Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread 21:40 - Mar 5 with 39515 viewsjackharris

[Post edited 8 Mar 2019 19:07]

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.
Poll: What is your favourite Knock?

The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 00:37 - Mar 9 with 3074 viewsNorwichFan

The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 00:21 - Mar 9 by BytholWyn

Excellent post - and the sort of perspective sadly lacking among our fair number of our supporters.

I'm curious to know how your recruitment works - because this is the one area we're seriously lacking at the moment. How much of a say does Farke have? Is there a different philosophy? Have you been targeting any markets in particular?

A fair number of the signings feel like they are Stuart Webber's signings and others Farke signings. The reality is that I think they basically reach full agreement on every target.

Worth pointing out though that whilst he is in fact Welsh, Webber knows a hell of a lot about German football and actually has all his coaching badges.... He was the Sporting Director at Huddersfield where he appointed Wagner, and then jumped ship and came to Norwich because we had a Category 1 academy and Huddersfield had shit infrastructure.

Our main three coaches all followed Farke from the Dortmund II team, and they are one of the best clubs in the world for youth development.

We haven't just recruited well from Germany but also brought through kids from our academy, one of whom was never really tipped to get anywhere until Farke came in, liked the look of him and decided that he was our new left back.

We've had 5 or 6 homegrown players in some of our squads this season.

But Webber has made it clear that he doesn't really have a preference for German players over British ones, just that with a limited budget he thinks he can get better value in their market.

Zimmermann cost us I think £50k and had only played in the German Fourth Tier.... he's now our captain and first name on the team sheet, is keeping Timm Klose and Grant Hanley out of the side (£7.5m they cost).

His centre back partner is a kid we bought from York a few years ago as a box to box midfielder for our U23 squad. Farke came in and decided that he could be a bang average centre midfielder his whole life or he could agree to be converted into a centre back where he could become top class.... Ben Godfrey has started 17 games in a row now.

Our back 5 today cost £1.05m in transfer fees.

It all starts with Webber to be honest.... he has somehow managed to appoint a top class coach twice in a row, sell the Murphy twins and the injury prone Alex Pritchard for about £30m combined, and we've replaced them with better players in Buendia (Spanish 2nd tier, £1.5m) and Hernandez (German 2nd tier, £2m).

Makes a mockery of teams like Derby County constantly do really who do silly things like drop £7m on Martyn Waghorn and expect to win promotion.

Rather than appoint people from the merry go round like Bruce and McLaren I think you should get your recruitment team solid and stick with your manager.... who I think has the potential to be a superb coach.

Swansea have done this all before though haven't they? Built a team on peanuts? Didn't it get you up 4 divisions? I think somebody like Potter and clearing out the high earners and starting again like you are doing is precisely what a team like Swansea should be doing.

What's the alternative? Appointing Frank Lampard and just increasing the value of Chelsea and Liverpool assets whilst wasting money on bang average Championship players every season?
[Post edited 9 Mar 2019 0:39]
The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 00:59 - Mar 9 with 3032 viewsBytholWyn

The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 00:37 - Mar 9 by NorwichFan

A fair number of the signings feel like they are Stuart Webber's signings and others Farke signings. The reality is that I think they basically reach full agreement on every target.

Worth pointing out though that whilst he is in fact Welsh, Webber knows a hell of a lot about German football and actually has all his coaching badges.... He was the Sporting Director at Huddersfield where he appointed Wagner, and then jumped ship and came to Norwich because we had a Category 1 academy and Huddersfield had shit infrastructure.

Our main three coaches all followed Farke from the Dortmund II team, and they are one of the best clubs in the world for youth development.

We haven't just recruited well from Germany but also brought through kids from our academy, one of whom was never really tipped to get anywhere until Farke came in, liked the look of him and decided that he was our new left back.

But Webber has made it clear that he doesn't really have a preference for German players over British ones, just that with a limited budget he thinks he can get better value in their market.

Zimmermann cost us I think £50k and had only played in the German Fourth Tier.... he's now our captain and first name on the team sheet, is keeping Timm Klose and Grant Hanley out of the side (£7.5m they cost).

His centre back partner is a kid we bought from York a few years ago as a box to box midfielder for our U23 squad. Farke came in and decided that he could be a bang average centre midfielder his whole life or he could agree to be converted into a centre back where he could become top class.... Ben Godfrey has started 17 games in a row now.

