Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sign a f*cking striker 11:08 - Dec 30 with 15618 viewsThird_Division_South

Hi all, first post from a long time lurker.

We all know we need to sign a striker, but how about signing the RIGHT striker. Our last three major purchases have been Washington, Bonne and Dykes al costing around £2M each. The first two proved to be total duds and, to me, Dykes is much more of a traditional target man who needs a real striker playing off him. That said, he should still score more than he does. It baffles me that our recruitment team that has got it so well in other parts of the pitch have such a blind spot when it comes to strikers. Since we signed Dykes Luton have got in Adebayo, 16 goals last season, Morris, two goals last night, both of which beat us up in the away game also and Woodrow for less than we paid for him. Also, how could anyone have looked at Roberts and thought that he’d be worth £4.5?.While we were looking at the Brighton reserve team and getting Mlakar, remember him?playing alongside him in the same team was Gyokeres who went to Coventry on a free and ripped us a new one a few weeks ago.
All the more baffling when our DoF was such a great striker.

Strong cheddar in sandwiches and Applewood on the cheeseboard
Sign a f*cking striker on 11:11 - Dec 30 with 6710 viewsloftboy

Welcome, good first post,
Part of me thinks if we sign Lionel Messi we would turn him into Gus Ceasar !

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Sign a f*cking striker on 11:15 - Dec 30 with 6657 viewsRs_Holy

We desperately need a striker… said it on a previous thread that we need an experienced centre forward in January more than any other position… is it possible to send Roberts back to Leeds too?
Sign a f*cking striker on 11:18 - Dec 30 with 6620 viewsDixie_CT

Yep
Sign a f*cking striker on 11:22 - Dec 30 with 6559 viewsParkRoyalR

Sign a f*cking striker on 11:15 - Dec 30 by Rs_Holy

We desperately need a striker… said it on a previous thread that we need an experienced centre forward in January more than any other position… is it possible to send Roberts back to Leeds too?

Was in a cab in the summer in Leeds and driver had a football coaching manual on the dash-board, so start talking football,

He's a satelite academy coach for Leeds Utd under-teams, say Roberts is a good lad, good player, just doesn't score goals....must have ticked our box!
Sign a f*cking striker on 11:24 - Dec 30 with 6557 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Welcome aboard, TDS. Good first post. Agree with it all.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Sign a f*cking striker on 11:25 - Dec 30 with 6541 viewsbosh67

Macaulay Langstaff is being chased down by 4 clubs in our division but not us!!!

21 goals in 23 games.

Would probably come to the EFL for less than £250K, about what we earned from Chair sitting on the bench at the World Cup.

Les came from Harrow & Weald for £15K! I would think the club should be looking at a prolific scorer from further down the leagues and bringing them through.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2022 11:26]

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Sign a f*cking striker on 11:32 - Dec 30 with 6474 viewsdaveB

Sign a f*cking striker on 11:25 - Dec 30 by bosh67

Macaulay Langstaff is being chased down by 4 clubs in our division but not us!!!

21 goals in 23 games.

Would probably come to the EFL for less than £250K, about what we earned from Chair sitting on the bench at the World Cup.

Les came from Harrow & Weald for £15K! I would think the club should be looking at a prolific scorer from further down the leagues and bringing them through.

Brandon Assante went from Salford to West Brom for about 300k in the summer, another I thought we should have been in for
Sign a f*cking striker on 11:42 - Dec 30 with 6417 viewsThird_Division_South

Remember the days of Holloway when we had Gallen, Furlong, Thorpe and Cureton? Although we were playing in the division below I’d take any of them right now
Login to get fewer ads

Sign a f*cking striker on 11:50 - Dec 30 with 6367 viewsNed_Kennedys

Anyone heard or read anything about the status of Armstrong and Bonne? Not having either on the bench yesterday was a big mistake.
Dykes works better in a two: we have got results with him as a lone striker but only when our attacking midfielders are firing which none of them are at the moment.
Sign a f*cking striker on 12:03 - Dec 30 with 6306 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Sign a f*cking striker on 11:42 - Dec 30 by Third_Division_South

Remember the days of Holloway when we had Gallen, Furlong, Thorpe and Cureton? Although we were playing in the division below I’d take any of them right now

I know this was probably a flippant remark but both Dykes and Willock have either scored more goals or more often than Gallen, Thorpe, or Cureton. Furlong was a freak.

