Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best Pub Name 19:06 - Oct 19 with 6673 viewscolinallcars

Only one day of the international break left then it's back to agonising and wringing our hands.
Best for me, given the Jolly Milkman in Mortlake is no longer a pub - it has to be the Mad Bishop & Bear in Paddington.
Any others ?
Best Pub Name on 02:29 - Oct 20 with 1414 viewsBoston

Best Pub Name on 01:49 - Oct 20 by SydneyRs

There was another pub with the same name not too far away in Old Redding. Had a big beer garden so was a go to place on summer evenings. Always seemed like a lovely idea until the wasps arrived.

Across the road from the Wealdstone one was the infamous Queens Arms where it was not uncommon to see several police cars outside. They did have some good comedy nights in the 90s though.

...and of course, the McCanns.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Best Pub Name on 04:37 - Oct 20 with 1377 viewsSydneyRs

Best Pub Name on 02:29 - Oct 20 by Boston

...and of course, the McCanns.

Indeed!
Best Pub Name on 05:35 - Oct 20 with 1369 viewscyprusmel

Another infamous one was in Mile End Road, The Blind Beggar.
Best Pub Name on 06:38 - Oct 20 with 1354 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

The Fighting Cocks in Kingston. Always made me giggle as a kid, and now mine do the same when we go past.
Apparently Clapton and the Stones have gigged there when Eel Pie Island was a venue back in the 60s.
Best Pub Name on 06:50 - Oct 20 with 1344 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I always thought 'The Intrepid Fox' was a good name not just because of the 3 metal venues.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Best Pub Name on 06:59 - Oct 20 with 1343 viewsHantsR

I was in the Ship and Shovel yesterday, a pub of two halves in Charing Cross.
Best Pub Name on 07:10 - Oct 20 with 1337 viewsdmm

Best Pub Name on 02:03 - Oct 20 by NewBee

There's a pub of that name under one of the arches at Waterloo Station:
https://southbank.london/eat-and-drink/hole-in-the-wall

And it was alsop the name of the pub (bar, actually) on the Westbound platform of the District Line tube at Sloane Square. Yes, you read that right, it was actually down in the Tube station itself.

I believe there were once a number of such licenced drinking holes ("pubs" is probably a bit much), all of whom have since closed.

One I remember very well was quaintly named "The Doctor's Dilemma", situated within the arcade in Hammersmith Tube Station (H&C Line side).

I remember going in one afternoon and couldn't believe what I was seeing. There were maybe half a dozen drinkers in, all of them half-pissed and all (I think) Irish. Though a small-enough place, iirc it had maybe half a dozen taps, five of them Guinness and one lager - they clearly knew their clientele!

Though partial to a drop of the dark stuff myself on occasion, and though the pint I had was perfectly well poured, there was nothing about the place which induced me to have another. Or ever go back in a second time.

Anyhow, it closed a while later, to make way for a Tapas Bar.

The Hole in the Wall in Waterloo used to serve a light and bitter, the beer of choice in my youth. Not that I'd order a light and bitter much these days, but it was a nice bit of nostalgia to have one now and again. Sadly, it no longer does and I don't know anywhere else that does either.
Best Pub Name on 07:53 - Oct 20 with 1313 viewsBexleyHoop

Who'd 'a' Thought It in Plumstead Common SE18 always struck me as an odd name for a boozer.

A couple of others I recall from my younger days were the Laughing Gravy and Boot and Flogger, both in Southwark. No doubt they are probably long gone.

Fanny on the Hill Welling / East Wickham now flats always used to make me chuckle as does the Fighting Cocks pub in Horton Kirby in Kent which is worth a visit in the summer as it has a great garden and has stacks of awards
Login to get fewer ads

Best Pub Name on 09:08 - Oct 20 with 1274 viewsMrSheen

Best Pub Name on 02:03 - Oct 20 by NewBee

There's a pub of that name under one of the arches at Waterloo Station:
https://southbank.london/eat-and-drink/hole-in-the-wall

And it was alsop the name of the pub (bar, actually) on the Westbound platform of the District Line tube at Sloane Square. Yes, you read that right, it was actually down in the Tube station itself.

I believe there were once a number of such licenced drinking holes ("pubs" is probably a bit much), all of whom have since closed.

One I remember very well was quaintly named "The Doctor's Dilemma", situated within the arcade in Hammersmith Tube Station (H&C Line side).

I remember going in one afternoon and couldn't believe what I was seeing. There were maybe half a dozen drinkers in, all of them half-pissed and all (I think) Irish. Though a small-enough place, iirc it had maybe half a dozen taps, five of them Guinness and one lager - they clearly knew their clientele!

Though partial to a drop of the dark stuff myself on occasion, and though the pint I had was perfectly well poured, there was nothing about the place which induced me to have another. Or ever go back in a second time.

Anyhow, it closed a while later, to make way for a Tapas Bar.

Baker Street Station had a pub between the two sets of Metropolitan line tracks, used to stop off there from time to time (travel is so draining).

Dirty Dick's has been mentioned, always rammed after work with people going home through Liverpool Street. Just up the road is "Woodin's Shades". Is that a reference to Wotan/Odin? The old religion clinging on in Essex?
Best Pub Name on 09:30 - Oct 20 with 1248 viewsAirtomoreira

Presumably at The Fawcett Inn they sell this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=dickens+cider&rlz=1C1CHBD_en-GBGB878GB878&am
[Post edited 20 Oct 2023 9:31]
Best Pub Name on 10:03 - Oct 20 with 1211 viewsPeterHucker

Whenever I'm over that side of the city, I enjoy a pint of London Pride in The Hung Drawn & Quartered near the Tower of London. Lovely pub, named after a gruesome process that took place many times right outside its doors!

