Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread 06:38 - Aug 29 with 20672 viewsModeratorC

When a team has everything to prove a trip to the Hawthorns isn’t the best pick of venue. However, it’s the next game for Swansea City, who played and lost to a Wycombe side on Wednesday in the worst possible fashion.

Swansea City : Franco latest 31st Aug 2024 08:00
Swansea City face West Bromwich Albion away at the Hawthorns this afternoon in a traditional 3pm Saturday kick off. It’s a great trip for Swans fans, not that far away by comparison to other away days, and a very large away support will be there. 0

West Bromwich Albion: Alex Palmer, Darnell Furlong, Kyle Bartley, Sami Ajayi, Jayson Molumby, Josh Maja, John Swift, Torbjorn Heggem, Karlan Grant, Alex Mowatt, Tom Fellows.

Substitutes: Joe Wildsmith, Callum Styles, Jed Wallace, Ousmane Diakite, Lewis Dobbin, Uros Racic, Paddy McNair, Gianluca Frabbota, Devante Cole.

Swansea City: Lawrence Vigouroux; Josh Key, Ben Cabango, Harry Darling, Josh Tymon; Matt Grimes (captain), Gonçalo Franco, Ollie Cooper; Jisung Eom, Žan Vipotnik, Ronald.

Substitutes: Jon McLaughlin, Kristian Pedersen, Jay Fulton, Joe Allen, Florian Bianchini, Myles Peart-Harris, Kyle Naughton, Nelson Abbey, Azeem Abdulai.

Referee Backhouse denies the Swans a point at West Brom 31st Aug 2024 17:49
The Swans looked highly unlikely that they wouldn’t get a shot on goal after the first half let alone take a point from this game. They nearly did, but referee Anthony Backhouse turned down a fifty fifty penalty shout in the second half, they’ve been given, and then minutes later a clear penalty after a foul on Eom. 0

This post has been edited by an administrator
WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 17:02 - Aug 31 with 2823 viewsDr_Winston

Better in the second half than the first by a long shot. That's the kind of performance level we'll need a lot more often.

Some weird tactical choices again by LW though. Cooper upfront? Swapping Ronald to the other side just as he's getting the better of the fullbacks? Letting Grimes within a dozen yards of our set pieces despite him being in his sixth year of demonstrating how bad he is at them?

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 17:02 - Aug 31 with 2830 viewsAnotherJohn

Better in second half, but ultimately disappointing. This was one of those games where a team with a finisher could have nicked a point. The fact that we ended up with Cooper in the No 9 position tells you all you need to know about our window. Despite the moments of danger we did create, the passing along the back line and back to the keeper in added time did my head in.
[Post edited 31 Aug 17:05]
WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 17:07 - Aug 31 with 2732 viewsdantheswansman

First half was appalling, lucky to only go one behind, second half much much better, more positive and for most of it the better side
Can see big positives but i want to see them more often and for longer
Thankfully its only the fourth game into the season so plenty of time to click
Its just bemusement how we can be so bad first half and then look like a good team second half
Did Luke tell them they were not getting paid?
WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 17:31 - Aug 31 with 2500 viewspete

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 17:07 - Aug 31 by dantheswansman

First half was appalling, lucky to only go one behind, second half much much better, more positive and for most of it the better side
Can see big positives but i want to see them more often and for longer
Thankfully its only the fourth game into the season so plenty of time to click
Its just bemusement how we can be so bad first half and then look like a good team second half
Did Luke tell them they were not getting paid?

the Cullen injury shows what can happen with only 1 fit striker, CRAZY thats down to the chairman owners and recruitment people
how are they going to get the public back interested and on side with so called planning like that, ?
this international break gives the people at the top a chance to sort the contracts of the 3 and cut out the negativity thats around the club, from here on untill january its only going to get harder , its going to be a huge job for the coaching team and their reputation and possibly jobs are rightly on the line, we have what we have now its all on their shoulders sorry to say but the chairmans actions have not helped
WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 17:39 - Aug 31 with 2435 viewsonehunglow

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 17:31 - Aug 31 by pete

the Cullen injury shows what can happen with only 1 fit striker, CRAZY thats down to the chairman owners and recruitment people
how are they going to get the public back interested and on side with so called planning like that, ?
this international break gives the people at the top a chance to sort the contracts of the 3 and cut out the negativity thats around the club, from here on untill january its only going to get harder , its going to be a huge job for the coaching team and their reputation and possibly jobs are rightly on the line, we have what we have now its all on their shoulders sorry to say but the chairmans actions have not helped

