Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Beer help ! 21:41 - May 31 with 25013 viewsactonman

I have noted quite a few posters on here have a good taste for some proper real ale and beer. Now my normal tipple would be the usual fosters / Stella commercial stuff (mainly down to getting it cheap) but am getting a bit bored of the same old same old.
Went in to Asda today to have a look at what they do and I must say I dont know where to start ?

Hobgoblins , speckled hens , ipa .... Don't know where to start.

Any experts with some recommendations please ( no light ale p!sswater though )

Beer help ! on 22:13 - Jun 1 with 4282 viewsMKQPR

Beer help ! on 21:54 - May 31 by MrSheen

It ferments in the bottle, and you don't want to drink the sediment. Store it upright in the fridge, let it get very cold before you try it, and pour slowly and carefully into a round bottomed glass (a big wine glass will do), making sure you leave the last 10% in the bottle. Do it in a bright place so you can see how you're progressing and when it starts to look cloudy in the neck of the bottle. Personally, i don't like as much as head as in the picture. Don't turn the bottle up half way through. If you do, stop, put the bottle back in the fridge for the sediment to settle back down while you drink what's in the glass. 8.5% alcohol, so you won't want to go too quickly, but it doesn't taste anything like muck like Special Brew. Sounds like a lot of palaver, but you'll agree it's worth it.

This you need to try is definitely worth the hassle to pour. Also try Old Hooky nice Ale suggested to me by my Grandad.
Beer help ! on 08:27 - Jun 2 with 4204 viewsPommyhoop

Beer help ! on 21:54 - May 31 by MrSheen

It ferments in the bottle, and you don't want to drink the sediment. Store it upright in the fridge, let it get very cold before you try it, and pour slowly and carefully into a round bottomed glass (a big wine glass will do), making sure you leave the last 10% in the bottle. Do it in a bright place so you can see how you're progressing and when it starts to look cloudy in the neck of the bottle. Personally, i don't like as much as head as in the picture. Don't turn the bottle up half way through. If you do, stop, put the bottle back in the fridge for the sediment to settle back down while you drink what's in the glass. 8.5% alcohol, so you won't want to go too quickly, but it doesn't taste anything like muck like Special Brew. Sounds like a lot of palaver, but you'll agree it's worth it.

8.5% ????
Gods Holy Trousers!!!!
I thought I was brave with my latest tipple measuring in at 6.3%

But 8.5 % ? Jaysus ,I'd be stocious,...

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Beer help ! on 09:01 - Jun 2 with 4179 viewsDiscodroids

Beer help ! on 19:09 - Jun 1 by paulparker

If your going on the Ale Disco start off on the light stuff first I would recommend

Dizzy Blonde
Deuchars IPA ( great lunch time drink for a session)
Summer lightning ( fcuking nector )
Inferno ( from the Oakham brewery
Also Chiswick bitter from Fullers ( kin beautiful

All of these I would recommend problem is your guts in the morning are lethal , the missus does her nut

Also if you get the chance get on the Grimbergen blonde it's the best of the Belgium beers it's not to strong and doesn't give you a pounding head the next day , it's as smooth as Richard gere in American Gigolo

will give em a go mate, the mrs is trying to educate this east end working mans palate with wine, but i hate the stuff.

i dont mind newcastle brown.

I like talking to the CAMRA bods but i get fuked off when they start talking like a nuclear scientist about beer.

had a pint of this last week at a little italian next to chingford station...very very nice.

jo bought back some bleedin tuborg from icelands sunday... i had a bottle that must have been used to kill hitlers german shepherd, 'blondi' in his bunker ..awful

Staropramen is pretty good .
[Post edited 2 Jun 2015 9:02]

'From Little Acorns, Harold..'

Beer help ! on 09:22 - Jun 2 with 4168 viewsKonk

Beer help ! on 09:01 - Jun 2 by Discodroids

will give em a go mate, the mrs is trying to educate this east end working mans palate with wine, but i hate the stuff.

I like talking to the CAMRA bods but i get fuked off when they start talking like a nuclear scientist about beer.

had a pint of this last week at a little italian next to chingford station...very very nice.

jo bought back some bleedin tuborg from icelands sunday... i had a bottle that must have been used to kill hitlers german shepherd, 'blondi' in his bunker ..awful

I’m very partial to a Kozel on a nice sunny day. Very refreshing. Feel the same way about Pilsner Urquell, which my local Polish restaurant knocks out at an outrageous £3.00 a pint. I get flashbacks to the early 90’s at those prices. God bless the Czechs/Poles.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Beer help ! on 09:29 - Jun 2 with 4156 viewsDiscodroids

Beer help ! on 09:22 - Jun 2 by Konk

I’m very partial to a Kozel on a nice sunny day. Very refreshing. Feel the same way about Pilsner Urquell, which my local Polish restaurant knocks out at an outrageous £3.00 a pint. I get flashbacks to the early 90’s at those prices. God bless the Czechs/Poles.

lovely stuff that urqell, but i must object in the strongest possible terms to that other import 'tyskie' id rather drink aspartame thats been left in the sun .

one does have a case of fosters in the shed, for people i dont particularly like , i.e jo's family or the bloke next door who keeps talking to me about his camper van .

