Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our starting centre forward this season 07:21 - Aug 14 with 5581 viewsnumptydumpty

Currently I think it's Michi Frey..

I can't make any comments re Celar as its very early days.

Lyndon came on last night and I did not notice him.

Pleased Frey scored and he always runs and chases.

Are we likely to buy a number nine if Eze gets sold..

Centre Forwards and their effectiveness seem to be a dying breed today.

Let's all hang the positive vibes out there and the man will miraculously appear without us trying.

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Our starting centre forward this season on 07:31 - Aug 14 with 3691 viewsmart_Goblin

The air shot on Saturday aside , I think Frey has done ok .

Nothing more but looks our best option at the moment .
Our starting centre forward this season on 07:32 - Aug 14 with 3683 viewsdannyblue

We’d be mad to get another 9 unless one leaves. We can’t have four players vying for one spot.

I’e only seen highlights and the Brighton friendly so far but based on that alone I agree Frey has played himself into pole position.
Our starting centre forward this season on 07:39 - Aug 14 with 3628 viewsstevec

He’s the only CF we’ve got that actually shows any CF attributes.

I’d back him to get into double figures over anyone else.
Our starting centre forward this season on 07:41 - Aug 14 with 3637 viewspriceyparkrangers

Frey so far, Dykes second choice, Celar needs a lot of time on the training pitch in how to play the lone striker role and how to press.
Our starting centre forward this season on 07:52 - Aug 14 with 3586 viewsWokingR

Agree, Frey for me too.
He might not have the engine or stamina to go 90 minutes but he certainly puts the effort in for as long as he can.
Dykes seems to only make the effort 1 in 5 games and Celar seems to just mince around without affecting anything. Anyone else noticed he runs like Charlie did after coming back from his shoulder surgery ?
Our starting centre forward this season on 08:08 - Aug 14 with 3481 viewscpgerber

I think we have to wait and see what the two new wingers bring to the party. I strongly suspect they might be able to bring our striker(s) into play more which might change who we play up front.

I still have hopes for Celar.
Our starting centre forward this season on 08:22 - Aug 14 with 3368 viewsNorthantsHoop

Think Frey should be starting at the moment. He is a trier and a bit of a unit, which we need and clearly much more fitter this season. Celar looks a little lost at the moment, is he fit, possibly a slow burner let's hope so. Dykes needs to be moved on in this transfer window, hopefully for a reasonable fee.
Our starting centre forward this season on 08:30 - Aug 14 with 3295 viewsGaryBannister86

I hope you are right about Celar as of course it is very early days still. But the warning lights are beginning to flash and he does indeed look lost. Only a cameo last night but contributed absolutely nothing sadly, and was also easily bullied off the ball at the end when he could have had a simple tap in when Bennie broke through. I thought he was fouled, to be fair, but didn't take much to knock him over. Even though he needs time to settle in, I worry that the goalscoring type we are told he is wouldn't have let anything get in the way of being in a position to stick an easy one in.

Come on Zan, show us something........please!

On the plus side, looked a good ball striker in the warm ups!
Login to get fewer ads

Our starting centre forward this season on 08:52 - Aug 14 with 3176 viewsMedwayR

I wonder if we might need to adapt our 4-2-3-1 formation into a 4-2-2-2 at times to have more goal threat, it might work…

Poll: Who’s better?

Our starting centre forward this season on 08:57 - Aug 14 with 3153 viewsdm97

Our starting centre forward this season on 08:08 - Aug 14 by cpgerber

I think we have to wait and see what the two new wingers bring to the party. I strongly suspect they might be able to bring our striker(s) into play more which might change who we play up front.

I still have hopes for Celar.

Totally agree. Both KS/KD look like wingers who will get into dangerous wide positions far more regularly than anyone we’ve had out there for a while. Both Celar and Frey are (or so we’ve been told) penalty box strikers who aren’t much effective outside of it, that’s certainly true so far, so let’s wait until Oct/Nov before judging Celar too much.

We’re at threat of scapegoating a guy playing in a new, physical league having just moved across Europe. If people are willing to give Dykes 2/3 years give the new fella a few months at least.
[Post edited 14 Aug 8:57]
Our starting centre forward this season on 09:18 - Aug 14 with 3027 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Our starting centre forward this season on 08:30 - Aug 14 by GaryBannister86

I hope you are right about Celar as of course it is very early days still. But the warning lights are beginning to flash and he does indeed look lost. Only a cameo last night but contributed absolutely nothing sadly, and was also easily bullied off the ball at the end when he could have had a simple tap in when Bennie broke through. I thought he was fouled, to be fair, but didn't take much to knock him over. Even though he needs time to settle in, I worry that the goalscoring type we are told he is wouldn't have let anything get in the way of being in a position to stick an easy one in.

How many chances has he missed? How many chances have been created for him?

He's not even played a full 90 minutes, yet some are already sharpening the knives.

I'd be more worried as to why he is so isolated. That suggests others are not working hard enough in support.
Our starting centre forward this season on 09:46 - Aug 14 with 2896 viewsGaryBannister86

Our starting centre forward this season on 09:18 - Aug 14 by Wilkinswatercarrier

How many chances has he missed? How many chances have been created for him?

He's not even played a full 90 minutes, yet some are already sharpening the knives.

I'd be more worried as to why he is so isolated. That suggests others are not working hard enough in support.

Fair points of course - but he would have had a chance yesterday if he was stronger. I wholeheartedly agree that he needs time and support but the least Marti needs to get into him is that in the meantime he needs to show a little more or the goodwill of a new signing is going to disappear very very quickly. More than one muttering in the away end yesterday.
Our starting centre forward this season on 09:58 - Aug 14 with 2808 viewsstevec

Our starting centre forward this season on 09:46 - Aug 14 by GaryBannister86

Fair points of course - but he would have had a chance yesterday if he was stronger. I wholeheartedly agree that he needs time and support but the least Marti needs to get into him is that in the meantime he needs to show a little more or the goodwill of a new signing is going to disappear very very quickly. More than one muttering in the away end yesterday.

