Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Non QPR - Barcelona Trip Advice 20:18 - Aug 7 with 2125 viewsNoDiddley

Looking to take the missus on a short break & thinking of Barca, thing is I don't do old relics is there plenty to do & see?
Also she's a sun seeker so is there a beach suited for bathing?
Cheers
Non QPR - Barcelona Trip Advice on 20:54 - Aug 7 with 1759 viewsLofthope

Really is a good short stay city. I don't do old relics, but would still recommend the Goudi archirecture. Plenty to do including a beach. Even took my missus to see Barca play.
Highly recommend it whatever your tastes IMO.
Non QPR - Barcelona Trip Advice on 20:57 - Aug 7 with 1748 viewswombat

Non QPR - Barcelona Trip Advice on 20:54 - Aug 7 by Lofthope

Really is a good short stay city. I don't do old relics, but would still recommend the Goudi archirecture. Plenty to do including a beach. Even took my missus to see Barca play.
Highly recommend it whatever your tastes IMO.

Great place for a weekender expensive on las ramblas though and watch out for pick pockets at night in that area .

And check to see if barca are playing that weekend as well if not do the stadium tour it's superb

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Non QPR - Barcelona Trip Advice on 20:59 - Aug 7 with 1745 viewsBlackCrowe

Hotel Jazz (sh:t name) is fab...very plush 3 star right close to Ramblas and all the pedestrian streets etc. Can't recommend it enough - double rooms about £100 from memory and very good value.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Non QPR - Barcelona Trip Advice on 21:11 - Aug 7 with 1735 viewseastside_r

In my opinion this city has everything. I’ve been 7 or 8 times.

I do do relics and museums but there is so much to see and do. Yes, it does have its own beaches.

As Lofthope says you really have to experience Gaudi. I didn’t get it when I first went because you’re automatically drawn to Familia Sagrada which I don’t think is the best example of his work. I’d go for Casa Battlo.

The Bus turistic is a good idea for the first day, because you get a flavour of the city then you can go and see what takes your fancy on the next couple of days. The public transport system is excellent and cheap.

I really could not recommend Barcelona highly enough.
Non QPR - Barcelona Trip Advice on 21:30 - Aug 7 with 1717 viewsMonahoop

Barcelona is a great city for a short break. Was there last year. It's probably better than many European capital cities. There are loads of guides on Barcelona which will help you decide on places to see and things to do.

There are good beaches there if you like lounging around in the sun. Be beware of Asian ladies offering massages while you relax. They will rub you with one hand and rob you with the other. They normally prey on lone bathers with American accents though so I'm told.

The Ramblas is the place where most tourists congregate. It's tacky, tense and overcrowded and a pick pockets paradise so don't draw attention to yourself. A five minute gander there was enough for me. In fact Barcelona is the pick pocket capital of Europe but don't let that put you off. Just take precautions and be alert.

If you like eating out the best places are just off the touristy areas and down town areas. It's where most locals eat. Don't worry if you can't speak Spanish or Catalan, most restaurants I went to understood a bit of English. Good tapas and seafood restaurants can be had. Avoid the sea front establishments or ones near the Ramblas where restaurant waiters try to press gang you into eating in their places or where large boards display deceiving menus in five different languages. They are expensive and the food looks iffy.

To get around use buses or the metro. They are cheap and reliable but watch those pockets and bags! The tourist bus options are good and allow you to get on and off at various destinations to explore.

As a football fan you should check out the Nou Camp. Doesn't look much from the outside, but inside is something else.

Enjoy your trip!

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Non QPR - Barcelona Trip Advice on 21:48 - Aug 7 with 1699 viewsgueRRilla

Was pretty disappointed with it myself. But it was my last stop after a 3 week interrailing binge of Paris-Lille-Amsterdam-Berlin-Warsaw-Prague-Munich-Bern-Geneva so wrecked isn't even the term. Plus I met a bunch of lads there and we drank all day every day so my memory is a little hazy.

The Gaudi cathedral thing is definitely worth it. Don't go swimming, the water is filthy. A few mates went to the aquarium and said it was great. As mentioned, Las Ramblas can be a bit dodgy but do investigate at night (while keeping firm hold of your belongings!).
Non QPR - Barcelona Trip Advice on 21:48 - Aug 7 with 1699 viewsAmancalledhorse

Wonderful city! One of the finest cities in the world!
Non QPR - Barcelona Trip Advice on 22:20 - Aug 7 with 1660 viewssmegma

I got back 4 hours ago !!!!!

