. Another 11 have sat on the fence or just been flippant. Thus far, therefore the numbers are practically even.
Personally I just find it unfortunate that anyone who has the temerity to express concern about the effects that mass immigration is likely to have on this country should be immediately categorized as Fascist, racist etc. But then these are the tactics that the Left has been using to put a stop to any debate for the last 20 years, so I can hardly say I'm surprised.

The right wing Tories really seem to got mass immigration under control haven't they?
And the net migration rate is down to the tens of thousands isn't it?
Oh no it isn't.We seem to have the biggest net migration rate in our history.
Another failed Tory policy to go with all the other lies they've told.
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 08:44 - Sep 7 with 2833 viewsjohnhoop

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 08:31 - Sep 7 by stowmarketrange

The right wing Tories really seem to got mass immigration under control haven't they?

The Tories will come out with a lot of hot air about controlling immigration but they will never seriously attempt to do anything about it because their mates in big business don't want the flow of cheap labour to come to an end.
Login to get fewer ads

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 08:44 - Sep 7 with 2830 viewsDiscodroids

This petition Going around Asking for Signatures for The UK to accept more migrants that has reached in excess of 400,000 signatures. I can understand the good Intentions of people who sign it, but i havent met a single person who has signed it in my neck of the woods.Of course its quite different in other parts of london/ the country which i understand.

to sign this petition, You only have to tick a box to STATE youre a british citizen and an e mail address , the veracity of it concerns me. What to stop this petition doing the rounds across europe to peoples mobile phones?.

Its as confusing to me as the government stating that 53,00 from Romania and Bulgaria came to the UK last year when 220,000 National insurance numbers were handed out to the same demographic in the same Calendar period.

in any case it would be interesting to see how many of these 400,ooo people who have signed this petition are prepared to accept them in their own homes , perhaps using their omnipotent power of righteousness as Virtual Matrix style jcb diggers for new homes.

as a side note this Country has contributed one thousand million pounds to the refugee centers , more than the rest of the EU put together.

for shame.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2015 9:32]

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 08:45 - Sep 7 with 2824 viewsbatmanhoop

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 08:31 - Sep 7 by stowmarketrange

it's called the EU. While we are in it, there is nothing we can do about it. That is the fault of all parties as all 3 are pro-EU
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 09:01 - Sep 7 with 2852 viewsstowmarketrange

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 08:45 - Sep 7 by batmanhoop

it's called the EU. While we are in it, there is nothing we can do about it. That is the fault of all parties as all 3 are pro-EU

Is it also the EU that has caused our national debt to increase,despite the crooks squeezing every last pound they can out of everybody?
Is the EU that has caused such a crisis in the NHS?

Is it the EU that has allowed the richest people in the country to increase their fortunes,while the rest of us are all in it together?

Is it the EU that is making the sick and disabled kill themselves rather than be forced to take a zero hours job that they won't be able to do in the first place?
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 09:11 - Sep 7 with 2807 views2Thomas2Bowles

I wonder what the demographic is on voting in the two petition which I think stands at around 80K against and 500k for.

In terms of age, race, class, area.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 09:37 - Sep 7 with 2739 viewsbatmanhoop

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 09:01 - Sep 7 by stowmarketrange

Is it also the EU that has caused our national debt to increase,despite the crooks squeezing every last pound they can out of everybody?
Is the EU that has caused such a crisis in the NHS?

Is it the EU that has allowed the richest people in the country to increase their fortunes,while the rest of us are all in it together?

Is it the EU that is making the sick and disabled kill themselves rather than be forced to take a zero hours job that they won't be able to do in the first place?

you may have a point fella, but I was addressing the fact while we are in the EU there is diddly we can do with immigration
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 10:07 - Sep 7 with 2644 viewsstowmarketrange

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 09:37 - Sep 7 by batmanhoop

you may have a point fella, but I was addressing the fact while we are in the EU there is diddly we can do with immigration

Sorry mate.I wasn't having a go at you personally.I've been dipping into this thread occasionally and I lose track who says what about what.
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 10:59 - Sep 7 with 2549 viewsbatmanhoop

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 10:07 - Sep 7 by stowmarketrange

Sorry mate.I wasn't having a go at you personally.I've been dipping into this thread occasionally and I lose track who says what about what.

no need to apologize mate, we all have different opinions
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 10:59 - Sep 7 with 2546 viewsNW5Hoop

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 23:11 - Sep 6 by HollowayRanger

my mums a immigrant

whoops

as for not agreeing with just taking off those that have money how would you do that ? royal familys got a load of money so do we kick tham out? could put a couple of hundred migrants in the palace and another 500 in winsor castle that's not a bad start just another 14,300 beds to find

I got a £500,000 flat should I lose that? I worked and helped paid for it

lets just agree to disagree you want to open the doors to those that want to come here and wish to take from the rich to pay for it

I don't I want us to put our own people first second and third

somehow I think we will both end up losing

Royal family? German economic migrants.
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 11:48 - Sep 7 with 2665 viewsSpiritofGregory

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 11:50 - Sep 4 by Konk

Hungary currently rejects 90%+ of Asylum applications, so after spending several weeks/months in a camp, after risking life and limb and spending all your savings to get to Europe, you have a high chance of being sent back to Syria. If Germany, Austria and Sweden are willing to accommodate refugees, then surely it's common sense and human nature to try and get there rather than risk rejection or be settled in a country where the government has made it clear you're not welcome? And aside from where the refugees wish to go, isn't it unfair that Greece, Italy and countries in Eastern Europe shoulder the burden alone? This is a massively complicated tragedy, but with our role in destabilising the region, we surely have some responsibility. These are human beings - if the boot was on the other foot, I hope that people elsewhere would be willing to come to the aid of me and my family.

