Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Please help me understand this! 06:48 - Apr 10 with 3899 viewssoulboy

As i've only been watching The Dale since 1966, i wonder if someone, preferably a supporter of our chairman, can explain this. The chairman appoints a new manager who turns out to be a disaster. Almost half way through the season he is fired and an interim one is appointed who turns out to be even worse. Another manager is appointed who up to now has 14 points from 14 games, relegation form. In the summer players who have proved they aren't good enough will be shown the door. The chairman publicliy states he has got two major descisions wrong and the entire mess is his all fault. Despite this he hasn't offered to resign. Can someone explain how the chairman is still in his job?
Please help me understand this! on 13:45 - Apr 10 with 892 viewsD_Alien

Having a bit of a giggle at some of the points made in this thread!

For a start, every director puts a minimum of £30k into the club, every season - either that or Andrew Kelly is a liar, and whilst i don't agree with him on some statements he comes out with I've no reason to doubt him on that point.

Chris Dunphy is first and foremost a Dale fan, so every decision he takes in the belief it's in the best interests of the club which then goes wrong, gives him far more grief than the utter tools who post on here just to look like they know any better how to oversee the running of a football league club with dire support.

The idea of resigning due to getting a managerial appointment wrong and mistiming his dismissal would, if applied consistently across the football league, have boardroom chairs swivelling faster than a pole dancer with thrush.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Please help me understand this! on 13:46 - Apr 10 with 890 viewselectricblue

Please help me understand this! on 13:39 - Apr 10 by judd

Hmm.

CV states "Managed Real Barcelona Reserves to win Europa League"

Question - "Did you manage Real Barcelona to win Europa League?"

Answer - "Yes".

Response - "Job's yours"

Nah...your on drugs.

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Please help me understand this! on 13:46 - Apr 10 with 890 viewsSuddenLad

Please help me understand this! on 12:49 - Apr 10 by JumeirahDale

I can see some validity in some of your points, however starting with 'hindsight isn't really the point' doesn't work. Hindsight is the point. All those lining up to watch CD fall on his sword might have mumbled a few words of concern when SE was appointed, but it was hardly the mass protest your post makes it sound like.

I'm happy for people to criticise the non-playing side of the club (which we all know needs a kick up the arse), but having a go at CD for making a decision which he made with the best intentions and didn't come off (and he has now apologised for) is the mark of a sh*thouse.

Oh and Phil, if you think the Directors have made net zero contribution to the club you might want to find another thread, this one is probably a bit over your head pal.

Hindsight wasn't relevant when either of the appointments of Keith Hill and/or Steve Eyre were made. That's the point I'm making. What we 'see' now is a different matter.

I think the 'Dunphy Out' brigade are utterly clueless, and if nothing else, disrespectful. He realises that he 'messed up', has had the 'balls' to admit his mistakes, attempted to correct them and now we move on - older and wiser.

We are where we are in spite of, or because of, the earlier decisions. Appointing Beech was the worst decision, however 'temporarily'. That was when we should have gone all out to get the new permanent manager, and THAT delay has ultimately proved fatal for our League One status.

Just think, Beech was also one of the short-listed candidates for the full time position last summer !!

I wasn't too vocal when Eyre was pointed, because like at least 95% of people on here, I didn't know enough (or anything) about him. I wasn't privy to the contents of his CV, nor was I present when he was interviewed. As supporters, we have to place our trust in the Chairman and Board of Directors to make decisions that best suit the club. I remain 100% convinced that Chris Dunphy is the best man to be Chairman of this club.

He undoubtedly knows that appointing Steve Eyre was 100% the wrong decision.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Please help me understand this! on 13:49 - Apr 10 with 881 viewsjudd

Please help me understand this! on 13:46 - Apr 10 by electricblue

Nah...your on drugs.

You may very well be surprised...

Poll: What is it to be then?