One of the best cities in the world. The hop on /off open top tourist bus costs 24 euros each and takes you all over the city and shows you things you may miss as a a pedestrian. The Gaudi architecture is outstanding and the guided tour bus tells you all about each building. The only places worth getting off the bus are Sagrada Familia , Parc Guell and the Olympic Stadium/Mont Juic. Esp[anyol used to play there but they've built a new stadium out by the airport. They just played Barca in the Catalunya cup at the Olympic stadium.You may want to get off at Camp Nou as well but we didn't bother as its like going to OT with all the toursits buying tat in the clubshop.Tickets for Barcas games were on sale all over the city, we saw about ten different places selling them.

The Ramblas is a waste of space in my opinion but the back streets off it (Barrio Gotic ) is worth a visit and if your missus like shopping she'll love it.The road from Camp Nou back to the centre is called shopping mile (or something similar) with literally tons of top fashion house shops etc.....

The area down at the docks/waterfront is stunning with loads of restaurants /bars .
There are beaches nearby to the city but I didn't visit as we were staying on the Costa Brava one hour north of the city.
Login to get fewer ads

Non QPR - Barcelona Trip Advice on 22:21 - Aug 7 with 1660 viewsSonofNorfolt

Overrated IMO, Las Ramblas is a terrible street, Valencia is a much better city for a w/end break.
Non QPR - Barcelona Trip Advice on 22:33 - Aug 7 with 1643 viewsW14Hoop

Love the place and I have had good and bad experiences there.
As mentioned you do have to have your wits about you along the Ramblas even during the day.
Check out the indoor market along there, great food available.

In the evenings get a cab and go to the the area called el born, really good restaurants and bars which the locals use,much much cheaper and friendlier than Ramblas.

If you're into bikes check out the little bar on the avenue Paral.lel,nice little den to relax in.
Do the Barca tour. Who would have thought someone would manage little ol QPR then move onto Barca
Non QPR - Barcelona Trip Advice on 22:39 - Aug 7 with 1633 viewsbishom

Great city to visit. Barrio Gotic is my favourite area, a warren of narrow lanes to get lost in. La Bocqueria Food Market is fantastic and good for tapas.
If you want to eat cheaply but well, go to restaurants away from the tourist hotspots at midday and ask for the Menu Del Dai, a set meal for a fixed price usually with wine.

Bishom

Non QPR - Barcelona Trip Advice on 22:40 - Aug 7 with 1632 viewseastside_r

Non QPR - Barcelona Trip Advice on 22:21 - Aug 7 by SonofNorfolt

Overrated IMO, Las Ramblas is a terrible street, Valencia is a much better city for a w/end break.

Agree Las Ramblas is awful but harsh to judge the place on one street (small area.)

Not been to Valencia so maybe will check it out.

Given you football diaries I completely understand your problem with the big two football-wise, but Barcelona has got so much to offer even if you hate football.
Non QPR - Barcelona Trip Advice on 22:57 - Aug 7 with 1613 viewsSonofNorfolt

Non QPR - Barcelona Trip Advice on 22:40 - Aug 7 by eastside_r

Agree Las Ramblas is awful but harsh to judge the place on one street (small area.)

Not been to Valencia so maybe will check it out.

Given you football diaries I completely understand your problem with the big two football-wise, but Barcelona has got so much to offer even if you hate football.

It's not shiit, but like San Francisco, when I first went I thought is this it?
I've been 4 times, and it has some great parts, but is a bit over touristy. Still haven't been to Espanyol's new ground yet.

Try Valencia or San Sebastian for a route less well travelled.
Non QPR - Barcelona Trip Advice on 23:08 - Aug 7 with 1596 viewsOakwoodR

Personally not keen as I was robbed there 18 months ago. It really is a thieves hotspot as the queue of tourists waiting to report crimes at the police station proved.
Non QPR - Barcelona Trip Advice on 05:10 - Aug 8 with 1544 viewswood_hoop

Non QPR - Barcelona Trip Advice on 22:21 - Aug 7 by SonofNorfolt

Been to both , different cities and different vibes, Valencia also my preference but Barcelona still a great place.

Las Ramblas is what it is, a tourist trap, go during the day time and does not seem so seedy as at night, still not what you might call elegant but neither is Camden Town and that's a tourist trap nowadays.

Good tip in posts regarding tourist bus, as in most cities more thieves per square yard than in a country village but take the usual precautions and you should be fine.

The waterfront is cool, plenty of places to eat and wide choice of prices, more authentic maybe in the back streets but not over looking the sea, had a big screen set up near the beach when I was there a couple of years ago, showing live concerts from one of the big venues in town, wide range of shows, rock to opera.

