Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Starmer! Wow! 20:07 - Sep 18 with 9758 viewsWingstandwood

https://news.sky.com/story/sir-keir-starmer-declares-gifts-and-freebies-totallin

Argus!

Starmer! Wow! on 19:24 - Sep 28 with 1282 viewsSullutaCreturned

Starmer! Wow! on 18:54 - Sep 28 by Wingstandwood

https://news.sky.com/story/rosie-duffield-resigns-as-labour-mp-13224014

We are going to see a lot of this over the next few upcoming years!

Well at least one of the crowd seems to have decent morals and ethics. I say seems to but we'll see if anything comes out about her.
Starmer! Wow! on 20:01 - Sep 28 with 1226 viewsLuther27

Starmer! Wow! on 18:54 - Sep 28 by Wingstandwood

https://news.sky.com/story/rosie-duffield-resigns-as-labour-mp-13224014

We are going to see a lot of this over the next few upcoming years!

Quickest ever resignation after an election apparently. At this moment in time I admire her for her belief and integrity. Whether that remains after the Marxist Media start a smear campaign against her we’ll have to wait and see.
On another note read a few comments referring to MP’s from other parties accepting freebies etc in the past and trying to make out that Starmer’s aren’t really that bad. How corrupt has our society become when we use crap like that as justification and a defence of a greedy, morally corrupt coward of a man.

Blog: Grenfell Tower

Starmer! Wow! on 20:29 - Sep 28 with 1184 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Starmer! Wow! on 20:01 - Sep 28 by Luther27

Quickest ever resignation after an election apparently. At this moment in time I admire her for her belief and integrity. Whether that remains after the Marxist Media start a smear campaign against her we’ll have to wait and see.
On another note read a few comments referring to MP’s from other parties accepting freebies etc in the past and trying to make out that Starmer’s aren’t really that bad. How corrupt has our society become when we use crap like that as justification and a defence of a greedy, morally corrupt coward of a man.

The big difference here is hypocrisy, the man who said he would 'clean up politics' has been found to be taking gifts that can't really be justified.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Starmer! Wow! on 20:38 - Sep 28 with 1147 viewsScotia

I think the issue is that this wouldn't have been a story 6 months ago.

It's not right, it's not against the rules but it should be. This kind of thing has been happening for years at all levels of politics and shouldn't have been. Just look at local councillors declarations.
Starmer! Wow! on 20:45 - Sep 28 with 1137 viewsWhiterockin

Personally I think if you are elected on a party ticket and feel strongly enough to leave the party there should be a by election. Yes by all means stand again as an independent or for another party, but surely you shouldn't be able to just switch.
Starmer! Wow! on 20:56 - Sep 28 with 1114 viewsGwyn737

Starmer! Wow! on 20:38 - Sep 28 by Scotia

I think the issue is that this wouldn't have been a story 6 months ago.

It's not right, it's not against the rules but it should be. This kind of thing has been happening for years at all levels of politics and shouldn't have been. Just look at local councillors declarations.

That’s pretty much my issue.

It’s not that one person’s donations is worse or not (although I stand by the flat story being ridiculous), it’s that difference in coverage.

Why is this an issue now?
Starmer! Wow! on 20:57 - Sep 28 with 1112 viewsGwyn737

Starmer! Wow! on 20:45 - Sep 28 by Whiterockin

Personally I think if you are elected on a party ticket and feel strongly enough to leave the party there should be a by election. Yes by all means stand again as an independent or for another party, but surely you shouldn't be able to just switch.

I’d agree with that.

And with all the Tory MPs coming out and saying how great she is, perhaps she could stand for them?

Or stand as an independent as she’ll get the Tory vote?
Starmer! Wow! on 21:05 - Sep 28 with 1077 viewsmajorraglan

What’s happened doesn’t appear to be against the rules or unlawful but it does stick in my throat and the rules need to change.

We’ve seen years of gifs/backhanders under the last regime and it’s also crept in to Labour. Starmer has disappointed.
[Post edited 28 Sep 21:05]
Login to get fewer ads

Starmer! Wow! on 21:18 - Sep 28 with 1047 viewsScotia

Starmer! Wow! on 20:56 - Sep 28 by Gwyn737

That’s pretty much my issue.

It’s not that one person’s donations is worse or not (although I stand by the flat story being ridiculous), it’s that difference in coverage.

Why is this an issue now?