Let's face it
We are worried
Thexeindiw has just closed and we had Cooper up front
Now , if that ain't a warning sign I don't know what is
It would be remarkable to swop leagues with Wrexham come May
It's a possibility looking at things now
Well run ?
Not

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 17:52 - Aug 31 with 2357 viewsdantheswansman

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 17:31 - Aug 31 by pete

I can see where you are coming from and mostly agree but we have a good squad, the players brought in are no slouches, i have no hesitation in saying they will come good, how long will it take? i have no idea
The foundations are there for sure which puts us in a better position than other teams.
I am more than prepared to give this lot a bit of time, i know they can be super competitive, i just don't understand why they have such a negative approach to games
I am gonna sit on the fence for 10 games and give an opinion then, maybe that is foolish but i truly believe this squad have what it takes to be very good
WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 17:56 - Aug 31 with 2326 viewsKeithHaynes

Referee Backhouse denies the Swans a point at West Brom 31st Aug 2024 17:49
The Swans looked highly unlikely that they wouldn’t get a shot on goal after the first half let alone take a point from this game. They nearly did, but referee Anthony Backhouse turned down a fifty fifty penalty shout in the second half, they’ve been given, and then minutes later a clear penalty after a foul on Eom. 0

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 18:04 - Aug 31 with 2244 viewsonehunglow

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 17:52 - Aug 31 by dantheswansman

I can see where you are coming from and mostly agree but we have a good squad, the players brought in are no slouches, i have no hesitation in saying they will come good, how long will it take? i have no idea
The foundations are there for sure which puts us in a better position than other teams.
I am more than prepared to give this lot a bit of time, i know they can be super competitive, i just don't understand why they have such a negative approach to games
I am gonna sit on the fence for 10 games and give an opinion then, maybe that is foolish but i truly believe this squad have what it takes to be very good

Coach
Tactics
Selection

Login to get fewer ads

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 19:04 - Aug 31 with 2007 viewsswan65split

Mixed feelings on that one, glad the fans didnt come away after seeing us walloped 5 or more , as it looked at one stage.
glad we made some sort of effort 2nd half, but my goodness are we trying to walk the ball into the net?
yet again Grimes had a chance or 2 for a dip, but went for the run into the box.

free kicks and corners didnt we learn a few years ago it never works with Grimes, same cross all the time, 6 yard area, to the keeper.
Striker, we needed a striker, yet loan 2 out, we are our own worst enemies,
the 2 weeks grace wont even help as several will be away on duty.
WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 19:11 - Aug 31 with 1975 viewspembsjack

LW and the squad need to sort out why you can have 2 so greatly different halves, is it a motivation thing, maybe LW needs a vocal assistant adding to the set up?
First away game for myself for a while, overall enjoyed it. Hats off to the fans today, plenty of noise throughout the game, shame the players can't show the same passion for 90 minutes.
WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 19:49 - Aug 31 with 1834 viewstheloneranger

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 16:13 - Aug 31 by swan65split

Ronald cant cross can he?

Perhaps he's a Vampire!!

He doesn't like crosses. 😂

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 20:03 - Aug 31 with 1764 viewsonehunglow

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 19:11 - Aug 31 by pembsjack

LW and the squad need to sort out why you can have 2 so greatly different halves, is it a motivation thing, maybe LW needs a vocal assistant adding to the set up?
First away game for myself for a while, overall enjoyed it. Hats off to the fans today, plenty of noise throughout the game, shame the players can't show the same passion for 90 minutes.

Well,this is where a captain comes in .
A captain leads ,mostly by example
He deploys the coach’ s plans
Our captain is both carven and mute
I don’t remember a worse captIn in 60 yrs

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 20:45 - Aug 31 with 1651 viewsKeithHaynes

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 20:03 - Aug 31 by onehunglow

Well,this is where a captain comes in .
A captain leads ,mostly by example
He deploys the coach’ s plans
Our captain is both carven and mute
I don’t remember a worse captIn in 60 yrs

Allegedly he inspires from what he does on the pitch, not what he says.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 20:52 - Aug 31 with 1603 viewspembsjack

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 20:45 - Aug 31 by KeithHaynes

He inspires from what he does on the pitch? Slow, backwards uninspired passing for the sake of passing. That does pretty much sum things up as a team.
WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 20:55 - Aug 31 with 1591 viewsonehunglow

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 20:45 - Aug 31 by KeithHaynes

Allegedly
lol
Serious questions need to asked
Why I was he given a four year deal
Why is he still here
How does he inspire
Do his teammates respond to him

All he does is slow us down

He loves Swansea though

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 21:06 - Aug 31 with 1560 viewssons_of_omri

Well that explains the level of performance recently then
WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 21:48 - Aug 31 with 1459 viewsWhiterockin

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 20:52 - Aug 31 by pembsjack

He inspires from what he does on the pitch? Slow, backwards uninspired passing for the sake of passing. That does pretty much sum things up as a team.

