Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Coronation 17:42 - Apr 30 with 11228 viewsjohnlangy

“I swear that I will pay true allegiance to your majesty, and to your heirs and successors according to law. So help me God.”

Seriously. When I heard that The Archbishop of Canterbury was going to 'invite' the whole Nation to swear this oath, at the same time I presume, I couldn't believe it. Are they hoping that we'll all stand in front of our TV's and swear with hand on heart, maybe bowing our heads, perhaps wearing a hat specifically so we can doff it at the same time ?

It would be like being one of 65 million extras on a Blackadder special. It really is that ridiculous.
The Coronation on 12:58 - May 13 with 1283 viewsBryanSwan

The Coronation on 12:18 - May 13 by Whiterockin

Apart from the 18-24 age group the majority of the British public are in favour the monarchy. So much to your disappointment the BBC were providing the British public what they wanted.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/863893/support-for-the-monarchy-in-britain-b

You're not wrong, the BBC are serving their demographic. I don't think you'd find many even under 30 that watch much terrestrial television anymore.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

The Coronation on 12:59 - May 13 with 1282 viewscockett_jack

The Coronation on 12:07 - May 13 by felixstowe_jack

A wonderfull success last week approved by the majority of the people of the UK.

Time you gave up fawning over the unelected President of the EU and her 28 unelected EU commissioners. They have real power unlike our symbolic head of state.

Said it before but I do almost feel sorry for Welsh nationalists, particularly the ones on here (and especially the one living in a shithole in the back of beyond of Ireland). Perpetually wound up and jumped up by being in a minority which is completely counter to what they believe in/want. Must be dreadful to know you’ll pass before what you are obsessed with will never happen whilst you’re alive.
The Coronation on 13:25 - May 14 with 1210 viewsKilkennyjack

The Coronation on 12:18 - May 13 by Whiterockin

Apart from the 18-24 age group the majority of the British public are in favour the monarchy. So much to your disappointment the BBC were providing the British public what they wanted.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/863893/support-for-the-monarchy-in-britain-b

Lets test it on a ‘pay per view’ basis.

Repeats of Bullseye would attract more viewers willing to pay, ffs.

Beware of the Risen People

The Coronation on 13:27 - May 14 with 1209 viewsKilkennyjack

The Coronation on 12:59 - May 13 by cockett_jack

Said it before but I do almost feel sorry for Welsh nationalists, particularly the ones on here (and especially the one living in a shithole in the back of beyond of Ireland). Perpetually wound up and jumped up by being in a minority which is completely counter to what they believe in/want. Must be dreadful to know you’ll pass before what you are obsessed with will never happen whilst you’re alive.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

Mahatma Gandhi

Get it right up ye !! 🤣

The Coronation on 16:30 - May 14 with 1181 viewsWhiterockin

The Coronation on 13:25 - May 14 by Kilkennyjack

Lets test it on a ‘pay per view’ basis.

Repeats of Bullseye would attract more viewers willing to pay, ffs.

Just like independence mate you know it's never going to happen.
The Coronation on 17:08 - May 14 with 1171 viewsKilkennyjack

The Coronation on 16:30 - May 14 by Whiterockin

Just like independence mate you know it's never going to happen.

Fe godwn ni eto … 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

The Coronation on 17:28 - May 14 with 1152 viewsWhiterockin

The Coronation on 17:08 - May 14 by Kilkennyjack

Fe godwn ni eto … 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

In your dreams.
The Coronation on 19:25 - May 14 with 1128 viewscockett_jack

The Coronation on 13:27 - May 14 by Kilkennyjack

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

Mahatma Gandhi

Get it right up ye !! 🤣

Do you genuinely think independence will happen in your lifetime? Look how many people on here alone/support a Welsh club you apparently (and I must stress that word) support yet hold the opposite view quite strongly. Makes a bit of a mockery of what you stand for, this idea about justice for Wales/Welsh nationalism and a collective identity/belief yet it’s very clearly a minority movement and a small one at that.
Login to get fewer ads

The Coronation on 21:02 - May 14 with 1100 viewsTogg

The Coronation on 19:25 - May 14 by cockett_jack

Do you genuinely think independence will happen in your lifetime? Look how many people on here alone/support a Welsh club you apparently (and I must stress that word) support yet hold the opposite view quite strongly. Makes a bit of a mockery of what you stand for, this idea about justice for Wales/Welsh nationalism and a collective identity/belief yet it’s very clearly a minority movement and a small one at that.

