Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just back 01:13 - Aug 5 with 12932 viewsrrrspricey

Well, a couple of hours ago at least

Schteve said, and I quote “I like to play attractive, attacking football. The priority is to win matches - but we want to win them in a certain style."

Saw precious little evidence of that today. Highlight yet again was Eze (what a revelation he's been eh) but could've been a lot worse if PNE had been more clinical.

Great chance for r cilla to have nicked a point late on but we offered fook all and didn't deserve a point if truth be told.

I'm not a tactical genius by a long shot but Freeman out wide just doesn't work., he needs to be more central where his distribution can hurt teams. If that were the case I'd rather see Sylla up front using his pace to get in behind defences.

Another plus was BFG mk2, thought he looked solid and was vocal throughout organising and motivating. Following his 45 minute run out against Swindon last week, hopefully Hall will be back sooner rather than later, couple that with Furlong's return and we'll have a half decent back line.

Onwards and upwards

Just back on 13:23 - Aug 5 with 3030 viewsAntti_Heinola

Just back on 10:32 - Aug 5 by Snipper

Erm, Reading finished emphatically behind us last season. Tut tut tut

ahh, i thought we beat ipswich first day! doh!

Bare bones.

Just back on 13:26 - Aug 5 with 3013 viewsAntti_Heinola

Just back on 11:54 - Aug 5 by Northernr

If the referee had just once let the play go on when one of them was rolling around it would have stopped.

Another easy rule change - goalkicks taken on the side the ball goes out - would stop some of it as well.

to be fair, the whole reason they changed that second rule was pedantic keepers taking it to the right side of the penalty box where the ball went out, wasn't it? I think it was supposed to stop timewasting. Hasnt worked, obvs.

Bare bones.

Just back on 13:45 - Aug 5 with 2965 viewsenfieldargh

If the referee had just once let the play go on when one of them was rolling around it would have stopped.

Another easy rule change - goalkicks taken on the side the ball goes out - would stop some of it as well.

This used to be a rule, when or why was it changed.

Once a keeper places the ball on the 6 yard box there should be a max of 15 seconds to kick the ball.

Give the keeper one reminder to speed up, 2nd time yellow ...then his future is in his hands

When a keeper is chasing the game he does it at a sprint quelle surprise.

I liked the VAR at the world cup for corners, it cut out all the nonsense overnight once the refs plucked up the courage to use it, it was almost stamped out...however certain refs still ignored it

captains fantastic
Poll: SWEET F'IN CAROLINE. Played every half time

Just back on 14:30 - Aug 5 with 2851 viewsfrancisbowles

Just back on 11:22 - Aug 5 by PinnerPaul

That means training refs to be doctors/physios.

More practical solution is an independent time keeper as in many sports.

Clock is stopped when ref signals - would end the fake injuries overnight.

As I posted earlier in the week about the Hockey World Cup I went to:-

1) EVERY penalty corner taken exactly 40 secs after award

2) EVERY restart after a goal taken exactly 40 seconds after the goal

3) Subs - Roll on/roll off - all done without referee getting involved and play being stopped

That and ball boys/girls placing ball where it goes out of play and hey presto you have a game that actually consists of proper play and no time wasting.

Yes, I get that but more could be done for the time wasting that is 'non injury' related. That is taking too long over set pieces, deliberate delaying tactics such as standing on the ball and not returning it to the opponents, managers kicking the ball, continuous arguing over penalties etc.

Yes an official timekeeper would be a good idea but it is not just about the time, it is about cheating to break up the momentum of the game.
Just back on 14:41 - Aug 5 with 2806 viewsLongsufferingR

Just back on 14:30 - Aug 5 by francisbowles

Yes, I get that but more could be done for the time wasting that is 'non injury' related. That is taking too long over set pieces, deliberate delaying tactics such as standing on the ball and not returning it to the opponents, managers kicking the ball, continuous arguing over penalties etc.

Yes an official timekeeper would be a good idea but it is not just about the time, it is about cheating to break up the momentum of the game.

Yes, speaking of managers kicking the ball, I thought an instruction had now been given that they can be yellow carded which can accumulate to a touchline ban. Yesterday the ball went out for our throw a few minutes from time and Neil volleyed it twenty yards back towards the centre circle. How is that not a booking? 4th official had a quick word with him instead. That'll teach him.