Furlong (57 goals one every 2.96 games)
Dykes (26 goals one every 3.85 games)
Gallen (90 goals one every 4.05 games)
Thorpe (10 goals one every 4.1 games)
Willock (16 goals one every 5.125 games)
Cureton (6 goals one every 7.1 games)

I know I’m not reading the room very well because people just want to rant about our poor form but just a quick reminder that these are the same players that made us the second best performing team over a calendar year not so long ago and took us to the top of the Championship five months ago.

Appreciate this doesn’t make the last two games any less shit but babies and bath water etc.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2022 12:14]
Sign a f*cking striker on 12:15 - Dec 30 with 6225 viewsandrew1302

so my question to you is what has gone wrong? I don't know if you were at Cardiff and Luton games , statistics are fine but did you see just how bad we were? Lumping balls up to a single striker surrounded by 4 Luton players, a midfield which was 10m from any forward ball, crossing at 14year old level, no fight anywhere on the pitch but oh lovely lots of tappy tappy around the midle to back of the pitch. Where we were and where we are seems two very different places.
Sign a f*cking striker on 12:22 - Dec 30 with 6168 viewsBerkoRanger

Think we are all on the same page here.
Was watching the Sky Sports Prem review at the weekend and listening to the pundits foaming at the mouth over what Prem clubs would spend in the January window. Bournemouth were discussed as they have new owners who want to spend big.
I felt sick to the stomach thinking of how EFL clubs have to even fully cost a loan signing because of bl**dy FFP.
I'm sure our wealthy owners are chomping at the bit to buy big - if it's their hobby, why shouldn't they be allowed to? GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Sign a f*cking striker on 12:23 - Dec 30 with 6163 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Sign a f*cking striker on 12:15 - Dec 30 by andrew1302

so my question to you is what has gone wrong? I don't know if you were at Cardiff and Luton games , statistics are fine but did you see just how bad we were? Lumping balls up to a single striker surrounded by 4 Luton players, a midfield which was 10m from any forward ball, crossing at 14year old level, no fight anywhere on the pitch but oh lovely lots of tappy tappy around the midle to back of the pitch. Where we were and where we are seems two very different places.

I didn’t go to Cardiff but saw it on TV and yes I was there last night. I hope I’m qualified enough!

You’ve answered your own question in my opinion. Individual match tactics / strategy plus some shocking individual performances is why we’ve been shit in the short term.

Disruptive managerial changes in the medium term.

Shit infrastructure and lack of investment in the long term is why we are where we are.

We are dealing with the third one, can’t do anything about the second one, and for all we know are turning a corner on the first one.

We are in danger of writing off a whole squad based on at best three months of poor form. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be fcked off with last night though.
Sign a f*cking striker on 12:34 - Dec 30 with 6059 viewsthemodfather

dykes is not an out and out striker, he has effort but is not going to score 20 a season for us.
thing is we created and few of our players got in box to support dykes.
Sign a f*cking striker on 12:45 - Dec 30 with 5988 viewsRs_Holy

Sign a f*cking striker on 12:03 - Dec 30 by BazzaInTheLoft

I know this was probably a flippant remark but both Dykes and Willock have either scored more goals or more often than Gallen, Thorpe, or Cureton. Furlong was a freak.

I know I’m not reading the room very well because people just want to rant about our poor form but just a quick reminder that these are the same players that made us the second best performing team over a calendar year not so long ago and took us to the top of the Championship five months ago.

Appreciate this doesn’t make the last two games any less shit but babies and bath water etc.