There's absolutely very little interest in Welsh Independence. The odd car sticker or some silly bint with a a 'Yes Cymru T shirt'. Other than that most sensible people don't give a fig and are more than happy to be part of the UK. When you travel down to Ceredigion to work and see loads of Union Jacks and people celebrating the coronation, surely that tells you where the Welsh nation is. Personally I'm totally ambivalent to the royal family but I am more than happy to be part of a United Kingdom along with England, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
The Coronation on 06:57 - May 15 with 1078 viewsBryanSwan

The Coronation on 21:02 - May 14 by Togg

There's absolutely very little interest in Welsh Independence. The odd car sticker or some silly bint with a a 'Yes Cymru T shirt'. Other than that most sensible people don't give a fig and are more than happy to be part of the UK. When you travel down to Ceredigion to work and see loads of Union Jacks and people celebrating the coronation, surely that tells you where the Welsh nation is. Personally I'm totally ambivalent to the royal family but I am more than happy to be part of a United Kingdom along with England, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Polling does regularly show that around 1/5 are pro Welsh independence. Obviously a long way off but i wouldn't think such a figure shows very little interest.

It's extraordinary that approximately a fifth of the country are apparently "silly bints".

The Coronation on 08:35 - May 15 with 1058 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

The Coronation on 06:57 - May 15 by BryanSwan

Polling does regularly show that around 1/5 are pro Welsh independence. Obviously a long way off but i wouldn't think such a figure shows very little interest.

It's extraordinary that approximately a fifth of the country are apparently "silly bints".

It is extraordinary. I would have put it much higher than that.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

The Coronation on 09:54 - May 15 with 1033 viewsmajorraglan

The Coronation on 08:35 - May 15 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

It is extraordinary. I would have put it much higher than that.

I think it would have been, but there have been massive shifts in population demographics in the last 5-6 years with numerous incomers from east of Offa’s Dyke moving in to Wales. That’s why there have been decreases in the Welsh speaking population in places like Carmarthenshire.
The Coronation on 16:54 - May 15 with 995 viewsKilkennyjack

The Coronation on 21:02 - May 14 by Togg

I’d be really interested on your view on …..

1. HS2 generating huge investment sums for England and consequentials for Scotland and the north of Ireland, but zero monies for Wales.
2. Crown Estate in Scotland now run by Scottish Govt for the benefit of the people of Scotland, Wales is denied the same consideration
3. Cardiff Airport not treated like airports in Scotland the north of Ireland, why ?
4. Is reducing the number of welsh mp’s a positive step for Wales ?

If we have modernised UK then i would be for giving that a go, but with the muscular unionism of Johnson etc then its a pipe dream. Rishi Sunak has even commented on the Bannau Brycheiniog. But not much to say on replacing the EU funding that Brexit took from Wales.

Its a bit more complex than clapping Prince Andrew in his Mr Benn dressing up costumes …..🇬🇧

The Coronation on 06:56 - May 16 with 930 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The Coronation on 16:54 - May 15 by Kilkennyjack

I’d be really interested on your view on …..

1. HS2 generating huge investment sums for England and consequentials for Scotland and the north of Ireland, but zero monies for Wales.
2. Crown Estate in Scotland now run by Scottish Govt for the benefit of the people of Scotland, Wales is denied the same consideration
3. Cardiff Airport not treated like airports in Scotland the north of Ireland, why ?
4. Is reducing the number of welsh mp’s a positive step for Wales ?

If we have modernised UK then i would be for giving that a go, but with the muscular unionism of Johnson etc then its a pipe dream. Rishi Sunak has even commented on the Bannau Brycheiniog. But not much to say on replacing the EU funding that Brexit took from Wales.

Its a bit more complex than clapping Prince Andrew in his Mr Benn dressing up costumes …..🇬🇧

Wales has had far more extra funding under the Barnet formula rhan it ever got from the EU. You do of course forget that the EU funding was only money the UK Taxpayers paid to the EU in the first place.

It seems the local business in the Brecon Beacons have started a campaign to revert back to the Breacon Beacons as they have spent many years promoting the area to become a world wide successful tourist spot. Time the Brecon Beacons national park actually listened to the people who live and work there.

You do realise they have named the park after a Welsh Prince who while a hostage of the King of Powys raped his daughter.
Do the Welsh really want a national park named ofter a rapist.

Though what you post has to do with the coronation only you know.
[Post edited 16 May 2023 6:58]

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

The Coronation on 06:59 - May 16 with 926 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The Coronation on 06:57 - May 15 by BryanSwan

That means of course 80% of Welsh people want to stay as part of a United Kingdom.

The Coronation on 07:15 - May 16 with 923 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The Coronation on 09:54 - May 15 by majorraglan

I think it would have been, but there have been massive shifts in population demographics in the last 5-6 years with numerous incomers from east of Offa’s Dyke moving in to Wales. That’s why there have been decreases in the Welsh speaking population in places like Carmarthenshire.

In the 2021 census, 283,000 English people were resident in Wales which is actually down by 20% from the 2011 census.
By comparison 600,000 Welsh people live in England.

The Coronation on 09:25 - May 16 with 903 viewsjohnlangy

The Coronation on 07:15 - May 16 by felixstowe_jack

In the 2021 census, 283,000 English people were resident in Wales which is actually down by 20% from the 2011 census.
By comparison 600,000 Welsh people live in England.