It's entirely down to the refs to enforce the rules and it's not happening.
Just back on 16:02 - Aug 5 with 2598 viewsToast_R

Is it me or did Ingham look a bit Rob Gob Greeny for their goal?
Why the hell is he not clearing everone out as the ball loops over? Poor.
Just back on 17:48 - Aug 5 with 2434 viewsBurnleyhoop

Smyth gave the keeper a tap on the tummy, but it was only after getting a real slap on the back of the head first. The antics from the keeper and some of the fake injuries were nothing short of disgraceful.

Agreed with Maclaren’s comment on letting the shackles off. More concerned with keeping it tight than really letting loose, although we had no driving force from central midfield and no vocal leadership.
Just back on 17:56 - Aug 5 with 2411 viewsBushRanger82

Was it Groundhog Day, yesterday?
Seemed so depressingly familiar.
Login to get fewer ads

Just back on 18:31 - Aug 5 with 2329 viewsdaveB

Just back on 16:02 - Aug 5 by Toast_R

Is it me or did Ingham look a bit Rob Gob Greeny for their goal?
Why the hell is he not clearing everone out as the ball loops over? Poor.

Not sure you can blame the keeper for that, if he goes for it and misses they have an open goal. For me Lynch should be heading that clear
Just back on 18:54 - Aug 5 with 2265 viewsingeminate

From memory towards the end for a goal kick he picked the ball up walked to the other side and then turned back and took it from the initial side instead. Not sure I’ve ever seen that before Absolute pi@@take!

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

Just back on 19:30 - Aug 5 with 2185 viewssmegma

Just back on 18:31 - Aug 5 by daveB

Not sure you can blame the keeper for that, if he goes for it and misses they have an open goal. For me Lynch should be heading that clear

Well it wasn't my fault !! He stopped as the ball went over his hands. He should've smashed that ball over the bar taking both players with it.
Just back on 19:36 - Aug 5 with 2167 viewskensalriser

Has a player ever been sent off for a second yellow for timewasting? That's the problem - once a player's carded he knows he's not going to get a second. Refs should be telling timewasting players at the issue of the first card that the next similar offence will be a second.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Just back on 20:00 - Aug 5 with 2105 viewsBoston

Lets be realistic gents, we did lose to the team that's currently seventh in the division and only out of the play offs by stats.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Just back on 20:17 - Aug 5 with 2077 viewsVancouverHoop

"Ingrams distribution is way down on Smithies and that is going to be an issue, he just couldn't find BOS with kicks to the left side and i don't think they were much better to the right flank so we seemed to turn over possession easily and frequently."

Absolutely. If that's the best he can do we are going to be pegged back constantly. We've done wellying over the heads of our mid-field to forwards who are to slow or short to compete for the ball all too often. A big part of Smithies game was his excellent distribution. If Ingram can't come close to that we should take a look at Lumley ASAP.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2018 20:18]
Just back on 20:20 - Aug 5 with 2057 viewsBoston

Just back on 20:17 - Aug 5 by VancouverHoop

"Ingrams distribution is way down on Smithies and that is going to be an issue, he just couldn't find BOS with kicks to the left side and i don't think they were much better to the right flank so we seemed to turn over possession easily and frequently."

Absolutely. If that's the best he can do we are going to be pegged back constantly. We've done wellying over the heads of our mid-field to forwards who are to slow or short to compete for the ball all too often. A big part of Smithies game was his excellent distribution. If Ingram can't come close to that we should take a look at Lumley ASAP.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2018 20:18]

You can teach distribution, I actually thought he did quite well otherwise.

Just back on 20:22 - Aug 5 with 2050 viewsNoelmc

My solution for time wasting would be to allow the referee to add double the time they consider wasted. Hopefully this would cut it out.
Just back on 20:22 - Aug 5 with 2050 viewsVancouverHoop

"You can teach distribution,"

Perhaps. Though Rob Green never seemed to manage to learn it.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2018 20:23]
Just back on 20:26 - Aug 5 with 2035 viewsBoston

Just back on 20:22 - Aug 5 by VancouverHoop

"You can teach distribution,"

Perhaps. Though Rob Green never seemed to manage to learn it.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2018 20:23]

Can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Just back on 20:29 - Aug 5 with 2029 viewsEsox_Lucius

PNE fans weren't impressed. :-(
http://www.pne-online.net/forum/showthread.php?106809-Match-Day-Thread-PNE-v-QPR

The grass is always greener.

