Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why has it all gone wrong? 21:44 - Apr 5 with 10634 viewsconnell10

I know we have had injuries etc but our dip in form has been spectacular! I'm at a lose and totally gutted! Just wrote Bollocks in my diary!!!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Why has it all gone wrong? on 01:47 - Apr 6 with 2558 viewsBazzeR

Why has it all gone wrong? on 00:39 - Apr 6 by Jigsore

think we're all agreed that, while he's obviously not the only problem, Hendrick's move has not worked out and he needs to be benched so Dozzell and Amos get more game time

I don't even think Jeff is a bad player particularly but the way I look at it is he's spent the last 5+ years playing in Sean Dyche and Steve Bruce teams just trying to keep their heads above water in the Premier League. That basically equates to a lot of running around and trying to stop the opposition doing things rather than creating chances for yourself or the team

with that in mind I don't really know QPR thought he would slot seamlessly into a team that is supposed to be playing on the front foot and fighting for promotion

Jeff Hendrick has a total of 6 assists in 428 club and international appearances.

How he gets game time over some of our own players is criminal.
Why has it all gone wrong? on 05:16 - Apr 6 with 2419 viewsOregonQPR

We’ve lost 3 times to the last placed team being out scored 7-2 in the process.
Why has it all gone wrong? on 07:22 - Apr 6 with 2318 viewsdistortR

Why has it all gone wrong? on 01:47 - Apr 6 by BazzeR

Jeff Hendrick has a total of 6 assists in 428 club and international appearances.

Mate, it just feels like he's played that many times for us!

Surprisingly bad stats, for him to play alongside Field and two aging wingbacks just isn't going to work, is it?

But, but....Amos and Thomas needs to be able to play regularly for 90 minutes and add consistency, Dozzel needs to learn the defensive part of his role. They haven't stepped up enough this season IMHO.
Why has it all gone wrong? on 08:43 - Apr 6 with 2209 viewsRangersw12

Why has it all gone wrong? on 01:47 - Apr 6 by BazzeR

Because he's a premier league "name", the signing stinks of Fernandes sticking his oar in.
Why has it all gone wrong? on 08:50 - Apr 6 with 2173 viewsstevec

The wing backs haven’t done their job virtually the whole season.

Reliant on two old boys, it’s just collapsed. We have no central midfielders who can run forward with the ball at their feet, too many stand and passers. You can get away with that if your wing backs are doing they’re job, when that stopped the CM’s were stranded by their own inadequacies.

The whole debacle not helped by having three forwards who need everything handed to them on a plate.

This is and will always be the problem for MW, a system tuned to too many unadaptable players which collapses if any part of the system breaks down.

We have players that we can build a nucleus of a team. Dieng. Dickie Dunne Barbet, this should never have been messed around with, it worked. Field. Willock and Chair, though Chair probably expendable. That’s seven first teamers. There’s also enough decent enough to make a bench.

We need two forwards who are not one dimensional, two wing backs who are young and have an engine. Doesn’t solve everything, we’d still have too many midfield strollers on the books but surrounded by a more energetic side, Amos might then blossom.

Problem with MW is he’s too heavily stained after this second half of season and I do believe there are managers out there who can step in and aren’t damaged goods.
Why has it all gone wrong? on 09:49 - Apr 6 with 2111 viewsParkRoyalR

Why has it all gone wrong? on 08:50 - Apr 6 by stevec

Reliant on two old boys, it’s just collapsed. We have no central midfielders who can run forward with the ball at their feet, too many stand and passers. You can get away with that if your wing backs are doing they’re job, when that stopped the CM’s were stranded by their own inadequacies.

The whole debacle not helped by having three forwards who need everything handed to them on a plate.

This is and will always be the problem for MW, a system tuned to too many unadaptable players which collapses if any part of the system breaks down.

We have players that we can build a nucleus of a team. Dieng. Dickie Dunne Barbet, this should never have been messed around with, it worked. Field. Willock and Chair, though Chair probably expendable. That’s seven first teamers. There’s also enough decent enough to make a bench.

We need two forwards who are not one dimensional, two wing backs who are young and have an engine. Doesn’t solve everything, we’d still have too many midfield strollers on the books but surrounded by a more energetic side, Amos might then blossom.

Problem with MW is he’s too heavily stained after this second half of season and I do believe there are managers out there who can step in and aren’t damaged goods.

Great post, and when 2 key parts of that system break down (ie Johansen getting attacks moving and Willock playing one two's around the box) we create absolutely nothing as we did last night.

