Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fernandes on London Calling 19:49 - Jan 23 with 13419 viewsqueensparker

Came across brilliantly I thought. We're lucky to have him:

Starts around the 35.00 mark:

Fernandes on London Calling on 13:46 - Jan 25 with 1590 viewsAntti_Heinola

Fernandes on London Calling on 12:23 - Jan 25 by paulparker

Top post Mr Mcarthy !!!
i was one of the those against the move and like you was fuming that no fan groups were consulted ,
those who say anything against uncle tony are shouted down on this MB as not being fans of the club, briatore lovers , chelsea fans etc
because he goes on twitter & walks around the springbok he can do no wrong
face the facts TF is earning a packet out of us moving to Old oak common "the new canary wharf" he doesnt give a stuff about us or our history
he has practically gambled his way during his tenture of our club, over expensive signingings, c*ap managers, duff CEO's etc
there as never been a steady plan since TF took over just a succession of c*ck ups

i don't think Brian was saying most of that.
i also have no problem with people arguing against TF's plans if they want. But your attitude proves my point to some degree. What did you want to be 'consulted' about? All that's been announced is a move. Nothing else. Sorry Paul, but we have to move. Even those who don't really want to move recognise that we have to as we can't develop where we are. Whether you were asked by the owner pf the club whether you wanted to move, it would have happened anyway. Is that fair? Not on you, no, but TF, and no chairman, can ever do everything that every fan wants them to do - by definition, that's impossible.
If TF makes money out of us moving, so what? Where do you think the money is coming from to run the club at the moment? He and his investors are putting millions in now in the hopes of making that back and more later. So what? That's what investing means, Paul. I still don't understand those fans who have some weird expectation that someone will put money into a club for free. And of course mistakes have been made - big ones. But there isn't a club in the country that doesn't make bad signings, or waste money, or appoint the wrong manager. Last season, Norwich were being praised to the heavens for their transfer policy compared to ours. Then they spent about 8m on a striker who's scored... 1 goal.

Bare bones.

Fernandes on London Calling on 14:27 - Jan 25 with 1553 viewspaulparker

Fernandes on London Calling on 13:46 - Jan 25 by Antti_Heinola

i don't think Brian was saying most of that.
i also have no problem with people arguing against TF's plans if they want. But your attitude proves my point to some degree. What did you want to be 'consulted' about? All that's been announced is a move. Nothing else. Sorry Paul, but we have to move. Even those who don't really want to move recognise that we have to as we can't develop where we are. Whether you were asked by the owner pf the club whether you wanted to move, it would have happened anyway. Is that fair? Not on you, no, but TF, and no chairman, can ever do everything that every fan wants them to do - by definition, that's impossible.
If TF makes money out of us moving, so what? Where do you think the money is coming from to run the club at the moment? He and his investors are putting millions in now in the hopes of making that back and more later. So what? That's what investing means, Paul. I still don't understand those fans who have some weird expectation that someone will put money into a club for free. And of course mistakes have been made - big ones. But there isn't a club in the country that doesn't make bad signings, or waste money, or appoint the wrong manager. Last season, Norwich were being praised to the heavens for their transfer policy compared to ours. Then they spent about 8m on a striker who's scored... 1 goal.

Antti
i get what your saying but i think a lot of our support and most people on this MB are quite blind to what TF has done or about to do
why shouldnt the fans be consulted about the move ??
why should we have the new "canary wharf" & a load of penthouse flats dumped next to our new bowl of a stadium , as i ve said before we are a working class club with working class fans from what was a tough part of London, all of this sits a little uneasy with me and TF's record to date does not fill me with confidence what soever for our future
i understand he is in it for the money and will get that his intial outlay back tenfold once the devolpment has been completed (fairplay)
but this is a football club he is playing with , our club and to me he has made a pigs ear of it so far without being asked questions by us

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Fernandes on London Calling on 17:55 - Jan 25 with 1483 viewsDylanP

