Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Diane Abbott barred from standing as an MP 09:02 - May 29 with 5150 viewsonehunglow

Sir Keir showing his tough side
Have to say it’s a good move
Abbott is a stain

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Diane Abbott barred from standing as an MP on 21:18 - Jun 5 with 769 viewsGwyn737

Diane Abbott barred from standing as an MP on 21:04 - Jun 5 by felixstowe_jack

Only it is not true labour had closed most of the grammar schools years before Margaret Thatcher came to power.

Most were closed in the 60s early 70s under Wilson.
[Post edited 5 Jun 21:06]

The conservatives were in power from 1970-74. Margaret Thatcher was the education secretary.

Have a look at the graph detailing closures:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-34538222#:~:text=In%201965%2C%20the%20gover
Diane Abbott barred from standing as an MP on 22:53 - Jun 5 with 715 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Diane Abbott barred from standing as an MP on 21:18 - Jun 5 by Gwyn737

The conservatives were in power from 1970-74. Margaret Thatcher was the education secretary.

Have a look at the graph detailing closures:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-34538222#:~:text=In%201965%2C%20the%20gover

Correct the graph shows labour closed the grammar schools. They introduced plans to close them when they were elected in 1966 it took a few years to implement but all grammar schools in Swansea closed in 1970. Grammar schools closed quicker in labour run council areas while Conservative run councils kept them longer.

During the period 1964 to 1979 labour were in power for 11 of the 15 years .

It is pure fiction to say Thatcher closed grammar schools it was
Labour policy and was implemented by labour local councils.
[Post edited 5 Jun 23:02]

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Diane Abbott barred from standing as an MP on 23:10 - Jun 5 with 698 viewsonehunglow

Diane Abbott barred from standing as an MP on 22:53 - Jun 5 by felixstowe_jack

Correct the graph shows labour closed the grammar schools. They introduced plans to close them when they were elected in 1966 it took a few years to implement but all grammar schools in Swansea closed in 1970. Grammar schools closed quicker in labour run council areas while Conservative run councils kept them longer.

Tony Croslan the instigator and driver of it
60s labour hated the system even though Wilson benefitted at a Wirral grammar
Hypocrites
And Bishop Gore went downhill fast

Diane Abbott barred from standing as an MP on 06:34 - Jun 6 with 645 viewsGwyn737

Diane Abbott barred from standing as an MP on 22:53 - Jun 5 by felixstowe_jack

Labour instigated the policy.

Thatcher was the SoS oversaw the largest number of closures when in post.
Diane Abbott barred from standing as an MP on 07:37 - Jun 6 with 617 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Diane Abbott barred from standing as an MP on 06:34 - Jun 6 by Gwyn737

Still posting lies.

It was labour councils that closed grammar schools after the Labour government passed the bill giving them power to close grammar schools.

Diane Abbott barred from standing as an MP on 08:45 - Jun 6 with 610 viewsonehunglow

Diane Abbott barred from standing as an MP on 06:34 - Jun 6 by Gwyn737

Being a grammar s hook girl herself,why would she want to go comprehensive.
Anyway,if she did,then surely it’s good as Labour has always promoting fairness in education.
It’s why they ALL send their kids to state schools
Innit

Diane Abbott barred from standing as an MP on 12:03 - Jun 6 with 584 viewsGwyn737

Diane Abbott barred from standing as an MP on 07:37 - Jun 6 by felixstowe_jack

Still posting lies.

It was labour councils that closed grammar schools after the Labour government passed the bill giving them power to close grammar schools.

Not lies at at all. The figures are clear.

Which Secretary of State was in power when the greatest number of grammer schools were closed?

Edit: Found the actual figures on page 10. Mrs Thatcher was in charge of education for the period that saw the largest number of closures and the biggest drop iin pupil numbers of any Secretary of Stare.

https://dera.ioe.ac.uk/id/eprint/24559/1/SN01398.pdf
[Post edited 6 Jun 12:16]
Diane Abbott barred from standing as an MP on 12:20 - Jun 6 with 576 viewsGwyn737

Diane Abbott barred from standing as an MP on 08:45 - Jun 6 by onehunglow

Being a grammar s hook girl herself,why would she want to go comprehensive.
Anyway,if she did,then surely it’s good as Labour has always promoting fairness in education.
It’s why they ALL send their kids to state schools
Innit

The arguments for grammer schools and private schools are different.

The two biggest indicators for grammer school entry are parents wealth and term of birth.

Parents with money can afford tutoring for the very specific tests and children born in the Autumn are far more likely to get in simply by being older.

The private school arguments are different (as are the schools). I've no issue with private schooling but grammers are daft.
[Post edited 6 Jun 12:52]
Login to get fewer ads

Diane Abbott barred from standing as an MP on 13:13 - Jun 6 with 533 viewsonehunglow

Diane Abbott barred from standing as an MP on 12:20 - Jun 6 by Gwyn737

The arguments for grammer schools and private schools are different.

The two biggest indicators for grammer school entry are parents wealth and term of birth.

Parents with money can afford tutoring for the very specific tests and children born in the Autumn are far more likely to get in simply by being older.

