Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Asmir Begovic 23:59 - Jul 11 with 29441 viewsaston_hoop

Better than Jordan Archer to be fair

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Asmir Begovic on 12:43 - Jul 12 with 3713 viewsPunteR

Asmir Begovic on 12:18 - Jul 12 by E17hoop

I'd be fairly certain it's not about the money. He's opening a new soccer school in Chiswick and planning for retirement. We're convenient - he can train and then head there and less of a pain in the árse than to hack to Lu'on.

I think you were spot on before - one year, keep us up, find someone better. He gets a year to build his soccer schools for a year before he retires.

Hasn't he just been on Ben Fosters podcast?. Haven't heard it yet but that might give some clue to his plans.
He's obviously a decent keeper so I havnt got an issue with him between the sticks. Does slightly surprise me given our finances though. We do seem to give players in their twilight years their last pay day. Seems just a thing we do.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Asmir Begovic on 12:46 - Jul 12 with 3682 viewskensalriser

Asmir Begovic on 12:42 - Jul 12 by Antti_Heinola

It sounds ridiculous, but I don't think it's that far-fetched. You get a lot of very decent keepers in the Prem on huge salaries who are basically reserves who never play. Begovic has been doing that for a while now, has 2-4 years left of a career, it's not that ridiculous that he wants to play first team football again, and to do that he will take a hefty pay cut. He would have been on a fortune at Chelsea, so he should have enough to have a comfortable life forever if he wants. Plus, I imagine he'll be on £10k pw with us, minimum. Half a mill a year isn't bad is it?

There's the other rather obvious factor that a player of his age at the end of his contract is not going to get another similar contract from a PL side, so what he was on is now all but irrelevant.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Asmir Begovic on 13:00 - Jul 12 with 3554 viewsQPR_Jim

I'm not so sure this is the "one last year" some seem to think. He's turning 37 but there is at least 1 older first choice keeper in the premier league that I can think of (Fabianski). So perhaps he's thinking 2-3 years.

At this stage a longer term contract might benefit both parties as we could potentially offer less wages over a longer period which would be more security and a higher overall value of contract to the player but lower annual cost to our budget.
Asmir Begovic on 13:10 - Jul 12 with 3455 viewsGloucs_R

People questioning why he would come here and the salary.

He's been a goalkeeper for the past 15 years and is no doubt a multimillionaire in his own right.

We've given him the opportunity to come and live in the southeast, probably somewhere beautiful like Windsor, Ascot or the leafy Surrey suburbs.

He gets to train at a state of the art training facility every day, picks up his 7K a week and I would guess there are probably bonuses based on performance and if we stay up.

He'll be first choice so we'll play every game when he's fit. Realistically what has he got, another 2 years left as a senior pro?

Overall, not a bad deal for a multimillionaire who's coming to the end of his playing career. A win-win for both parties.

Arguably an upgrade on dieng as well, which would really be good business if true.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Asmir Begovic on 13:17 - Jul 12 with 3385 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Under the current financial circumstances, a 1-year-deal for a proven keeper with a good attitude who is available on a free is a sensible move.
Asmir Begovic on 13:18 - Jul 12 with 3375 viewsAndybrat

Massively better and as mentioned earlier a great potential mentor for the whole defence and our young gun keepers. As an ex keeper myself I know u hit your peak after 30, not all about flash saves. All about organising and being heard, where he is definitely better than Seny is today
Asmir Begovic on 13:25 - Jul 12 with 3299 viewsdontknowitall

Asmir Begovic on 13:10 - Jul 12 by Gloucs_R

People questioning why he would come here and the salary.

He's been a goalkeeper for the past 15 years and is no doubt a multimillionaire in his own right.

We've given him the opportunity to come and live in the southeast, probably somewhere beautiful like Windsor, Ascot or the leafy Surrey suburbs.

He gets to train at a state of the art training facility every day, picks up his 7K a week and I would guess there are probably bonuses based on performance and if we stay up.

