Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs 16:16 - Aug 27 with 26002 viewsbonymine

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/ten-most-notorious-s

I’ve been to six of them over the years, colourful places with colourful chatacters, great experiences and an eye opener for me throughout my younger days !! Happy times 👍😂🍻

Great to see John the Bank yesterday outside the Riverside had some cracking days/nights at the Gari with him & Sian over the years 👍🍻

Look forward to any anecdotes lads ? Got to be quite a few surely ?

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 22:40 - Aug 28 with 5075 viewsFireboy2

Used to regularly meet a few mates in the tenby when i came home

Always had a great laugh with the locals,very entertaining i must say

Miss going in tbh
Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 23:11 - Nov 21 with 4770 viewsbonymine

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 10:22 - Aug 28 by lifelong

‘There is a pub in Bonymaen....they call the Rising Sun....

The rest as they say is legendary .........

STID .......You Greedy B@stsrds Get Out Of OUR Club. ....

💪💪💪

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 23:52 - Nov 21 with 4737 viewsthe_oracle

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 22:13 - Aug 28 by Bloodyhills

The first time I went to the Tenby this old guy at the bar was pointed out to me as a bit of a charcter and I was told he was called Bell. I asked why he was called that and they said wait until last orders.

When the bell went for last orders he started swinging punches. Nobody seemed to be too bothered and just ducked out the way while carrying on drinking. Apparently he had been a boxer in boothes at fairs in his younger days and was a bit punch drunk and got confused when he heard a bell. As for the drugs there, guys were snorting some white powder off the window ledge in the toilet. Interesting days.

I was in the Tenby one Christmas Eve in the early 80's. The door towards the rear had a leaded type window in the middle of it. Some nutter, coming from the outside shoved his face through the glass. Then, looking like Jack Nicholson in the Shining, with shards of glass dotted in his face with blood running from the wounds, he peered through what remained of the window and yelled "merry Christmas"!
Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs (n/t) on 23:58 - Nov 21 with 4725 viewstheloneranger

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 23:11 - Nov 21 by bonymine

‘There is a pub in Bonymaen....they call the Rising Sun....

The rest as they say is legendary .........

STID .......You Greedy B@stsrds Get Out Of OUR Club. ....

💪💪💪

[Post edited 27 Mar 2019 19:19]

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 01:07 - Nov 22 with 4700 viewsJack59

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 19:44 - Aug 27 by jack2jack

Shades was my first port of call on the weekends Friday Saturday and Sunday,Sunday evening used to be packed out,loved the place,happy days.👍
Not notorious for dust ups and the like, just good clean fun.

Yes, I never saw much trouble in Shades. It was a bit disconcerting at first with all the broken glass on the dance floor, but after a few weeks you'd realise it was the result of drink's glasses slipping or being knocked out of peoples hands while they were dancing.

You couldn't really tell where the dancefloor was, you'd sort of stumble upon it by accident, The only bouncers I remember seeing were at the bottom of the stairs, making sure you paid your pound to get passed them. I wonder where all those pound coins ended up.
Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 01:41 - Nov 22 with 4681 viewsosj

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 09:45 - Aug 28 by canhecatchit

The Rising Sun, long gone now, but ue remember the Pikeys turning up en mass in six volvo estates and all hell let loose, thy were fighting hundreds of yards up the road with locals coming out of the houses to join in LOL If I remember rightly a Pikey managed to get a Breezeblock dropped on his head whilst on the floor

I was there that night, and the whole thing had been planned, the gypos had been giving a few locals a bit of grief for a couple of weeks, and it was decided to sort them out that night, lads came from all over the east side but mainly from boymaen, it started inside the pub by us, we went outside but the gypos just started throwing bottles and glasses one of the bonymaen boys got horrifically glassed in the face and that's when it turned evil and they got a right pasting at least half a dozen gypos unconscious on the ground and getting a serious amount of shoe pie, the gypos just wanted to get in their cars and go then unsurprisingly, which is when they were stoned as they sped away, it was all over in 15 mins, they took a right hiding that night and they deserved it.
Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 01:50 - Nov 22 with 4675 viewsosj

