Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Guitar playing thread 13:58 - Jan 19 with 30479 viewsBluce_Ree

*Now includes bassists*

I know there's a few of us on here. Would be interesting to know what you're up to (as opposed to this just being a lot of youtube vids of good guitarists).

What guitars do you have? What style do you play? How do you practice?
[Post edited 19 Jan 2023 14:30]

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

Guitar playing thread on 12:05 - Jun 9 with 2514 viewsBluce_Ree

Guitar playing thread on 10:38 - May 23 by guitarzan

For jazz, learn your arpeggios is cycle of fourths eg Em7 followed by Am7 Dm7 G7 Cmajor7 Fmajor 7 then B m7 flat 5. I wouldn’t worry about enclosures yet. Hard enough learning the arpeggios

You were right. Enclosures were too much at this stage.

I'm currently trying to get a 2 5 1 of Dm G7 Cmaj7 down as arpeggios.

It's taking a while to embed into my brain to where I can play around in those patterns without just running them up and down, but it's getting better I think.

I've got a version of Autumn Leaves to learn as well now.

That said, I learned the chords and melody of Summertime and now my natural inclination is to try to do both at the same time which I think is pretty jazzy.

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

Guitar playing thread on 22:28 - Jun 12 with 2448 viewsted_hendrix

Travis picking Is fun.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Guitar playing thread on 23:14 - Jun 12 with 2415 viewsBluce_Ree

Guitar playing thread on 22:28 - Jun 12 by ted_hendrix

Travis picking Is fun.

I've not got great thumb independence so I do struggle with that technique a bit. I can do it but as soon as anything changes my timing goes to piddle.

Guitar playing thread on 10:26 - Jun 13 with 2353 viewsguitarzan

Wherever possible try to relate arpeggios to actual chord shapes. Most arpeggios are based on open C,A,G,E and D shapes conveniently placed in that order to spell the word. CAGED
Guitar playing thread on 15:17 - Jun 13 with 2321 viewsBluce_Ree

will do.

I'm starting to get the arpeggios into my brain a bit. It's all starting to piece together. That and chord substitutions. I'm not very natural with it all but I can at least play with it a bit to see how these things work.

Guitar playing thread on 22:35 - Jun 13 with 2259 viewscolinallcars

I've never had a lesson in my life - I'm more a fifth rate jazz pianist anyway.
One little band I played guitar in was entered in the Whitbread Search For A Star contest. It was held in the Pavilion - much beloved of XTC of this forum.
The bird who compered - a frowsy blonde the worse for drink who pronounced it WhiteBread said “ Colin, why don't you introduce the guys in the group ? “
I said “ no need luv, they already know each other “
Guitar playing thread on 09:25 - Jun 23 with 2156 viewsBluce_Ree

I think sometimes it's good to learn things that aren't anything you'd normally play or even listen to normally.

I don't listen to Van Halen but this riff is sensational in terms of how it's put together. So inventive. Fun to play.

Took me ages to get that intro down and even now I can still mess it up most of the time. Tapping isn't hard at all but the pattern of it is different to what I'd normally do.

And this is just amazing. I've not even attempted this but I did get into slide playing a couple of years back. I bought a lovely glass slide that made it so much nicer than using the shitty metal ones we all had in the 90s.

Guitar playing thread on 13:18 - Jun 23 with 2100 viewsjohncharles

Just put a set of D’Addario .011 - .052 Bronze (Full, Bright Tone it says) on my Yamaha DW7. Bright??
It sounds like a Glockenspiel !

Strong and stable my arse.

Login to get fewer ads

Guitar playing thread on 13:57 - Jun 23 with 2078 viewsR_from_afar

Guitar playing thread on 22:28 - Jun 12 by ted_hendrix

Travis picking Is fun.

I had no idea what that was - duh - so I looked it up. Now I know. I have learned something, thank you, Ted. Time for a lie down after exercising my grey matter

Here's an explanatory video, for anyone else who is new to that technique. I've only just started to get the hang of hybrid picking, sigh...

