Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
GAA - Tyrone and Mayo season over tomorrow? 20:43 - Jun 3 with 13562 viewsWatfordR

In Lanzarote, and much to the annoyance of the new Mrs Watford, I’ve found somewhere to watch Clare v Meath tomorrow.

However, a possibility that both last year’s finalists will be done by the end of the weekend. What do we think?

Personally I think Tyrone look a mess and will exit tomorrow. Less certain about Mayo but I wouldn’t be surprised if they bowed out too.

What do other Irish Rs think?
GAA - Tyrone and Mayo season over tomorrow? on 17:16 - Jul 12 with 2074 viewsBrianMcCarthy

GAA - Tyrone and Mayo season over tomorrow? on 14:53 - Jul 12 by Myke

Agreed about the light weight sliotar but can't agree with your assessment of the game in general and Limerick/Galway semi final in particular. It was a cracking match, yes the ref let a lot go but for me that's a good thing. It's a physical gam., One of my biggest laments about modern football is that it has virtually become a non-contact sport

The rules are being constantly ignored, Myke.

Kilkenny started the race to the bottom with frontal charges and deadening the hurley arm, Limerick have moved up to systematically flaking the chest, body and head. Shoulders to the head are common place, hurleys inside the face gaurd are regular and going up with the hand is almost gone because the likes of Kilkenny and Limerick won't attack the sliotar they'll undercut it before it arrives and you're out of the game.

It's an exciting game these days as the skill levels remain high but it's not hurling, and it bears no relation to the game set out in the rules. I expect Cork, Galway and Tipp to follow and that will be that for the "greatest game in the world (c)".

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

GAA - Tyrone and Mayo season over tomorrow? on 17:27 - Jul 17 with 1915 viewsWatfordR

Got to say, I though that was a highly enjoyable and good quality game of hurling. Well done Limerick
GAA - Tyrone and Mayo season over tomorrow? on 17:42 - Jul 17 with 1854 viewsMrSheen

GAA - Tyrone and Mayo season over tomorrow? on 17:27 - Jul 17 by WatfordR

Got to say, I though that was a highly enjoyable and good quality game of hurling. Well done Limerick

Agreed, good close game, better team won. Watched it in a pub in Kerry, some of the locals cheering Kilkenny on the grounds that Limerick are neighbours - 50 miles from here at least!
GAA - Tyrone and Mayo season over tomorrow? on 16:23 - Jul 24 with 1678 viewsMrSheen

Kerry dire in the first half, Galway could be two goals up despite having less ball. Kerry must improve, surely? Packed pub, very quiet. Brian would approve.
GAA - Tyrone and Mayo season over tomorrow? on 16:27 - Jul 24 with 1713 viewsCLAREMAN1995

GAA - Tyrone and Mayo season over tomorrow? on 16:23 - Jul 24 by MrSheen

Kerry dire in the first half, Galway could be two goals up despite having less ball. Kerry must improve, surely? Packed pub, very quiet. Brian would approve.

You love the pub 2 weeks in a row Mr Sheen haha.
Listening to it online myself expect Kerry to pull away but who knows ,most of Ireland hoping Galway bring it home
GAA - Tyrone and Mayo season over tomorrow? on 16:48 - Jul 24 with 1701 viewsGalileo

Sky’s coverage is atrocious.
Lost count of the number of times the pictures have broken up or frozen.
GAA - Tyrone and Mayo season over tomorrow? on 17:07 - Jul 24 with 1684 viewsdenhamhoop2

Galway had the better footballers but Kerry the better spirit and defence as always wins titles
GAA - Tyrone and Mayo season over tomorrow? on 17:20 - Jul 24 with 1618 viewsMrSheen

GAA - Tyrone and Mayo season over tomorrow? on 17:07 - Jul 24 by denhamhoop2

Galway had the better footballers but Kerry the better spirit and defence as always wins titles

Not sure I agree. Kerry always had the grip on midfield but I think David Clifford looked the best player out there. Galway got the most out of their team for 65 minutes but having very little ball finally choked their attack.
Login to get fewer ads

GAA - Tyrone and Mayo season over tomorrow? on 19:03 - Jul 24 with 1586 viewsMyke

Think Brian would have to concede that Walsh and Clifford have more than just potential at this stage. Bot produced on the biggest stage of all . Kerry stronger bench ultimately the difference- cracking match
GAA - Tyrone and Mayo season over tomorrow? on 19:36 - Jul 24 with 1559 viewsBrianMcCarthy

GAA - Tyrone and Mayo season over tomorrow? on 19:03 - Jul 24 by Myke

Think Brian would have to concede that Walsh and Clifford have more than just potential at this stage. Bot produced on the biggest stage of all . Kerry stronger bench ultimately the difference- cracking match

That's seriously misquoting me, Myke.
Someone said on here that they were the best two players in football.
I disagreed, and still do, but hugely agreed on their massive potential to reach that echelon one day.

