Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best Pub Name 19:06 - Oct 19 with 6672 viewscolinallcars

Only one day of the international break left then it's back to agonising and wringing our hands.
Best for me, given the Jolly Milkman in Mortlake is no longer a pub - it has to be the Mad Bishop & Bear in Paddington.
Any others ?
Best Pub Name on 15:18 - Oct 20 with 1033 viewsQPunkR

There's a gaff in Geneva called Pub Lord Jim that my acquaintance of the same name always has to stop into when he comes over

QPR - "shit but local"

Best Pub Name on 15:34 - Oct 20 with 1011 viewsterryb

Another name to put forward is the Slubbers Arms in Hudddersfield. The best pub I've been to following Rangers.

Unfortunately, it was sold last year & is now permanmently closed. So no help to those of you that are making the trip tomorrow !
Best Pub Name on 15:47 - Oct 20 with 996 viewsdsw2509

How about The Leg of Mutton &Cauliflower (in Epsom somewhere).
Best Pub Name on 16:30 - Oct 20 with 938 viewsNewBee

Best Pub Name on 10:12 - Oct 20 by colinallcars

Speaking of Fuller's, they really do have some fine pubs. Can't say I've ever been in one that was less than excellent. The Crown & Sceptre is of course oft mentioned on here.
Always good beer and scran, attractive and usually well run.
Er, no, I don't work for Fuller's.

All very true, except that since Fullers sold off the brewing side of things (to Asahi) and concentrated on being a pub management chain, their accountants seem to have been taking an ever closer look at their property portfolio, or more specifically the ROI it beings in.

As a result there have already been a couple of their (otherwise profitable) pubs which have been closed and converted into (even more profitable) flats etc, with the fear being that there are more to come.

Meanwhile back on topic, I used to know a pub in Middlebrough called The Pig & Whistle, universally known to patrons as "The Piss & Wiggle".

I've since realised that it's a common enough name for an English pub, with googling suggesting this to explain the name (I daresay there may be other theories):
https://www.hidebound.co.uk/blog/post/drinking-vessel-names-piggin-whistle-or-th
Best Pub Name on 16:39 - Oct 20 with 923 viewsNewBee

Best Pub Name on 14:27 - Oct 20 by BazzaInTheLoft

Slightly off topic, but there are loads of Underground and National Rail stations named after pubs. Bat and Ball in Kent a personal favourite.

The London district of Swiss Cottage is named after an inn called The Swiss Tavern that was built in 1804 in the style of a Swiss chalet and on the site of a former tollgate keeper's cottage. The inn was later renamed Swiss Cottage. The area is served by Swiss Cottage Station.

Anyhow, there are loads more such examples, as you say plus, of course, numerous pubs called The Station.

Meanwhile, there is a pub out Rickmansworth way called "The Gate". I went in one day and was disappointed to find it didn't have five bars...

Also there is - or used to be - a pub out on the way to Heathrow called "The Office". I imagine there was many a phone call made from there of an evening to explain why said caller still hadn't arrived home after work.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2023 16:41]
Best Pub Name on 16:53 - Oct 20 with 921 viewsrocknroland

The Sunburned Arms. Lindos, Rhodes.
Best Pub Name on 17:23 - Oct 20 with 899 viewsguitarzan

Four pubs in Camden called Dublin castle. Pembroke castle, Windsor castle and Edinburg castle, so called to keep the English, Scots, Welsh and Irish navvies in separate pubs and thus avoid fighting
Best Pub Name on 18:22 - Oct 20 with 862 viewsNewBee

Best Pub Name on 17:23 - Oct 20 by guitarzan

Four pubs in Camden called Dublin castle. Pembroke castle, Windsor castle and Edinburg castle, so called to keep the English, Scots, Welsh and Irish navvies in separate pubs and thus avoid fighting

Wouldn't have fancied starting a Darts League in that vicinity...
Login to get fewer ads

Best Pub Name on 18:27 - Oct 20 with 861 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I know all these pubs intimately but never knew this.