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs (n/t) on 23:58 - Nov 21 by theloneranger

[Post edited 27 Mar 2019 19:19]

He was there but the man that did all the damage to the gypos was a bonymaen boy don't want to name him on here, suffice to say he was a twin.
Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 02:09 - Nov 22 with 4659 viewsbonymine

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 01:41 - Nov 22 by osj

I was there that night, and the whole thing had been planned, the gypos had been giving a few locals a bit of grief for a couple of weeks, and it was decided to sort them out that night, lads came from all over the east side but mainly from boymaen, it started inside the pub by us, we went outside but the gypos just started throwing bottles and glasses one of the bonymaen boys got horrifically glassed in the face and that's when it turned evil and they got a right pasting at least half a dozen gypos unconscious on the ground and getting a serious amount of shoe pie, the gypos just wanted to get in their cars and go then unsurprisingly, which is when they were stoned as they sped away, it was all over in 15 mins, they took a right hiding that night and they deserved it.

Wow 😮😳

Incredible accounts of what happened.

Legend v Hysteria ??

Some specific accounts of what happened that night !!

We live and learn eh ...........

Login to get fewer ads

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 05:25 - Nov 22 with 4614 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 02:09 - Nov 22 by bonymine

Wow 😮😳

Incredible accounts of what happened.

Legend v Hysteria ??

Some specific accounts of what happened that night !!

We live and learn eh ...........

Definitely no fairy tale. Annis Abraham take note........

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 07:57 - Nov 22 with 4557 views34dfgdf54

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 01:41 - Nov 22 by osj

Takes some b0llocks to start a war with Gyppos.
Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 09:23 - Nov 22 with 4498 viewsWarwickHunt

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 20:35 - Aug 27 by jacktar

Visited most on the list over many years.
The Tenby was my local for years, firstly when Edgar Guy was landlord (in my under age days) and then for years when Phil Davies ran the place. Good watering hole despite the association with drugs and scrumpy. Never had any trouble there and very rarely saw any. I still see many of the old faces from those days in the Brunswick and other pubs in the area.

Good memories.

Edgar was my mother’s cousin. His brother, ‘Uncle’ Ernie, was an early hero of mine - an ambulance driver who’d switch the siren (a bell in those days) on to get back to the depot if he was running late for a Swans match.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2018 9:27]
Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 11:05 - Nov 22 with 4437 viewsCatullus

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 01:07 - Nov 22 by Jack59

Yes, I never saw much trouble in Shades. It was a bit disconcerting at first with all the broken glass on the dance floor, but after a few weeks you'd realise it was the result of drink's glasses slipping or being knocked out of peoples hands while they were dancing.

You couldn't really tell where the dancefloor was, you'd sort of stumble upon it by accident, The only bouncers I remember seeing were at the bottom of the stairs, making sure you paid your pound to get passed them. I wonder where all those pound coins ended up.

I saw a fair bit of trouble inside and outside Shades and outside the chick king or whatever that place was.
I used to go in there every Sunday, not always for food, had more luck in there than I ever did in Shades....which still wasn't much

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 12:14 - Nov 22 with 4406 viewsGreatBritton

I survived Dirty Dora's, The Rum Puncheon, Arthur's Scrapyard, The Borough, The Tenby and quite a few other tasty drinking holes. Never had the wit or courage to try The Wildfowler or The Raven though. As others have mentioned, a sit down pint with some old codger is excitement enow these days.
Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 21:49 - Nov 22 with 4207 viewsstevethejack

9 out of 10 for me - I missed out on The Cuba, too young for that I think.
Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 22:42 - Nov 22 with 4164 viewsMuteswan

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 21:49 - Nov 22 by stevethejack

9 out of 10 for me - I missed out on The Cuba, too young for that I think.