They both have a long way to go before they touch the caps of consistent performers Kilkenny, Murphy, O'Callaghan, O'Connor, Keegan etc.

GAA - Tyrone and Mayo season over tomorrow? on 23:58 - Jul 24 with 1472 viewsMyke

GAA - Tyrone and Mayo season over tomorrow? on 19:36 - Jul 24 by BrianMcCarthy

That's seriously misquoting me, Myke.
Someone said on here that they were the best two players in football.
I disagreed, and still do, but hugely agreed on their massive potential to reach that echelon one day.

They both have a long way to go before they touch the caps of consistent performers Kilkenny, Murphy, O'Callaghan, O'Connor, Keegan etc.

Certainly not 'seriously misquoting' you Brian.I think you slightly misquoted me, which may have lead to the confusion. On the previous page of this thread, I described Walsh and Clifford as ' the best two players in the country' not 'the best two players in football' as you stated here. Your reply to my original post was "I think they're two fine talents, or 'prospects' to use the American term.No argument whatsoever. Just don't think they're anywhere near the best two players in the country at the moment". This 'at the moment' was what I was picking you up on today. I think today, on the biggest stage of all, when they both produced such sublime performances, proves in my view, they are the best two players 'in the country' 'at the moment'
On your wider point, that they have some way to go to prove themselves consistently over a number of years, I agree with you completely
GAA - Tyrone and Mayo season over tomorrow? on 00:19 - Jul 25 with 1463 viewsBoston

fight, fight, fight...

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

GAA - Tyrone and Mayo season over tomorrow? on 08:44 - Jul 25 with 1412 viewsBrianMcCarthy

GAA - Tyrone and Mayo season over tomorrow? on 23:58 - Jul 24 by Myke

Certainly not 'seriously misquoting' you Brian.I think you slightly misquoted me, which may have lead to the confusion. On the previous page of this thread, I described Walsh and Clifford as ' the best two players in the country' not 'the best two players in football' as you stated here. Your reply to my original post was "I think they're two fine talents, or 'prospects' to use the American term.No argument whatsoever. Just don't think they're anywhere near the best two players in the country at the moment". This 'at the moment' was what I was picking you up on today. I think today, on the biggest stage of all, when they both produced such sublime performances, proves in my view, they are the best two players 'in the country' 'at the moment'
On your wider point, that they have some way to go to prove themselves consistently over a number of years, I agree with you completely

Well, ok, Myke. No hassle, of course.

I don't agree, but that's the joys of it.

GAA - Tyrone and Mayo season over tomorrow? on 09:01 - Jul 25 with 1393 viewsMrSheen

Picking through the 68-page (yes, really!) sports pull-out in this week's "Kerryman", squeezed in after the sea-rowing reports and the latest on the local beagling scene, there was a fair bit of talk along the lines of, "for one of the game's great players, shouldn't David Clifford have won something by now?" So, both appreciation and optimism of his potential, but realistic about his record to date, though it looks better this morning.
GAA - Tyrone and Mayo season over tomorrow? on 11:30 - Jul 25 with 1339 viewsMyke

GAA - Tyrone and Mayo season over tomorrow? on 09:01 - Jul 25 by MrSheen

Picking through the 68-page (yes, really!) sports pull-out in this week's "Kerryman", squeezed in after the sea-rowing reports and the latest on the local beagling scene, there was a fair bit of talk along the lines of, "for one of the game's great players, shouldn't David Clifford have won something by now?" So, both appreciation and optimism of his potential, but realistic about his record to date, though it looks better this morning.

