Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is there anyone else on this site who can match this. 11:27 - Oct 16 with 4060 viewsdebbiesfella

I've been a Dale supporter for more years than I care to remember. One of my first games was the FA cup tie against Notts County in 1949 when the record crowd at Spotland was set, 24231. This of course will never be beaten. I was also in the crowd, I use the word loosely, during the power cuts in 1974 when we had the lowest ever attendance of Football League game, 588.
Is there anyone else on this site who can match this. on 12:32 - Oct 16 with 3280 viewspioneer

Not within the same generation Im afraid. My old man was at the Notts County game (and I have his programme from the game), but I was at the 74 game.

So only 586 possible challengers now! (Actually the 588 I think included season ticket holders many of whom were not at the game in 74 so I suspect you are looking at far fewer potentail 'rivals' for your record.

Since we lost both games, I wonder if you have ever seen us win!
Is there anyone else on this site who can match this. on 12:46 - Oct 16 with 3239 viewsBigKindo

I was at both matches, and quite a few in between.
Is there anyone else on this site who can match this. on 13:08 - Oct 16 with 3203 viewsfermin

Is there anyone else on this site who can match this. on 12:46 - Oct 16 by BigKindo

I was at both matches, and quite a few in between.

Wasn't at either but I have a picture of the Cambridge game, which might be of interest to those who were:

Is there anyone else on this site who can match this. on 13:30 - Oct 16 with 3147 viewsjonny_rafc

My dad knew a man who had been watching the Dale since the late 20s/early 30s. I remember as a kid listening to his stories about the Dale back in the day. Unfortunately he passed away about 4 years ago.
Is there anyone else on this site who can match this. on 13:42 - Oct 16 with 3131 viewsMeanwood_dale

The 1974 game was the first Dale match I ever attended. I and quite a few others were dragged out of school ( All Saints Primary School on Maud St ) and driven over to the ground after the club realised that the press were going to make an issue of the low crowd at the game.
I remember standing in the paddock behind the dugout to watch the game.
To this day I can't remember what I did wrong in class to deserve a punishment like that !
Is there anyone else on this site who can match this. on 13:51 - Oct 16 with 3106 viewsSuddenLad

I can claim the Cambridge match mid-week, but the Notts County match pre-dates me.

I reckon you were only about 4 years old when the Notts County match took place. Did you catch the horse-drawn omnibus from outside the Jolly Waggoner ?

Were you wearing a rosette and carrying an ARP rattle ?

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Is there anyone else on this site who can match this. on 14:15 - Oct 16 with 3084 viewsBazzanne

I was there as an 8 year old. Taken to dale by my dad in 1947 and loved 'em ever since.
Is there anyone else on this site who can match this. on 15:37 - Oct 16 with 3025 viewspioneer

Is there anyone else on this site who can match this. on 13:08 - Oct 16 by fermin

Wasn't at either but I have a picture of the Cambridge game, which might be of interest to those who were:

Those on the photo are cardboard cut outs (the ones in the white shirts I mean!).

(Actually they are Smithy, Stane Horne and young fielding)
Login to get fewer ads

Is there anyone else on this site who can match this. on 15:40 - Oct 16 with 3017 viewsBeefCurtain

Is there anyone else on this site who can match this. on 13:08 - Oct 16 by fermin

This would be great for a caption contest.

Everyone's had beef with beef curtain.

Is there anyone else on this site who can match this. on 16:28 - Oct 16 with 2973 viewsroccydaleian

Is there anyone else on this site who can match this. on 13:42 - Oct 16 by Meanwood_dale

The 1974 game was the first Dale match I ever attended. I and quite a few others were dragged out of school ( All Saints Primary School on Maud St ) and driven over to the ground after the club realised that the press were going to make an issue of the low crowd at the game.
I remember standing in the paddock behind the dugout to watch the game.
To this day I can't remember what I did wrong in class to deserve a punishment like that !

Same here MD. Are your initials N.B. by any chance?
Is there anyone else on this site who can match this. on 17:09 - Oct 16 with 2927 viewsTalkingSutty

Is there anyone else on this site who can match this. on 16:28 - Oct 16 by roccydaleian

His middle names Oliver if that helps . Its like the Sun quiz this !!
Is there anyone else on this site who can match this. on 17:10 - Oct 16 with 2925 viewsMeanwood_dale

Is there anyone else on this site who can match this. on 16:28 - Oct 16 by roccydaleian

They are indeed. No need to ask who you are with the Kiss avatar in the corner of your post !
Is there anyone else on this site who can match this. on 17:23 - Oct 16 with 2876 viewsroccydaleian

Is there anyone else on this site who can match this. on 17:10 - Oct 16 by Meanwood_dale

They are indeed. No need to ask who you are with the Kiss avatar in the corner of your post !

