Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Minimum Unit Pricing 15:03 - Sep 10 with 1011 viewsDr_Winston

Another disastrous policy implemented in Scotland and slavishly copied by the Welsh Govt without even the slightest bit of evidence that it was achieving anything.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cvg5233gn67o

Now they're taking a story like this, which in any sensible society should be a reason to knock the whole stupid nonsense on the head, and doubling down.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Minimum Unit Pricing on 15:42 - Sep 10 with 972 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Hardly surprising that the people of Scotland have taken to drink with the disastrous and divisive policies inflicted on Scotland by the SNP.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Minimum Unit Pricing on 18:42 - Sep 10 with 918 viewsAnotherJohn

I see that Dundee features on the list of areas with excess deaths. When I think back to my time in the city, and the kind of characters you would meet in some of the dives on the Perth Road, the Hilltown and Lochee, I wonder how the SNP and their woke policies ever got voted in. It must be a generational thing.
Minimum Unit Pricing on 19:14 - Sep 10 with 888 viewsmajorraglan

They are pointing the finger at increasing alcohol consumption as a result of the pandemic which could be valid because lots of research is backing that up, but I’m completely against the minimum price per unit as it operates now. If the additional costs went back in to services then I could support aspects of the policy, but as the excess goes in to the retailer’s back pocket is a big no no from me.
Minimum Unit Pricing on 00:22 - Sep 11 with 800 viewsRobbie

Only been to Edinburgh and Scotland on the Rugby trips , great times up there too .
Never seen the dark side of that community , like all places it will be there somewhere .

Seems another token gesture to make alcohol unaffordable has failed , a druggie or alcoholic will get their fix at any risk to themselves , money will be found at any costs.

More reports of an upsurge in drink related problems soon to come as people struggle .
Their release valve is a drink , they will get that cure .

Money limits have failed , seems a packet of fags is about 13 quid now , good news .

Vapes and weed are the go to alternative now , an early morning walk past my local Comprehensive School is sad to see , good teachers must despair .

Drakeford jumping on the bandwagon of minimum pricing too .
There again , he wanted to take Wales back into the Dark Ages , all on horse and carts .
Minimum Unit Pricing on 06:06 - Sep 11 with 759 viewsDr_Winston

Minimum Unit Pricing on 00:22 - Sep 11 by Robbie

Only been to Edinburgh and Scotland on the Rugby trips , great times up there too .
Never seen the dark side of that community , like all places it will be there somewhere .

Seems another token gesture to make alcohol unaffordable has failed , a druggie or alcoholic will get their fix at any risk to themselves , money will be found at any costs.

More reports of an upsurge in drink related problems soon to come as people struggle .
Their release valve is a drink , they will get that cure .

Money limits have failed , seems a packet of fags is about 13 quid now , good news .

Vapes and weed are the go to alternative now , an early morning walk past my local Comprehensive School is sad to see , good teachers must despair .

Drakeford jumping on the bandwagon of minimum pricing too .
There again , he wanted to take Wales back into the Dark Ages , all on horse and carts .

Second paragraph nails it. Something utterly obvious to anyone who knows anything about substance abusers, yet they went ahead and did it anyway.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Minimum Unit Pricing on 07:15 - Sep 11 with 731 viewsSullutaCreturned

Minimum Unit Pricing on 06:06 - Sep 11 by Dr_Winston

Second paragraph nails it. Something utterly obvious to anyone who knows anything about substance abusers, yet they went ahead and did it anyway.

I wonder what the crime stats say? I wonder if any "poor" people have turned to crime so they can afford more alcohol?

The tory said the policy has failed so some will doubt him because he's a tory but on the face of it, it at the very least hasn't helped and is pointless.

O'm with the major on this, if you're going to set minimum prices per unit then the extra money has to go to suport services. Letting the shops have it is just government sponsoring profits for corporations.
Minimum Unit Pricing on 07:31 - Sep 11 with 727 viewsDr_Winston

Minimum Unit Pricing on 07:15 - Sep 11 by SullutaCreturned

I wonder what the crime stats say? I wonder if any "poor" people have turned to crime so they can afford more alcohol?

The tory said the policy has failed so some will doubt him because he's a tory but on the face of it, it at the very least hasn't helped and is pointless.

O'm with the major on this, if you're going to set minimum prices per unit then the extra money has to go to suport services. Letting the shops have it is just government sponsoring profits for corporations.

In my experience at the moment alcoholics rarely need to turn to acquisitive crime to fund their hobbies, which may change if they keep trying to ramp the prices up. If you wanted to down two big bottles of Frosty Jack per day it'd cost you just over £20, which is substantially cheaper than a smack habit. 1 litre bottles of Gin, Rum, Vodka or Whiskey can also be had for less than £20 so the only people you're really inconveniencing with policies like this is social drinkers.

What tends to happen with your hard core drinkers is that they will spend everything they have on the booze, neglecting food, rent and bills, which is why they usually end up homeless. Sometimes one of the social group will obtain a flat and several of them will move into it. The place will be wrecked, rent won't be paid, they'll be evicted and the process starts again.

It goes back to the whole prohibition disaster. People can try to hector, ban, legislate and prosecute this stuff out of existence and it simply isn't going to happen. They've been fighting a war against drugs for decades and they can't even keep them out of prisons, never mind off the streets. It's insane futility to keep doing the same thing, over and over again.
[Post edited 11 Sep 7:35]

Minimum Unit Pricing on 08:16 - Sep 11 with 699 viewsSullutaCreturned

Minimum Unit Pricing on 07:31 - Sep 11 by Dr_Winston

In my experience at the moment alcoholics rarely need to turn to acquisitive crime to fund their hobbies, which may change if they keep trying to ramp the prices up. If you wanted to down two big bottles of Frosty Jack per day it'd cost you just over £20, which is substantially cheaper than a smack habit. 1 litre bottles of Gin, Rum, Vodka or Whiskey can also be had for less than £20 so the only people you're really inconveniencing with policies like this is social drinkers.

