Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sign a f*cking striker 11:08 - Dec 30 with 15737 viewsThird_Division_South

Hi all, first post from a long time lurker.

We all know we need to sign a striker, but how about signing the RIGHT striker. Our last three major purchases have been Washington, Bonne and Dykes al costing around £2M each. The first two proved to be total duds and, to me, Dykes is much more of a traditional target man who needs a real striker playing off him. That said, he should still score more than he does. It baffles me that our recruitment team that has got it so well in other parts of the pitch have such a blind spot when it comes to strikers. Since we signed Dykes Luton have got in Adebayo, 16 goals last season, Morris, two goals last night, both of which beat us up in the away game also and Woodrow for less than we paid for him. Also, how could anyone have looked at Roberts and thought that he’d be worth £4.5?.While we were looking at the Brighton reserve team and getting Mlakar, remember him?playing alongside him in the same team was Gyokeres who went to Coventry on a free and ripped us a new one a few weeks ago.
All the more baffling when our DoF was such a great striker.

Strong cheddar in sandwiches and Applewood on the cheeseboard
Sign a f*cking striker on 14:12 - Jan 1 with 2653 viewsPinnerPaul

Sign a f*cking striker on 14:08 - Jan 1 by kensalriser

And the last three finished 8th, 15th and 17th.

I think we can all agree that even we're capable of finishing 16th without any player on 20+.

I think we can all agree, we never all agree!
Sign a f*cking striker on 14:16 - Jan 1 with 2628 viewsdistortR

Sign a f*cking striker on 17:25 - Dec 31 by PinnerPaul

The 20 goal a season striker is not going to happen, only 5 reached that target last season - the top 2 being PL strikers playing in the wrong league

Goals
1. Aleksandar Mitrovic Fulham 43
2. Dominic Solanke Bournemouth 29
3. Andreas Weimann Bristol City 22
Ben Brereton Blackburn 22
Joël Piroe Swansea 22

Andy Thompson was our last striker to score 20+ league goals in a season, over 20 years ago.
20% of last years teams had a striker who scored over 20 league goals.
Doesn't seem quite fair...................
But then, we've had 3 promotions since Andy Thompson scored 20 goals
Sign a f*cking striker on 14:21 - Jan 1 with 2604 viewsNW5Hoop

Sign a f*cking striker on 18:50 - Dec 31 by Wegerles_Stairs

To me Johansen is a very poor signing. As Northern has intimated countless times, we should have been identifying a younger midfielder from the lower leagues and then developing them. To sign a player on their way down - and who is constantly injured - goes against everything we're supposed to be doing.

I don't have strong feelings about Johansen. But the fact is most people seem to have regarded that as a good signing.

The other thing is, we have been identifying young cheap midfielders and developing them. Field, Amos, Willock, Chair. Then there are others who haven't convinced — Thomas, Dozzell etc. In fact, Johansen is the only "old" midfielder we've bought.

I'd say the fact is, our buying has been pretty good. The only area in which it has failed has been the hardest one — finding a goalscoring striker. But that's also the most noticeable one. So people moan about the terrible scouting record, because that's how it looks if you only talk about strikers, ignoring the really pretty good scouting record everywhere else on the pitch.
Sign a f*cking striker on 15:44 - Jan 1 with 2534 viewscharmr

When we brought Washington from Peterborough I recall Adrian Durham taking the Mickey out of us on the radio.

I have this theory that instead of watching highlight videos and looking at stats maybe investigate who won the supporters player of the year and talk to people who watch there team every week.

Heaven forbid even visit the odd forum as well😃
[Post edited 1 Jan 2023 15:47]
Sign a f*cking striker on 16:33 - Jan 1 with 2435 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Sign a f*cking striker on 14:21 - Jan 1 by NW5Hoop

I don't have strong feelings about Johansen. But the fact is most people seem to have regarded that as a good signing.

The other thing is, we have been identifying young cheap midfielders and developing them. Field, Amos, Willock, Chair. Then there are others who haven't convinced — Thomas, Dozzell etc. In fact, Johansen is the only "old" midfielder we've bought.

