Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Asmir Begovic 23:59 - Jul 11 with 28442 viewsaston_hoop

Better than Jordan Archer to be fair

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Asmir Begovic on 09:39 - Jul 12 with 3183 viewsterryb

Asmir Begovic on 08:18 - Jul 12 by Sakura

Also worth adding he scores better goals than Seny…

[Post edited 12 Jul 2023 8:22]

Gareth football at it's best!

I will definitely be happier with Begovic in goal for us than any 'keeper that we currently have available.

Hopefully Mahoney will have an outstanding season at Swindon & come back ready to take over.
Asmir Begovic on 09:48 - Jul 12 with 3094 viewsPaddyhoops

Sadly we’re running to stand still as a club at the moment.
It’s not saying much for our development system that the three we have aren’t deemed good.enough. Begovich will do a job for us and has bags of experience.
He has a few years left in him if Buffon is anything to go by.
Nobody will be over the moon if he comes but what’s the alternative?
Asmir Begovic on 09:49 - Jul 12 with 3081 viewsstantheman10

Asmir Begovic on 09:16 - Jul 12 by Northernr

It was a joke mate. We were inevitably going to do something like this - as much as you can get for Dieng, replace him with a short term cheap option for one year, hope we stay up, then look to buy something better next summer. It's still fcking depressing though, no?

All very depressing. Burridge probably still better than Archer. Joking aside I know it's not the way the club should be going signing veterans but I'd rather have an older proven keeper for this coming season as we are going to need all the experience we can get. Hopefully Walsh, Murphy-Mahoney or Salamon will come good over the next year.
Asmir Begovic on 09:51 - Jul 12 with 3051 viewsBAWHoops

I suppose it makes sense. Not a position to dick around with so an experienced keeper comes in whilst Walsh and Mahoney go out on loan.
If they have halfway decent seasons they can fight it out to be No 1 next year.
But for now this is fine

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Asmir Begovic on 09:58 - Jul 12 with 2990 viewsrobith

Seems like a savvy move to be, bank the Seny money for a year and he's decent as a stop gap goes.

Gaz and Dobbo have a good track record at Wycombe of giving a platform for older pros, I saw Mawson and Vokes turning out for them last season
Asmir Begovic on 10:04 - Jul 12 with 2942 viewsMonkey_Roots

Makes sense.

An experienced keeper to help the defence in front of him.

I wish we were able to blood a youngster but, as someone rightly posted earlier, this season is all about survival. For me, this season is also about laying new foundations for the 2024/25 season and beyond — reestablishing a plan, a strategy, and for the love of all that is holy - sticking to it.
Asmir Begovic on 10:06 - Jul 12 with 2913 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

I don't understand this one.

I'd be pretty elated to have him for the experience, leadership etc.

But what has he been earning at Stoke, Chelsea, Bournemouth and Everton? I'd be amazed if his salary has ever dipped below £30k a week. Just doesn't add up for me at all.
Asmir Begovic on 10:10 - Jul 12 with 2870 viewsNorthernr

Asmir Begovic on 10:06 - Jul 12 by Padulas_Shampoo

But what has he been earning at Stoke, Chelsea, Bournemouth and Everton? I'd be amazed if his salary has ever dipped below £30k a week. Just doesn't add up for me at all.

I wondered that. Have we perhaps tempted him with more than a one-year deal, which is obviously great security at his age? We'll find out shortly I guess.
Login to get fewer ads

Asmir Begovic on 10:11 - Jul 12 with 2852 viewsMonkey_Roots

Asmir Begovic on 10:06 - Jul 12 by Padulas_Shampoo

Without knowing anything at all, I'm speculating that he has taken a hefty reduction in salary for the chance to play week in, week out as his career winds down - this is probably his last chance at doing so.

Luton probably offered him a nice salary, but without the guarantee of playing time.