It all starts with Webber to be honest.... he has somehow managed to appoint a top class coach twice in a row, sell the Murphy twins and the injury prone Alex Pritchard for about £30m combined, and we've replaced them with better players in Buendia (Spanish 2nd tier, £1.5m) and Hernandez (German 2nd tier, £2m).

Makes a mockery of teams like Derby County constantly do really who do silly things like drop £7m on Martyn Waghorn and expect to win promotion.

Rather than appoint people from the merry go round like Bruce and McLaren I think you should get your recruitment team solid and stick with your manager.... who I think has the potential to be a superb coach.

Swansea have done this all before though haven't they? Built a team on peanuts? Didn't it get you up 4 divisions? I think somebody like Potter and clearing out the high earners and starting again like you are doing is precisely what a team like Swansea should be doing.

What's the alternative? Appointing Frank Lampard and just increasing the value of Chelsea and Liverpool assets whilst wasting money on bang average Championship players every season?

Excellent stuff. It's good to see clubs such as Brentford and yourselves achieve success through smart recruitment, rather than digging deep into sugar daddy (or in Stoke's case sugar mommy's) pockets. This is the only way that we're are going to get back to the top table, and we should have the humility to identify what Norwich and Brentford are getting so right and seek to emulate it, where appropriate.
The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 01:37 - Mar 9 with 3007 viewsPozuelosSideys

The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 00:15 - Mar 9 by NorwichFan

You lot looked really decent tonight.

Obviously we were also well off the boil ourselves, weather conditions probably didn't help it was borderline torrential rain.

But when I watch what I just saw with Swansea I think you lot really need to stick with Graham Potter.

Surprised none of you seem to be pointing out the similarities between us last season and you this season.

Last season we were in a transitional stage having had to clear out high earners and deadwood and operate with a budget which was more sustainable for the post-parachute payments world after coming down from the Premier League.

We finished 14th.

You are 14th.

We were inconsistent but clearly showing we had an idea how we wanted to play the game with a talented coach who at times showed a bit of naivety as he was new to the Championship. Same with you.

Some real similarities in the way that the two teams play by the looks of it, using the keeper as an 11th outfield player, high pressing etc.

I know this is only part of the formula, as we also have an excellent sporting director and our scouting and recruitment has been superb...

.... but I fail to see how anybody can consider Potter the problem here. Got the tactics bang on against us and made us look average for most of the game, makes him one of only two managers to truly do that this season with the other being Lee Johnson.

Really hope you give Potter another summer of building as he's trying to do the right things, a bit shocked to see a few Swansea fans calling for his head when your season literally mirrors ours last season.

Fair play, kudos required and should be taken gracefully. Its boring as feck being 14th but its for a reason.... and where has having the biggest wage bill in the league and a £100m loss got Villa exactly? 1 point above you!

Dont talk sense mate. Theyll string you up around here for that!

More importantly, do you lot still yearn for Fatty Holt? We are big fans of him down here. We consider him as one of our own..!

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 04:41 - Mar 9 with 2969 viewsjasper_T

The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 00:15 - Mar 9 by NorwichFan

Obviously we were also well off the boil ourselves, weather conditions probably didn't help it was borderline torrential rain.

But when I watch what I just saw with Swansea I think you lot really need to stick with Graham Potter.

Surprised none of you seem to be pointing out the similarities between us last season and you this season.

Last season we were in a transitional stage having had to clear out high earners and deadwood and operate with a budget which was more sustainable for the post-parachute payments world after coming down from the Premier League.

We finished 14th.

You are 14th.

We were inconsistent but clearly showing we had an idea how we wanted to play the game with a talented coach who at times showed a bit of naivety as he was new to the Championship. Same with you.

Some real similarities in the way that the two teams play by the looks of it, using the keeper as an 11th outfield player, high pressing etc.

I know this is only part of the formula, as we also have an excellent sporting director and our scouting and recruitment has been superb...

.... but I fail to see how anybody can consider Potter the problem here. Got the tactics bang on against us and made us look average for most of the game, makes him one of only two managers to truly do that this season with the other being Lee Johnson.

Really hope you give Potter another summer of building as he's trying to do the right things, a bit shocked to see a few Swansea fans calling for his head when your season literally mirrors ours last season.