The private school arguments are different (as are the schools). I've no issue with private schooling but grammers are daft.
[Post edited 6 Jun 12:52]

I went to a Grammar School. I passed the Eleven plus
My son went to Grammar School here ,as he also passed the eleven plus
My daughter elected not to go to Grammar School but a Comp
Nothing to do with wealth whatsoever
Both have done well,and that’s down to graft and perspicacity

Diane Abbott barred from standing as an MP on 14:10 - Jun 6 with 499 viewsJumpingJackFlash

I went to a grammar school having passed the eleven plus and I’ve done alright. It was a surprise to my teachers that I passed and I wonder whether I would have been alright if I’d failed and gone to a secondary modern school and taken GSEs instead of O levels and then A levels.

Being deemed second rate at the grand age of 10 might have finished my ambitions in life. I really don’t know. It was extremely difficult to change your educational trajectory once the split had happened with the eleven plus.
Diane Abbott barred from standing as an MP on 16:34 - Jun 6 with 470 viewsGwyn737

Diane Abbott barred from standing as an MP on 13:13 - Jun 6 by onehunglow

I went to a Grammar School. I passed the Eleven plus
My son went to Grammar School here ,as he also passed the eleven plus
My daughter elected not to go to Grammar School but a Comp
Nothing to do with wealth whatsoever
Both have done well,and that’s down to graft and perspicacity

There will always be exceptions but my point still stands.

You are far more likely to attend a grammer if your parents are wealthy or you are born early in the school year.
Diane Abbott barred from standing as an MP on 16:35 - Jun 6 with 468 viewsGwyn737

Diane Abbott barred from standing as an MP on 14:10 - Jun 6 by JumpingJackFlash

I went to a grammar school having passed the eleven plus and I’ve done alright. It was a surprise to my teachers that I passed and I wonder whether I would have been alright if I’d failed and gone to a secondary modern school and taken GSEs instead of O levels and then A levels.

Being deemed second rate at the grand age of 10 might have finished my ambitions in life. I really don’t know. It was extremely difficult to change your educational trajectory once the split had happened with the eleven plus.

Yep.

For every free school meal child who gets into a grammer, 19 would have to attend a seconday modern (or similar).
Diane Abbott barred from standing as an MP on 11:00 - Jun 8 with 375 viewscontroversial_jack

I went to a secondary modern and didn't achieve much. Got a job, went to night school, got 3 A levels and technical quals and got better jobs and did ok in the end.

The standard of teaching and motivation was appalling at that school. Things were not always better in the past.
Diane Abbott barred from standing as an MP on 14:11 - Jun 8 with 305 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Diane Abbott barred from standing as an MP on 16:34 - Jun 6 by Gwyn737

There will always be exceptions but my point still stands.

You are far more likely to attend a grammer if your parents are wealthy or you are born early in the school year.

Not true in the 60s in Swansea over 50% of pupils in Grammar schools came from council estates.

Diane Abbott barred from standing as an MP on 14:27 - Jun 8 with 302 viewsonehunglow

Diane Abbott barred from standing as an MP on 14:11 - Jun 8 by felixstowe_jack

Not true in the 60s in Swansea over 50% of pupils in Grammar schools came from council estates.

In BG in the 60s ,that was absolutely the case .
If not from council estates ,from modest income families
It appalls me that they are now seen as schools for a posh kids
My son went and we arent posh

Diane Abbott barred from standing as an MP on 16:49 - Jun 8 with 270 viewsGwyn737

Diane Abbott barred from standing as an MP on 14:11 - Jun 8 by felixstowe_jack

Let me get this straight.

To refute the point I made that is demonstrably true now, you gone back 60 years to a single town using a completely different measure (living in a council house doesn’t mean you’d be entitled to free school meals)
Diane Abbott barred from standing as an MP on 17:21 - Jun 8 with 264 viewsSullutaCreturned

On a competely seperate point, can I ask a teacher how to spell Grammar? Is it Grammar or Grammer?

Yes I am taking the pee

I have no eperience of Grammar school as I went to Bishop Gore comprehensive. I didn't do great in school, distinctly average would be a fair description. It really anooyed one of my teachers who had a real pop at me one day for being bright but lazy. Not sure about bright but definitely lazy

Anyway, what I do know is that education is suffering, as many things are, because of shite governments of the last 50 years. We can argue the toss but it won't change whats happened, maybe we should put as much energy into trying to improve the future.
Diane Abbott barred from standing as an MP on 17:42 - Jun 8 with 260 viewsGwyn737

Diane Abbott barred from standing as an MP on 17:21 - Jun 8 by SullutaCreturned

On a competely seperate point, can I ask a teacher how to spell Grammar? Is it Grammar or Grammer?

Yes I am taking the pee

I have no eperience of Grammar school as I went to Bishop Gore comprehensive. I didn't do great in school, distinctly average would be a fair description. It really anooyed one of my teachers who had a real pop at me one day for being bright but lazy. Not sure about bright but definitely lazy

Anyway, what I do know is that education is suffering, as many things are, because of shite governments of the last 50 years. We can argue the toss but it won't change whats happened, maybe we should put as much energy into trying to improve the future.

Stupid predictive text 😉
Diane Abbott barred from standing as an MP on 19:48 - Jun 8 with 247 viewsonehunglow

What I cooking gate is stereotyping those brought up in council houses
Utter shytes in media responsible for this

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024