I suspect it's a bigger issue now because the donor is Lord Alli.

Ignoring the obvious reason why the Mail, Sun, Express and GB News don't like him he also wants to reform the press. Apparently to remove political bias amongst other things. They're loving this.
Starmer! Wow! on 21:20 - Sep 28 with 1042 viewsScotia

I'd agree that should be the case. I'd also like to see a general election after each change of prime minister.
Starmer! Wow! on 21:27 - Sep 28 with 1022 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Officially speaking you vote for the candidate at a GE and not the party but we know in reality that doesn’t happen.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Starmer! Wow! on 21:38 - Sep 28 with 993 viewsAguycalledJack

I do work for public bodies and local authorities as well as private clients. As part of our business we take clients out for meals and drinks etc which is normal in any business. However, whenever we have offered to wine and dine members of public bodies or local authorities the answer is always no as it could be construed as an inducement. Now, if meals and drinks out are being refused at lower levels, how the hell do they get away with it when running the country? Surely, there should be no gifts, no cash no free football tickets for any mp and members of their departments.

Ps the private clients never refuse 😂
Starmer! Wow! on 07:35 - Sep 29 with 872 viewsScotia

Starmer! Wow! on 21:38 - Sep 28 by AguycalledJack

I do work for public bodies and local authorities as well as private clients. As part of our business we take clients out for meals and drinks etc which is normal in any business. However, whenever we have offered to wine and dine members of public bodies or local authorities the answer is always no as it could be construed as an inducement. Now, if meals and drinks out are being refused at lower levels, how the hell do they get away with it when running the country? Surely, there should be no gifts, no cash no free football tickets for any mp and members of their departments.

Bang on.
Starmer! Wow! on 09:25 - Sep 29 with 810 viewsWhiterockin

I feel that I must point out that my experience is very different. During my working life I attended and hosted many hundreds of social events with guests comprising of local politicians through to cabinet ministers plus local public sector workers with influence to make decisions and procure goods, none made any attempt to pay. It was accepted as the norm. This is why my opinion of politicians is so entrenched, so many have dark secrets that the public would gasp at. I totally believe you and your and your post because there are some areas people working in the public sector avoid, but it is still rampant. I would never divulge any details for obvious reasons. I agree with you it should stop but politicians get addicted and see it as a game of who can get more than another. The problem is its like smoking, they often start early and can't give it up.
Starmer! Wow! on 09:48 - Sep 29 with 784 viewsLuther27

Excellent post.

Blog: Grenfell Tower

Starmer! Wow! on 17:12 - Sep 29 with 646 viewsmajorraglan

Starmer! Wow! on 09:25 - Sep 29 by Whiterockin

I feel that I must point out that my experience is very different. During my working life I attended and hosted many hundreds of social events with guests comprising of local politicians through to cabinet ministers plus local public sector workers with influence to make decisions and procure goods, none made any attempt to pay. It was accepted as the norm. This is why my opinion of politicians is so entrenched, so many have dark secrets that the public would gasp at. I totally believe you and your and your post because there are some areas people working in the public sector avoid, but it is still rampant. I would never divulge any details for obvious reasons. I agree with you it should stop but politicians get addicted and see it as a game of who can get more than another. The problem is its like smoking, they often start early and can't give it up.

Could it be that the politicians are happy to take what’s offered, but the employees of councils, police authorities, nhs, civil service etc decline as they operate to different rules. I’ve worked in both the private and state sector, my experience of the latter is that the employees are far more reluctant to accept hospitality than the politicians.

Many years ago my father in law sponsored a Welsh league match for the local football club and FIL offered my son and I tickets. I had to declare everything in advance and get permission from my employer to attend. I submitted the paperwork and it was duly approved, but it was a lot of hassle for 2 tickets and 2 coffee and biscuits. Had I not declared it and got approval, I’d have lost my job.
Starmer! Wow! on 17:47 - Sep 29 with 625 viewsWhiterockin

Starmer! Wow! on 17:12 - Sep 29 by majorraglan

Could it be that the politicians are happy to take what’s offered, but the employees of councils, police authorities, nhs, civil service etc decline as they operate to different rules. I’ve worked in both the private and state sector, my experience of the latter is that the employees are far more reluctant to accept hospitality than the politicians.