Boat trip is good, board near Columbus Statue at bottom of Ramblas, good views of city as it does a round trip down the coast.
Non QPR - Barcelona Trip Advice on 08:35 - Aug 8 with 1493 viewsHarbour

Even if you do not do old relics go to the Sangrada Familia its awsome. Plenty to do in the rest of the city and you can also get to the beach easily via the metro we have been twice had a great time make sure you do the Nou Camp tour thats great food drink good to but a bit expensive. Watch your cash wallet etc lots of pick pockets on my 2nd visit I was mugged coming out of the metro about 9 at night not hurt other tham pride the guy pretends to drop his phone on the escalator in front of me I fall over him and is mate behind takes my wallet out of my pocket.. after that I never went out with my wallet just cash. Barca is well known for this type of crime
Non QPR - Barcelona Trip Advice on 09:35 - Aug 8 with 1465 viewstinhead

Non QPR - Barcelona Trip Advice on 22:20 - Aug 7 by smegma

I got back 4 hours ago !!!!!

One of the best cities in the world. The hop on /off open top tourist bus costs 24 euros each and takes you all over the city and shows you things you may miss as a a pedestrian. The Gaudi architecture is outstanding and the guided tour bus tells you all about each building. The only places worth getting off the bus are Sagrada Familia , Parc Guell and the Olympic Stadium/Mont Juic. Esp[anyol used to play there but they've built a new stadium out by the airport. They just played Barca in the Catalunya cup at the Olympic stadium.You may want to get off at Camp Nou as well but we didn't bother as its like going to OT with all the toursits buying tat in the clubshop.Tickets for Barcas games were on sale all over the city, we saw about ten different places selling them.

The Ramblas is a waste of space in my opinion but the back streets off it (Barrio Gotic ) is worth a visit and if your missus like shopping she'll love it.The road from Camp Nou back to the centre is called shopping mile (or something similar) with literally tons of top fashion house shops etc.....

The area down at the docks/waterfront is stunning with loads of restaurants /bars .
There are beaches nearby to the city but I didn't visit as we were staying on the Costa Brava one hour north of the city.

I've been 6 or 7 times and this is pretty spot on!

Puny God!

Non QPR - Barcelona Trip Advice on 10:26 - Aug 8 with 1448 viewsBrightonhoop

Strongly recommended. As well as the Gaudi Cathedral and Parc Guell, which is just mad, in town go see the Picasson Museum and the Jéan Miro Foundation at Mont Juic, plus the Nue Camp. Try and get off the tourist drag of La Ramblas, described in one Lonely Planet type guide, very accurately, as the last refuge of the talentless....
And watch them pickpockets. They operate in pairs on a distraction basis, one approaches you with a map whilst his mate helps himself to your wallet, so just tell them to fck off. If you're driving, watch out for the old 'meester, you're tyres flat.' Thi one actually happened to me, distracted with wife and kids in tow having just loaded cses et al into the car boot, his mate was into the boot in no time, and I was onto him in no time. His mate kept his distance but the other fcker went running the wrong way around a parked lorry so I had time to pick my spot nd flattened the see you next tuesday. My little girl said 'Good one Dad, now let's get out of here.'
Time permitting take the train up to Figueres for the Dali Museum too.
Non QPR - Barcelona Trip Advice on 11:04 - Aug 8 with 1427 viewsbabygravy

Go to Madrid, mate. Less touristy, less pretencious, cheaper, loads and loads of bars and great places to eat. Plenty of parks and galleries if that's your sort of thing. If you want to do something different with your missus highly recommend the Medina Mayrit "Arab Baths" You can have treatments or just "chill" in the different pools or staem room. Slap bank in the centre of Madrid, Calle Atocha near Plaza Mayor. You can pay on the day. Have a look at the website. Madrilenos are very friendly as well. Very hot in the summer monthsbut, it's a dry heat. As I say plenty of watering holes to cool down in!!
Non QPR - Barcelona Trip Advice on 11:10 - Aug 8 with 1416 viewsMedwayR

Non QPR - Barcelona Trip Advice on 11:04 - Aug 8 by babygravy

Go to Madrid, mate. Less touristy, less pretencious, cheaper, loads and loads of bars and great places to eat. Plenty of parks and galleries if that's your sort of thing. If you want to do something different with your missus highly recommend the Medina Mayrit "Arab Baths" You can have treatments or just "chill" in the different pools or staem room. Slap bank in the centre of Madrid, Calle Atocha near Plaza Mayor. You can pay on the day. Have a look at the website. Madrilenos are very friendly as well. Very hot in the summer monthsbut, it's a dry heat. As I say plenty of watering holes to cool down in!!