That's a very odd way of looking at it felix. What you are quoting is the number of people who said they are English only.

In the census. The number of people who said they were born in England was 636,000, which is 21% of the population. By contrast, if the 600,000 Welsh people living in England is numerically correct that makes them about 1% of the population of England.

I don't understand why you would deliberately quote such misleading numbers when all the details are there for all to see.
The Coronation on 09:29 - May 16 with 902 viewsBryanSwan

The Coronation on 06:59 - May 16 by felixstowe_jack

That means of course 80% of Welsh people want to stay as part of a United Kingdom.

Correct, depending on the eligible answers 80% voted for status quo or don't know/wouldn't vote.

The Coronation on 11:20 - May 16 with 891 viewsjohnlangy

The Coronation on 09:29 - May 16 by BryanSwan

Correct, depending on the eligible answers 80% voted for status quo or don't know/wouldn't vote.

What felix said was 'That means of course 80% of Welsh people want to stay as part of a United Kingdom.'

Actually what you're pointing out is that felix's statement is not correct. Saying you don't know or wouldn't vote does not mean that you want to stay as part of the union. The percentage that said they wanted to stay as part of the union was 55%. That is a very long way from 80%.

And that percentage is much lower in the younger age groups. The figure is around 42% in the people aged up to 50.

That leaves about 25% who didn't know if they would vote yes or no. Which obviously means they could vote no. But they could also vote yes.
The Coronation on 14:45 - May 16 with 834 viewsWhiterockin

The Coronation on 11:20 - May 16 by johnlangy

What felix said was 'That means of course 80% of Welsh people want to stay as part of a United Kingdom.'

Actually what you're pointing out is that felix's statement is not correct. Saying you don't know or wouldn't vote does not mean that you want to stay as part of the union. The percentage that said they wanted to stay as part of the union was 55%. That is a very long way from 80%.

And that percentage is much lower in the younger age groups. The figure is around 42% in the people aged up to 50.

That leaves about 25% who didn't know if they would vote yes or no. Which obviously means they could vote no. But they could also vote yes.

Or they could not vote at all, like many others. To some, politics and voting means nothing to them and to be honest with the choices we currently have who can blame them.
The Coronation on 15:26 - May 16 with 822 viewsBryanSwan

The Coronation on 11:20 - May 16 by johnlangy

Apologies, yes i got that wrong. I do think that "dont know" or "wouldn't vote" voters are always more likely to vote no change though.
Either way i think getting to closer to the 50% mark is a fair way off, most likely decades.

The Coronation on 15:40 - May 16 with 819 viewsjohnlangy

The Coronation on 15:26 - May 16 by BryanSwan

Apologies, yes i got that wrong. I do think that "dont know" or "wouldn't vote" voters are always more likely to vote no change though.
Either way i think getting to closer to the 50% mark is a fair way off, most likely decades.

You are right in saying that 'don't knows' and 'wouldn't vote' people are more likely to vote no. But that applies in the context of where we are now where there has been no campaign.

At the start of the Scottish Indy ref the yes vote was low to mid thirties. After two years of campaigning the yes vote became 48% or so. Which means around 15% were persuaded by the argument.

The same would apply in a similar Welsh situation. But currently the potential 'yes' vote in Wales is significantly lower than in Scotland in 2012. Which means nothing is going to happen for some time.
The Coronation on 18:10 - May 16 with 790 viewsKilkennyjack

The Coronation on 15:40 - May 16 by johnlangy

You are right in saying that 'don't knows' and 'wouldn't vote' people are more likely to vote no. But that applies in the context of where we are now where there has been no campaign.

At the start of the Scottish Indy ref the yes vote was low to mid thirties. After two years of campaigning the yes vote became 48% or so. Which means around 15% were persuaded by the argument.

The same would apply in a similar Welsh situation. But currently the potential 'yes' vote in Wales is significantly lower than in Scotland in 2012. Which means nothing is going to happen for some time.

Well said John.

The triggers for Cymru will be Indy Scotland and a United Ireland. Both inevitable given the views of the young.

Its then that Wales will step forward.

The Coronation on 18:15 - May 16 with 788 viewsKilkennyjack

Swansea had just 22 road closures for Coronation parties.
And they made the applications free.

There is more interest in watching Cardiff City.

Years ago there would have been hundreds. 🇬🇧

The Coronation on 18:22 - May 16 with 782 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The Coronation on 15:40 - May 16 by johnlangy

Current % of people in Scotland who would vote for independence is now at 46% exactly as it was in the 2014 referendum. Despite nearly 10 years of the SNP single issue government they have made no progress.

The Welsh situation is just as bad with only 20% of the Welsh people wanting independence and PC share of the vote fell in the 2019 General election and Senedd election.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024