Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sports Bar in LA. - Mind Blown. 19:01 - Aug 17 with 5504 viewsTripper

Sports Bar in LA. - Mind Blown. on 19:15 - Aug 17 with 4710 viewsBoston

You can only imagine how good blue and white hoops would look on that screen.

But truthfully, most fixtures would be right bollocky, time of the morning you'd be sat up to watch.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Sports Bar in LA. - Mind Blown. on 19:22 - Aug 17 with 4643 viewsTripper

Sports Bar in LA. - Mind Blown. on 19:15 - Aug 17 by Boston

You can only imagine how good blue and white hoops would look on that screen.

But truthfully, most fixtures would be right bollocky, time of the morning you'd be sat up to watch.

Surely will be huge. Imagine the demand for a World Cup Final, Taylor Swift concert etc.
Sports Bar in LA. - Mind Blown. on 19:35 - Aug 17 with 4494 viewsBoston

Sports Bar in LA. - Mind Blown. on 19:22 - Aug 17 by Tripper

Surely will be huge. Imagine the demand for a World Cup Final, Taylor Swift concert etc.

Ah, get yer point now, yeah, can just see a screen that size in the Shepherd & Flock

Sports Bar in LA. - Mind Blown. on 11:49 - Aug 18 with 3848 viewsNorthernr

If I sat near that camera at games I'd hang my coat over it.
Sports Bar in LA. - Mind Blown. on 11:57 - Aug 18 with 3784 viewsMrSheen

From Las Vegas, getting a bit Clockwork Orange.

Sports Bar in LA. - Mind Blown. on 12:33 - Aug 18 with 3592 viewsdmm

Sports Bar in LA. - Mind Blown. on 11:57 - Aug 18 by MrSheen

Sports Bar in LA. - Mind Blown. on 12:58 - Aug 18 with 3490 viewsDannyPaddox

The Man Who Fell to EFL
Sports Bar in LA. - Mind Blown. on 13:16 - Aug 18 with 3406 viewsWatford_Ranger

Don’t really see the point. You can’t make it feel like you’re there and you just get a worse view than you do on a normal TV.
Login to get fewer ads

Sports Bar in LA. - Mind Blown. on 13:33 - Aug 18 with 3347 viewsDannyPaddox

Director’s cut
[Post edited 18 Aug 13:34]
Sports Bar in LA. - Mind Blown. on 13:39 - Aug 18 with 3301 viewsMrSheen

Sports Bar in LA. - Mind Blown. on 13:33 - Aug 18 by DannyPaddox

Director’s cut
[Post edited 18 Aug 13:34]

Brian McCarthy in the studios of CTN.
Sports Bar in LA. - Mind Blown. on 15:15 - Aug 18 with 2967 viewsBoston

Sports Bar in LA. - Mind Blown. on 13:39 - Aug 18 by MrSheen

Brian McCarthy in the studios of CTN.

Cartoon Network?

Sports Bar in LA. - Mind Blown. on 15:59 - Aug 18 with 2858 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Its been mentioned loads of time on this Forum but that it the future of all sports and the more reason the regular fan who pays their hard earned money down are getting phased out .
Las Vegas is not the best example its across the board but LA having that screen and serving food and drinks is worth its weight in gold so the TV deals take over everything .
Like Boston mentioned that Utd game was at 8pm in England so that is high noon in LA but most Utd and City games are 3pm which would 7am in that bar so not sure the customers would be having steak maybe eggs and coffee .
However once the NFL kicks off you have games in LA at 6am ,930am and the big ones at 130pm so they get massive crowds I expect
Sports Bar in LA. - Mind Blown. on 11:39 - Aug 19 with 2368 viewsCiderwithRsie

Not exactly a "bar" is it? More a cinema with booze.

I don't really see the point. Going to a game is one thing, if you can't go then watching on TV at home or with a few mates in a comfy pub with a pint or two is OK.