He'll be first choice so we'll play every game when he's fit. Realistically what has he got, another 2 years left as a senior pro?

Overall, not a bad deal for a multimillionaire who's coming to the end of his playing career. A win-win for both parties.

Arguably an upgrade on dieng as well, which would really be good business if true.

And from from a business point of view, if he is indeed opening a soccer school in Chiswick, what better sales spiel than saying that I have got an 'in' at one of the most local professional football clubs, the mighty Queens Park Rangers.....
Asmir Begovic on 13:32 - Jul 12 with 3216 viewsLandshark

I'm not sure why some people are anti this transfer. Those who are against it please find me a better keeper on a free transfer (which is our budget).

He has lots of experience and seems like a good bloke. 36 is not an old age for a goalkeeper. The defenders at the club will have lots of confidence in him.
Login to get fewer ads

Asmir Begovic on 13:43 - Jul 12 with 3134 viewssparkey

Asmir Begovic on 13:32 - Jul 12 by Landshark

I'm not sure why some people are anti this transfer. Those who are against it please find me a better keeper on a free transfer (which is our budget).

He has lots of experience and seems like a good bloke. 36 is not an old age for a goalkeeper. The defenders at the club will have lots of confidence in him.

Really struggling to understand the negativity on this one.

A far greater goalie I ever expected we could pull on our budget, and on a free after we just received £2m for our under performing goalie.
Asmir Begovic on 13:44 - Jul 12 with 3108 viewsE17hoop

Asmir Begovic on 13:25 - Jul 12 by dontknowitall

And from from a business point of view, if he is indeed opening a soccer school in Chiswick, what better sales spiel than saying that I have got an 'in' at one of the most local professional football clubs, the mighty Queens Park Rangers.....

For those interested:

Pop along and ask him how long he's staying for. It's at Kings House Sports Ground in Chiswick.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2023 13:45]

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Who do you want as next Next England manager?

Asmir Begovic on 13:55 - Jul 12 with 3007 viewsAntti_Heinola

Asmir Begovic on 13:43 - Jul 12 by sparkey

Really struggling to understand the negativity on this one.

A far greater goalie I ever expected we could pull on our budget, and on a free after we just received £2m for our under performing goalie.

Agree - he won't be free though. We might not pay Everton anything, but any 'free' transfer comes with a signing on fee.

Bare bones.

Asmir Begovic on 14:13 - Jul 12 with 2898 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Asmir Begovic on 12:42 - Jul 12 by Antti_Heinola

It sounds ridiculous, but I don't think it's that far-fetched. You get a lot of very decent keepers in the Prem on huge salaries who are basically reserves who never play. Begovic has been doing that for a while now, has 2-4 years left of a career, it's not that ridiculous that he wants to play first team football again, and to do that he will take a hefty pay cut. He would have been on a fortune at Chelsea, so he should have enough to have a comfortable life forever if he wants. Plus, I imagine he'll be on £10k pw with us, minimum. Half a mill a year isn't bad is it?

Didn't think we'd be dishing out £10k a week contracts this summer. Especially when Dave Mac reports we want to sign the Wycombe centre half but basically can't afford to pay any form of transfer fee.

To re-iterate, I like the thought of him as our #1 next year as he brings some much needed experience and leadership. He comes across incredibly well in interviews. I'm just very surprised ours is his best offer.
Asmir Begovic on 14:22 - Jul 12 with 2840 viewssimmo

The Begovic deal only looks good because our current options are so bad.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Asmir Begovic on 14:41 - Jul 12 with 2696 viewsDavieQPR

If he does sign it will more than likely be on a similar deal to Foster. Only training 2-3 days leaving him time for his school.
Asmir Begovic on 14:50 - Jul 12 with 2642 views100percent

Asmir Begovic on 12:18 - Jul 12 by E17hoop

I'd be fairly certain it's not about the money. He's opening a new soccer school in Chiswick and planning for retirement. We're convenient - he can train and then head there and less of a pain in the árse than to hack to Lu'on.