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Guitar playing thread on 23:58 - Jun 24 with 1988 viewsstowmarketrange

What an amazing set from guns n roses tonight at Glastonbury.Axl wasn’t up to much but the rest of the band were spot on.
Guitar playing thread on 10:03 - Jun 26 with 1912 viewsBluce_Ree

I wasn't too impressed by Slash. His lead playing used to be so smooth but I thought he was super rough on this one. My wife, who doesn't really understand music, even asked me if this was bad because she could feel it was. That was during his solo bit.

Guitar playing thread on 14:23 - Jun 26 with 1859 viewsSonofpugwash

Slash is definitely struggling these days.
Our Reg's regular guitarist - Scotsman Davey Johnstone - made quite a few guitar changes during the Glasto finale and made them all sound more or less the same(apart from the acoustic ones of course).Some lovely axes here.
https://equipboard.com/pros/davey-johnstone

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Guitar playing thread on 15:15 - Jun 26 with 1836 viewsted_hendrix

Telecaster heaven.

Mind your language.

Guitar playing thread on 16:20 - Jul 7 with 1716 viewsSK_hoops

Guitar playing thread on 14:23 - Jun 26 by Sonofpugwash

Slash is definitely struggling these days.
Our Reg's regular guitarist - Scotsman Davey Johnstone - made quite a few guitar changes during the Glasto finale and made them all sound more or less the same(apart from the acoustic ones of course).Some lovely axes here.
https://equipboard.com/pros/davey-johnstone

Slash is over rated. Always gets near the top of those best guitarist lists, but pretty much never gets out of pentatonic scales.
Guitar playing thread on 09:22 - Jul 27 with 1596 viewsBluce_Ree

Still plodding away at this jazz stuff.

The guy said learn a Gminor 7 chord with like a load of drop versions (basically inversions). There were 12. It was bullshit trying to commit that all to memory.

And then the next lesson was learn C7 and Fmaj7 in the same way. So now I've got to remember fking 36 of these fking things.

Jazz is so hard.

I think it's good in that it's really teaching me a lot about the instrument but it feels almost unthinkable that I'll ever be good at this. Very humbling after being a shredding machine for 30 years. But that shows how easy rock/metal really is I guess.

Guitar playing thread on 09:38 - Jul 27 with 1579 viewsRs_Holy

currently tackling this classic from the late 70's

Great tune for my level of playing as it has some 5th power chords, some finger picking and a nice little solo near the end ... :)
Guitar playing thread on 10:18 - Jul 27 with 1540 viewsR_from_afar

Guitar playing thread on 09:38 - Jul 27 by Rs_Holy

currently tackling this classic from the late 70's

Great tune for my level of playing as it has some 5th power chords, some finger picking and a nice little solo near the end ... :)

That's really interesting, thanks for posting! A belter of a tune written by Argent's Russ Ballard, who also gave us the marvellous "Hold your head up" and "God gave rock and roll to you".

I can play the chords from the version of "Since you've been gone" which appears in Wise Publication's "The big guitar chord songbook: Classic rock" but I shall be watching that video you posted many times because it includes so much more.

I am currently trying to teach myself "Head over heels" by Tears for Fears and am struggling with the nasty A add 9 chord grrr.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Guitar playing thread on 10:26 - Jul 27 with 1532 viewsted_hendrix

Bit of crap going on for me, a wee while ago I had a stroke or what Is known as a mini stroke, this was discovered after a brain scan at JR hospital Oxford, by all accounts I'm now In danger of a life threatening major stroke, as a consequence I've pretty much lost the ability to play, my pinky finger on my fretting hand has a mind of it's own and just does not do what I'm basically asking It to do, I just can't remember song chord Sequence's either.
I'm encouraged thankfully by Mrs Ted who's pushing me to keep trying to play as hopefully I will return to normal (I'll freely admit I was never great but I could play).
Anyway enough of this bullshit, tomorrow morning I'm having my operation very early In the morning so fingers crossed.

Next (If you don't like lectures look away now).

The cause of these mini strokes Is down to smoking, no ifs or buts about It, I stopped bloody smoking over five Months ago but too late as the damage to my carotid artery's was alredy done. That's the scene, that's how It Is, so If you are a smoker STOP now.

Apologies for invading your thread Bluce and the crap lecture but you'll understand I hope.

A massive big up to the doctors and nurses In our National Health, I'm the last person on this planet to patronize people but we'd all be seriously lost without these fabulous people In the NHS.