Sat in rows in front of a huge screen just feels a bit "plastic" to me. I'd rather watch a local non-league side (or maybe baseball if I was in the states.)
Sports Bar in LA. - Mind Blown. on 11:47 - Aug 19 with 2347 viewsJuzzie

Sports Bar in LA. - Mind Blown. on 11:39 - Aug 19 by CiderwithRsie

I don't really see the point. Going to a game is one thing, if you can't go then watching on TV at home or with a few mates in a comfy pub with a pint or two is OK.

Sat in rows in front of a huge screen just feels a bit "plastic" to me. I'd rather watch a local non-league side (or maybe baseball if I was in the states.)

People are sheep. If they feel they need to follow suite to fit in with their peers, they'll do it.
Sports Bar in LA. - Mind Blown. on 12:43 - Aug 19 with 2151 viewsEastR

Sports Bar in LA. - Mind Blown. on 11:39 - Aug 19 by CiderwithRsie

I think that's the Vegas equivalent of Corals where people go to bet on various sports

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Sports Bar in LA. - Mind Blown. on 13:44 - Aug 19 with 1971 viewsWegerles_Stairs

There was some d*ck on Twitter yesterday complaining someone doing a w*nker gesture at De Bruyne as he was taking a corner and in all seriousness comparing it to the racial abuse of Sterling a few seasons ago. I genuinely feel sorry for anyone whose experience of watching football is wholly based on sitting in their armchair, even these opulent ones.
Sports Bar in LA. - Mind Blown. on 14:04 - Aug 19 with 1889 viewsFDC

I live in the middle east. A good friend of mine is an iraqi guy, dad to my daughter's BFF in school, one of our early talking points was football, but its dwindled out because he would always be super excited about man u v arsenal last night or whatever, such and such player should have scored, now his transfer value will be x million less, I doubt Real Madrid will still buy him etc... and I would glaze over, no idea what you're talking about. Then I would tell him about our game against Birmingham and he would similarly have no idea or interest, and find it funny that I didn't support liverpool or whoever.

But the thing is, he and his mates are obsessed with Premier league football despite never going to actually watch it in person, and despite changing allegiances fairly often as far as I can tell. They’re always inviting me round to watch "the big match" no matter how often i make it clear i have basically no interest in it. Very odd to me to be so invested in tv football when you dont have a connection to the club and everyone on here I'd imagine, but evidence in the flesh that the market for all this stuff is there. Prior to living here I struggled to believe all the marketing of this stuff hits, but it definitely does.
Sports Bar in LA. - Mind Blown. on 14:21 - Aug 19 with 1835 viewsNewYorkRanger

It's pretty crazy how much the game has changed in the last 30+ years. But although the pace of change has increased, is it really any different from my dad telling me about the brown leather ball that used to soak up all the water and take your head off your neck when you tried to head it back in his day?
I mean, today's game is unrecognisable from the one I grew up watching; which is unrecognisable from the one the prior generation watched etc etc.

Same for most sports I believe - all in the name of progress. "Twas ever thus. Get on board or don't, but there's no point in lamenting the old days. Even though it was much better in my day dontcha know

Glory hunter, me

Sports Bar in LA. - Mind Blown. on 14:33 - Aug 19 with 1766 viewsNewYorkRanger

Sports Bar in LA. - Mind Blown. on 14:21 - Aug 19 by NewYorkRanger

It's pretty crazy how much the game has changed in the last 30+ years. But although the pace of change has increased, is it really any different from my dad telling me about the brown leather ball that used to soak up all the water and take your head off your neck when you tried to head it back in his day?
I mean, today's game is unrecognisable from the one I grew up watching; which is unrecognisable from the one the prior generation watched etc etc.

Same for most sports I believe - all in the name of progress. "Twas ever thus. Get on board or don't, but there's no point in lamenting the old days. Even though it was much better in my day dontcha know

that said, this new TV deal is utter pony. I hadn't quite realised how many games would be potentially affected but on current rate, I reckon my attendance will be down by 75% this season due to the kick off time changes. That sucks, and really was better in my day

Glory hunter, me

Sports Bar in LA. - Mind Blown. on 14:34 - Aug 19 with 1763 viewsMatch82

I'm going to be a dissenting opinion here.