Fernandes on London Calling on 14:27 - Jan 25 by paulparker

Antti
i get what your saying but i think a lot of our support and most people on this MB are quite blind to what TF has done or about to do
why should we have the new "canary wharf" & a load of penthouse flats dumped next to our new bowl of a stadium , as i ve said before we are a working class club with working class fans from what was a tough part of London, all of this sits a little uneasy with me and TF's record to date does not fill me with confidence what soever for our future
i understand he is in it for the money and will get that his intial outlay back tenfold once the devolpment has been completed (fairplay)
but this is a football club he is playing with , our club and to me he has made a pigs ear of it so far without being asked questions by us

Why would the chairman consult with you? You have made your mind up and are going to hate anything that he proposes as a matter of principal. Whatever happens you are going to be yelling "Its not fair"

In your opinion, who has been a better chairman of QPR in the last decade? two decades? three decades?

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Fernandes on London Calling on 17:58 - Jan 25 with 1479 viewsTGRRRSSS

Some fascinating posts on here and some great stuff from Neil (as ever)

I take a lot of the viewpoints on board but this post shows why no chairman can ever really be successful in one sense because what people want from their football team can be quite different.
Some want Loftus Road wherever we maybe, some want PL, a new ground, some want something else.
I do think Fernandes has made some very silly mistakes but he has admitted them, yes Hughes was a disaster and Fernandes made stupid mistakes in signing players for marketing purposes not because they were for the good of the club be it long term or short term.
I do feel he wants to build the club and give it a future, some say being in London can hamstring you, but then look at the potential support base in London, and beyond into HC, even more so with the new ground coming.
I think we are hankering more for what football and perhaps evenm this country once was not what it is.
Its changed in os many ways, there is frankly no going back.
If we dont move it wont be Chelsea or Fulham as rivals, but Brentford and Barnet and AFC Wimbledon.
Loftus Road gets "smaller" every year and is not sustainable sadly anymore.
I love LR but you can see why why we need to move on, it isnt even to compete with Prem League either but even the Championship mostly we are now smaller than most grounds.
I am not sure how good Fernandes and Beared are at running the football side of the business, maybe a Devlin type should be headhunted?
Sad Bircham left but can see him back in the future.

With the new training ground I hope we will see more focus on Academy development like Soton did (still spent a fortune though)
Must clubs are fairly short term in the end. Look at Man UNited now to see that there wasnt really a legacy at United, Ferguson simply built server good teams who were very successful and he got 4 or 5 lads at one specific perios in time together who sis amazing things, some of that was surely luck/timing, its over 30 years since 1992.
Others have come through, but nothing like that success.
It was almost an illusion really as we can kind of see now.
Either way I think we need to face the fact football has changed or how its produced and who goes to watch and why, it isnt so much QPR changing its just we are coming later to the party thank others and we have a strong hard core who see QPR as (due to the changing of Londons population etc) part of their history and roots where they and family go to a area they lived in historically, without QPR there they wont go and a connection to family, past and days gone by gone forever.
Trouble is everything changes, even QPR.
Id say Fernandes isnt perfect he has made a few messes but we've been mismanaged for years and years, Wright made a mess. Neil you say he wasnt malicious and maybe he wasnt but he really set the ball rolling for the complete disastrous next 10 or 12 years really, him and Berlin wasnt it?
By the bye but he and they dithered and dillied and dallied and missed the boat, Thompson ran the club well but as he oversaw relegation maybe you'd say he set the ball rolling but between them it was a catastrophy.
The BP era was a time where the club and its fans reconnected with itself I feel and that Holloway era from 2002 to 2004 were crucuial going forward for me, and was the time the club was run as best it could, albeit with no money, Devlin was part of that too right???.... Maybe Fernandes needs to give him a bell.
Fernandes on London Calling on 17:59 - Jan 25 with 1478 viewsPunteR

Fernandes on London Calling on 17:55 - Jan 25 by DylanP

Why would the chairman consult with you? You have made your mind up and are going to hate anything that he proposes as a matter of principal. Whatever happens you are going to be yelling "Its not fair"

In your opinion, who has been a better chairman of QPR in the last decade? two decades? three decades?

