Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread 22:42 - Aug 12 with 42688 viewsnumptydumpty

I think only ever started one match day thread

But have taken responsibility this season for our new found cup successes.

The cup run starts here.

Taylor Richards scores a 90th minute winner - an own goal - to set us on our merry way and few games later Richards gets cult hero status in being the beginning of the magic run towards Carabao Cup Final success !!!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:17 - Aug 13 with 2542 viewsGalileo

Lovely move for the first goal.
Dan Barton Cambridge No.36 looks the sort of player we would love to have.
Thought Morrison did well enough on debut.

We won, nowhere near as convincing as we’d like however before getting too critical we need to remember a good few of those who ended the game have little or no experience playing in the EFL. This squad needs time to develop.
Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:17 - Aug 13 with 2541 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

That 2nd half was, quite simply, fcking awful. Are we deliberately trying not to press the man with the ball, we are 2 yards off every time.
And poor old Celar, he was up top on his own, yet no one with in 20 yards of him again. We just drop deep. At one point Field and EDB were standing 3 yards infront of the back line. Why?

Morrison looks good on the ball. That's about it.
Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:19 - Aug 13 with 2478 viewsbosh67

Anyone who had the misfortune of watching us lose to Vauxhall Motors should be very pleased we actually won what could have been a very tricky game away from home. We won but always remember the ghost of Vauxhall Motors. That is all!

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:19 - Aug 13 with 2473 viewsmart_Goblin

Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:07 - Aug 13 by rbee

Hilarious match thread. Relegation looms, new signings are poor, because the home team in a division below us scores and puts our B team under pressure. Look at the line up that ended the game!

I suggest some of you don’t watch on Saturday 😂

In the main you are right.
Perhaps we need to be patient until the window is over and it all settles down .
However Field, Dykes, JCS, Dunne, EDB, Celar, Paal, all ended the game and being 2-0 up against lower league opposition, you want them to kick on and play some football but we unraveled and got played around like we were the Lowe league team at times .
It’s just frustration thats all because we want them to look competitive.
Play that way on Saturday and we’ll get gubbed out of sight.
Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:20 - Aug 13 with 2438 viewsstevec

Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 21:56 - Aug 13 by baz_qpr

What a terrible 2nd half performance that was, we seem to have lost all shape and organisation. Sam Field seems to have forgotten how to play football over the summer, miles of the pace. I hope we were experimenting but something is not right, we keep getting cut open through midfield, I think we must be on slow burn fitness again. EDB needs a loan out. Celar is not going to give us anything outside the box and I'm a bit miffed about Santos at the moment

Is Santos the long haired fella with socks rolled down, keeps coming on in last ten minutes?

Looks like he’s been dragged off a local park.
Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:22 - Aug 13 with 2401 viewsdmm

Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:20 - Aug 13 by stevec

Is Santos the long haired fella with socks rolled down, keeps coming on in last ten minutes?

No, that's Bennie. Santos is the Ed Miliband look alike.
Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:24 - Aug 13 with 2348 viewsnix

Don't be too down, weve just won £5,000 plus 45% of the gate receipts. We're in the money!
Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:24 - Aug 13 with 2340 viewsLogman

Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:20 - Aug 13 by stevec

No, that's Daniel Bennie. Who actually looks like he has something about him. Santos is the one who, when you watch the action, he's always off to the side.
Login to get fewer ads

Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:25 - Aug 13 with 2319 viewsbosh67

The goals

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/13196563/michael-frey-fires-qpr-ahead-at-c
Beautiful team goal

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/13196582/paul-smyth-doubles-qpr-lead-after
Well done Paul!

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:29 - Aug 13 with 2235 viewsPdog

Watched the game with no commentary which does add a different angle to things but if you're playing shit, you're playing shit.

1st half i felt we mostly controlled and looked comfortable scoring a fabulous goal after a classy incisive passing move.

Lloyd was lively, threatening and raw.

Frey you could feed him to feet and play off.

Smyth was causing problems with his directness.

EDB i felt had a good half, a lot of attacks (the goal included) came from his forward thinking quick passing, also should have scored. Probably a reason why Marti switched him to 10 resting Anderson and seeing what he could do further up.. until further changes then it just got disjointed.