I used to have season tickets at QPR, then moved to the US. I physically can't go to the games obviously and I'm extremely grateful I can now watch them at all which wasn't the case when I first moved out here.

Given the choice most days, I'll watch on my own, or occasionally meet up with the small number of other fans in the area at a pub, so totally aligned with the person who said that.

However... There is nothing quite like the feeling of being there, with thousands of other fans, all cheering for the same thing. At the game is best, but if you can't do that, maybe this is the next closest thing. Think about the times they show the England games with the big screens, or Wimbledon on Henman Hill (is it still called that?). Is it as good as being there? Of course not. But in some ways it is the closest you can get if you can't physically be there (price/location/timing whatever)
Sports Bar in LA. - Mind Blown. on 15:14 - Aug 19 with 1633 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Sports Bar in LA. - Mind Blown. on 14:34 - Aug 19 by Match82

I'm going to be a dissenting opinion here.

I used to have season tickets at QPR, then moved to the US. I physically can't go to the games obviously and I'm extremely grateful I can now watch them at all which wasn't the case when I first moved out here.

Given the choice most days, I'll watch on my own, or occasionally meet up with the small number of other fans in the area at a pub, so totally aligned with the person who said that.

However... There is nothing quite like the feeling of being there, with thousands of other fans, all cheering for the same thing. At the game is best, but if you can't do that, maybe this is the next closest thing. Think about the times they show the England games with the big screens, or Wimbledon on Henman Hill (is it still called that?). Is it as good as being there? Of course not. But in some ways it is the closest you can get if you can't physically be there (price/location/timing whatever)

It's obviously great supporters like you who are overseas can still see the games. The problem is that football is now being organised on behalf of those who don't go to matches, rather than those who do...and it's hard to see how that will change.
Sports Bar in LA. - Mind Blown. on 15:28 - Aug 19 with 1590 viewsdmm

Sports Bar in LA. - Mind Blown. on 15:14 - Aug 19 by Wegerles_Stairs

It's obviously great supporters like you who are overseas can still see the games. The problem is that football is now being organised on behalf of those who don't go to matches, rather than those who do...and it's hard to see how that will change.

Indeed you're right.

I'm reminded of two things. First, watching QPR during the covid lockdown season and second, the often repeated idea that football is nothing without the supporters.

As you say, football is increasingly arranged for those who don't attend. Will this lead to empty stadia? Maybe, maybe not. But it will have an effect. 10, 20, 50 years from now, if football is still being played, what might it be like and would we recognise it?
Sports Bar in LA. - Mind Blown. on 16:51 - Aug 19 with 1439 viewsloftupper

Sports Bar in LA. - Mind Blown. on 15:28 - Aug 19 by dmm

Indeed you're right.

I'm reminded of two things. First, watching QPR during the covid lockdown season and second, the often repeated idea that football is nothing without the supporters.

As you say, football is increasingly arranged for those who don't attend. Will this lead to empty stadia? Maybe, maybe not. But it will have an effect. 10, 20, 50 years from now, if football is still being played, what might it be like and would we recognise it?

I can imagine it will depend on the club, we often joke about Man Utds fans not being from Manchester so I can see a time when some of their games are played elsewhere and why a fan actually based in Manchester is more important than a fan based in the Middle East.

But I also think (hope) I will be going to watch the Rangers in 10, 20 and 30 years time.
Sports Bar in LA. - Mind Blown. on 16:59 - Aug 19 with 1406 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Nothing can beat being at the actual ground. The leaving home, train journey, walk to the stadium etc.
No screen can replicate that.

I watched the Sheff Utd game on TV, and while fun, it just doesn't have the X factor.

Role on Saturday at HQ!
Sports Bar in LA. - Mind Blown. on 17:54 - Aug 19 with 1312 viewsPaddyhoops

I very rarely watch us live on telly . Far too stressful. which is the reason I go to more away matches now. Perfectly understand for people who can’t make it and who now live abroad . Nothing like being there and feeling as though you can influence games with your support.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024