Very true.

At the moment I can’t get Ali Dia out of my head.
Our starting centre forward this season on 10:11 - Aug 14 with 2716 viewsdaveB

Frey has looked alright in the 2 games and at least puts himself about a bit but really all 3 look a bit rubbish
Our starting centre forward this season on 10:11 - Aug 14 with 2708 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Are we seriously writing Celar off after about 100 minutes of football?

The word 'entitled' comes to mind.
Our starting centre forward this season on 10:14 - Aug 14 with 2684 viewsGaryBannister86

Our starting centre forward this season on 10:11 - Aug 14 by CroydonCaptJack

Eh? I don't think anyone is writing him off. But you can critique what you see so far, no? If you had worried about the performances of Bonne or McEwan after a couple of games, would that make you entitled?

I am absolutely desperate to see him do well. Desperate. But you can still be concerned.
Our starting centre forward this season on 10:18 - Aug 14 with 2636 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Fair enough but we know how these things can become self-fulfilling. Everyone gets on his back and that will hardly help his confidence.

Armstrong was given plenty of latitude so hopefully we can do the same with this lad.
Our starting centre forward this season on 10:20 - Aug 14 with 2628 viewsdaveB

Our starting centre forward this season on 10:11 - Aug 14 by CroydonCaptJack

i wouldn't say write him off but first impressions matter and he hasn't made a good one
Our starting centre forward this season on 10:35 - Aug 14 with 2538 viewsGaryBannister86

Our starting centre forward this season on 10:18 - Aug 14 by CroydonCaptJack

Fair enough but we know how these things can become self-fulfilling. Everyone gets on his back and that will hardly help his confidence.

Armstrong was given plenty of latitude so hopefully we can do the same with this lad.

Yes and that is exactly what I am worried about. He needs time but in the real world he won't get that, and the more he contributes the square root of zero in a game, the less time he will get. I don't expect him to be sharp or a goalscoring machine after 100 minutes. I do expect him to run about, put a foot in, commit a foul. Get that going, surely not that tricky.
Our starting centre forward this season on 10:57 - Aug 14 with 2426 viewsNed_Kennedys

Our starting centre forward this season on 08:30 - Aug 14 by GaryBannister86

That was a good break by Bennie down the right wing but his cross into the box was very poor and behind everyone. How you can blame Celar for that is beyond me: he was where a decent cross should have gone in.
Our starting centre forward this season on 10:59 - Aug 14 with 2415 viewsSuperhoop83

Our starting centre forward this season on 10:35 - Aug 14 by GaryBannister86

Yes and that is exactly what I am worried about. He needs time but in the real world he won't get that, and the more he contributes the square root of zero in a game, the less time he will get. I don't expect him to be sharp or a goalscoring machine after 100 minutes. I do expect him to run about, put a foot in, commit a foul. Get that going, surely not that tricky.

I agree that Celar hasn't looked good, but it is WAY too early to assess him and I suspect he will come good.

We were dreadful by the time he came on last night and the service to him on Saturday was non-existent. Our goal also came from him dropping into space and feeding the ball quickly out to the wing, so let's be patient and see what the new additions on the wings bring to the party.

Frey has done ok, but if he is our best striker this season I think we're in a spot of bother.

Suffering since 1978.

Our starting centre forward this season on 11:01 - Aug 14 with 2391 viewsGaryBannister86

Our starting centre forward this season on 10:57 - Aug 14 by Ned_Kennedys

That was a good break by Bennie down the right wing but his cross into the box was very poor and behind everyone. How you can blame Celar for that is beyond me: he was where a decent cross should have gone in.

Because he wasn't in the box - he was brought down by a defender before he could get there. I didn't blame him for that, I said "to be fair I thought he was fouled", but I do think he could have been stronger in a situation which could have potentially led to a tap in.
Our starting centre forward this season on 11:03 - Aug 14 with 2357 viewsGaryBannister86

Our starting centre forward this season on 10:59 - Aug 14 by Superhoop83

I agree that Celar hasn't looked good, but it is WAY too early to assess him and I suspect he will come good.

We were dreadful by the time he came on last night and the service to him on Saturday was non-existent. Our goal also came from him dropping into space and feeding the ball quickly out to the wing, so let's be patient and see what the new additions on the wings bring to the party.

Frey has done ok, but if he is our best striker this season I think we're in a spot of bother.

I would be more than happy to credit Zan with an assist of some sort, but unless I was in a trance last night we didn't score when he was on the pitch? :-)
Our starting centre forward this season on 11:06 - Aug 14 with 2322 viewsSuperhoop83

Our starting centre forward this season on 11:03 - Aug 14 by GaryBannister86

I would be more than happy to credit Zan with an assist of some sort, but unless I was in a trance last night we didn't score when he was on the pitch? :-)

I was referring to Saturday.

I should add that he was often trying to make runs off the shoulder of a defender but the pass(es) never came. I'm not convinced he has much pace but if those runs are timed well it isn't a big problem.

Suffering since 1978.

Our starting centre forward this season on 11:08 - Aug 14 with 2311 viewsGaryBannister86

Our starting centre forward this season on 11:06 - Aug 14 by Superhoop83

I was referring to Saturday.

I should add that he was often trying to make runs off the shoulder of a defender but the pass(es) never came. I'm not convinced he has much pace but if those runs are timed well it isn't a big problem.

Oops, of course, apologies!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024