Every day an education on this site.
Best Pub Name on 18:43 - Oct 20 with 853 viewsNorthLondonR

A favourite of mine is "Sacks of Potatoes" just off the Aston University Campus in Birmingham. Sh1t pub really but even better pronounced in a broad brummie accent.
Best Pub Name on 19:17 - Oct 20 with 835 viewsNoDiddley

The Constitution in Bell Street, Marylebone, spent most of my life there in the 80s
Best Pub Name on 19:18 - Oct 20 with 834 viewsNorthernr

Best Pub Name on 15:34 - Oct 20 by terryb

Another name to put forward is the Slubbers Arms in Hudddersfield. The best pub I've been to following Rangers.

Unfortunately, it was sold last year & is now permanmently closed. So no help to those of you that are making the trip tomorrow !

Great pub, sadly missed.
Best Pub Name on 19:20 - Oct 20 with 828 viewsNorthernr

There's one near my mum's called The Dog And Rat.
All the village recycling bins and bottle banks are in the car park.
One morning Young North is munching away on his cornflakes idly flicking through the village newsletter.
"Mum... why do we need a dog and rat recycling facility?"
Best Pub Name on 19:21 - Oct 20 with 823 viewsaston_hoop

Best Pub Name on 18:43 - Oct 20 by NorthLondonR

A favourite of mine is "Sacks of Potatoes" just off the Aston University Campus in Birmingham. Sh1t pub really but even better pronounced in a broad brummie accent.

I remember it well. I watched us lose 4 or 5 to nil v Southend in there one Friday evening. Local bloke wanders over in the strongest brummie accent telling me "I bet you feel like a right tw*t now"....yeah thanks mate.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Best Pub Name on 20:32 - Oct 20 with 785 viewsMick_S

Best Pub Name on 16:39 - Oct 20 by NewBee

The London district of Swiss Cottage is named after an inn called The Swiss Tavern that was built in 1804 in the style of a Swiss chalet and on the site of a former tollgate keeper's cottage. The inn was later renamed Swiss Cottage. The area is served by Swiss Cottage Station.

Anyhow, there are loads more such examples, as you say plus, of course, numerous pubs called The Station.

Meanwhile, there is a pub out Rickmansworth way called "The Gate". I went in one day and was disappointed to find it didn't have five bars...

Also there is - or used to be - a pub out on the way to Heathrow called "The Office". I imagine there was many a phone call made from there of an evening to explain why said caller still hadn't arrived home after work.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2023 16:41]

One in Northolt, too. One of the few pubs left in nutty town.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Best Pub Name on 21:28 - Oct 20 with 750 viewsPeterHucker

It was a pub crawl around Camden including those exact pubs sometime in the 90s that inspired my mate’s theory ably pubs with castle in the name (mentioned earlier on this thread)
Best Pub Name on 22:17 - Oct 20 with 711 viewsR_from_afar

I just remembered this one from when I used to live in Warwickshire. It's named after a geological formation:

https://www.thebluelias.co.uk/

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Best Pub Name on 23:15 - Oct 20 with 679 viewsOldPedro

A few pubs in Halifax with good names:

Meandering Bear
Grayston Unity
Kobenhavn (named because in Copenhagen there is a bar called Halifax apparently)

and then the pub where the Halifax Building Society was formed.......
.......The Old Cock!

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Best Pub Name on 23:42 - Oct 20 with 669 viewsNewBee

Best Pub Name on 19:20 - Oct 20 by Northernr

There's one near my mum's called The Dog And Rat.
All the village recycling bins and bottle banks are in the car park.
One morning Young North is munching away on his cornflakes idly flicking through the village newsletter.
"Mum... why do we need a dog and rat recycling facility?"

I was putting some stuff into a recycling bin when a huge rat jumped out and ran away.

"Why would anyone want to throw out a perfectly good rat like that?", I thought to myself...
Best Pub Name on 04:14 - Oct 21 with 644 viewsWA_Hoop

Best Pub Name on 01:49 - Oct 20 by SydneyRs

There was another pub with the same name not too far away in Old Redding. Had a big beer garden so was a go to place on summer evenings. Always seemed like a lovely idea until the wasps arrived.

Across the road from the Wealdstone one was the infamous Queens Arms where it was not uncommon to see several police cars outside. They did have some good comedy nights in the 90s though.

I spent some time living in Harrow and then Pinner, so the Old Redding 'The Case is Altered' used to be my go to pub on balmy summer evenings in the late 80's.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024