Many years ago my father in law sponsored a Welsh league match for the local football club and FIL offered my son and I tickets. I had to declare everything in advance and get permission from my employer to attend. I submitted the paperwork and it was duly approved, but it was a lot of hassle for 2 tickets and 2 coffee and biscuits. Had I not declared it and got approval, I’d have lost my job.

Have you ever heard of doctors wined and dined by medical reps, just as an example, there are many many more.
Starmer! Wow! on 17:49 - Sep 29 with 612 viewsDr_Winston

Starmer! Wow! on 20:28 - Sep 26 by Scotia

Yep. Including all the guff they get added on for offices etc.

No accommodation expenses, they can stay in a travel lodge if they live far enough away from Westminster. Their staff should be paid as civil servants not from MPs expenses. Similar for travel and all that. It's how the civil service runs, and they are civil servants.

I wouldn't do their job for what they get at the moment.

The PM gets similar to a director level in Swansea council and. An MP similar to someone at management level. It's nuts.

Put it this way. If this was the situation Caroline Harris would not be earning £91k a year. The

It won't be a popular opinion, but you're right.

If you want to attract the "best" to Parliament then you're going to have to either accept them taking second jobs or pay them a lot more, because anyone with anything like the level of ability required to run the country will not work for £90k a year.

Cut the numbers to make it cost neutral if you like, but otherwise you're going to end up with a House full of Carolyn Harrises.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Starmer! Wow! on 12:38 - Sep 30 with 327 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Starmer! Wow! on 17:49 - Sep 29 by Dr_Winston

It won't be a popular opinion, but you're right.

If you want to attract the "best" to Parliament then you're going to have to either accept them taking second jobs or pay them a lot more, because anyone with anything like the level of ability required to run the country will not work for £90k a year.

Cut the numbers to make it cost neutral if you like, but otherwise you're going to end up with a House full of Carolyn Harrises.

With the party system and the nepotic selection system “the best” would still not get anywhere near a party seat unless they are either related to or a good friend of another high ranking official/union member.

The pay is irrelevant.

Starmer! Wow! on 17:16 - Sep 30 with 270 viewsDr_Winston

Starmer! Wow! on 12:38 - Sep 30 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

With the party system and the nepotic selection system “the best” would still not get anywhere near a party seat unless they are either related to or a good friend of another high ranking official/union member.

The pay is irrelevant.

That's a fair point, but if you leave the salary at the current level and deny people the chance to earn extra then reliable party hacks or second raters is all you'll have.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Starmer! Wow! on 17:35 - Sep 30 with 238 viewsSullutaCreturned

Starmer! Wow! on 21:27 - Sep 28 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

Officially speaking you vote for the candidate at a GE and not the party but we know in reality that doesn’t happen.

That won't even be the official line in Wales when they change things.
Starmer! Wow! on 19:11 - Sep 30 with 172 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

After weeks of rumours around conflict between Number 10, Sue Gray and the head of the civil service Simon Case the latter has today dropped the bombshell that he has to step down immediately due to a long standing health issue.

If I were the cynical type I’d suggest that the timing is more than a bit bloody convenient but fortunately I’m not so I wish him well with his recovery and hope he can move on to a new and exciting chapter.

Starmer! Wow! on 21:42 - Sep 30 with 106 viewsSullutaCreturned

Starmer! Wow! on 19:11 - Sep 30 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

After weeks of rumours around conflict between Number 10, Sue Gray and the head of the civil service Simon Case the latter has today dropped the bombshell that he has to step down immediately due to a long standing health issue.

If I were the cynical type I’d suggest that the timing is more than a bit bloody convenient but fortunately I’m not so I wish him well with his recovery and hope he can move on to a new and exciting chapter.

Yeah, next month he'll start his new part time job, 3 days a month for 2 million quid per year with some financial institution.

It'll be a miracle recovery. How long can you have a cold for?
Starmer! Wow! on 22:17 - Sep 30 with 73 viewsmajorraglan

Starmer! Wow! on 19:11 - Sep 30 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

There’s ministers allegedly briefing the papers that they want him gone asap, but it appears that he’s been ill for 18 months and that he was off work for 2 months last year before returning to work in January.

I suspect there’s more to come on this.
Starmer! Wow! on 02:05 - Oct 1 with 6 viewsRobbie

Bet Sue Greys backstory and later on book deal will make her a millionaire big time .

She called that lovable rogue Bojo out though , she will dine on that forever I suppose .

Easy question is can anybody can be trusted anymore in Westminster , our lawmakers .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024