Just back on 21:06 - Aug 5 with 1942 viewsMyke

Just back on 10:42 - Aug 5 by Northernr

Thought we were tremendously naive. They ran through all the same shithouse tricks they'd done at Loftus Road in April and we fell for them all over again.

Or the ref did Clive. You can't blame a team for playing in a certain way if the system allows it and no action is taken.
Just back on 10:34 - Aug 6 with 1626 viewsPinnerPaul

GK used to have to be taken from the same side as ball went out.

They changed it, ironically to speed up the game!

Still maintain the way to stop all this nonsense is to change the laws.

No one takes any notice of 30 mph speed limit, unless there is a camera in place.

However, re your point in the match report about 'head injuries'. I agree to an extent about referees pointing to head as a bit of a cop out - especially as the law or indeed the 'Guidance for officials' section bolted on to the laws doesn't even mention head injuries - its just another law myth. Play is only stopped if, in the opinion of the referee the player is seriously injured. Now looking over your shoulder, while trying to referee the game at the other end of the pitch, isn't the way any medical person would advise assessing an injury!, but referees are under no OBLIGATION to stop play just because a player is clutching his head.
Just back on 10:57 - Aug 6 with 1579 viewsNorthernr

Just back on 10:34 - Aug 6 by PinnerPaul

GK used to have to be taken from the same side as ball went out.

They changed it, ironically to speed up the game!

Still maintain the way to stop all this nonsense is to change the laws.

No one takes any notice of 30 mph speed limit, unless there is a camera in place.

However, re your point in the match report about 'head injuries'. I agree to an extent about referees pointing to head as a bit of a cop out - especially as the law or indeed the 'Guidance for officials' section bolted on to the laws doesn't even mention head injuries - its just another law myth. Play is only stopped if, in the opinion of the referee the player is seriously injured. Now looking over your shoulder, while trying to referee the game at the other end of the pitch, isn't the way any medical person would advise assessing an injury!, but referees are under no OBLIGATION to stop play just because a player is clutching his head.

One of the three times it was stopped on Saturday the player wasn't even down, he just walked over to the referee holding the side of his face, said something, and suddenly it's game stopped and England is frantically pointing at his head to indicate a head injury again. If he can walk up to the referee then he can walk to the side of the pitch. I've quite liked him when we had him before but he was poor on Saturday.
Just back on 11:42 - Aug 6 with 1501 viewsjonno

Just back on 10:57 - Aug 6 by Northernr

One of the three times it was stopped on Saturday the player wasn't even down, he just walked over to the referee holding the side of his face, said something, and suddenly it's game stopped and England is frantically pointing at his head to indicate a head injury again. If he can walk up to the referee then he can walk to the side of the pitch. I've quite liked him when we had him before but he was poor on Saturday.

Had the situation been reversed and us as the away team were winning 1-0 when one of our players indicated to the ref he had a head injury I can guarantee the game would not have been stopped!
Just back on 12:11 - Aug 6 with 1469 viewswrinklyhoop

Just back on 10:42 - Aug 5 by Northernr

Thought we were tremendously naive. They ran through all the same shithouse tricks they'd done at Loftus Road in April and we fell for them all over again.

Sorry Clive, as several others have pointed out, it was the weakness of Darren England falling for all the Preston cynicism. I don't want to support a Club who resort to stuff like that, even if you do.
Just back on 12:46 - Aug 6 with 1410 viewsessextaxiboy

Just back on 12:11 - Aug 6 by wrinklyhoop

Sorry Clive, as several others have pointed out, it was the weakness of Darren England falling for all the Preston cynicism. I don't want to support a Club who resort to stuff like that, even if you do.

No one is saying we should adopt them, just that we should wise up and not give them the chance and that the officials or the laws stamp it out.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024