I'd say the fact is, our buying has been pretty good. The only area in which it has failed has been the hardest one — finding a goalscoring striker. But that's also the most noticeable one. So people moan about the terrible scouting record, because that's how it looks if you only talk about strikers, ignoring the really pretty good scouting record everywhere else on the pitch.

I respectfully disagree that our scouting record is pretty good - we still haven't managed to recruit a decent right-back (Laid doesn't count as he's not ours), a box-to-box midfielder or (as you say) a reliable centre forward in eight years. That's actually pretty shocking.

Yes, Chair and Willock were both good signings obviously. Amos has regressed dramatically this season though. Still not totally convinced by Field - he probably suffers from playing in a poor side but our midfield is powder puff at the moment. He'd probably do better with a decent player alongside him. From what people have said about Critchley, he likes to play a couple of tough midfielders in the middle, so hopefully he'll do something about it in January. Tim's obviously a great talent but he's not what we need at the moment.
Sign a f*cking striker on 16:40 - Jan 1 with 2410 viewsPinnerPaul

Sign a f*cking striker on 14:16 - Jan 1 by distortR

Andy Thompson was our last striker to score 20+ league goals in a season, over 20 years ago.
20% of last years teams had a striker who scored over 20 league goals.
Doesn't seem quite fair...................
But then, we've had 3 promotions since Andy Thompson scored 20 goals

20% - ie 5 and two of those are 'cheats' as I said!
Sign a f*cking striker on 17:26 - Jan 1 with 2328 viewsDixie_CT

Alfie Lloyd sounds like he is doing well at Eastleigh, good experience for him and maybe worth a first team look for next season.
Sign a f*cking striker on 17:31 - Jan 1 with 2302 viewsdistortR

Sign a f*cking striker on 16:40 - Jan 1 by PinnerPaul

20% - ie 5 and two of those are 'cheats' as I said!

oh, not so sure about Solanke!
We haven't had a 20 goal striker for way too long, although more recently we had Wells and Hugill getting 15 each, which was a good return.
Login to get fewer ads

Sign a f*cking striker on 22:30 - Jan 1 with 2047 viewsNW5Hoop

Sign a f*cking striker on 16:33 - Jan 1 by Wegerles_Stairs

I respectfully disagree that our scouting record is pretty good - we still haven't managed to recruit a decent right-back (Laid doesn't count as he's not ours), a box-to-box midfielder or (as you say) a reliable centre forward in eight years. That's actually pretty shocking.

Yes, Chair and Willock were both good signings obviously. Amos has regressed dramatically this season though. Still not totally convinced by Field - he probably suffers from playing in a poor side but our midfield is powder puff at the moment. He'd probably do better with a decent player alongside him. From what people have said about Critchley, he likes to play a couple of tough midfielders in the middle, so hopefully he'll do something about it in January. Tim's obviously a great talent but he's not what we need at the moment.

How many decent signings do you need before thinking our scouts do a pretty good job on the club's budget? Obviously we are lacking in some positions, but show me the club outside the top of the PL that isn't. Even clubs with unlimited resources to get it right get it wrong as often as not — think of the number of players who move for £30m and are never heard of again. I'm not saying our scouts are geniuses, but this constant refrain of "Why aren't they finding any bargains?" is just silly. They keep finding bargains. I don't think it's the scouts' or Dickie's fault, for example, that Dickie has gone backwards this last year - it's not long ago people were *assuming* he'd be going to a PL club for £15m or something silly. It's not the scouts' fault that the coaching staff have not been able to get the best out of players whom we know can do it at this level.

