Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs 16:16 - Aug 27 with 26197 viewsbonymine

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/ten-most-notorious-s

I’ve been to six of them over the years, colourful places with colourful chatacters, great experiences and an eye opener for me throughout my younger days !! Happy times 👍😂🍻

Great to see John the Bank yesterday outside the Riverside had some cracking days/nights at the Gari with him & Sian over the years 👍🍻

Look forward to any anecdotes lads ? Got to be quite a few surely ?

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 21:02 - Aug 27 with 6605 viewsjacabertawe

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 20:31 - Aug 27 by exiledclaseboy

It was the Cadle Mill, not the Cadle Inn. Wasn’t it?

Indeed it was. And it was a tidy pub when first opened (near where we lived), but went downhill in the 80s and 90s when a couple of notorious brothers took it over. Not nicknamed "The Flying Chair" for no reason.

Britishness...is a political synonym for Englishness which extends English culture over the Scots, the Welsh, and the Irish. - Gwynfor Evans

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 21:09 - Aug 27 with 6580 viewspencoedjack

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 20:40 - Aug 27 by jack2jack

Don't mind at all PCJ, let's just say I'm the wrong side of 50.
I'm talking about Shades back in the early 80's, great place back then, it was near the old Roundabout, Martha's was on the other side, now demolished.Shame really.
Mrs J2J was down in Wind Street on Saturday,she said Town is not the same anymore.The only club as such is Fiction AFAIK.

Talking about the same place then

Martha’s
Shades

Top memories for someone the right side of 50 ( just)
Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 21:14 - Aug 27 with 6564 viewsjack2jack

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 20:49 - Aug 27 by jacktar

You're right J2J, Martha's Vineyard was swallowed up into what is now Gwalia Housing building. Had some good nights there, though those stairs were a bit of a bugger when you'd had a few.

Cracking places them, JT, Harpers and Valbonne/Studio 25 after,lovely stuff.
Check out some of Speilburgs videos on Vimeo of Martha's!👍
Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 21:33 - Aug 27 with 6519 viewsjacktar

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 21:14 - Aug 27 by jack2jack

Cracking places them, JT, Harpers and Valbonne/Studio 25 after,lovely stuff.
Check out some of Speilburgs videos on Vimeo of Martha's!👍

Will do.
Takes you back just thinking about those days.
Don't really do clubbing these days so it's usually the pub for a quiet night of social drinking, which is still enjoyable, despite not being quite the same.

We shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush you know!

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 21:54 - Aug 27 with 6463 viewsAnotherJohn

Interesting thread. I've only been to five on the list and feel I missed out on a few of the ones in outlying areas. I spent a lot of time in the Tenby years ago, and also remember the back bar of the Uplands and Westbourne from a time when they were very different from today. I was unjustly banned from the Coach House at one time (quickly rescinded) and had my mate's MGB (which I had swapped with my saloon for the weekend) vandalised outside Dora's. Two defunct venues not on the list are the Mermaid in Mumbles, which had its moments back in the day, and the old Swansea Students Association (SSA) Bar in Union Street, which was another place on the circuit (even for people like me who weren't current students). A pub that struck me as being a bit on the rough side years ago was the Raven.
Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 22:06 - Aug 27 with 6431 viewscontroversial_jack

Where are the rough pubs thesedays?
Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 22:14 - Aug 27 with 6414 viewsangryjack

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 21:02 - Aug 27 by jacabertawe

Indeed it was. And it was a tidy pub when first opened (near where we lived), but went downhill in the 80s and 90s when a couple of notorious brothers took it over. Not nicknamed "The Flying Chair" for no reason.

Drank there then and them notorious brothers your talking about are friends of mine
Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 22:21 - Aug 27 with 6390 viewsangryjack

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 21:54 - Aug 27 by AnotherJohn

Interesting thread. I've only been to five on the list and feel I missed out on a few of the ones in outlying areas. I spent a lot of time in the Tenby years ago, and also remember the back bar of the Uplands and Westbourne from a time when they were very different from today. I was unjustly banned from the Coach House at one time (quickly rescinded) and had my mate's MGB (which I had swapped with my saloon for the weekend) vandalised outside Dora's. Two defunct venues not on the list are the Mermaid in Mumbles, which had its moments back in the day, and the old Swansea Students Association (SSA) Bar in Union Street, which was another place on the circuit (even for people like me who weren't current students). A pub that struck me as being a bit on the rough side years ago was the Raven.