As for that 2nd half... I expect complacency kicked in being 2-0 up with a big game at the weekend + a change in middle of the park where Field didn't have a great game. It was poor though and so open at the back , against a team with nothing to lose in their big cup match and us with 5 fringe players finishing the game.

We done some good bits, some shit bits, and fringe players got some minutes. We have Chair + 2 new signings to come in, and we're in the next round of the cup. I'll refrain from the August meltdown for now.
Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:29 - Aug 13 with 2228 viewsQPR_Hibs

Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:17 - Aug 13 by Wilkinswatercarrier

That 2nd half was, quite simply, fcking awful. Are we deliberately trying not to press the man with the ball, we are 2 yards off every time.
And poor old Celar, he was up top on his own, yet no one with in 20 yards of him again. We just drop deep. At one point Field and EDB were standing 3 yards infront of the back line. Why?

Morrison looks good on the ball. That's about it.

I thought that the part of the reason we played those 2 weak Spanish teams pre-season was to allow us to practice the high press. Tonight was an ideal chance to use it as Cambridge did not look that great passing it out from the back.
Because we didn't press high they had an easy out and looked much better than us going forward.

"Remember to listen to me but look at her. Don't get it the wrong way round. That would be hideous."

Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:31 - Aug 13 with 2172 viewsstainrods_elbow

Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:29 - Aug 13 by Pdog

Watched the game with no commentary which does add a different angle to things but if you're playing shit, you're playing shit.

1st half i felt we mostly controlled and looked comfortable scoring a fabulous goal after a classy incisive passing move.

Lloyd was lively, threatening and raw.

Frey you could feed him to feet and play off.

Smyth was causing problems with his directness.

EDB i felt had a good half, a lot of attacks (the goal included) came from his forward thinking quick passing, also should have scored. Probably a reason why Marti switched him to 10 resting Anderson and seeing what he could do further up.. until further changes then it just got disjointed.

As for that 2nd half... I expect complacency kicked in being 2-0 up with a big game at the weekend + a change in middle of the park where Field didn't have a great game. It was poor though and so open at the back , against a team with nothing to lose in their big cup match and us with 5 fringe players finishing the game.

We done some good bits, some shit bits, and fringe players got some minutes. We have Chair + 2 new signings to come in, and we're in the next round of the cup. I'll refrain from the August meltdown for now.

Solid post, as I decompress (a bit).

Saturday will tell us a lot more.

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:31 - Aug 13 with 2184 viewsessextaxiboy

Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:12 - Aug 13 by Damo1962

This why we are so poor in Cup competitions. A lot of supporters seem to buy into the club philosophy of binning off these games. Don't think MC has that mentality. I hoped that new faces at the top would do something about this malaise.

The FA and the Football League have devalued their own competitions . The League hawking the sponsorship around washing machine retailers , dairy,s, catalogue retailers and now an energy drink company .
The FA while banging on about the traditions of the Cup proceed to give them all up . matchdays , the draw , semi final venues , kick off times and replays .

I dont care about them because obviously the organisations who front them do not , seems like the Clubs take the same view . Even the ones that win it dont play their first teams until the semis
Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:31 - Aug 13 with 2177 viewsrbee

Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:12 - Aug 13 by Damo1962

This why we are so poor in Cup competitions. A lot of supporters seem to buy into the club philosophy of binning off these games. Don't think MC has that mentality. I hoped that new faces at the top would do something about this malaise.

You have to protect the likes of Cook, Colback, Nardi in games like this, I was surprised that Andersen played.

Somebody reminded Marti that he could make five substitutions so he enjoyed himself. Very strange team that ended the game but the new boys got some minutes. Should we progress in the competition then you would see a stronger starting eleven I think.
Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:34 - Aug 13 with 2104 viewsQPR_Jim

Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:06 - Aug 13 by mart_Goblin

The goal against is a shocker .
Yes of course Walsh plays a poor ball… but …. I noticed in the first half that Verane, EDB and Frey all played balls into space to Paal who either , stopped, changed direction, lost interest , was distracted by a moth….etc etc .
He made balls played into him look awful . All 3 players aforementioned gave him daggers and worse afterwards and If you look closely he come short for the ball off of Walsh …and stops !
It’s a poor ball from Walsh but Paal made look as bad as it was .
Feel like I’m digging Paal out and actually he was better than Saturday . But that’s not saying much .