I think you were spot on before - one year, keep us up, find someone better. He gets a year to build his soccer schools for a year before he retires.

perhaps it's this plus the club have offered him a coaching role later on....?
I can't see anything negative about this signing. Agreed, he is not the age group we are reported to be pursuing but he's a very good, experienced keeper, very adept at dominating his box and will be a massive positive influence on the young defenders.
I also see his school as a real positive for identifying local talent early.... something that he will be very quick to promote if the school is having success in signing young players...
Asmir Begovic on 15:06 - Jul 12 with 2543 viewsflynnbo

Reminds me of the time Gerry bought Ludo as a Christmas present. Similar age (Ludo not Gerry!).
Asmir Begovic on 15:07 - Jul 12 with 2534 viewskensalriser

Asmir Begovic on 14:50 - Jul 12 by 100percent

I can't see anything negative about this signing. Agreed, he is not the age group we are reported to be pursuing but he's a very good, experienced keeper, very adept at dominating his box and will be a massive positive influence on the young defenders.
I also see his school as a real positive for identifying local talent early.... something that he will be very quick to promote if the school is having success in signing young players...

What chance is there of an independent football academy finding 16-19 year olds good enough for Championship standard?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Asmir Begovic on 15:41 - Jul 12 with 2370 viewsE17hoop

Asmir Begovic on 14:50 - Jul 12 by 100percent

He's passed his UEFA badges and has put off coaching because he wants to play for a couple of years more (local paper story somewhere).

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Who do you want as next Next England manager?

Asmir Begovic on 15:56 - Jul 12 with 2297 views100percent

Asmir Begovic on 15:07 - Jul 12 by kensalriser

What chance is there of an independent football academy finding 16-19 year olds good enough for Championship standard?

where did I mention he was going to be finding 16 - 19 year olds good enough for championship standard?
Asmir Begovic on 15:58 - Jul 12 with 2269 viewsdenhamhoop2

I would be very positive if this comes to pass for the following reasons a) He has proven to be a good consistent steady keeper over a good period b) In Gazball his ability to launch the ball will be an asset and played for Pulis at Stoke so very versed in it c) His ability to shithouse when at Bournemouth will be very important should we somehow nick a lead in game and most importantly d) HE'S NOT JORDAN ARCHER who would be a good keeper if he didn't have to save the ball from time to time
Asmir Begovic on 16:22 - Jul 12 with 2104 viewsfrancisbowles

Asmir Begovic on 15:07 - Jul 12 by kensalriser

Eze was about to start at Tesco when we signed him.

It's sometimes fine margins that mean young players are given chances or released. Some who have been kept on stop developing and others who have been released come back later as an improved player.
Asmir Begovic on 16:25 - Jul 12 with 2080 viewsCateLeBonR

1.99m according to Wiki which is about 6 feet 6 inches in old money I think. Obviously he’s not quite Peter Crouch levels but could he be our tallest ever goalkeeper?
Asmir Begovic on 16:35 - Jul 12 with 1995 viewsdsw2509

Works for me. I never expected we could someone this good. It looks like he had a reason to be in the area so that’s also good.

It’s to his credit that he’d rather play regularly than get splinters in his backside somewhere else.
Asmir Begovic on 16:35 - Jul 12 with 1995 viewsNorthantsHoop

Decent signing if it comes off.
Asmir Begovic on 17:06 - Jul 12 with 1840 viewsSakura

Asmir Begovic on 13:55 - Jul 12 by Antti_Heinola

Agree - he won't be free though. We might not pay Everton anything, but any 'free' transfer comes with a signing on fee.

Mr glass half empty coming in with in my view a nonsensical take.

In what way does a “signing on fee” matter?!

He is being offered a package for one year whether you slit that into a signing on bonus or a consistent weekly wage it obviously doesn’t matter. The end number is still the same
[Post edited 12 Jul 2023 17:34]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024