Gallen was different gravy to Dykes… a much more complete player… Gallen and Furs worked really, really well!
Sign a f*cking striker on 12:49 - Dec 30 with 5981 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Sign a f*cking striker on 12:45 - Dec 30 by Rs_Holy

Gallen was different gravy to Dykes… a much more complete player… Gallen and Furs worked really, really well!

I don’t disagree.

Would also add that Cureton was stupidly played on the wing of my memory serves right. Just pointing out that rose tinted glasses won’t help us right now.
Sign a f*cking striker on 13:14 - Dec 30 with 5885 viewsnix

Sign a f*cking striker on 12:15 - Dec 30 by andrew1302

I agree. I doubt if Gyokeres has to play with those kind of tactics every week.
Sign a f*cking striker on 14:21 - Dec 30 with 5693 viewsHastings_Hoops

Just starting my post-Christmas weight shed and thought I’d put on all the qpr goals from last season while watching on my exercise bike… I was quite impressed with almost all of Dykes’ goals (forgot how many and how good some were)… I would encourage people to have a watch on YouTube… he may be inconsistent but I don’t think he’s lost it over night.
Sign a f*cking striker on 14:24 - Dec 30 with 5675 viewsdaveB

Sign a f*cking striker on 12:49 - Dec 30 by BazzaInTheLoft

I don’t disagree.

Would also add that Cureton was stupidly played on the wing of my memory serves right. Just pointing out that rose tinted glasses won’t help us right now.

Gallen also played in midfield a lot in his last 2 seasons which saw him score a lot less goals.
Sign a f*cking striker on 14:34 - Dec 30 with 5624 viewsessextaxiboy

Sign a f*cking striker on 12:03 - Dec 30 by BazzaInTheLoft

Dykes figures are helped by pens
Sign a f*cking striker on 14:42 - Dec 30 with 5575 viewsgazza1

21 goals in 23 games.

If you talking about Les Ferdinand, he came for Hayes I believe....decent non league team at the time - now merged with Yeading.
Sign a f*cking striker on 14:44 - Dec 30 with 5552 viewsgazza1

Sign a f*cking striker on 12:34 - Dec 30 by themodfather

dykes is not an out and out striker, he has effort but is not going to score 20 a season for us.
thing is we created and few of our players got in box to support dykes.

He is 'as good as' an 'out and out' striker......he isn't anything else!!!!!

Sorry I add.....his role is as an 'out and out' striker, he just cannot do it enough times during a match/season.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2022 14:46]
Sign a f*cking striker on 14:51 - Dec 30 with 5530 viewsCamberleyR

Sign a f*cking striker on 14:34 - Dec 30 by essextaxiboy

Dykes figures are helped by pens

So were Alan Shearer's.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2022 14:51]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Sign a f*cking striker on 14:55 - Dec 30 with 5516 viewsCamberleyR

21 goals in 23 games.

Unless his contract is running out, there's no way Notts County are selling him for £250k. I would say nearer four times that and even that is probably beyond us unless we sell Willock or Chair.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Sign a f*cking striker on 15:04 - Dec 30 with 5479 viewsDejR_vu

We haven't owned a decent striker since our DoF has been at the club, so I can't imagine we're going to start now, although even a broken clock is right twice a day so maybe we'll stumble on one by mistake one day.

If we had a competent DoF perhaps:
1) we would use what little money we have to buy decent players, rather than wasting it on dross. How many genuinely good players have been signed since he arrived?
2) we would have a youth system that produces the odd player that's decent (we've sold Furlong and Kpekawa on his watch, both of whom came through before he arrived. Bowler maybe? The others have been signed post-academy age). That would make (1) easier if we had less holes to plug. And btw, the cr@p about the new training facility making it easier, suggesting that the old facilities were the problem is total horsesh1t. There are other London clubs with facilities no better than the old Heston producing players. It's another in a long line of excuses.
3) we would have a settled style of play that means a coach leaving doesn't cause a massive upheaval

Apparently, this is all far too difficult for QPR, despite other clubs being able to do it. It just seems to be accepted because there are other clubs just as bad. #racetothebottom

It's only been eight years, I guess.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024