As I said though, I know nothing, I'm guessing.
Asmir Begovic on 10:20 - Jul 12 with 2785 viewsdaveB

Never really rated him but needs must and all that, on a free if his wages are not too high it makes a lot of sense

One thing I am concerned about with all this is that although we of course need stop gaps whilst cutting the wages as we did under Holloway you also need to bring in a few players to develop who will be sellable in a few years. For all the Alex Baptisties, Joel Lynch, Scowen types in that era we also brought in manning, bright, Chair and Eze so once you come out the other side you have something to build on and sell on.

I'm concerned we're going all in on the stop gaps rather than try and do both
Asmir Begovic on 10:21 - Jul 12 with 2786 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Asmir Begovic on 10:11 - Jul 12 by Monkey_Roots

Without knowing anything at all, I'm speculating that he has taken a hefty reduction in salary for the chance to play week in, week out as his career winds down - this is probably his last chance at doing so.

Luton probably offered him a nice salary, but without the guarantee of playing time.

As I said though, I know nothing, I'm guessing.

Well... I'd love to believe that.

But if he was earning even £30 - 40k a week at Everton he'd surely be having to take a 90% pay cut to come here?

I'm not sure I can think of a single precedent in the history of football for that sort of a move. I'd love to believe it but smells very fishy to me.
Asmir Begovic on 10:34 - Jul 12 with 2719 viewsBlue_Castello

Asmir Begovic on 10:20 - Jul 12 by daveB

Never really rated him but needs must and all that, on a free if his wages are not too high it makes a lot of sense

One thing I am concerned about with all this is that although we of course need stop gaps whilst cutting the wages as we did under Holloway you also need to bring in a few players to develop who will be sellable in a few years. For all the Alex Baptisties, Joel Lynch, Scowen types in that era we also brought in manning, bright, Chair and Eze so once you come out the other side you have something to build on and sell on.

Agreed we are all concerned about whether he can fit into our wage structure but I'm guessing Hoos is very experienced at doing deals and contracts and is fully aware of the budgetary parameters within which we have to work, maybe we give him a small ish signing on fee which keeps the wages within our structure.
This has a bit of a Paddy Kenny signing about it where Uncle Neil was very clever at mixing up his squad with older and younger players and to be fair some who we thought were well past it and wouldn't be good enough.

As for the younger and older players issue I think Gareth is fully aware he needs a mixture, he has effectively brought in Richards this year although that was an existing commitment and signed Smyth and Larkeche, so there's at least two there already who are young and we are hoping to improve....
Asmir Begovic on 10:37 - Jul 12 with 2701 viewsNorthernr

Asmir Begovic on 10:20 - Jul 12 by daveB

You and me both. I think that's just a product of how tight we are on budget this summer though, as I've said a time or two

Let's assess at the end of the window I guess. The more players we can shift for money the more budget space it frees up.
Asmir Begovic on 10:39 - Jul 12 with 2686 viewsqprcmob

Asmir Begovic on 07:38 - Jul 12 by BklynRanger

He probably wants to stay active in his twilight years.

"Oh don't worry, you'll be active..."

He'll have the most active season of his career, at the end of the season he'll either be the fittest he's ever been or completely knackered out and ready for retirement
Asmir Begovic on 10:40 - Jul 12 with 2681 viewsdaveB

Asmir Begovic on 10:34 - Jul 12 by Blue_Castello

Agreed we are all concerned about whether he can fit into our wage structure but I'm guessing Hoos is very experienced at doing deals and contracts and is fully aware of the budgetary parameters within which we have to work, maybe we give him a small ish signing on fee which keeps the wages within our structure.
This has a bit of a Paddy Kenny signing about it where Uncle Neil was very clever at mixing up his squad with older and younger players and to be fair some who we thought were well past it and wouldn't be good enough.

As for the younger and older players issue I think Gareth is fully aware he needs a mixture, he has effectively brought in Richards this year although that was an existing commitment and signed Smyth and Larkeche, so there's at least two there already who are young and we are hoping to improve....

yeah it's just a concern really, it's very difficult to judge until the end of the window
Asmir Begovic on 10:44 - Jul 12 with 2642 viewsqprcmob

Asmir Begovic on 09:12 - Jul 12 by TheChef

Also wonder the same about Joe Walsh, although he's still only 21 - anyone seen him play?