Did the pitch seem very wide to you, or was it an optical illusion. First half they used the full width and we couldn't cover the space. Second half we seemed to adapt better, covered the space and used the width ourselves. As others have said, second half was much better but we can't only play for half's. The first time in a very long time a fair proportion of the away supporters booed when the squad/manager came over, supporters really are getting frustrated.
WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 21:51 - Aug 31 with 1403 viewsBoundy

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 19:49 - Aug 31 by theloneranger

Perhaps he's a Vampire!!

He doesn't like crosses. 😂

Certainly doesn't seem very capable of providing a decent one but then again he isn't the only one.

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 21:53 - Aug 31 with 1393 viewspembsjack

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 21:48 - Aug 31 by Whiterockin

Did the pitch seem very wide to you, or was it an optical illusion. First half they used the full width and we couldn't cover the space. Second half we seemed to adapt better, covered the space and used the width ourselves. As others have said, second half was much better but we can't only play for half's. The first time in a very long time a fair proportion of the away supporters booed when the squad/manager came over, supporters really are getting frustrated.

The space their wingers had in the first half was pathetic, how Key and Tymon continued to play so narrow for the whole half is beyond understanding. Surely it's a basic and simple tweak that should be done during play?
WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 22:46 - Aug 31 with 1233 viewsonehunglow

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 21:53 - Aug 31 by pembsjack

The space their wingers had in the first half was pathetic, how Key and Tymon continued to play so narrow for the whole half is beyond understanding. Surely it's a basic and simple tweak that should be done during play?

Coaching
Leadership
Both missing for many seasons
It can be fixed
Not by Williams
You don't win games passing sideways in injury time
You don't persist with something clearly not functioning
He has to
Go

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 22:57 - Aug 31 with 1207 viewspembsjack

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 22:46 - Aug 31 by onehunglow

Coaching
Leadership
Both missing for many seasons
It can be fixed
Not by Williams
You don't win games passing sideways in injury time
You don't persist with something clearly not functioning
He has to
Go

Can't disagree with that, but the rot goes far deeper than Williams. The club has continued its downward slide from the Pl due to owners making wrong choices on coaching and recruitment staff time after time.
We pulled away from a relegation battle at the end of last season, we maybe lucky this year but what about next. It feels like we are going one way.
WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 07:45 - Sep 1 with 887 viewsHoneyBadger

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 22:57 - Aug 31 by pembsjack

Can't disagree with that, but the rot goes far deeper than Williams. The club has continued its downward slide from the Pl due to owners making wrong choices on coaching and recruitment staff time after time.
We pulled away from a relegation battle at the end of last season, we maybe lucky this year but what about next. It feels like we are going one way.

I genuinely believe, and did so prior to the end of last season that Duff was a better manager than Williams.
Under Duff Swansea would still score goals on a break after dispossessing the opposition (e.g Patino goal against Sheffield Wednesday).
There is no sign of this now. If possession is gained, it usually ends with a back pass to defense and then the keeper.
WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 08:18 - Sep 1 with 835 viewsDr_Winston

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 07:45 - Sep 1 by HoneyBadger

I genuinely believe, and did so prior to the end of last season that Duff was a better manager than Williams.
Under Duff Swansea would still score goals on a break after dispossessing the opposition (e.g Patino goal against Sheffield Wednesday).
There is no sign of this now. If possession is gained, it usually ends with a back pass to defense and then the keeper.

The club knew that the Martin style didn't work which is why they appointed Duff in the first place. When Duff got off to a bad start and the fans turned against him they panicked and did a complete 180 back to the Martin style again.

We've brought in numerous attacking players, but are sticking with the turgid, possession/passing based football that bored the pants off everyone between 2021 and 2023 with entirely similar effect.

Williams has to change it up.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 08:41 - Sep 1 with 787 viewsonehunglow

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 22:57 - Aug 31 by pembsjack

It does but we really should not be this bad

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 08:45 - Sep 1 with 778 viewsonehunglow

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 07:45 - Sep 1 by HoneyBadger

Duff was dull and what did fir him was those comments before the derby game and the subsequent performance
He was not as inept as what we gave now and he didn’t bsyte fans as we see now .

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024