With no obvious replacement for Johansen in the squad and no-one else at Willocks level, Warburton has to recruit well in the summer as I am unconvinced by Amos, Thomas and particularly Dozell being good enough to play in a side with play-off ambitions.
Why has it all gone wrong? on 10:17 - Apr 6 with 2031 viewsjohnhoop

I’m not so sure about your last paragraph regarding Warburton but I think your summary of our playing resources and where the problems lie with them is extremely accurate.
Why has it all gone wrong? on 10:20 - Apr 6 with 2013 viewsterryb

None of us know Jon, but we all have our entrenched views that we will not move from!

IMO we have lost the spirit that drove us forward earlier in the season. I say that this is partly due to the two loan signings in January, but that may be like missing an open goal by a mile. I don't blame the two loanees for this, but the disparaging of Ball & others that it has caused.

Many are blaming the sidewards/going backwards passing, but I would query if this has increased that amount. It was just as prevalent in 2021. Not playing the ball into channels for Gray has also been raised. Why don't we do this? Perhaps because it is not our style & we didn't attempt to do this prior to his signing!

Do we need to move the ball forward quicker? Almost certainly, but both Willock & Chair prefer to move the ball individually by beating opponents rather than passing. This is not a criticism of them & earlier in the season they both created space & movement by managing to do this.

Have we run out of energy? I believe so. Adomah in particular looks out on his feet. Along with Austin & Johansen (all three players I've been pleased to have at the club), the trio look to need a longish rest.

The change in defence must be another reason. We had been playing Dickie, Dunne/De Wijs, Barbet in their set positions all of 2021, but even now we have moved Dickie into the middle of the three. Why? I can only assume that it is due to his lack of pace, but it has unbalanced us.

Injuries have not helped either, but in the main Marshall & Westwood have been adequate at worst. I believe that the injury to McCallum earlier in the season was a real blow. Think back to the Everton game & the triangles he played with Chair & Willock. It was beautiful to watch.

As stevec stated, we have a lot of players that will be here next season that will be the backbone of our side - Dieng, Dunne, Dickie, Field, Amos, Chair & Willock. I've not included Barbet , but I would love to add him to that list.

Finding the finance to fill the other places will be difficult though, as I'm not expecting any club to make any bid for these that would reach the club's estimation of their value. Let alone what supporters value them at!

It will be an interesting summer. Not least in will the club offer Warburton a new contract. I hope so.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2022 10:33]
Login to get fewer ads

Why has it all gone wrong? on 10:22 - Apr 6 with 2008 views1JD

Excellent analysis
Why has it all gone wrong? on 10:25 - Apr 6 with 1993 viewsdaveB

One of the things we did very well in 2021 was when playing out the midfield were on the half turn so when getting the ball with 2 or 3 passes we could be in on goal and creating space for Chair and Willock to operate in but we now seem very flat footed and not creating that space anymore. As much as I like Sam Field he needs to add some forward passes to his game.

The wing backs cut inside too often rather than delivering cross into the box and the movement of the front players is non existent meaning teams can block all space off in their half leaving our only option to be passing in our own half.

I think you can count on one hand how many times we've played well for 90 minutes this season. We've got very good players who have turned draws/defeats into wins but they are not miracle workers and eventually that was going to balance out.

Injuries haven't helped all season, losing Deing for basically the whole second half of the season bar 2 and a half games has had a big effect.

The collapse since the start of feb though has been incredible and heart breaking.
Why has it all gone wrong? on 10:32 - Apr 6 with 1971 viewsMungoJezza

Whilst last season's revival and consequent sparkling, successful football was founded on a serendipitous confluence of events (the return of the talismanic Austin, the resurrection of Wallace, the emergence of Willock and Dykes etc), this season's unravelling has resulted from a total clusterf**** of unfavourable happenings!
The team and the management look utterly listless, bereft of confidence and in desperate need for the season to end now!
Warburton did allude to the difficulty our young players have had in dealing with the weight of expectation, and has also praised the senior pros for their leadership, despite these same senior players failing to produce the goods on the pitch for much of the season. It is now apparent that promotion to the Premiership was not just an ambitious target set at the beginning of the season, but a prerequisite for Warburton keeping his job. Of course, it's not for me or any of us to tell the board they need to be a bit more patient, as we are not privy to what shape their personal or the club finances are really in at the moment. However, I do feel that Warbs needed (and deserved) another season at the helm to turn us into genuine promotion candidates. Hell, even that egomaniac Briatore based his grand plan on a four year cycle!