Fair play, kudos required and should be taken gracefully. Its boring as feck being 14th but its for a reason.... and where has having the biggest wage bill in the league and a £100m loss got Villa exactly? 1 point above you!

While Potter has got his tactics right against some big sides this season we've started games badly just as/maybe more often and had to tear up a lot of playbooks at half time with games all but gone. We've struggled to find a consistent winning formula in part because Potter would follow wins and strong performances with completely new approaches that then failed miserably.

And poor subs again yesterday. Annoying habit when we're chasing games of taking off midfielders/full backs for more attackers who can then never get on the ball because the structure is gone.

Good coach/man manager but a long way to go as a matchday manager despite his years of successes in Sweden.
The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 07:52 - Mar 9 with 2845 viewsHeadmaster

We finished 14th.

You are 14th.

"I know this is only part of the formula, as we also have an excellent sporting director and our scouting and recruitment has been superb..."

And there lies the major problem for us.
The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 09:32 - Mar 9 with 2713 viewsmonmouth

People watched that and want Potter out? F*ck a duck.

Best posts on here from someone that doesn't much post (Newp) and a Delia.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 10:15 - Mar 9 with 2644 viewsswan_si

We finished 14th.

You are 14th.

Getting in a bit early I know, but I would like to nominate NorwichFan for the poster of the year award.
The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 10:19 - Mar 9 with 2641 viewsjackrmee

The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 22:16 - Mar 8 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

He had two or three seconds to look up and cross it before he dribbled too close to the defender. I suppose if he had the cool head to look up and cross it right away he would have been eagerly sitting in the training ground of a Premier League club last transfer deadline day, not at Leeds United.

The defender blocked the cross dikhead. James was unlucky not to squeeze it through his legs. If he had done, it would have been a magnificent assist. Bell fukin end.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Login to get fewer ads

The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 10:28 - Mar 9 with 2625 viewsjackrmee

The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 22:46 - Mar 8 by jasper_T

Norwich have a better squad than us, and it's not because they spent more money, as they haven't. Sold £35m worth of players and spent around £5m.

For the price of McKay, Celina and Asoro they got Buendia, Pukki, Krul and a few others. They've got good development players coming through that they've become reliant on, same as us.

Why doesn't Delia show more ambition? Terrible ownership.

Great points.
However, I do think those players they signed are on much higher wages than we are willing/able to pay.
Hopefully that will change in a couple more transfer windows and the high earners are gone, hence balancing our books.
Hopefully then we will be more inclined to sign people up to more enticing contracts, be-it promising u23s or signing young players like the ones you mentioned at Norwich.

I'm sure our club will look more of a prospect to said players then too, with GP's style of play garnering praise from about the place and our facilities and academy still running well.

There are times to look forward to I'm sure.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 10:29 - Mar 9 with 2625 viewsjackrmee

The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 22:13 - Mar 8 by Dippy

I have a vision that Baker Richardson will lead the line next season. I wish Potter would stop exposing him at this level. Carthorse in its truest sense.

What choice does he have?

The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 10:43 - Mar 9 with 2611 viewsjackrmee

The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 04:41 - Mar 9 by jasper_T

While Potter has got his tactics right against some big sides this season we've started games badly just as/maybe more often and had to tear up a lot of playbooks at half time with games all but gone. We've struggled to find a consistent winning formula in part because Potter would follow wins and strong performances with completely new approaches that then failed miserably.

And poor subs again yesterday. Annoying habit when we're chasing games of taking off midfielders/full backs for more attackers who can then never get on the ball because the structure is gone.

Good coach/man manager but a long way to go as a matchday manager despite his years of successes in Sweden.

I think he just needs time.
He is still trying things imo.
He knows what he's doing. When we have players he can be sure will do the jobs he wants them to do, he'll be getting them to do it regularly. At the moment they need to learn, practice and fail in order for GP to know how to move forward. If he's still doing these 'strange' things in a couple of seasons time I'll hold my hands up, but I do not think this is how GP intends on playing throughout his tenure, do you?

The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 10:46 - Mar 9 with 2605 viewsjackrmee

The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 00:37 - Mar 9 by NorwichFan

Excellent post.
And exactly why I have been harping on about how our club is moving forward, not backwards.
I'm not living in a dream world (all the time). There are more positives and things to be excited about, then negatives and things to moan about, about our plight/journey right now.

