Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sven gone 12:42 - Aug 26 with 3307 viewsderbyhoop

Sven Goran Eriksson died today. 76 and had been ill with cancer.
RIP
[Post edited 26 Aug 12:42]

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Sven gone on 13:07 - Aug 26 with 3181 viewsGloucs_R

Sad news.

I'm glad he got the love he did towards the end.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Sven gone on 13:09 - Aug 26 with 3161 viewspaulparker

RIP Sven
Loved him as England manager after the shambles of Keegan
That Germany game , the World Cup win over Argentina, the rivalry with Turkey and those epic games against Portugal
He also had a very decent Benfica team of the early 90s and later on Lazio
Oh and a top swordsman!!!!!
Rest easy Sven

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Sven gone on 13:15 - Aug 26 with 3131 viewsToast_R

Decent manager but just not good enough when it mattered. No plan B at Euro 2004 and World Cup 2006 was a let down. Womanising skills, second to none!

We'll always have that 5-1 in Munich, where anyone old enough will remember where they were watching that. Brannigans, Croydon.

RIP Sven, Sven, Sven Goran Erik-sen.
[Post edited 26 Aug 13:18]
Sven gone on 13:27 - Aug 26 with 3034 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Well, now msy not be the time to critique his perceived failings as England manager, but he was a class act compared to some before and after him.

Correct me if I'm wrong, no one had a bad word against him, and he handled his last days with consumate dignity and left us on his terms.

RIP Sven.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Sven gone on 14:04 - Aug 26 with 2893 viewsLogman

Sad news. A decent man. May he rest in peace.
Sven gone on 14:29 - Aug 26 with 2802 viewsnumptydumpty

Sven gone on 14:04 - Aug 26 by Logman

Sad news. A decent man. May he rest in peace.

Nice guy was Sven.

Decent football manager who had an interesting personal life.

But seemed to know how to work, rest and play in equal measures.

RIP Mr Erickson..
[Post edited 26 Aug 14:30]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Sven gone on 14:51 - Aug 26 with 2707 viewsMrSheen

Sven gone on 13:15 - Aug 26 by Toast_R

Decent manager but just not good enough when it mattered. No plan B at Euro 2004 and World Cup 2006 was a let down. Womanising skills, second to none!

We'll always have that 5-1 in Munich, where anyone old enough will remember where they were watching that. Brannigans, Croydon.

RIP Sven, Sven, Sven Goran Erik-sen.
[Post edited 26 Aug 13:18]

At a wedding reception in the upstairs room of a pub in West Wales. Someone ran upstairs to announce Germany were 1-0 up and the whole party rushed downstairs to watch the rest. Rest in peace champion, at least you outlived the marriage!
[Post edited 26 Aug 15:03]
Sven gone on 17:07 - Aug 26 with 2493 viewsNorthantsHoop

RIP Sven, such a shame he could not take England further in his tenure with the golden generation. Always be remembered fondly for that great 5-1 win over Germany in 2001.
Login to get fewer ads

Sven gone on 17:17 - Aug 26 with 2462 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Sven gone on 13:27 - Aug 26 by PlanetHonneywood

Well, now msy not be the time to critique his perceived failings as England manager, but he was a class act compared to some before and after him.

Correct me if I'm wrong, no one had a bad word against him, and he handled his last days with consumate dignity and left us on his terms.

RIP Sven.

I also thought that he was well respected. For instance, I noticed that sometimes people I knew talked about Capello being England's first foreign manager. So accepted and popular had Eriksson been that he himself was somehow no longer foreign.

I'm not sure what that says, but it must say something good.

May he rest in peace. Ar dheis Dé.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Sven gone on 19:14 - Aug 26 with 2197 viewsbosh67

So sad he was one of the good guys. RIP

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Sven gone on 19:55 - Aug 26 with 2115 viewsNorthernr

And of course, no surprise to see England manager Sven Goran Eriksson in the crowd.
Sven gone on 20:11 - Aug 26 with 2075 viewsSonic_Hoop

A life well lived. RIP.
Sven gone on 20:15 - Aug 26 with 2057 viewsWatford_Ranger

Couldn’t believe he was 76. In my mind he was a good ten years younger. Sounds like an amazing life on and, more importantly, off the pitch. Amazing list of jobs and… conquests.

With hindsight he was unlucky with the draws he had with England. Perhaps had he had the opportunities of the last few tournaments he’d have taken one.
Sven gone on 20:20 - Aug 26 with 2043 viewsgazza1

Sven gone on 20:15 - Aug 26 by Watford_Ranger

Couldn’t believe he was 76. In my mind he was a good ten years younger. Sounds like an amazing life on and, more importantly, off the pitch. Amazing list of jobs and… conquests.

With hindsight he was unlucky with the draws he had with England. Perhaps had he had the opportunities of the last few tournaments he’d have taken one.

Most Managers would have done better than Southgate......I didn't have an issue with Sven and, yes, I recon if he was dealt with Southgate's hand he would of been successful. We went out of those tournaments because of bad individual errors - penalties and Seaman error.
Sven gone on 23:23 - Aug 26 with 1730 viewsqueensparker

Sven gone on 17:17 - Aug 26 by BrianMcCarthy

I also thought that he was well respected. For instance, I noticed that sometimes people I knew talked about Capello being England's first foreign manager. So accepted and popular had Eriksson been that he himself was somehow no longer foreign.

I'm not sure what that says, but it must say something good.

May he rest in peace. Ar dheis Dé.

Fat fingers made me give your post a -1 Brian but wanted to praise it - it’s true Sven just felt part of the nation, it’s interesting

God Bless you Sven, you led a life we’d all be happy with
Sven gone on 04:07 - Aug 27 with 1587 viewsnumptydumpty

He had very zen like qualities

Never got over excited or incredibly down. All was taken as an experience of life and he lived a most extraordinary life with great successes and also what you could also perhaps say a most colourful personal life.

Even with his failing health he came across as a most contented man.

A very interesting man, who was widely liked and admired.

Rest in Peace Sven.

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Sven gone on 04:14 - Aug 27 with 1575 viewsvanrrrr

Moving little video, Rest well Sven.
Sven gone on 18:35 - Aug 27 with 1111 viewswestberksr

Always seemed like a decent and genuine guy.

Haven't heard anything historically negative about him throughout his illness; everybody talks about him in such well considered and pleasant terms; clearly an incredibly popular manager and person over decades, numerous countries and cultures.... that takes some doing.

dealt with his illness honestly and with dignity, RIP Sven
Sven gone on 19:00 - Aug 27 with 1074 viewsEsox_Lucius

This morning I read a story that David Beckham flew over to spend the last few days with Sven and brought with six bottles of red wine with him; each one a vintage to commemorate significant years between the two of them. Classy thing to do IMO.

The grass is always greener.

Sven gone on 15:59 - Sep 13 with 432 viewsrbee

Becks was at the funeral today along with Sven's son, daughter and father.
Sven gone on 16:12 - Sep 13 with 355 viewsMick_S

Sven gone on 19:00 - Aug 27 by Esox_Lucius

This morning I read a story that David Beckham flew over to spend the last few days with Sven and brought with six bottles of red wine with him; each one a vintage to commemorate significant years between the two of them. Classy thing to do IMO.

That’s a beautiful thing to do. They must have respected each other so much.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024