The Championship is a brutal league, with everyone so desperate to make that step up to the 'promised land' where failure is rewarded with £150M in prize money and parachute payments for finishing last - how mad is that!! This system breeds a 'win at all costs' mentality, where even the best equipped teams in the Championship (Fulham and Bournemouth) feel obligated to resort to shithousery of the highest order to ensure they get across the line. Perhaps that is Warburton's failing -that he is too decent and principled a man to thrive in a sport that has long since sold its soul?!
Why has it all gone wrong? on 10:34 - Apr 6 with 1962 viewskernowhoop

Even when we were doing well, earlier in the season, we were limited in what we could do. Lots of possession, yes, and some delightful football. We were sometimes apt to take a long time to work out how to get the ball forward. That is not only an issue for the defenders. Successful passing forward relies not just on the player with the ball, but on the attacking player who must be available. When teams worked out how we played, they pressed our defenders and closed down the attackers. Talented attackers can deal with this and Chris Willock does it with great style. But, to be a real threat, we need two other things — a) a pacy attacker who can break from defence and who represents a constant threat to opposition defenders and b) a forward who can receive, under-pressure, a hopeful lob forward and hang on to it long enough for support to arrive. We seem to have neither of those talents available, which limits our all-round play.
Why has it all gone wrong? on 10:34 - Apr 6 with 1954 viewsthemodfather

injuries piled up, i mean we have had at least FOUR goalies maybe 5, AFCON never helps either !!
for me KEY was not gambling/ signing on a loan striker or 2 to beef us up, Dykes is not a 20 goal a season player and goals win games and we dried up.
recent games we have had the mandatory possession but are always going back, back, side and back, you can't score going back and thereby cannot win.
a season with so much promise until january filters away but there are great memories and again we have sown stability and are nowhere near the dreaded bottom of the league. it was the hope that done us.....
Why has it all gone wrong? on 10:37 - Apr 6 with 1930 viewsandrew1302

Personally i do not think we are bad at the front or the back . There is simply a massive gap in the middle. Whilst it will not be popular look at Luton, super fit and fast. In midfield we are slow and in my view we look unfit. With the forwards we have i assume the idea is get the ball moving quickly to the wings and crosses to come in combined with the occasional opportunity of slotting Gray through on a run. The midfield simply is not performing. Adomah has gone from a star to someone who can't cross or beat a man, Johanson is slow and doesn't make a pass anymore and Hendrick is simply nothing and the most stupid signing we have done in a long time.
There are players in the squad who could do with game time so that they can improve and hopefully secure regular places next year - Amos, Thomas, Dozell. I think we can all agree top 6 finish is beyond unlikely so why on earth play a deeply unpopular loanee who contributes nothing to the team in Hendrick? Get the others out there and let them get game time.
And in the summer find a couple of fast and physical wingers and a similar center forward. We cannot afford much but neither can Luton and they have that fast big bloke up front who is a constant hassle. Charlie seems a spent force. Very overweight, too much time on Twitter , slow, lost his eye for goal and ever since he went off in a sulk and sat in the stand seemingly disinterested.
I am a supporter of Warburton but he is starting to worry me. he must see the season is up so why does he persist with the same old. We have to move the ball faster and more accurately. We go backwards , in my view, because the midfield is to slow both of these areas.
Why has it all gone wrong? on 11:51 - Apr 6 with 1816 viewsBurnleyhoop

Why has it all gone wrong? on 22:49 - Apr 5 by swisscottage

Chair is a shadow of the player he was in the first half of the season, but I also believe that is due to the complete lack of anyone around him capable of retaining possession.

He has no foil to rotate the ball. There's no one able to play the triangles that worked so well for us in the first half of the season and he probably feels he has to do it all on his own because there isn't a creative bone left elsewhere in the teams Warburton is selecting.

Half the team changes each bleeding match, there's no consistency of selection, and we cannot maintain any sort of rhythm without it.

Warburton continues to pick Hendricks who offers absolutely nothing defensively or offensively, when any of Ball, Amos or Dozell would provide something extra.
Ball energy and drive
Dozell better passing and a foil for Chair
Amos, box to box capable of making runs and getting goals.

Players who play well one match are dropped the next. Why didn't Thomas start? He was one of the few that had a good game on Saturday and then he gets dropped. When he would have been a better choice to start alongside Dykes.