Perhaps one reason we haven't had a box-to-box midfielder is that there are very few of those around these days, and none of our managers have played formations that required one.
Sign a f*cking striker on 23:06 - Jan 1 with 1978 viewsPunteR

Sign a f*cking striker on 22:30 - Jan 1 by NW5Hoop

How many decent signings do you need before thinking our scouts do a pretty good job on the club's budget? Obviously we are lacking in some positions, but show me the club outside the top of the PL that isn't. Even clubs with unlimited resources to get it right get it wrong as often as not — think of the number of players who move for £30m and are never heard of again. I'm not saying our scouts are geniuses, but this constant refrain of "Why aren't they finding any bargains?" is just silly. They keep finding bargains. I don't think it's the scouts' or Dickie's fault, for example, that Dickie has gone backwards this last year - it's not long ago people were *assuming* he'd be going to a PL club for £15m or something silly. It's not the scouts' fault that the coaching staff have not been able to get the best out of players whom we know can do it at this level.

Perhaps one reason we haven't had a box-to-box midfielder is that there are very few of those around these days, and none of our managers have played formations that required one.

Do we need a decent striker or not?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Sign a f*cking striker on 23:35 - Jan 1 with 1937 viewsted_hendrix

I'm currently 'on line' looking for a f*cking striker In the January sales, gotta say that there's not much out there this year for some reason.
I put a bid In for Donald Blenkinsopp who's goals per game ratio Is (or rather was) one in every seventeen games, however his Agent contacted me to say that Donald Blenkinsopp dropped dead in the Year 1971 and is no longer available.
I'm going to visit J Sainsbury's tomorrow morning to purchase some streaky bacon and try and improve my shoplifting skills, I'll ask Bob the Manager If he knows the whereabouts of any half decent f*cking strikers, might even pop into Argos and check out their Catalogue, you never know.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Sign a f*cking striker on 00:00 - Jan 2 with 1877 viewsHooparoo

Luongo was probably our last box to box midfielder. Was tough in the tackle too

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Sign a f*cking striker on 00:51 - Jan 2 with 1838 viewsNW5Hoop

Sign a f*cking striker on 23:06 - Jan 1 by PunteR

Do we need a decent striker or not?

Every team needs a decent striker. It's not as simple as going and getting a spare part for a Focus, though.
Sign a f*cking striker on 01:52 - Jan 2 with 1769 viewsPunteR

Sign a f*cking striker on 00:51 - Jan 2 by NW5Hoop

Every team needs a decent striker. It's not as simple as going and getting a spare part for a Focus, though.

Have we got a decent striker?

Sign a f*cking striker on 01:53 - Jan 2 with 1768 viewsPunteR

Are you in the striker buying business?

Sign a f*cking striker on 07:27 - Jan 2 with 1651 viewsLimehouseR

No it is more like my current situation where I have lost my locking wheel nut key on my VW. So I am stuck with my old tyres!

Could be expensive to get something everyone else seems to have.
Sign a f*cking striker on 07:56 - Jan 2 with 1620 viewsdistortR

Sign a f*cking striker on 07:27 - Jan 2 by LimehouseR

No it is more like my current situation where I have lost my locking wheel nut key on my VW. So I am stuck with my old tyres!

Could be expensive to get something everyone else seems to have.

I just went and had a look at the championship goalscoring charts to prove you wrong, F-me, Tom Ince is ahead of any of ours.....
We're F'ed.
Sign a f*cking striker on 09:02 - Jan 2 with 1528 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Three of our midfielders the other night neither score nor assist and we have a solitary striker (that we own) in the squad. When you look at the striking options Luton have on a comparable budget, that's a dereliction of duty on behalf of whoever is responsible. You literally can't win matches without goals.

I haven't got a problem with the likes of Dickie, who's temporarily out of form. He's exactly the kind of player we should be signing - a talented prospect from League One who is rarely injured. My point is that there are several key positions that have not been addressed in eight years under the DoF - that's simply not good enough. We can't keep saying it's difficult because other clubs (e.g. Luton) do it with players from the Championship and lower leagues.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2023 9:10]
Sign a f*cking striker on 09:25 - Jan 2 with 1508 viewsEsox_Lucius

Why doesn't Ferdinand get heaped with praise when we are doing well instead of those useless sub par players we have in the squad getting it?
This anti Les agenda goes a lot deeper than the playing fortunes of QPR IMO. Why aren't the board members copping vitriol and abuse after a bad run of results? some of whom were in charge long before LF was made DoF.