Amit Bhatia and his cousin/mate?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Fernandes on London Calling on 18:14 - Jan 25 with 1462 viewsTGRRRSSS

Ishan Saksena is who your thinking of Punt
Fernandes on London Calling on 18:22 - Jan 25 with 1457 viewsPunteR

Fernandes on London Calling on 18:14 - Jan 25 by TGRRRSSS

Ishan Saksena is who your thinking of Punt

That's it! Cheers TGRRRSSS.
I was being slightly facetious in my reply to Dylan though.

Fernandes on London Calling on 20:39 - Jan 25 with 1394 viewsAntti_Heinola

Fernandes on London Calling on 17:58 - Jan 25 by TGRRRSSS

Some fascinating posts on here and some great stuff from Neil (as ever)

I take a lot of the viewpoints on board but this post shows why no chairman can ever really be successful in one sense because what people want from their football team can be quite different.
Some want Loftus Road wherever we maybe, some want PL, a new ground, some want something else.
I do think Fernandes has made some very silly mistakes but he has admitted them, yes Hughes was a disaster and Fernandes made stupid mistakes in signing players for marketing purposes not because they were for the good of the club be it long term or short term.
I do feel he wants to build the club and give it a future, some say being in London can hamstring you, but then look at the potential support base in London, and beyond into HC, even more so with the new ground coming.
I think we are hankering more for what football and perhaps evenm this country once was not what it is.
Its changed in os many ways, there is frankly no going back.
If we dont move it wont be Chelsea or Fulham as rivals, but Brentford and Barnet and AFC Wimbledon.
Loftus Road gets "smaller" every year and is not sustainable sadly anymore.
I love LR but you can see why why we need to move on, it isnt even to compete with Prem League either but even the Championship mostly we are now smaller than most grounds.
I am not sure how good Fernandes and Beared are at running the football side of the business, maybe a Devlin type should be headhunted?
Sad Bircham left but can see him back in the future.

With the new training ground I hope we will see more focus on Academy development like Soton did (still spent a fortune though)
Must clubs are fairly short term in the end. Look at Man UNited now to see that there wasnt really a legacy at United, Ferguson simply built server good teams who were very successful and he got 4 or 5 lads at one specific perios in time together who sis amazing things, some of that was surely luck/timing, its over 30 years since 1992.
Others have come through, but nothing like that success.
It was almost an illusion really as we can kind of see now.
Either way I think we need to face the fact football has changed or how its produced and who goes to watch and why, it isnt so much QPR changing its just we are coming later to the party thank others and we have a strong hard core who see QPR as (due to the changing of Londons population etc) part of their history and roots where they and family go to a area they lived in historically, without QPR there they wont go and a connection to family, past and days gone by gone forever.
Trouble is everything changes, even QPR.
Id say Fernandes isnt perfect he has made a few messes but we've been mismanaged for years and years, Wright made a mess. Neil you say he wasnt malicious and maybe he wasnt but he really set the ball rolling for the complete disastrous next 10 or 12 years really, him and Berlin wasnt it?
By the bye but he and they dithered and dillied and dallied and missed the boat, Thompson ran the club well but as he oversaw relegation maybe you'd say he set the ball rolling but between them it was a catastrophy.
The BP era was a time where the club and its fans reconnected with itself I feel and that Holloway era from 2002 to 2004 were crucuial going forward for me, and was the time the club was run as best it could, albeit with no money, Devlin was part of that too right???.... Maybe Fernandes needs to give him a bell.

excellent post...

Apart from the Devlin bit. I'm not sure he's as good as some seem to make out - a lot of his policies were simply 'put up ticket prices'. Wasn't impressed with him at LR, and as I remember it he didn't make many friends at Swindon either.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2014 20:41]

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

Fernandes on London Calling on 21:09 - Jan 25 with 1367 viewsJeff

Antti

Just out of curiosity, based on what has *actually* happened, and we can nail down as FACT, as opposed to blind speculation, heresay, whispers and half truths, on what SPECIFIC points would you like the fans to have been consulted first?

Can we not knock it?

Fernandes on London Calling on 21:36 - Jan 25 with 1345 viewsPunteR

Fernandes on London Calling on 21:44 - Jan 24 by Jamie

Stability and consistency under TF?