Wasn't Chris Woods around that age when he first played for us ?
Asmir Begovic on 11:00 - Jul 12 with 2572 viewsloftboy

Maybe a chunk of senys money will be as a signing on fee allowing him to take a smaller wage?

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Asmir Begovic on 11:29 - Jul 12 with 2379 viewsaston_hoop

Wouldn't surprise me if we keep Walsh around. There are far worse keepers for him to learn from on a daily basis than Begovic. Plus we already know Archer is shite so why waste league cup starts on him?

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Asmir Begovic on 11:31 - Jul 12 with 2354 viewsdaveB

Asmir Begovic on 11:29 - Jul 12 by aston_hoop

Wouldn't surprise me if we keep Walsh around. There are far worse keepers for him to learn from on a daily basis than Begovic. Plus we already know Archer is shite so why waste league cup starts on him?

Walsh needs league football this year, they need to get him a good loan
Asmir Begovic on 12:04 - Jul 12 with 2152 viewspaulhoop2

It’s a yes from me Simon….

Solid experienced option. Writing off archer is cautious tho he was Ainsworths number 1 at Wycombe for a season I believe?

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

Asmir Begovic on 12:04 - Jul 12 with 2146 viewsRangersw12

Asmir Begovic on 11:31 - Jul 12 by daveB

Walsh needs league football this year, they need to get him a good loan

Or you know we could just play him and save money on what will be an expensive free transfer
Asmir Begovic on 12:18 - Jul 12 with 2046 viewsE17hoop

Asmir Begovic on 10:10 - Jul 12 by Northernr

I wondered that. Have we perhaps tempted him with more than a one-year deal, which is obviously great security at his age? We'll find out shortly I guess.

I'd be fairly certain it's not about the money. He's opening a new soccer school in Chiswick and planning for retirement. We're convenient - he can train and then head there and less of a pain in the árse than to hack to Lu'on.

I think you were spot on before - one year, keep us up, find someone better. He gets a year to build his soccer schools for a year before he retires.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Who do you want as next Next England manager?

Asmir Begovic on 12:29 - Jul 12 with 1955 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Asmir Begovic on 12:18 - Jul 12 by E17hoop

I'd be fairly certain it's not about the money. He's opening a new soccer school in Chiswick and planning for retirement. We're convenient - he can train and then head there and less of a pain in the árse than to hack to Lu'on.

I think you were spot on before - one year, keep us up, find someone better. He gets a year to build his soccer schools for a year before he retires.

That's interesting and important context. Wasn't aware of that. Thank you.
Asmir Begovic on 12:32 - Jul 12 with 1922 viewsGroveR

Asmir Begovic on 12:18 - Jul 12 by E17hoop

It'd be Alanis-level irony if the school's first paying pupil was Archer.
Asmir Begovic on 12:42 - Jul 12 with 1829 viewsAntti_Heinola

Asmir Begovic on 10:21 - Jul 12 by Padulas_Shampoo

Well... I'd love to believe that.

But if he was earning even £30 - 40k a week at Everton he'd surely be having to take a 90% pay cut to come here?

I'm not sure I can think of a single precedent in the history of football for that sort of a move. I'd love to believe it but smells very fishy to me.

It sounds ridiculous, but I don't think it's that far-fetched. You get a lot of very decent keepers in the Prem on huge salaries who are basically reserves who never play. Begovic has been doing that for a while now, has 2-4 years left of a career, it's not that ridiculous that he wants to play first team football again, and to do that he will take a hefty pay cut. He would have been on a fortune at Chelsea, so he should have enough to have a comfortable life forever if he wants. Plus, I imagine he'll be on £10k pw with us, minimum. Half a mill a year isn't bad is it?

Bare bones.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024