For the second match running we've conceded a goal because we don't defend the edge of our box from set pieces. Its basic, and that is down to coaching. We did the same at the beginning of the second half and were lucky Sheffield didn't do more with the opportunity.

I have to say I've been a big defender of Warbuton through the rough patch in the first half of last season, but since the turn of the year I really do think he's lost the plot.

The three at the back and wing backs don't work unless we can retain possession and have someone in midfield who has some level of creativity(Johansen or Dozell) or ability to turn and drive with the ball(Ball). A midfield of Hendricks and Field is a dream midfield .. for the opposition to defend against.

We won't retain possession without playing players who are comfortable receiving and retaining the ball under pressure.

It just seems Warburton has buckled under the pressure of the run-in and moved the team away from what it was doing well in the first half of the season.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2022 22:50]

Agree completely. Chair was at his absolute best when he had Eze and or Willock around him. This also applies to the contribution of Wallace who’s own personal purple patch was achieved through the interplay with Chair and Willock in front of him. Chair has been taking pelters on here, but just who is on the same level when it comes to close control and passing interplay. Dykes couldn’t control the ball last night to save his life and Gray just wants early balls through the channels. Our midfielders just pass it backwards.

IMO Warburton got the selection completely wrong last night. To put two strikers on along with with two wing backs who were never likely to get down the line and sling crosses in was bizarre.

Just what were the tactics and game plan? Sheffield Utd have always had two monsters at centre back and the plan to “go direct “ if pressed was doomed to failure. Service to the strikers does not mean pumping the ball long 50 feet up in the air.

We do have a decent nucleas of a team here, but it needs surgery in the summer and the personnel need to fit the formation. The introduction of some pace has to be a priority, although this was alluded to by Warburton before he brought in Hendrick who has just added a further layer of plodding midfield play.

I am still in favour of retaining Warburton, but he does have a habit of sticking with the same game plan when it is clear to every man and his dog it just isn’t working, although the form and fitness of our summer acquisitions, with the exception of Field, has been hugely disappointing.

It hasn’t happened for us this season, and the reasons are varied and extensive, piss poor luck being chief among them.

Sacking the manager is not the answer.
Why has it all gone wrong? on 13:11 - Apr 6 with 1699 viewsHeadington

Why has it all gone wrong? on 10:20 - Apr 6 by terryb

None of us know Jon, but we all have our entrenched views that we will not move from!

IMO we have lost the spirit that drove us forward earlier in the season. I say that this is partly due to the two loan signings in January, but that may be like missing an open goal by a mile. I don't blame the two loanees for this, but the disparaging of Ball & others that it has caused.

Many are blaming the sidewards/going backwards passing, but I would query if this has increased that amount. It was just as prevalent in 2021. Not playing the ball into channels for Gray has also been raised. Why don't we do this? Perhaps because it is not our style & we didn't attempt to do this prior to his signing!

Do we need to move the ball forward quicker? Almost certainly, but both Willock & Chair prefer to move the ball individually by beating opponents rather than passing. This is not a criticism of them & earlier in the season they both created space & movement by managing to do this.

Have we run out of energy? I believe so. Adomah in particular looks out on his feet. Along with Austin & Johansen (all three players I've been pleased to have at the club), the trio look to need a longish rest.

The change in defence must be another reason. We had been playing Dickie, Dunne/De Wijs, Barbet in their set positions all of 2021, but even now we have moved Dickie into the middle of the three. Why? I can only assume that it is due to his lack of pace, but it has unbalanced us.

Injuries have not helped either, but in the main Marshall & Westwood have been adequate at worst. I believe that the injury to McCallum earlier in the season was a real blow. Think back to the Everton game & the triangles he played with Chair & Willock. It was beautiful to watch.

As stevec stated, we have a lot of players that will be here next season that will be the backbone of our side - Dieng, Dunne, Dickie, Field, Amos, Chair & Willock. I've not included Barbet , but I would love to add him to that list.

Finding the finance to fill the other places will be difficult though, as I'm not expecting any club to make any bid for these that would reach the club's estimation of their value. Let alone what supporters value them at!