3 managers, 43 signings & 42 players moved in 26 months.

And relegation.

Fernandes on London Calling on 21:41 - Jan 25 with 1341 viewsTGRRRSSS

Fernandes on London Calling on 20:39 - Jan 25 by Antti_Heinola

excellent post...

Apart from the Devlin bit. I'm not sure he's as good as some seem to make out - a lot of his policies were simply 'put up ticket prices'. Wasn't impressed with him at LR, and as I remember it he didn't make many friends at Swindon either.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2014 20:41]

Yeah vaguely remember that but I also remember people saying he was trying to stop alot of the worst stuff when Wright and Berlin were running the club.
I think at the period your talking of we were in dire dire straights and ticket prices were virtually all he had.
Fernandes on London Calling on 11:58 - Jan 26 with 1274 viewsderbyhoop

Of course TF has made mistakes. He acknowledges that himself and has vowed not to repeat them. Whether he can make good on that promise is open to doubts and speculation but you struggle to fault the commitment.

He is going to be investing in a state of the art training ground. Not sure anyone other than savewarrenfarm and his handful of objectors has anything bad to say about that. It won't reap immediate benefits but it gives us a chance of competing with the surrounding clubs for the best young talent. Not something that can be said about the set up we have had for the last 10 years.

As to the ground, the vast majority accept that, if we are to progress as a club, we have to do it. We then get back to discussing some of the details. There are considerable reservations about the proposed capacity, with most thinking it will be too big for us. Based on historical attendances, that's probably true. But, if we get the marketing right and the transport links in place and we are relatively successful as a PL club, then it may be OK. Remember it's not intended to be used solely as a football ground, in action 19 times a year.
There is general agreement that we want to try to re-create the unique features and atmosphere of Loftus Road, rather than another identikit soulless bowl. Although it was also a good PR stunt, TF sitting in other parts of Loftus Road and talking to fans lets him get a feel for what we want. From that we should influence the stadium design.

From what he has said, I believe he envisages us as an Everton or Aston Villa type PL club. Decent size, occasional successes and a comfortable PL existence. Competing with the 2 Manchester clubs, Liverpool (in terms of global recognition) or the 3 top London clubs is unrealistic - for now.

I'm prepared to give him due praise but am not prepared to hold back from criticism where justified.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Fernandes on London Calling on 15:13 - Jan 26 with 1238 viewspaulparker

Fernandes on London Calling on 17:55 - Jan 25 by DylanP

best chairman , it certainly aint uncle tony
Thompson was a git but a lot shrewder than TF
a lot of chairman at this club have made a dogs dinner of things or have been total crooks and its us who have suffered
jim Gregory you would have to say is the best maybe if he had of sold to TV then maybe we could have gone to the next level
getting back to your point I never asked the bloke to consult with me personally about the stadium but maybe consult with all of us , ie polls, questionnaires, different supporter groups, why not have a say we are after all his "punters"
you may want to have a 40k stadium with penthouses, skyscrapers, and bella pasta
but I don't, does that make me less of a fan ??
to me TF has been naïve & very careless, for a businessman he has had his pants pulled down on quite a few occasions, because he talks a good game and says the right things does not make him the best chairman in the world,

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Fernandes on London Calling on 15:29 - Jan 26 with 1227 viewsTheBlob

Fernandes on London Calling on 15:13 - Jan 26 by paulparker

a lot of chairman at this club have made a dogs dinner of things or have been total crooks and its us who have suffered
jim Gregory you would have to say is the best maybe if he had of sold to TV then maybe we could have gone to the next level
getting back to your point I never asked the bloke to consult with me personally about the stadium but maybe consult with all of us , ie polls, questionnaires, different supporter groups, why not have a say we are after all his "punters"
you may want to have a 40k stadium with penthouses, skyscrapers, and bella pasta
to me TF has been naïve & very careless, for a businessman he has had his pants pulled down on quite a few occasions, because he talks a good game and says the right things does not make him the best chairman in the world,

The asset stripping Thompsons??Do me a favour.Made sure the Chevely Park Stud did all right at R's expense.Oh they were shrewd all right.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Fernandes on London Calling on 15:30 - Jan 26 with 1224 viewsWeaverQPR

Its ok owning up to your mistakes but the key is to stop making them, and if he makes a gaff with this new ground we will be fcked if we end up rattling round in a half empty stadium still paying PL wages whilst in the Chump.