They wouldn't help, look at the rich Gulf States not even helping Arabs. The majority are young men and most of them are not from Syria.
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 11:51 - Sep 7 with 2657 viewsstevec

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 07:24 - Sep 7 by johnhoop

No point arguing about immigration now, Governments, the media, the left have all decided their message will be shouted loud and clear and to hell with the man in the street.

But we have one, and only one, opportunity to attempt to put this right. Keep your heads down, ignore the left, ignore the politicians, ignore the media frenzy, ignore big business and the level of scaremongering that will be bestowed upon us, don't rise to the bait, don't say a thing.

Just vote to leave the EU.
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 11:54 - Sep 7 with 2636 viewsSpiritofGregory

Taking lots of people in is not the solution this will only cause future problems, addressing the reasons for the exodus is. The German people who the media choose to ignore are furious with Merkel.
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 12:05 - Sep 7 with 2601 viewspaulparker

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 11:51 - Sep 7 by stevec

No point arguing about immigration now, Governments, the media, the left have all decided their message will be shouted loud and clear and to hell with the man in the street.

But we have one, and only one, opportunity to attempt to put this right. Keep your heads down, ignore the left, ignore the politicians, ignore the media frenzy, ignore big business and the level of scaremongering that will be bestowed upon us, don't rise to the bait, don't say a thing.

Good Post Steve

no point worrying about it anymore , this country is fcuked successive government's have seen to that , we cant even sort out our own people on housing , hospital waiting lists , and schools but yet we are still letting people through,
problem is us plebs don't get the chance to vote on a referendum until 2017
by that stage it will be all to late and even then it will be fixed

id say the best thing is to retire abroad like spain or Cyprus, like me & the missus have planned on , problem is we still have another 20 years to go

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 12:10 - Sep 7 with 2587 viewsAntti_Heinola

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 11:51 - Sep 7 by stevec

I'm the man in the street. I disagree with you. You're not being ignored. At least four national newspapers have been loudly agreeing with your viewpoint for ages, so don't try to claim the media are ignoring you either. Stop playing the 'no one listens to us' card. The last election was largely about attracting 'your' vote - the winning party even moved right to accommodate you because it was so scared of how many people would vote UKIP.

You're dead right though - just use your vote at the referendum. That's what it's for. That's how you get heard.

Bare bones.

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 12:25 - Sep 7 with 2558 viewsDiscodroids

on 01:00 - Jan 1 by

If there is one Sage Lesson ive learnt Clive , in this crazy bItch of a scene , its That people are people and why should it be ,that the left and the right should get along so awfully.we're different colours,And we're different creeds, And different people have different needs.

I think Theres a lesson for us all in there somewhere,
#SongForEmmaThompson
#PeopleArePeople

it can only be a matter of hours before an Accepting a refugee into your home seems to be the next ice bucket challenge sweeping social media

Oh no ! Bono has stepped into the breech once more!!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/11848179/Bono-We-should-not-use

[Post edited 7 Sep 2015 12:34]

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 12:35 - Sep 7 with 2525 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

If this thread was a film, it would be Groundhog Day.
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 13:27 - Sep 7 with 2435 viewsDiscodroids

Well, its certainly difficult to get the BALANCE RIGHT on this subject and it will be great again to SEE YOU all at the Blackburn Game. Hope in LFW Land you are enjoying your NEW LIFE. Shame i had to LEAVE IN SILENCE a Few weeks ago after the charlton match thread.

When I met the LFW message board I discovered the MEANING OF LOVE again, ITS CALLED A HEART. Funny thing message boards ,it can be a STRANGE LOVE and if someone gets the upper hand the resulting MASTER AND SERVANT relationship that can develop is like looking down THE BARREL OF A GUN . I still will not accept the BLASPHEMOUS RUMOUR that Karl Henry is a professional footballer.

ITS NO GOOD To be honest and that’s ONLY WHEN I LOSE MYSELF and am feeling USELESS. Still enough of the self- CONDEMNATION and i await a quote from Voltaire to quell my fears om migration into the east end.

until then I shall ENJOY THE SILENCE .

[Post edited 7 Sep 2015 13:30]

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 13:28 - Sep 7 with 2432 viewsStanisgod

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 08:44 - Sep 7 by Discodroids

This petition Going around Asking for Signatures for The UK to accept more migrants that has reached in excess of 400,000 signatures. I can understand the good Intentions of people who sign it, but i havent met a single person who has signed it in my neck of the woods.Of course its quite different in other parts of london/ the country which i understand.

to sign this petition, You only have to tick a box to STATE youre a british citizen and an e mail address , the veracity of it concerns me. What to stop this petition doing the rounds across europe to peoples mobile phones?.

Its as confusing to me as the government stating that 53,00 from Romania and Bulgaria came to the UK last year when 220,000 National insurance numbers were handed out to the same demographic in the same Calendar period.

in any case it would be interesting to see how many of these 400,ooo people who have signed this petition are prepared to accept them in their own homes , perhaps using their omnipotent power of righteousness as Virtual Matrix style jcb diggers for new homes.

as a side note this Country has contributed one thousand million pounds to the refugee centers , more than the rest of the EU put together.

for shame.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2015 9:32]

I wonder how many of these 400,000 signatories are on the Tower Hamlets waiting list, currently at 22,000 !! It's all very well Cammie saying he's going to give money to councils to house them, but first you need an empty houses/flats to put them in.
Hotels, B & b's and private landlords must be rubbing there hands.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024