It will be an interesting summer. Not least in will the club offer Warburton a new contract. I hope so.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2022 10:33]

Agree with this. I thought the midfield in the first half against Forest - Field, Dozzell, Amos and Willock moved the ball quickly and brought more energy to the team (until Willock went off injured). We don't see the best of Adomah in the wing back role (though he has done a good job there) he does fora 90 minute shift. He was more effective when he was brought in a more attacking role in second half of games where he was told to get forward more.
Why has it all gone wrong? on 15:36 - Apr 6 with 1544 viewsderbyhoop

Why has it all gone wrong? on 13:11 - Apr 6 by Headington

Agree with this. I thought the midfield in the first half against Forest - Field, Dozzell, Amos and Willock moved the ball quickly and brought more energy to the team (until Willock went off injured). We don't see the best of Adomah in the wing back role (though he has done a good job there) he does fora 90 minute shift. He was more effective when he was brought in a more attacking role in second half of games where he was told to get forward more.

I suspect we over achieved up to January. But as we approach the end of the season, it looks like too many of the older players look shot. Johanssen, Austin, Adomah and Wallace are all over 30 and it's showing. Add injury to our most creative player, Willock, and we look pedestrian. Field breaks up opposition moves but rarely passes forward. Hendrick offers nothing creative.

Odebajo missed out last night and international call ups dictated the Fulham selection.

We all know the lack of pace is an issue. Whether we have the resources to find younger, quicker options, without selling one of the stars, will dictate how we do next season.
Play offs are gone. You don't reach the target losing 15 games and I'm sure that won't be the last defeat this year.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Why has it all gone wrong? on 15:54 - Apr 6 with 1513 viewsPinnerPaul

Injuries and loans, a couple of stats to mull over.

Willock has missed 3 defeats, Sanderson has started in 3 defeats, Hendrick has started 4.

Its probably a mixture of a number of things, but one player's fault - either through injury or poor form can't be blamed.
Why has it all gone wrong? on 18:23 - Apr 6 with 1393 viewseastside_r

There’s all the stuff that we can see and argue about, but I suspect something else (on top of all that) which will come out in due course.
Why has it all gone wrong? on 18:33 - Apr 6 with 1363 viewsR_from_afar

Why has it all gone wrong? on 18:23 - Apr 6 by eastside_r

There’s all the stuff that we can see and argue about, but I suspect something else (on top of all that) which will come out in due course.

I.e. The Curse 🤬

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Why has it all gone wrong? on 18:35 - Apr 6 with 1361 viewsPunteR

I think we were over achieving at the start but the older players have now ran out of steam. Plus injuries to key players. The January loans just haven't worked out whether its personality clashes or the change of direction/remit for the squad.?
It's possible the MW was always going to leave in the summer and maybe that's unsettled the team.?
Something isn't right behind the scenes whatever the case. I'll leave out the tactics and formation issues to other posters that know more than me..lol
Such a shame. I loved this team and they brought some pride back to the club so like everyone else I really hope they can regroup and give the last few games a real go and show everyone what they are capable of. Season isn't over yet.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Why has it all gone wrong? on 00:34 - Apr 7 with 1245 viewsbenhurst

I've figured it out - it all went wrong as soon as the matchday content moved from Recast back to YouTube!
Why has it all gone wrong? on 07:42 - Apr 7 with 1125 viewsPaddyhoops

Why has it all gone wrong? on 10:34 - Apr 6 by themodfather

injuries piled up, i mean we have had at least FOUR goalies maybe 5, AFCON never helps either !!
for me KEY was not gambling/ signing on a loan striker or 2 to beef us up, Dykes is not a 20 goal a season player and goals win games and we dried up.
recent games we have had the mandatory possession but are always going back, back, side and back, you can't score going back and thereby cannot win.
a season with so much promise until january filters away but there are great memories and again we have sown stability and are nowhere near the dreaded bottom of the league. it was the hope that done us.....

Funny you should mention Afcon as Issue.
If Chair and Deing are still here. We will lose them in the winter because of the world cup.
Or will the championship be on a break as well?
Apologies if somebody has mentioned this already.
Why has it all gone wrong? on 08:20 - Apr 7 with 1093 viewsstevec

Why has it all gone wrong? on 07:42 - Apr 7 by Paddyhoops

Funny you should mention Afcon as Issue.
If Chair and Deing are still here. We will lose them in the winter because of the world cup.
Or will the championship be on a break as well?
Apologies if somebody has mentioned this already.

4 week break in championship that covers group games and first round of knockouts.

You would imagine Dieng and Chair will be home by time that ends.
Why has it all gone wrong? on 09:45 - Apr 7 with 1017 viewsdaveB

Why has it all gone wrong? on 08:20 - Apr 7 by stevec

4 week break in championship that covers group games and first round of knockouts.

You would imagine Dieng and Chair will be home by time that ends.

Senegal likely to play England in the last 16 so hopefully Deing will be home after that
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024