Have to agree that Madrid is better, I'd happily go back to Madrid at the drop of a hat, had a fantastic weekend there.

Lovely city, great weather, beautiful women, lots of decent bars/restaurants etc, good nightlife, friendly, 2 big football clubs too (I prefer Atletico to Real...) and some smaller football clubs too, good but cheap transport (11euros spent on the metro for the entire weekend!!).

Hoping to go back in March for Atletico Madrid v Valencia

Poll: Who’s better?

Non QPR - Barcelona Trip Advice on 11:28 - Aug 8 with 1401 viewseastside_r

Non QPR - Barcelona Trip Advice on 11:10 - Aug 8 by MedwayR

Have to agree that Madrid is better, I'd happily go back to Madrid at the drop of a hat, had a fantastic weekend there.

Lovely city, great weather, beautiful women, lots of decent bars/restaurants etc, good nightlife, friendly, 2 big football clubs too (I prefer Atletico to Real...) and some smaller football clubs too, good but cheap transport (11euros spent on the metro for the entire weekend!!).

Hoping to go back in March for Atletico Madrid v Valencia

Have to disagree Barcelona is much better than Madrid.
Non QPR - Barcelona Trip Advice on 11:51 - Aug 8 with 1390 viewsKonk

Non QPR - Barcelona Trip Advice on 11:28 - Aug 8 by eastside_r

Have to disagree Barcelona is much better than Madrid.

I'd choose Madrid over Barcelona too. Much nicer people, just as much interesting stuff to do, it's cheaper, less thieving and less British folk on the pop. Also, you get to watch the mighty Rayo Vallecano in the afternoon and then Atleti or RM in the evening if you plan it right. Nice little side trips to Toledo and Segovia too.

I found the people in Barcelona a bit ars ey, so I didn't really warm to the place, but it's obviously a decent spot for a weekender. Agree with recommendations for Valencia and San Sebastian*, and would lob in Seville and Bilbao too - athough you're not getting a beach in the last two.

*Best food in Spain - absolutely amazing.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Non QPR - Barcelona Trip Advice on 11:58 - Aug 8 with 1379 viewsballbag

Non QPR - Barcelona Trip Advice on 11:51 - Aug 8 by Konk

I'd choose Madrid over Barcelona too. Much nicer people, just as much interesting stuff to do, it's cheaper, less thieving and less British folk on the pop. Also, you get to watch the mighty Rayo Vallecano in the afternoon and then Atleti or RM in the evening if you plan it right. Nice little side trips to Toledo and Segovia too.

I found the people in Barcelona a bit ars ey, so I didn't really warm to the place, but it's obviously a decent spot for a weekender. Agree with recommendations for Valencia and San Sebastian*, and would lob in Seville and Bilbao too - athough you're not getting a beach in the last two.

*Best food in Spain - absolutely amazing.

You can get the tube to the beach in Bilbao.
Non QPR - Barcelona Trip Advice on 12:00 - Aug 8 with 1375 viewsrobith

Love it - been a couple of times as I went to Primaerva Sound festival (this year they opened a new leg in Porto so went there, also brilliant)

Yeah Ramblas is crap and you'll get robbed, but it's no different to Leicester Square or Times Square or any other tourist trap in a major city. But just off of it is wonderful, cobbled medieval streets, loads of top food everywhere.

Eat your main meal at lunch and you can eat like an absolute king for peanuts.

Drink Estrella constantly, everywhere.

Barceloneta is great for beach and cheap seafood.

Passeig Del Born for late night cocktails

Bar Marsella - 18th century preserved absinthe bar. Wonderful place (of what I can vaguely remember before my gf dragged me home from the gutter outside)

Would also recommend a day trip to Montserrat. Train trip is 20 euro return including the cable car up the mountain. The cathedral and the mountain walks looking over Catalunya are stunning.

Only downsides - so much petty theft (though props to the police for finding my gf's phone and e-mailing me, her and the people we booked our apartment through so we got it back) and Barcelonins are pretty rude
Non QPR - Barcelona Trip Advice on 12:01 - Aug 8 with 1375 viewsKonk

Non QPR - Barcelona Trip Advice on 11:58 - Aug 8 by ballbag

You can get the tube to the beach in Bilbao.

True. I know there's great beaches between there and San Sebastian, but I thought the beaches in Bilbao's limits were meant to be a bit minging due to the industry? Are have I got that wrong?

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024