On a positive note , our first goal was a lovely move involving half a dozen players and showed we can actually play if we are brave enough .
[Post edited 13 Aug 22:09]

I thought that except for the goal conceded, Walsh played really well and made some crucial saves. Think he has what it takes to be first choice in the future.
Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:34 - Aug 13 with 2097 viewsA40Bosh

Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:29 - Aug 13 by QPR_Hibs

I thought that the part of the reason we played those 2 weak Spanish teams pre-season was to allow us to practice the high press. Tonight was an ideal chance to use it as Cambridge did not look that great passing it out from the back.
Because we didn't press high they had an easy out and looked much better than us going forward.

We did.
For about 20mins of 1st half.

Then forgot about it!

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:36 - Aug 13 with 2061 viewsstainrods_elbow

Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:31 - Aug 13 by rbee

You have to protect the likes of Cook, Colback, Nardi in games like this, I was surprised that Andersen played.

Somebody reminded Marti that he could make five substitutions so he enjoyed himself. Very strange team that ended the game but the new boys got some minutes. Should we progress in the competition then you would see a stronger starting eleven I think.

I'm glad he did - most of the rest of us certainly didn't! He was a lucky manager tonight, and hopefully he knows it.

Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:36 - Aug 13 with 2076 viewsQPR_Hibs

Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:34 - Aug 13 by A40Bosh

We did.
For about 20mins of 1st half.

Then forgot about it!

Fair enough. I actually missed the first 20 minutes!

"Remember to listen to me but look at her. Don't get it the wrong way round. That would be hideous."

Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:39 - Aug 13 with 2027 viewsrbee

Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:36 - Aug 13 by stainrods_elbow

I'm glad he did - most of the rest of us certainly didn't! He was a lucky manager tonight, and hopefully he knows it.

Why lucky? Do you think Cambridge were the better team over the ninety minutes?
Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:41 - Aug 13 with 2005 viewsbosh67

I'm reading through a lot of this and would like to remind everyone that we actually won the game! I could understand the shouting and wringing of hands if we lost but we actually did something we haven't done in 3 years in this competition and won a game. Cheer the f*ck up!

Never knowingly right.

Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:42 - Aug 13 with 1987 viewsJuzzie

Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:19 - Aug 13 by bosh67

Anyone who had the misfortune of watching us lose to Vauxhall Motors should be very pleased we actually won what could have been a very tricky game away from home. We won but always remember the ghost of Vauxhall Motors. That is all!

The follow on from that awful night was six straight league wins and just two league defeats for the rest of the season. Often forgotten.
A bit like the guy who turned the Beatles but signed the Rolling Stones.
Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:42 - Aug 13 with 1972 viewsstainrods_elbow

Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:39 - Aug 13 by rbee

Why lucky? Do you think Cambridge were the better team over the ninety minutes?

They were certainly easily the better team in the 2nd half, and should have won the game comfortably, as I've said. Overall, they had more possession, more shots, and a bucketload more cohesion, craft and clarity. We scored one good goal, and that was about it.
[Post edited 13 Aug 22:47]

Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:52 - Aug 13 with 1866 viewsQPR_Hibs

Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:42 - Aug 13 by Juzzie

The follow on from that awful night was six straight league wins and just two league defeats for the rest of the season. Often forgotten.

Yeah but The Beatles are miles better than The Rolling Stones.

Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:54 - Aug 13 with 1836 viewsrbee

Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:42 - Aug 13 by stainrods_elbow

They were certainly easily the better team in the 2nd half, and should have won the game comfortably, as I've said. Overall, they had more possession, more shots, and a bucketload more cohesion, craft and clarity. We scored one good goal, and that was about it.
[Post edited 13 Aug 22:47]

I can't agree with should of won the game easily. The match stats show a very even game other than possession. Cambridge are only in the division below us and were the home team so at some point you are going to come under some sort of pressure.

We did enough in the first half to win the game. Of course Marti won't be happy with how the game ended but I would say that is to do with Marti's substitutions and team set up, he certainly needs to look at himself there.

If someone had told you before the game that we would finish the game with Dykes in midfield then you would have expected problems.
Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:59 - Aug 13 with 1761 viewscolinallcars

Cambridge- the carabao cup adventure starts here - match thread on 22:42 - Aug 13 by Juzzie

Unlike me, who turned down the Rolling Stones and signed Le Quintette D'alcoholique.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024