The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 11:40 - Mar 9 with 2540 viewsjasper_T

The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 10:28 - Mar 9 by jackrmee

Great points.
However, I do think those players they signed are on much higher wages than we are willing/able to pay.
Hopefully that will change in a couple more transfer windows and the high earners are gone, hence balancing our books.
Hopefully then we will be more inclined to sign people up to more enticing contracts, be-it promising u23s or signing young players like the ones you mentioned at Norwich.

I'm sure our club will look more of a prospect to said players then too, with GP's style of play garnering praise from about the place and our facilities and academy still running well.

Nothing I've seen or heard suggests that Buendia is earning more than Celina. Quite the opposite. Celina was on a decent wedge at City compared to Spanish second vision sides.

They've got their house in order.
The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 12:19 - Mar 9 with 2503 viewsFireboy2

The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 11:40 - Mar 9 by jasper_T

Nothing I've seen or heard suggests that Buendia is earning more than Celina. Quite the opposite. Celina was on a decent wedge at City compared to Spanish second vision sides.

They've got their house in order.

They surely have and hopefully we might have soon

The only difference is they have an owner who is a big fan, who will look after their best interests unlike our lot
The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 14:39 - Mar 9 with 2393 viewsNorwichFan

The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 10:28 - Mar 9 by jackrmee

Great points.

"However, I do think those players they signed are on much higher wages than we are willing/able to pay. "

I doubt it to be honest.... some of them were unemployed and most that we've paid money for came from other countries 2nd tiers. Tim Trybull for example came in on trial August 2017 because he couldn't find himself a club in the summer after being released by an average Dutch side.

A lot of our players have a point to prove and had a reputation to rebuild. Moritz Leitner came through Dortmund II but had barely kicked a ball for two years.

Can imagine we've given quite a bit of money to Grant Hanley, Timm Klose is still on his Premier League deal, and we're stuck with Matt Jarvis and Steven Naismith who will be released in the summer (thank the lord).

But Jordan Rhodes had to agree to a substantial pay cut to join us on loan, and Tettey had to halve his salary to fit into our wage structure and stay.

Its just ridiculously good scouting and contacts.... if everybody knew about the talent of Buendia from the second tier of Spanish football then why did he cost £1.5m at the age of 21?

Played an absolute blinder selling the Murphy's for £10m+ each and then replace with better for a fraction of the cost.

It can only be having the right people identifying players in the right places. How else can that be achieved?
The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 14:54 - Mar 9 with 2379 viewsjackrmee

The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 14:39 - Mar 9 by NorwichFan

"However, I do think those players they signed are on much higher wages than we are willing/able to pay. "

I doubt it to be honest.... some of them were unemployed and most that we've paid money for came from other countries 2nd tiers. Tim Trybull for example came in on trial August 2017 because he couldn't find himself a club in the summer after being released by an average Dutch side.

A lot of our players have a point to prove and had a reputation to rebuild. Moritz Leitner came through Dortmund II but had barely kicked a ball for two years.

Can imagine we've given quite a bit of money to Grant Hanley, Timm Klose is still on his Premier League deal, and we're stuck with Matt Jarvis and Steven Naismith who will be released in the summer (thank the lord).

But Jordan Rhodes had to agree to a substantial pay cut to join us on loan, and Tettey had to halve his salary to fit into our wage structure and stay.

Its just ridiculously good scouting and contacts.... if everybody knew about the talent of Buendia from the second tier of Spanish football then why did he cost £1.5m at the age of 21?

Played an absolute blinder selling the Murphy's for £10m+ each and then replace with better for a fraction of the cost.

It can only be having the right people identifying players in the right places. How else can that be achieved?

True.
We used to be able to grab players like that when Roberto was here.
Much worse examples to follow than Norwich. If anyone can do it, Potter can. Is the recruitment up to scratch here? Not as confident on that front.

The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 15:51 - Mar 9 with 2324 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 14:54 - Mar 9 by jackrmee

True.
We used to be able to grab players like that when Roberto was here.
Much worse examples to follow than Norwich. If anyone can do it, Potter can. Is the recruitment up to scratch here? Not as confident on that front.

"If anyone can do it, Potter can"

Why? What has he done in English football that makes you think he can 'grab players' like when Roberto was here? So far the only one we know for sure he 'grabbed' was Asoro who looks to be a huge flop regardless of his age.