Beer help ! on 09:35 - Jun 2 with 4154 viewsKonk

Beer help ! on 09:29 - Jun 2 by Discodroids

lovely stuff that urqell, but i must object in the strongest possible terms to that other import 'tyskie' id rather drink aspartame thats been left in the sun .

one does have a case of fosters in the shed, for people i dont particularly like , i.e jo's family or the bloke next door who keeps talking to me about his camper van .

Tyskie actually tastes of hangover. The only other beer I’ve had where I could feel a hangover coming on with every mouthful was Bofferding, which was the local brew in Luxembourg. That’s what got me onto the wheat beers, because it was either adapt or suffer the worst hangovers imaginable.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Beer help ! on 09:49 - Jun 2 with 4145 viewsMetallica_Hoop

This brewing company do some mighty fine fruity beers. I had most of them.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Beer help ! on 11:56 - Jun 2 with 4122 viewsbob566

augustiner helles. A beer from munich. Absolutely georgeous.

8 euro a bottle in the pub though. Ouch.
Login to get fewer ads

Beer help ! on 12:38 - Jun 2 with 4103 viewsHayesender

Beer help ! on 09:01 - Jun 2 by Discodroids

Staropramen and Budvar are my choices of lager in a wetherspoons.

Why anyone would willingly drink fosters/carling/carlsberg etc is beyond me.

Rancid pig swill

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Beer help ! on 12:46 - Jun 2 with 4094 viewsaston_hoop

Hop Back Summer Lightning was always my go to beer. Especially after I moved round the corner from a Hop Back pub. Love the stuff. Also, everyone who loves beer should make an effort to do a crawl round the pubs of Derby (Lucky as we'll be playing them again next season). Genuinely loads of great beer pubs and new breweries.

Made the mistake of getting on a few of these one night while visiting Romania, I'll never forget the hangover.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Beer help ! on 13:10 - Jun 2 with 4078 viewsbob566

Beer help ! on 08:27 - Jun 2 by Pommyhoop

8.5% ????
Gods Holy Trousers!!!!
I thought I was brave with my latest tipple measuring in at 6.3%

But 8.5 % ? Jaysus ,I'd be stocious,...

theres an austrian beer called sammiclaus or somehting like that and its 14%. Its rocket fuel.
Beer help ! on 11:24 - Jun 7 with 3998 viewsHayesender

Had a few of these yesterday. Will be going back to buy some more in a bit.

Lovely drop

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Beer help ! on 15:11 - Jun 7 with 3944 viewsDiscodroids

just picked up 12 bottles from morrisons on offer

hold tight for feedback.

Beer help ! on 09:10 - Jun 8 with 3885 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Beer help ! on 11:24 - Jun 7 by Hayesender

Had a few of these yesterday. Will be going back to buy some more in a bit.

Lovely drop

Most Badger ones are bloody lovely

Beer help ! on 10:09 - Jun 8 with 3866 viewsMrSheen

Beer help ! on 09:10 - Jun 8 by Metallica_Hoop

Most Badger ones are bloody lovely

Badger's are great, except when they put peach in it.
Beer help ! on 10:11 - Jun 8 with 3865 viewsRamseyR

Crabbies Ginger Beer......Found one in my fridge which was left by a visitor. Drank it (be rude not to) and loved it. Been through about 20 bottles since
Beer help ! on 10:46 - Jun 8 with 3851 viewsrobith

Beer help ! on 15:11 - Jun 7 by Discodroids

just picked up 12 bottles from morrisons on offer

hold tight for feedback.