Think we must meet up for a bevvy.
Is there anyone else on this site who can match this. on 17:41 - Oct 16 with 2855 viewsColDale

Is there anyone else on this site who can match this. on 17:23 - Oct 16 by roccydaleian

you could meet for a Costa Coffee given their current advert.
Is there anyone else on this site who can match this. on 17:48 - Oct 16 with 2845 viewsSnapper

Is there anyone else on this site who can match this. on 15:40 - Oct 16 by BeefCurtain

This would be great for a caption contest.

Balls!

www.rochdaleonline.co.uk

Is there anyone else on this site who can match this. on 18:13 - Oct 16 with 2805 viewsroccydaleian

Is there anyone else on this site who can match this. on 17:41 - Oct 16 by ColDale

you could meet for a Costa Coffee given their current advert.

Ha. Didn't know your Kiss knowledge was so good Col.
Is there anyone else on this site who can match this. on 18:30 - Oct 16 with 2786 viewsR17ALE

I was at the first ever FA Cup Final in 1872 to see Wanderers beat Royal Engineers. I was also at Wembley for the first ever cup final there in 1923.

I then made it to Montivideo to see Uruguay win the first World Cup in 1930, beating Yugoslavia 6-1.

I was also in the Allies team that played the Germans on Christmas Day in the Somme in 1915 in an impromptu kickabout. The pitch surprisingly was worse than Gigg Lane.

I was then on the bench in 1966 when England won the World Cup.

However I didn't make it to Marine away in a pre-season friendly last July.

Nevertheless, beat that!!
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Is there anyone else on this site who can match this. on 18:46 - Oct 16 with 2751 viewsClivert

Is there anyone else on this site who can match this. on 18:30 - Oct 16 by R17ALE

I was at the first ever FA Cup Final in 1872 to see Wanderers beat Royal Engineers. I was also at Wembley for the first ever cup final there in 1923.

I then made it to Montivideo to see Uruguay win the first World Cup in 1930, beating Yugoslavia 6-1.

I was also in the Allies team that played the Germans on Christmas Day in the Somme in 1915 in an impromptu kickabout. The pitch surprisingly was worse than Gigg Lane.

I was there when Mark Leonard scored!
Is there anyone else on this site who can match this. on 18:54 - Oct 16 with 2734 viewsShun

How on earth did we ever get 24,000 people for one game?
Is there anyone else on this site who can match this. on 19:01 - Oct 16 with 2721 viewsR17ALE

Clivert. Come off it, keep it realistic.

Shun - Notts County, our opponents that day had in their ranks Tommy Lawton, possibly the biggest name ever in football to that day. Much bigger than Rooney today for example.

The Press would have been busy advertising the game, and for many in the North West, it would be their only chance to see the great Tommy Lawton play, hence the huge turnout!

Although 5 figure gates at Spotland were relatively commonplace back then!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Is there anyone else on this site who can match this. on 19:16 - Oct 16 with 2685 viewssoulboy

Is there anyone else on this site who can match this. on 19:01 - Oct 16 by R17ALE

Clivert. Come off it, keep it realistic.

Shun - Notts County, our opponents that day had in their ranks Tommy Lawton, possibly the biggest name ever in football to that day. Much bigger than Rooney today for example.

The Press would have been busy advertising the game, and for many in the North West, it would be their only chance to see the great Tommy Lawton play, hence the huge turnout!

Although 5 figure gates at Spotland were relatively commonplace back then!

I was at the Cambridge game, wonder if the 588 include BillGrundy and the Granada TV team who were there filming??
Is there anyone else on this site who can match this. on 19:36 - Oct 16 with 2661 viewsD_Alien

Is there anyone else on this site who can match this. on 18:54 - Oct 16 by Shun

How on earth did we ever get 24,000 people for one game?

We were playing Bradfo...

No, accordingly to my old man, it was the attraction of seeing Tommy Lawton that brought so many Daleys out of the woodwork. Post war crowds were eager for anything that resembled quality.

How did we fit them in? Well, the ground was very different, mainly terraces or just earthworks, and people were much better behaved in those days! Probably policed by a fat bloke with a heart condition.

Edit: just seen Razzle's post!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Is there anyone else on this site who can match this. on 19:39 - Oct 16 with 2652 viewsboromat

I was at Stainton Park when Andy 'Bruno' Morris scored with his backside!

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Is there anyone else on this site who can match this. on 19:45 - Oct 16 with 2640 viewsTVOS1907

Is there anyone else on this site who can match this. on 17:23 - Oct 16 by roccydaleian

Is it his round, or summat?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Is there anyone else on this site who can match this. on 19:46 - Oct 16 with 2637 viewsTVOS1907

Is there anyone else on this site who can match this. on 18:30 - Oct 16 by R17ALE

I believe Ryan Lowe played and scored in all those games.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024