I reserve judgment regarding Mackay as Potter was smart enough not to publicly take credit for his signing.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 18:31 - Mar 9 with 2206 viewsjackrmee

The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 15:51 - Mar 9 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Why? What has he done in English football that makes you think he can 'grab players' like when Roberto was here? So far the only one we know for sure he 'grabbed' was Asoro who looks to be a huge flop regardless of his age.

I reserve judgment regarding Mackay as Potter was smart enough not to publicly take credit for his signing.

I meant he can follow what Norwich have done on the pitch. My next sentence said that I wasn't sure about the recruitment side.

The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 18:38 - Mar 9 with 2193 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 18:31 - Mar 9 by jackrmee

I meant he can follow what Norwich have done on the pitch. My next sentence said that I wasn't sure about the recruitment side.

Let's hope so.

The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 19:20 - Mar 9 with 2152 viewsunion_jack

The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 18:38 - Mar 9 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Let's hope so.

Do you?

Do you really?

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 00:48 - Mar 10 with 1979 viewsLoyal

The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 15:51 - Mar 9 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

You don't win a race until the end and sometimes people who maybe have never run a race before have to start somewhere.
Then as time goes on they learn and get better.
Like Bill Shankey etc.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 01:39 - Mar 10 with 1965 viewsswan65split

The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 00:48 - Mar 10 by Loyal

You don't win a race until the end and sometimes people who maybe have never run a race before have to start somewhere.
Then as time goes on they learn and get better.
Like Bill Shankey etc.

Best to run a marathon slowly , then get faster
The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 09:44 - Mar 10 with 1866 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 01:39 - Mar 10 by swan65split

Best to run a marathon slowly , then get faster

What about if you get to run the first part of the marathon with premium shoes and equipment. Then the for the next stage, you have to work with poorer shoes and equipment. Then for the final stage you're running barefoot.

Is it best to start slowly then? This was our best chance of going back up. It's over before March. How depressing.

The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 11:08 - Mar 10 with 1823 viewsunion_jack

The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 09:44 - Mar 10 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

What about if you get to run the first part of the marathon with premium shoes and equipment. Then the for the next stage, you have to work with poorer shoes and equipment. Then for the final stage you're running barefoot.

Is it best to start slowly then? This was our best chance of going back up. It's over before March. How depressing.

Good reply using the same analogy, fair play!

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 13:25 - Mar 10 with 1767 viewsNorwichFan

The Official Norwich City Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 18:31 - Mar 9 by jackrmee

Worth pointing out that Potter and whoever is in recruitment has had one summer window and pre-season, and Farke has had two.

Our team is made up of players signed in both windows, with a few kids thrown in.

And some of the players to make a big impact this season took a long time to find their feet last season. The best example being Mario Vrancic who had good pedigree in Germany (the only one who actually came from the top tier there, albiet from a relegated team).

He looked piss poor at first, I wrote him off as being lightweight and one paced and not suited to this league. Towards the end of last season he started to show flashes of brilliance, and clearly had a football brain.

In January this season he was the Championship player of the month.

Too many sides constantly chopping and changing managers and not allowing coaches to develop players that the club already has etc.

I mean... if you are hunting for bargains overseas you have to expect that sometimes players will take to the league and new systems like a duck to water (like Pukki) and other times they need six months to start looking competent (like Vrancic).

Zimmermann was decent enough last season, but is probably a contender for team of the season at the back this season.... what do you expect when he's come from the German fourth tier?

And you'll have a mismatch of players who really want to be at your club, presumably including Potter signings, and players who deep down think you are cramping their style (Leroy Fer is probably on the phone to his agent twice a week, judging by his history).

Get to the summer and let Potter work on finishing building a Potter squad, and then judge him on results next season.

Even when your recruitment is bang on it takes time to work on getting players used to a system etc... pretty sure Farke has had to work on the work rate and stamina of a few of them to get them effective in a system where we constantly press. Pretty sure he bombed a few out for not being willing to work hard enough too (Oliveira and Josh Murphy the two obvious one).

But you can't change things overnight can you.... Don't think its any coincidence that Bristol City and Sheffield United are in promotion contention with managers who have been at their clubs for 3 or 4 years.

At very least a manager needs two summers for a rebuild.
[Post edited 10 Mar 2019 13:26]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024