Yeah, even though I was obviously rooting for Galway, I think few would begrudge Clifford his first Celtic Cross. It's that age- old argument that gets levelled at top players. There was a debate over Messi's 'greatness' as he hadn't won anything major with Argentina. Personally I think it's a nonsense, was George Best any less a player just because he played for NI? I know nowadays players switch allegiance even at international level and occasionally in GAA too (who would have thought Sligo would have a Kerryman by the name of Pat Spillane in their ranks?) but for the most part they play for their country/county of birth. Sligo, for example have had a few outstanding players like Mickey Kearins and Eamon O'Hara, but all they would have to show for 15 years of top level service is a single Connaught medal each.
GAA - Tyrone and Mayo season over tomorrow? on 15:18 - Jul 29 with 1240 viewsMrSheen

Just met Sam Maguire! One on the players was having a photo shoot with it on the beach at St Finian’s Bay, got mobbed by the local kids. Like going into Tesco’s round the corner and seeing the FA Cup.
GAA - Tyrone and Mayo season over tomorrow? on 21:43 - Aug 7 with 1117 viewsMrSheen

Questions - Why do women wear skirts to play Camogie but shorts for football. Is it because the former game is older-established, or to avoid upskirting pictures in the latter? And why doesn’t the keeper get her own shirt?
GAA - Tyrone and Mayo season over tomorrow? on 23:32 - Aug 7 with 1063 viewsBoston

GAA - Tyrone and Mayo season over tomorrow? on 21:43 - Aug 7 by MrSheen

Questions - Why do women wear skirts to play Camogie but shorts for football. Is it because the former game is older-established, or to avoid upskirting pictures in the latter? And why doesn’t the keeper get her own shirt?

Camogie players have better legs.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

GAA - Tyrone and Mayo season over tomorrow? on 08:58 - Aug 8 with 1024 viewsMyke

GAA - Tyrone and Mayo season over tomorrow? on 21:43 - Aug 7 by MrSheen

They are not skirts they are culottes. Yes probably because camogie began in 1904 seventy years before ladies gaa
GAA - Tyrone and Mayo season over tomorrow? on 09:05 - Aug 8 with 1013 viewsMrSheen

GAA - Tyrone and Mayo season over tomorrow? on 08:58 - Aug 8 by Myke

They are not skirts they are culottes. Yes probably because camogie began in 1904 seventy years before ladies gaa

When my girls wore them at school they called them "skorts".
GAA - Tyrone and Mayo season over tomorrow? on 09:13 - Aug 8 with 1001 viewsBrianMcCarthy

GAA - Tyrone and Mayo season over tomorrow? on 09:05 - Aug 8 by MrSheen

"Skorts" in Cork too.
My cousin was playing in the Intermediate Final. They lost out, but Galway deserved it more I think.
I must ask her both questions, but not any time soon!

GAA - Tyrone and Mayo season over tomorrow? on 09:22 - Aug 8 with 997 viewsMyke

GAA - Tyrone and Mayo season over tomorrow? on 09:05 - Aug 8 by MrSheen

When I went to school- a loooong time ago- there was no gaelic option for the girls. All they could play was basketball for which they wore culottes. My own daughter was not sporty only partaking in PE under duress but I have coached girls gaa and soccer and they all wear shorts. I would imagine with the camogie, gear a bit like the Olympic volleyball teams, sooner or later someone will say 'hang on a minute ...' I am amazed that there hasn't been a backlash to the Wimbledon dress code yet
[Post edited 8 Aug 2022 9:23]
GAA - Tyrone and Mayo season over tomorrow? on 09:32 - Aug 8 with 980 viewsBrianMcCarthy

GAA - Tyrone and Mayo season over tomorrow? on 09:22 - Aug 8 by Myke

When I went to school- a loooong time ago- there was no gaelic option for the girls. All they could play was basketball for which they wore culottes. My own daughter was not sporty only partaking in PE under duress but I have coached girls gaa and soccer and they all wear shorts. I would imagine with the camogie, gear a bit like the Olympic volleyball teams, sooner or later someone will say 'hang on a minute ...' I am amazed that there hasn't been a backlash to the Wimbledon dress code yet
[Post edited 8 Aug 2022 9:23]

Skorts have changed a lot down the years. The good news is that The Camogie Association is run by women and not by some old duffer like Bert Millichip or Éamon de Valera. So they can change them for togs any time they like.

I often think of Clive when I'm on this thread. He has to read all of this, and must find it beyond all comprehension!

GAA - Tyrone and Mayo season over tomorrow? on 09:43 - Aug 8 with 969 viewsMrSheen

Having seen the highlights last night, I think a few goalkeepers will want to keep the anonymity of an outfield shirt - Antrim's excepted!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024