Please help me understand this! on 13:57 - Apr 10 with 868 viewsD_Alien

Oh, and just one other thing...

"Can someone explain how the chairman is still in his job?"

It's not a job. If you start from the misunderstanding that it is, your post will make you look like a tool, despite three thumbs up from other tools.

Please help me understand this! on 14:41 - Apr 10 with 841 viewsYadHoDale

I remember Dale being chaired by Tommy Cannon..

CD (and Killie before him) haven't been perfect but overall have seen a steady improvement - with some setbacks, like this season.

I started watching Dale regularly in 80/81. Of the teams we played in Div 4 that season:
Aldershot have gone bust & had to reform and fight their way up the leagues.
Bradford have been to the premiership AND receivership and will be playing Dale next year.
Bury have had their highs and lows and financial woes.
Bournemouth have been in admin & stayed in the league because Chester/Luton were even more badly run.
Donny, Colchester, Hereford and Torquay have had spells in the Conference.
Darlo, Lincoln, Mansfield, Stockport and York are all currently out of the league.
Halifax have gone bust & had to reform.
Southend are currently in the financial poo (unless someone has invested since last summer) .
Wimbledon went up, won the cup, got franchised and had to start again.

Crewe, Hartlepool, Scunny and maybe Northampton seem to have been properly run - good luck to them - whilst Peterborough and Wigan have had the good fortune to have wealthy and competent backers who are in for the long haul.

Compared with some of the above, Dale have done alright with Killie and CD...
Please help me understand this! on 14:50 - Apr 10 with 829 viewsD_Alien

Please help me understand this! on 13:57 - Apr 10 by D_Alien

Oh, and just one other thing...

"Can someone explain how the chairman is still in his job?"

It's not a job. If you start from the misunderstanding that it is, your post will make you look like a tool, despite three thumbs up from other tools.

Make that four now

Someone's after the box set

Please help me understand this! on 14:54 - Apr 10 with 822 viewsSuddenLad

Please help me understand this! on 14:41 - Apr 10 by YadHoDale

I remember Dale being chaired by Tommy Cannon..

CD (and Killie before him) haven't been perfect but overall have seen a steady improvement - with some setbacks, like this season.

I started watching Dale regularly in 80/81. Of the teams we played in Div 4 that season:
Aldershot have gone bust & had to reform and fight their way up the leagues.
Bradford have been to the premiership AND receivership and will be playing Dale next year.
Bury have had their highs and lows and financial woes.
Bournemouth have been in admin & stayed in the league because Chester/Luton were even more badly run.
Donny, Colchester, Hereford and Torquay have had spells in the Conference.
Darlo, Lincoln, Mansfield, Stockport and York are all currently out of the league.
Halifax have gone bust & had to reform.
Southend are currently in the financial poo (unless someone has invested since last summer) .
Wimbledon went up, won the cup, got franchised and had to start again.

Crewe, Hartlepool, Scunny and maybe Northampton seem to have been properly run - good luck to them - whilst Peterborough and Wigan have had the good fortune to have wealthy and competent backers who are in for the long haul.

Compared with some of the above, Dale have done alright with Killie and CD...

Compared with some of those examples, Dale have not only thrived, but could be seen as an overwhelming success story.

No thanks to Tommy Cannon though.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Login to get fewer ads

Please help me understand this! on 15:46 - Apr 10 with 794 viewssoulboy

Please help me understand this! on 12:27 - Apr 10 by raadale

I've read some tripe on this messageboard recently, in fact it's becoming pretty famous for it. But this topic has to be the tripiest i've ever read. Sack the chairman indeed. If you've been watching Dale since 1966 and you think this is bad then you've had your eyes firmly shut and your head buried in the sand for quite a lot of the last 45 years. In the middle of one of the worst economic periods for a very long time we have a safe and secure club and have money for a decent assault on league 2 next year. I assume you were 100% against the Eyre, Beech and Coleman signings when dunphy employed them? I just can't seem to find your posts of disgust from those time periods yet Dunphy is supposed to have the power of foresight about it and therefore should fall on his sword accordingly.