Also drank in the Raven great pub back in the day
Login to get fewer ads

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 23:21 - Aug 27 with 6305 viewsThrasher6

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 20:44 - Aug 27 by cmajack

No jimmy wildes? Very savoury place.

Even the arms of the chairs had tattoos....

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 23:24 - Aug 27 with 6301 viewsLoyal

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 19:15 - Aug 27 by pencoedjack

I had the same Risca

Shame I didn’t know you were in there I’d of bought you a pint

There's some right worrying folk in there these days.

Its creeping back I tell thee.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 00:04 - Aug 28 with 6269 viewsjacktar

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 22:06 - Aug 27 by controversial_jack

Where are the rough pubs thesedays?

Russia?

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 00:09 - Aug 28 with 6265 viewsjacktar

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 23:21 - Aug 27 by Thrasher6

Even the arms of the chairs had tattoos....

Jeez ........................ you found chairs with arms?

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 00:30 - Aug 28 with 6252 viewstheloneranger

Bonymaen Inn, Gors Inn,

But Jimmy Wilde's was the best ... If you were looking for trouble ... Then it was waiting for you in Jimmy's!!

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 06:56 - Aug 28 with 6153 viewsangryjack

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 00:09 - Aug 28 by jacktar

Jeez ........................ you found chairs with arms?

Think that's why they are called armchairs
Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 09:45 - Aug 28 with 6055 viewscanhecatchit

The Rising Sun, long gone now, but ue remember the Pikeys turning up en mass in six volvo estates and all hell let loose, thy were fighting hundreds of yards up the road with locals coming out of the houses to join in LOL If I remember rightly a Pikey managed to get a Breezeblock dropped on his head whilst on the floor

Swansea City, my one and only love , oh and then there's the Wife

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 09:49 - Aug 28 with 6048 viewsangryjack

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 09:45 - Aug 28 by canhecatchit

The Rising Sun, long gone now, but ue remember the Pikeys turning up en mass in six volvo estates and all hell let loose, thy were fighting hundreds of yards up the road with locals coming out of the houses to join in LOL If I remember rightly a Pikey managed to get a Breezeblock dropped on his head whilst on the floor

Died as well...
Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 09:50 - Aug 28 with 6042 viewsWarwickHunt

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 09:49 - Aug 28 by angryjack

Died as well...

Was the breezeblock ok?
Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 09:52 - Aug 28 with 6033 viewsangryjack

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 09:50 - Aug 28 by WarwickHunt

Was the breezeblock ok?

Covered in tarmac
Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 10:22 - Aug 28 with 6009 viewslifelong

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 09:49 - Aug 28 by angryjack

Died as well...

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 20:23 - Aug 28 with 5800 viewsFieryJack

The last time I was in the Coach House, just before it closed for good, one of the C***** family lost an eye to a pool ball in a sock.

Got my nose bloodied by a bouncer in Pandora's. The bouncers there - unlike those in other Swansea clubs at the time - never wore black suits, white shirts and ties, and it was hard to tell who was who. I think half of them were on the dance floor provoking mass brawls.

Always felt uneasy in the Rum Punch and Gors. My elderly neighbour managed to get banned from the Punch after becoming incontinent and regularly wetting the velvet banquettes.

But why no mention of the Borough Arms at the bottom end of Wind Street?

Definitely the roughest pub I remember from my early 20s. It's now that Spansih Bodega place, I think.

First time I went in there were sailors caps on the optics and a working girl sitting on a bar stool wearing flip flops, jeans and a black bra - and nowt else. She sidled over and asked if I'd like to come outside for the "half rate". I had to ask for an explanation. She wanted to do it in the now-filled-in underpass outside which went through to where the Evening Post building is.

I declined, of course.

Once saw 7 fights in there in one night, during one of which the dart board fell down along with its whitewall tyre on to someone's head.

A noted Swansea "character" (name with-held) offered me some dodgy gear in there. Declined, again.

Mostly a dead beat alcoholics' hang-out.