@WeavQPR

Fernandes on London Calling on 15:31 - Jan 26 with 1223 viewsJeff

Fernandes on London Calling on 15:13 - Jan 26 by paulparker

Again, i ask the same question - what, to date, would you have liked to have been consulted on?

Can we not knock it?

Fernandes on London Calling on 15:34 - Jan 26 with 1216 viewsTheBlob

So analagously some people would rather be in a draughty old tenement building than a brand new gaff with hot and cold running water and an indoor toilet?

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Fernandes on London Calling on 16:25 - Jan 26 with 1198 viewspaulparker

Fernandes on London Calling on 15:29 - Jan 26 by TheBlob

The asset stripping Thompsons??Do me a favour.Made sure the Chevely Park Stud did all right at R's expense.Oh they were shrewd all right.

Thompson was git and I wasn't a fan but he was a lot shrewder than TF and didn't run the club into a deficit, Thompson sold players in their prime for a lot bigger profit than when we bought them, whilst the club remained in the top 10 of the PL, not many chairman at QPR can say that, the only mistakes he made was trusting Wilkins with 6 million pounds but by then he was looking to get out
look at TF and the mistakes he has made, Hughes, the overpaid over aged players with long contracts, the transfer of Park, the bloke is a soft touch even HR said that in his book , I don't hate TF and im not anti him I just wish some of our fans would take their blinkers off and stop going around saying , "the best chairman we had" or the "future is safe with tony here" etc
while those who have concerns are shouted down as moaners etc
and to respond to Jeffs reply
I wouldn't mind asking him about long term visions for the club
are we going to be a new Chelsea and lose our hardcore fan base ??
I would ask him about FFP and what happens if we don't go up ??
will we have a choice in the stadium design ??
pricing of tickets ??
what would we do if we cant sell out
what happens if we are not in the premiership
who owns the ground ?
what happens to LR ?
why the new "canary wharf"

Fernandes on London Calling on 17:05 - Jan 26 with 1174 viewsWestbourneR

Antti

Oh dear. Poor old us having a new stadium built that might be near some flash new flats. We should definitely only be in a stadium that is right by a pie and mash shop because we're so much more working class that all the other clubs in the football league.

The reason TF doesn't consult fans is because some of them, like you, will just moan no matter what. It's BORING.

A pig's ear? You have been around for the last 15 years I take it? It was coming along very nicely as a pig's ear all on its own. As far as I can see TF is the only reason we've got an exciting future.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Fernandes on London Calling on 17:20 - Jan 26 with 1166 viewspaulparker

Fernandes on London Calling on 17:05 - Jan 26 by WestbourneR

Oh dear. Poor old us having a new stadium built that might be near some flash new flats. We should definitely only be in a stadium that is right by a pie and mash shop because we're so much more working class that all the other clubs in the football league.

The reason TF doesn't consult fans is because some of them, like you, will just moan no matter what. It's BORING.

A pig's ear? You have been around for the last 15 years I take it? It was coming along very nicely as a pig's ear all on its own. As far as I can see TF is the only reason we've got an exciting future.

each to their own Westbourne and call me an old fart but yes I prefer were we are
its called character & not having a bowl of a stadium ala soton , Derby etc, im proud of our roots as a club nothing wrong with that
you may want "canary wharf" next to your stadium and all the skyscrapers and all bar ones & cinemas but I don't, its a football club end of the day so if that makes me boring to you I don't give a feck
and yes funny enough I have been around the last 15 years and there has been mistake after mistake, after mistake with board after board
TF is just as guilty as those previous boards or is it because he wanders around shaking hands in the BOK that he escapes criticism ?
also ask your self this question did you not have the same exciting sense of future under tango & cash when they 1st bought the club ??