Yes we've not had a good season but anybody who wants Coleman out already when he's been playing with Eyres team and a few loan signings and hasn't had the benefit of any sort of transfer window wants their bumps felt.

Maybe we should sell the club to somebody who doeasn't give a shit but says they've got lots of money, i hear munto finance are in the market.

No raadale ive not had my head buried in the sand since 1966, ive seen the vast majority of home games and a hell of a lot of away games. Ive also seen a great side that just missed out on the play-offs reduced to a team that started every week with 4 or 5 loanees and within 5 months were in the bottom 4. I didnt post any critiscism of the appoiontment of SE as i expected him to have gone through at least one rigorous interview where he would have had to outline his strategy for this season and what benefits he would bring to Spotland. I also expected, along with most Dale fans, some money would have been spent to replace Dawson, COG and Wiseman, not kept in the bank until next season when the inevitable relegation (after finishing bottom) will have taken place.
Please help me understand this! on 15:54 - Apr 10 with 786 viewsTVOS1907

Please help me understand this! on 15:46 - Apr 10 by soulboy

No raadale ive not had my head buried in the sand since 1966, ive seen the vast majority of home games and a hell of a lot of away games. Ive also seen a great side that just missed out on the play-offs reduced to a team that started every week with 4 or 5 loanees and within 5 months were in the bottom 4. I didnt post any critiscism of the appoiontment of SE as i expected him to have gone through at least one rigorous interview where he would have had to outline his strategy for this season and what benefits he would bring to Spotland. I also expected, along with most Dale fans, some money would have been spent to replace Dawson, COG and Wiseman, not kept in the bank until next season when the inevitable relegation (after finishing bottom) will have taken place.

Eyre was given money to spend but found himself unable to do so for various reasons, such as unrealistic targets and excessive wage demands.

In January, we didn't have a 'proper' manager to spend any money until a week before the window shut.

And all these loans won't have come cheap.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Please help me understand this! on 16:03 - Apr 10 with 767 viewselectricblue

Please help me understand this! on 15:54 - Apr 10 by TVOS1907

Eyre was given money to spend but found himself unable to do so for various reasons, such as unrealistic targets and excessive wage demands.

In January, we didn't have a 'proper' manager to spend any money until a week before the window shut.

And all these loans won't have come cheap.

"All these loans wont have come cheap".
Makes you wonder what next seaaon waqe budget will be and how much in the war chest to actually buy players..

Please help me understand this! on 16:29 - Apr 10 with 734 viewselectricblue

Please help me understand this! on 13:46 - Apr 10 by electricblue

Nah...your on drugs.

I will take that back now that i got to read your post properly....apologies

Please help me understand this! on 16:43 - Apr 10 with 713 viewsfrenzied

We couldnt wish for a better chairman than the one we have...he will be hurting far more than many Dale fans
Please help me understand this! on 17:52 - Apr 10 with 664 viewsVespa

Please help me understand this! on 10:34 - Apr 10 by BlueDutch

It will be interesting, if come next April we are in a similar position in League 2. I can't see Coleman attracting players any better than ones he had at Accrington Stanley. Rochdale are fast becoming the same club as in pre Parkin days. But unfortunately not as well run off the field as they were then. I hope I am wrong but I see a very tricky couple of seasons coming up, unless someone with money comes along to boost the coffers. I personally think Dunphy is out of his depth, but like someone said, there is nobody else, so we are stuck with him.

*But unfortunately not as well run off the field as they were then.*

I think a £400,000 profit would would contradict.

Up the Dale, C'mon Hornets

Please help me understand this! on 18:02 - Apr 10 with 659 viewselectricblue

Please help me understand this! on 17:52 - Apr 10 by Vespa

£400,000 profit from where......
Was that mentioned at the shareholders meeting?
If so well done dale may it be the first of many profitable seasons..
Now spend it wisely..