What tends to happen with your hard core drinkers is that they will spend everything they have on the booze, neglecting food, rent and bills, which is why they usually end up homeless. Sometimes one of the social group will obtain a flat and several of them will move into it. The place will be wrecked, rent won't be paid, they'll be evicted and the process starts again.

It goes back to the whole prohibition disaster. People can try to hector, ban, legislate and prosecute this stuff out of existence and it simply isn't going to happen. They've been fighting a war against drugs for decades and they can't even keep them out of prisons, never mind off the streets. It's insane futility to keep doing the same thing, over and over again.
[Post edited 11 Sep 7:35]

They never learn thse lessons. I'm in favour of legalising drugs to a certain dgree, have licensed shops and let the profits go to governments instead of the crime lords.
Login to get fewer ads

Minimum Unit Pricing on 13:22 - Sep 11 with 609 views3swan

Minimum Unit Pricing on 18:42 - Sep 10 by AnotherJohn

I see that Dundee features on the list of areas with excess deaths. When I think back to my time in the city, and the kind of characters you would meet in some of the dives on the Perth Road, the Hilltown and Lochee, I wonder how the SNP and their woke policies ever got voted in. It must be a generational thing.

12 months of my junior education was at the Eastern School Broughty Ferry

[Post edited 11 Sep 13:23]
Minimum Unit Pricing on 13:34 - Sep 11 with 576 viewsAnotherJohn

Minimum Unit Pricing on 13:22 - Sep 11 by 3swan

12 months of my junior education was at the Eastern School Broughty Ferry

[Post edited 11 Sep 13:23]

Rubbing shoulders with the hoity-toity then! Broughty Ferry is as posh as Dundee gets - a world away from the bars I had in mind.
Minimum Unit Pricing on 13:44 - Sep 11 with 571 views3swan

Minimum Unit Pricing on 13:34 - Sep 11 by AnotherJohn

Rubbing shoulders with the hoity-toity then! Broughty Ferry is as posh as Dundee gets - a world away from the bars I had in mind.

Lived in West Ferry.

Rubbing shoulders?

No, spent all my time kicking a football in Dawson Park.

Only there for a year but good times.

Edit

And watched Dundee not United
[Post edited 11 Sep 13:44]
Minimum Unit Pricing on 14:07 - Sep 11 with 533 viewsAnotherJohn

Minimum Unit Pricing on 13:44 - Sep 11 by 3swan

Lived in West Ferry.

Rubbing shoulders?

No, spent all my time kicking a football in Dawson Park.

Only there for a year but good times.

Edit

And watched Dundee not United
[Post edited 11 Sep 13:44]

Just joking about Broughty Ferry , though I once went to a posh dinner party there and I think it is now where Hamza Yousaf lives. Re football, just another Blue Nose then. I used to watch both teams when I first moved to Dundee, but got a little disillusioned with the Dundee supporters when they reacted so negatively to United's success under Jim McLean. Those days when the "New Firm" mounted a challenge to Old Firm dominance have long since gone.
Minimum Unit Pricing on 14:28 - Sep 11 with 524 views3swan

Minimum Unit Pricing on 14:07 - Sep 11 by AnotherJohn

Just joking about Broughty Ferry , though I once went to a posh dinner party there and I think it is now where Hamza Yousaf lives. Re football, just another Blue Nose then. I used to watch both teams when I first moved to Dundee, but got a little disillusioned with the Dundee supporters when they reacted so negatively to United's success under Jim McLean. Those days when the "New Firm" mounted a challenge to Old Firm dominance have long since gone.

Dundee were the team in 1963.

Strange you mentioned Blue Nose as 2 of my mates are Blue Nose (Birmingham)

I suppose we should let the thread get back on topic.

Won't be the last one to wander off.
Minimum Unit Pricing on 15:09 - Sep 11 with 478 viewsDr_Winston

Mrs Winston's sister in law inherited a house in Broughty Ferry. Sold it and bought two houses in Swansea for cash with the proceeds. Not a cheap place to live.

Minimum Unit Pricing on 15:38 - Sep 11 with 464 views3swan

Minimum Unit Pricing on 15:09 - Sep 11 by Dr_Winston

Mrs Winston's sister in law inherited a house in Broughty Ferry. Sold it and bought two houses in Swansea for cash with the proceeds. Not a cheap place to live.

Shows it's a small world.

Prices went up when news that a Swans fan went to school there.😁
Minimum Unit Pricing on 15:39 - Sep 11 with 461 viewscontroversial_jack

Minimum Unit Pricing on 15:09 - Sep 11 by Dr_Winston

Pushing up prices is an attempt at prohibition , and that never works
Minimum Unit Pricing on 19:31 - Sep 11 with 391 viewsfbreath

Putting prices up just means addicts who do not work will just steal more to pay more.
Most serious addicts have nothing to lose.

We are the first Welsh club to reach the Premier League Simples

Minimum Unit Pricing on 10:06 - Sep 12 with 278 viewscontroversial_jack

Minimum Unit Pricing on 19:31 - Sep 11 by fbreath

Putting prices up just means addicts who do not work will just steal more to pay more.
Most serious addicts have nothing to lose.

We need a different approach, the so called war on drugs has been a complete failure and has made things worse
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024