The grass is always greener.

Sign a f*cking striker on 10:18 - Jan 2 with 1414 viewsLazyFan

Amos is a box-to-box midfielder and he scores goals, but he got a small injury again and managers have not been playing him when fit. NC needs to start playing him as he gets goals. That means dropping Dozzell.

Armstrong is a great signing, probably cost naff all and has great potential. We had Paul Smyth as well, but he was too injury-prone. Seems to have sorted that out and is showing he's well above L2 level. Also, previous managers mucked him around as they did with BoS and Manning. Remember when BoS and Manning could not get into the QPR team, yet now BoS is playing Champ league football and Manning is a regular in the Championship with Swansea who are higher than us.

Really it is our past managers not developing the talent the scouts have found. Let me be clear it's not just about developing them, you have to get them playing in our first team and regularly. Otherwise, we are just developing them for other clubs. Let's look at Masterson, what's the point in us signing him if we only ever send him out on loan?

The managers need to develop the talent by playing them regular, that is the only way.

zzzzzzzzzz

Sign a f*cking striker on 10:33 - Jan 2 with 1393 viewsLoyalitat

Sign a f*cking striker on 07:56 - Jan 2 by distortR

I just went and had a look at the championship goalscoring charts to prove you wrong, F-me, Tom Ince is ahead of any of ours.....
We're F'ed.

Tom Ince is a much better player than credited and has had a good career. He has played over 400 league games, mostly at championship level, and scored over 90 goals. For an attacking midfielder, that's impressive.

Played in a promoted Blackpool team to the Premier League as well as playing at that level for Huddersfield and Palace.

By way of comparison, his goals to games ratio is way ahead of the much-vaunted Chris Willock.
Sign a f*cking striker on 10:41 - Jan 2 with 1358 viewsBAWHoops

The scouting department and Les have managed to find us a hell of a lot of players in recent years that we all accept have done well for the club, or been sold on for some money

Dieng
Smithies
Barbet
Dickie
Dunne
JCS
Paal
Field
Amos
Luongo
Bright
Eze
Chair
Willock

It's a pretty good list really.

Since Les has been DoF we've massively cut costs and turned the tanker round to put us in a position where we were able to have a tilt at the Play Offs last season (before it fell apart).
He's doing absolutely fine

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Sign a f*cking striker on 10:48 - Jan 2 with 1340 viewsLoyalitat

Sign a f*cking striker on 10:18 - Jan 2 by LazyFan

Amos is a box-to-box midfielder and he scores goals, but he got a small injury again and managers have not been playing him when fit. NC needs to start playing him as he gets goals. That means dropping Dozzell.

Armstrong is a great signing, probably cost naff all and has great potential. We had Paul Smyth as well, but he was too injury-prone. Seems to have sorted that out and is showing he's well above L2 level. Also, previous managers mucked him around as they did with BoS and Manning. Remember when BoS and Manning could not get into the QPR team, yet now BoS is playing Champ league football and Manning is a regular in the Championship with Swansea who are higher than us.

Really it is our past managers not developing the talent the scouts have found. Let me be clear it's not just about developing them, you have to get them playing in our first team and regularly. Otherwise, we are just developing them for other clubs. Let's look at Masterson, what's the point in us signing him if we only ever send him out on loan?

The managers need to develop the talent by playing them regular, that is the only way.

This. Good post
Sign a f*cking striker on 11:25 - Jan 2 with 1209 viewsDamo1962

on 01:00 - Jan 1 by

I thought we bought Washington from Linfield? I may of course be completely wrong🙂
Sign a f*cking striker on 12:07 - Jan 2 with 2295 viewsloftboy

Sign a f*cking striker on 11:25 - Jan 2 by Damo1962

I thought we bought Washington from Linfield? I may of course be completely wrong🙂

I thought it was Peterborough

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024