Please help me understand this! on 18:04 - Apr 10 with 626 viewsolympicdale

I stopped reading this when I got to the last 2 sentences, ridiculous to suggest after one mistake in his tenure he should leave, knee and jerk spring to mind.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Life is a game of fate.

Please help me understand this! on 18:21 - Apr 10 with 616 viewsTVOS1907

Please help me understand this! on 17:52 - Apr 10 by Vespa

I think this is made up mainly of sell-ons and other bonuses from transfers of players who left us many seasons ago, as well as some TV monies.

I'm sure a shareholder will be able to tell us more.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Please help me understand this! on 18:34 - Apr 10 with 604 views442Dale

Please help me understand this! on 18:21 - Apr 10 by TVOS1907

I think this is made up mainly of sell-ons and other bonuses from transfers of players who left us many seasons ago, as well as some TV monies.

I'm sure a shareholder will be able to tell us more.

There was indeed a 400k+ profit up to May '11.

The differences between our promotion season in 2010 and the first year in League One indicate why:

An increase of 139k in gate receipts.

An increase of over 150k in revenue from tv games (Birmingham and FCUM)

And crucially from the League/FA Pool an increase of 419k.

All these are, of course, linked to on the pitch performance.

There's no doubt the club are in the right hands but we cannot continue to miss opportunities off the field and that side of the club has to improve after relegation. If it doesn't, we'll notice in the future.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Please help me understand this! on 18:46 - Apr 10 with 589 viewselectricblue

Please help me understand this! on 18:34 - Apr 10 by 442Dale

There was indeed a 400k+ profit up to May '11.

The differences between our promotion season in 2010 and the first year in League One indicate why:

An increase of 139k in gate receipts.

An increase of over 150k in revenue from tv games (Birmingham and FCUM)

And crucially from the League/FA Pool an increase of 419k.

All these are, of course, linked to on the pitch performance.

There's no doubt the club are in the right hands but we cannot continue to miss opportunities off the field and that side of the club has to improve after relegation. If it doesn't, we'll notice in the future.

So fiancially a good year but totally adrift on the pitch....
All those add ons came into dales coffers eventually..good ho.

Please help me understand this! on 18:57 - Apr 10 with 583 views442Dale

Please help me understand this! on 18:46 - Apr 10 by electricblue

So fiancially a good year but totally adrift on the pitch....
All those add ons came into dales coffers eventually..good ho.

That was up to May of last year. We may see similar figures in 12 months for the year up to May '12 - though we've not been on tv.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Please help me understand this! on 19:02 - Apr 10 with 576 viewsBobbyjoe

The chairman resigning would be as sensible as sacking the manager.
Please help me understand this! on 08:26 - Apr 11 with 519 viewsjudd

Please help me understand this! on 19:02 - Apr 10 by Bobbyjoe

The chairman resigning would be as sensible as sacking the manager.

Bloody hell, Bobbyjoe, you don't want Coleman sacked as well do you?

Please help me understand this! on 09:27 - Apr 11 with 488 viewsSFD

Please help me understand this! on 08:26 - Apr 11 by judd

Bloody hell, Bobbyjoe, you don't want Coleman sacked as well do you?

I fairness most managers would resign after that performance and team selection last night
Please help me understand this! on 09:30 - Apr 11 with 486 viewsjudd

Please help me understand this! on 09:27 - Apr 11 by SFD

I fairness most managers would resign after that performance and team selection last night

..and refund the home crowds' ticket money/queue at the Dale Bar for them/blow on their pie etc...

Please help me understand this! on 09:35 - Apr 11 with 477 viewsSFD

Please help me understand this! on 09:30 - Apr 11 by judd

..and refund the home crowds' ticket money/queue at the Dale Bar for them/blow on their pie etc...

you get the idea
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024