The Cuba is pictured here with some really nostalgic old photos of the dock entrance area. I remember quite a lot of this time as I lived in St. Thomas from 1953 till 1977 and used to go past the Cuba on my way to school at St. David’s.

http://www.swanseadocks.co.uk/Old%20Dock%20images%203.htm
Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 00:01 - Nov 23 with 4112 viewstheloneranger

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 22:42 - Nov 22 by Muteswan

The Cuba is pictured here with some really nostalgic old photos of the dock entrance area. I remember quite a lot of this time as I lived in St. Thomas from 1953 till 1977 and used to go past the Cuba on my way to school at St. David’s.

Another great pub in those pics, the old "Ship"

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 06:31 - Nov 23 with 4065 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 22:42 - Nov 22 by Muteswan

What an amazing link, the change Swansea has been through is quite mind blowing. My grandparents used to run the Arches cafe and my great aunt the cafes on stilts on Swansea beach. I'm trying to find photos of those too.

Many thanks for posting that.

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 07:34 - Nov 23 with 4030 viewsMuteswan

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 06:31 - Nov 23 by Brynmill_Jack

What an amazing link, the change Swansea has been through is quite mind blowing. My grandparents used to run the Arches cafe and my great aunt the cafes on stilts on Swansea beach. I'm trying to find photos of those too.

There are lots of old photos of Swansea online, some great memories there.
More here, just click on the different headings.

https://ididitthisway.wordpress.com/tag/pubs/
Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 07:35 - Nov 23 with 4028 viewsDr_Winston

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 06:31 - Nov 23 by Brynmill_Jack

If you want to see changes in Swansea it's worth using the time slider in Google Earth. Look at the difference just in the Llansamlet area between 1945 and now.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 14:02 - Nov 23 with 3873 viewsbyron

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 07:57 - Nov 22 by 34dfgdf54

Takes some b0llocks to start a war with Gyppos.

Too right, no one messes with gypsies. Just wondering how they managed to escape driving off if they were all knocked unconcious?

Benny

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 16:43 - Nov 23 with 3786 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 14:02 - Nov 23 by byron

Too right, no one messes with gypsies. Just wondering how they managed to escape driving off if they were all knocked unconcious?

I think what he's saying was that the ones who made it to their cars escaped.
the others suffered the wrath of the east side.

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 16:45 - Nov 23 with 3781 viewsosj

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 14:02 - Nov 23 by byron

I didn't say they were all knocked unconscious, I said about half a dozen, there were about 30 odd of them in total, the ones that drove off were pelted with stones and others stayed to help their injured friends.
Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 16:54 - Nov 23 with 3771 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 16:45 - Nov 23 by osj

I didn't say they were all knocked unconscious, I said about half a dozen, there were about 30 odd of them in total, the ones that drove off were pelted with stones and others stayed to help their injured friends.

He's struggling with the concept of a true story. He's a Cardiff fan after all.

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 17:01 - Nov 23 with 3763 viewsbyron

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 16:54 - Nov 23 by Brynmill_Jack

He's struggling with the concept of a true story. He's a Cardiff fan after all.

Lol shame you lot weren’t so brave when we took over your city on multiple occasions. 30 gypsies, doing my Swansea maths equasions there must have been about 200 of the feared east side there.
👀👌🤪😜

Benny

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 17:12 - Nov 23 with 3748 viewsosj

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 17:01 - Nov 23 by byron

Lol shame you lot weren’t so brave when we took over your city on multiple occasions. 30 gypsies, doing my Swansea maths equasions there must have been about 200 of the feared east side there.
👀👌🤪😜

The numbers were pretty even that night the only real difference was that the gypos were in their 30s and 40s and we were mainly teenagers, I myself was 16 at the time, men against boys you could say and the boys came out on top.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024