Entering one night I was immediately threatened by one of the ****** brothers, three of whom ended up jailed for separate murders in different parts of the UK.

The most dislikeable fekkers were in the Tenby. Used to drink there for years - convenient for where I used to live.

Despised most of them. Worms, dealers, druggies, low-lifes, and "alternative", trendy type poseurs.

Paranoid to**ers too - 3 times over the years I was accused of being an undercover cop in there.

Mostly stick to quiet traditonal pubs these days - three pints of Doombar and a packet of pork scratchings by the fire, and I'm done.

Oh yes, and that sh*t-tip called the 4 Js on Northampton Lane was full of right nasty trash thugs and all.
Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 20:39 - Aug 28 with 5777 viewsThrasher6

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 20:23 - Aug 28 by FieryJack

The last time I was in the Coach House, just before it closed for good, one of the C***** family lost an eye to a pool ball in a sock.

Got my nose bloodied by a bouncer in Pandora's. The bouncers there - unlike those in other Swansea clubs at the time - never wore black suits, white shirts and ties, and it was hard to tell who was who. I think half of them were on the dance floor provoking mass brawls.

Always felt uneasy in the Rum Punch and Gors. My elderly neighbour managed to get banned from the Punch after becoming incontinent and regularly wetting the velvet banquettes.

But why no mention of the Borough Arms at the bottom end of Wind Street?

Definitely the roughest pub I remember from my early 20s. It's now that Spansih Bodega place, I think.

First time I went in there were sailors caps on the optics and a working girl sitting on a bar stool wearing flip flops, jeans and a black bra - and nowt else. She sidled over and asked if I'd like to come outside for the "half rate". I had to ask for an explanation. She wanted to do it in the now-filled-in underpass outside which went through to where the Evening Post building is.

I declined, of course.

Once saw 7 fights in there in one night, during one of which the dart board fell down along with its whitewall tyre on to someone's head.

A noted Swansea "character" (name with-held) offered me some dodgy gear in there. Declined, again.

Mostly a dead beat alcoholics' hang-out.

Entering one night I was immediately threatened by one of the ****** brothers, three of whom ended up jailed for separate murders in different parts of the UK.

The most dislikeable fekkers were in the Tenby. Used to drink there for years - convenient for where I used to live.

Despised most of them. Worms, dealers, druggies, low-lifes, and "alternative", trendy type poseurs.

Paranoid to**ers too - 3 times over the years I was accused of being an undercover cop in there.

Mostly stick to quiet traditonal pubs these days - three pints of Doombar and a packet of pork scratchings by the fire, and I'm done.

Oh yes, and that sh*t-tip called the 4 Js on Northampton Lane was full of right nasty trash thugs and all.

Shameless......

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 21:24 - Aug 28 with 5728 viewsFieryJack

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 20:39 - Aug 28 by Thrasher6

Shameless......

I was a bit like Shameless sometimes
Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 22:06 - Aug 28 with 5669 viewsBloodyhills

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 16:29 - Aug 27 by Dr_Winston

No Wildfowler?

List fail.

Used to play for the Fowler a long time ago. It was known as the 'flying chair' for some reason!

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 22:13 - Aug 28 with 5657 viewsBloodyhills

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 20:35 - Aug 27 by jacktar

Visited most on the list over many years.
The Tenby was my local for years, firstly when Edgar Guy was landlord (in my under age days) and then for years when Phil Davies ran the place. Good watering hole despite the association with drugs and scrumpy. Never had any trouble there and very rarely saw any. I still see many of the old faces from those days in the Brunswick and other pubs in the area.

Good memories.

The first time I went to the Tenby this old guy at the bar was pointed out to me as a bit of a charcter and I was told he was called Bell. I asked why he was called that and they said wait until last orders.

When the bell went for last orders he started swinging punches. Nobody seemed to be too bothered and just ducked out the way while carrying on drinking. Apparently he had been a boxer in boothes at fairs in his younger days and was a bit punch drunk and got confused when he heard a bell. As for the drugs there, guys were snorting some white powder off the window ledge in the toilet. Interesting days.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Ten ‘Notorius’ Swansea Pubs on 22:38 - Aug 28 with 5605 viewsJackUlation

Any survivors from Jimmy Wildes club ?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024