I have some family history round there too, in the 50s and 60s my grandad worked at the Royal mint just up the road.
Best Pub Name on 10:09 - Oct 20 with 1205 viewsPeterHucker

My mate has a long-running theory that pubs with the word "castle" in them are always good.
We've been putting this theory to the test for about 20 years now & with a handful of exceptions it seems to be true.
Whenever I meet him we always try to find a pub with castle in the name & most of the time this works very well and we end up in a lovely pub, e.g. the recent pre-season friendly v AFC Wimbledon which took us to The Castle near Wandsworth tube station.
Best Pub Name on 10:12 - Oct 20 with 1201 viewscolinallcars

Best Pub Name on 10:03 - Oct 20 by PeterHucker

Whenever I'm over that side of the city, I enjoy a pint of London Pride in The Hung Drawn & Quartered near the Tower of London. Lovely pub, named after a gruesome process that took place many times right outside its doors!

I have some family history round there too, in the 50s and 60s my grandad worked at the Royal mint just up the road.

Speaking of Fuller's, they really do have some fine pubs. Can't say I've ever been in one that was less than excellent. The Crown & Sceptre is of course oft mentioned on here.
Always good beer and scran, attractive and usually well run.
Er, no, I don't work for Fuller's.
Best Pub Name on 10:22 - Oct 20 with 1195 viewsCateLeBonR

The Land of Liberty, Peace and Plenty in Chorleywood. Great name, great pub and still going I think.
Best Pub Name on 10:40 - Oct 20 with 1154 viewsterryb

Best Pub Name on 01:13 - Oct 20 by PunteR

The Hole in the Wall pub in Richmond. No longer there.

And in Colchester. Both in name & closure.
Best Pub Name on 11:30 - Oct 20 with 1116 viewsloftus77

The Engine & Tender in Ampthill I always liked the name of.
Best Pub Name on 11:45 - Oct 20 with 1086 viewsdmm

Slightly off topic but the origin of the pub sign is fascinating.

In the early medieval period ale was brewed domestically by women for their own families. The ale wouldn't keep very long as hops, which help preserve as well as flavour ale, were not introduced until the end of the medieval period. So, if they had brewed more ale than they could use, they would put something out of a house window, a tree branch or a stick with cloth tied on, to let the surrounding families know they had surplus ale to sell. And over the centuries that developed to become the pub sign.

Well, I think it's fascinating.
Best Pub Name on 12:26 - Oct 20 with 1041 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Best Pub Name on 11:45 - Oct 20 by dmm

Slightly off topic but the origin of the pub sign is fascinating.

In the early medieval period ale was brewed domestically by women for their own families. The ale wouldn't keep very long as hops, which help preserve as well as flavour ale, were not introduced until the end of the medieval period. So, if they had brewed more ale than they could use, they would put something out of a house window, a tree branch or a stick with cloth tied on, to let the surrounding families know they had surplus ale to sell. And over the centuries that developed to become the pub sign.

Well, I think it's fascinating.

Well there you go, I've learnt something today. What an enlightening forum we have!
Best Pub Name on 13:05 - Oct 20 with 1009 viewshantssi

Best Pub Name on 22:18 - Oct 19 by johann28

Just a few - explanations on request!

Laughing Gravy (Southwark)
George & Vulture (City)
Boot & Flogger (Southwark)
Dogget's (Blackfriars)
Fat Walrus (New Cross)

Laughing Gravy was the name of Laurel & Hardys dog!
I’ve always loved that name!
Best Pub Name on 13:07 - Oct 20 with 1003 viewshantssi

Best Pub Name on 01:13 - Oct 20 by PunteR

The Hole in the Wall pub in Richmond. No longer there.

There’s a brilliant little pub in Old Portsmouth called The Hole in the Wall, real cask ales up on shelves behind the bar and traditional pub games.
Best Pub Name on 13:47 - Oct 20 with 942 viewsPeterHucker

Best Pub Name on 13:05 - Oct 20 by hantssi

Laughing Gravy was the name of Laurel & Hardys dog!
I’ve always loved that name!

Laughing Gravy is also the name of a lovely beer made by the Ulverston Brewery in Cumbria.
(Stan Laurel was born in Ulverston)
Best Pub Name on 13:51 - Oct 20 with 924 viewsPeterHucker

one of my favourite pubs is the Rutland Arms in Sheffield, a handy stopoff when walking from train station to Bramall Lane or when going to gigs at The Leadmill.
Has the widest selection of crisps I've seen in any pub.
Best Pub Name on 14:27 - Oct 20 with 874 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Slightly off topic, but there are loads of Underground and National Rail stations named after pubs. Bat and Ball in Kent a personal favourite.
Best Pub Name on 14:30 - Oct 20 with 864 viewsMick_S

The Load of Hay in Uxbridge is now called The Loft. I kid you not. Full of miserable b’stards.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Best Pub Name on 14:42 - Oct 20 with 837 viewsMrSheen

The Two Chairmen in Westminster - Mao and Jim Gregory.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024