Ugh Sagres is horrid. I go to Porto a lot for Primavera festival and if you come across the rare bare that serves Sagres instead of Super Bock it's a swift about turn
Beer help ! on 12:07 - Jun 8 with 3838 viewscaptainmycaptian

Innis & gunn lovely stuff
Beer help ! on 12:22 - Jun 8 with 3825 viewsRs_Holy

Beer help ! on 13:10 - Jun 2 by bob566

theres an austrian beer called sammiclaus or somehting like that and its 14%. Its rocket fuel.

went to Amsterdam for my 40th and the strongest beer was Trappistes Rochefort 10...
The latest version of this beer is around 10% but back then it was around 12%.
I say around 12% because, when we asked for a glass, the bar maid told us it can vary from 12-14% depending on the batch.
It was incredibly good beer but you could not have more than 1!!!... The Rochefort 6 is still a knockout beer but not quite as "rich" as the 10... If you get a chance try them.
Beer help ! on 13:24 - Jun 8 with 3797 viewspaulparker

Beer help ! on 10:11 - Jun 8 by RamseyR

Crabbies Ginger Beer......Found one in my fridge which was left by a visitor. Drank it (be rude not to) and loved it. Been through about 20 bottles since

Don't mind a crabbies on a summers day, it help breaks up the dry taste
Of drinking larger all day in the sun
I always find a couple of shots of vodka in the crabbies gives it an edge

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Beer help ! on 13:30 - Jun 8 with 3796 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Crabbies Strawberry and Lime for me. Nom nom nom.

The Raspberry one repeats too much.

Beer help ! on 13:52 - Jun 8 with 3787 viewschris1969

Beer help ! on 11:04 - Jun 1 by Konk

When I was making the transition from lager, I spent a few years drinking wheat beers — Hoegaarden, Erdinger, Paulaner & Franziskaner — before moving onto Pale Ales/IPA’s for a couple of years, and I’m now happy to drink pretty much anything, and will have stout/porter/ruby ales during the colder months. And there’s still always the right occasion for a cold pint of Pilsener.

I think Amber/Pale/Golden ales are often seen as the “entry” beers for people getting into Real ale, and that’s been the case with a lot of people I know. If you decide to go down that route, you should be able to pick-up Goose Island IPA, Sierra Nevada or Brewdog Punk IPA from most supermarkets now. Most good off-licences in London now stock a good selection of interesting beers, with loads from London micro-breweries, which is a great development. I spent Saturday afternoon at the Wildcard Brewery Tap room in Walthamstow on Saturday and there’s something really satisfying about getting slowly pis sed whilst drinking beer produced locally, where the Brewer themselves is pouring your pint and your money’s staying in the local economy. It makes all-day drinking seem like a heroic, virtuous way to spend your time.

With lager, a cold pint on a hot day was nice, but I was generally drinking it to get pi ssed, if I’m honest, whereas once you start experimenting a bit, it opens a whole new world. Most decent boozers will let you have a little try of what’s on offering, whilst you’re choosing what to drink. I love going into a new pub and working my way through a load of beers I’ve never had before, and beers that are packed full of flavour, and for me there’s the added attraction of putting your money into local breweries rather than spunking a few grand a year on industrial slop knocked out by some multinational.

Wow Konk you've just summed up my drinking habits of the last 5 years, must also add Meantime Fools Gold to the list.

There's a great bar next to Cannon Street station called the 'Pelt Trader' which is worth a visit for its beer selection.
Beer help ! on 15:41 - Jun 8 with 3766 viewsMrSheen

Rauchbier (smoked beer) from Bamberg in Germany.

The barley is smoked before the beer is brewed to give it a strong distinctive taste. Delicious until about three pints in when your taste buds clock off for the night.

I was driving down to Prague and we picked Bamberg off the map as a place to stay for the night. When we got there it was a lovely medieval town with its own distinctive beer style. We wandered around foggy cobbled streets and ended up in a pub attached to a brewery getting introduced to rauchbier with a huge sausage and sauerkraut platter, like nothing had changed since the 16th century.
Beer help ! on 15:43 - Jun 8 with 3761 viewsaston_hoop

Beer help ! on 15:41 - Jun 8 by MrSheen

Rauchbier (smoked beer) from Bamberg in Germany.

The barley is smoked before the beer is brewed to give it a strong distinctive taste. Delicious until about three pints in when your taste buds clock off for the night.

I was driving down to Prague and we picked Bamberg off the map as a place to stay for the night. When we got there it was a lovely medieval town with its own distinctive beer style. We wandered around foggy cobbled streets and ended up in a pub attached to a brewery getting introduced to rauchbier with a huge sausage and sauerkraut platter, like nothing had changed since the 16th century.

Love that stuff, its like drinking ham.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Beer help ! on 15:46 - Jun 8 with 3761 viewssecretranger

I'd recommend signing up to beerbods. Subscription service whereby you get one beer a week (delivered every 3 months in a box of 12) and a virtual beer tasting session on twitter every Thursday at 9pm. Or do as I do and drink most of the 12 as soon as they come in.

https://beerbods.co.uk/
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024