Fernandes on London Calling on 17:44 - Jan 26 with 1157 viewsVancouverHoop

Thing is, consultation, in a formal sense, requires a process. TF could argue that he consults informally with fans all the time – on phone in ins, in pubs, on twitter etc. And he's addressed a number of the questions raised here in that context. He's said, for example, that supporters will be consulted regarding stadium design, like his air crews' are about their uniforms. He's also said, so far as possible, that he'll retain the atmosphere of Loftus Road at the new place.

I mean if there's going to be a more structured arrangement then someone representing QPR's supporters has to approach the club and work with them on it. Right now does anyone have a sense of who that should be? Has the Official Supporters Club, reformed? If they haven't then there are a number of other groups which, individually or collectively, might take on the responsibility. It's early days in terms of the stadium, but soon important decisions will have to made. If fans want active participation in them, they – we – should make it known in a coordinated, coherent way.

[Edit] Written before I'd seen Antti's thread down page. Doesn't hurt to have the sentiments expressed twice however.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2014 17:54]
Fernandes on London Calling on 18:51 - Jan 26 with 1123 viewsmorgantwin

Fernandes on London Calling on 17:44 - Jan 26 by VancouverHoop

Thing is, consultation, in a formal sense, requires a process. TF could argue that he consults informally with fans all the time – on phone in ins, in pubs, on twitter etc. And he's addressed a number of the questions raised here in that context. He's said, for example, that supporters will be consulted regarding stadium design, like his air crews' are about their uniforms. He's also said, so far as possible, that he'll retain the atmosphere of Loftus Road at the new place.

I mean if there's going to be a more structured arrangement then someone representing QPR's supporters has to approach the club and work with them on it. Right now does anyone have a sense of who that should be? Has the Official Supporters Club, reformed? If they haven't then there are a number of other groups which, individually or collectively, might take on the responsibility. It's early days in terms of the stadium, but soon important decisions will have to made. If fans want active participation in them, they – we – should make it known in a coordinated, coherent way.

[Edit] Written before I'd seen Antti's thread down page. Doesn't hurt to have the sentiments expressed twice however.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2014 17:54]

what an amzing wonderfull man tony is talk about dream maker, hes giving us a 40 thousand all seater and in redknapp we have one of the best managers in the league

Poll: in last fifty years what was greatest ever atmosphere

Fernandes on London Calling on 19:02 - Jan 26 with 1110 viewsstansleftfoot

con·sul·ta·tion (kŏn′səl-tā′shən)
n.
1. The act or process of consulting.
a. A conference at which advice is given or views are exchanged.

Unlikely to happen in a formal fashion, we will get press releases that will acknowledge the role of Twitter and other social media in "consulting" with Tony Fernandes. He told us that is what he'd do, he's raised his game by drinking in local pubs and sitting in the Loft. He will try and get Phillip Beard to sit with the " Leaders " of Fan Groups but after a couple i suspect they will happen less and less. What can TF learn from QPR fan's that he can't learn himself?
Fernandes on London Calling on 19:07 - Jan 26 with 1103 viewsmorgantwin

Fernandes on London Calling on 19:02 - Jan 26 by stansleftfoot

n.

Unlikely to happen in a formal fashion, we will get press releases that will acknowledge the role of Twitter and other social media in "consulting" with Tony Fernandes. He told us that is what he'd do, he's raised his game by drinking in local pubs and sitting in the Loft. He will try and get Phillip Beard to sit with the " Leaders " of Fan Groups but after a couple i suspect they will happen less and less. What can TF learn from QPR fan's that he can't learn himself?

I think its very commendable that tony is putting himself out to try to understand the qpr fans

Poll: in last fifty years what was greatest ever atmosphere

Fernandes on London Calling on 19:14 - Jan 26 with 1099 viewsVancouverHoop

Fernandes on London Calling on 19:02 - Jan 26 by stansleftfoot

n.

Well, one example, if consultation on stadium design were to happen it can't be done on Twitter or in the pub. It requires attending meetings, looking at drawings and discussing options. Supporters could have a role in that, but only if we care sufficiently to bother.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024