I'm shortly gonna power up the Orange Micro Terror amp plug In the SG and get on the B string 10th fret and pretend I'm BB King.

Stay cool.

Hey Joe.

Guitar playing thread on 10:40 - Jul 27 with 1515 viewsguitarzan

Have a look at the Ted Greene book,,, Chord Chemistry. That’ll keep you busy for a couple of decades. I would only learn four inversions for each chord for starters. One with each of the chord tones as the top note.
Guitar playing thread on 10:54 - Jul 27 with 1497 viewscolinallcars

Guitar playing thread on 10:26 - Jul 27 by ted_hendrix

Bit of crap going on for me, a wee while ago I had a stroke or what Is known as a mini stroke, this was discovered after a brain scan at JR hospital Oxford, by all accounts I'm now In danger of a life threatening major stroke, as a consequence I've pretty much lost the ability to play, my pinky finger on my fretting hand has a mind of it's own and just does not do what I'm basically asking It to do, I just can't remember song chord Sequence's either.
I'm encouraged thankfully by Mrs Ted who's pushing me to keep trying to play as hopefully I will return to normal (I'll freely admit I was never great but I could play).
Anyway enough of this bullshit, tomorrow morning I'm having my operation very early In the morning so fingers crossed.

The cause of these mini strokes Is down to smoking, no ifs or buts about It, I stopped bloody smoking over five Months ago but too late as the damage to my carotid artery's was alredy done. That's the scene, that's how It Is, so If you are a smoker STOP now.

Apologies for invading your thread Bluce and the crap lecture but you'll understand I hope.

A massive big up to the doctors and nurses In our National Health, I'm the last person on this planet to patronize people but we'd all be seriously lost without these fabulous people In the NHS.

I'm shortly gonna power up the Orange Micro Terror amp plug In the SG and get on the B string 10th fret and pretend I'm BB King.

Stay cool.

Hey Joe.

Blimey Ted, hope things turn out better for you.
Guitar playing thread on 11:20 - Jul 27 with 1488 viewsRs_Holy

Stay cool.

Hey Joe.

bloody hell Ted... Good luck with the op ... as you say the people doing the proper work in the NHS are incredible.

Edit - Sorry about the poor picture quality but I remember watching this doc on tv back in the 90's and found it pretty inspirational back then... Completely different set of circumstances but shows Peter Green and his road back to playing the guitar again.

[Post edited 27 Jul 2023 11:41]
Guitar playing thread on 12:20 - Jul 27 with 1443 viewsBluce_Ree

Ah sorry to hear that Ted but the brain has a way of figuring shit out so hopefully those pathways will reopen up soon! Keep trying, keep playing.

Guitar playing thread on 12:38 - Jul 27 with 1415 viewsR_from_afar

Stay cool.

Hey Joe.

So sorry to hear that, Ted. You're in my thoughts and prayers. Keep trying to play, hopefully, you will start to recover your abilities. Along with exercise and learning a language, playing a musical instrument is the best thing you can do for your brain. Just don't try to do them all at once!

A friend who is a very talented guitarist works as a tree surgeon and - squeamish readers might want to skip this bit - he accidentally cut the first joint of his index finger off with a log guillotine!

That was many years ago and I hadn't seen him for years until just before the pandemic, when I went to a wedding anniversary party for his sister.

He was there...on stage, with his band, playing guitar and providing the musical entertainment.

Hang in there, rooting for you.

Guitar playing thread on 13:45 - Jul 27 with 1357 viewsBluce_Ree

Guitar playing thread on 10:40 - Jul 27 by guitarzan

Have a look at the Ted Greene book,,, Chord Chemistry. That’ll keep you busy for a couple of decades. I would only learn four inversions for each chord for starters. One with each of the chord tones as the top note.

I was learning four inversions per string grouping. So a set on the lower 4, the middle 4 and the top 4 strings.

I fked that clean off though and just learned the ones that were comfortable to play.

When I stop being dumb as shit, I'll check out that book.

Guitar playing thread on 14:11 - Jul 27 with 1331 viewsericgen34

Stay cool.

Hey Joe.

Blimey that sounds very scary and upsetting! All the best to you!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024