Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ron Phillips 22:25 - Apr 2 with 16902 viewsflynnbo

Just to say I chatted on the phone to him this evening
Ron Phillips on 09:23 - May 7 with 1756 viewsTheBlob

I want to know what happened to the Percy Dalton geezer in the white coat -
heard he disappeared in an attempted coup somewhere in South America.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Ron Phillips on 09:28 - May 7 with 1746 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

Ron Phillips on 09:23 - May 7 by TheBlob

I want to know what happened to the Percy Dalton geezer in the white coat -
heard he disappeared in an attempted coup somewhere in South America.

And the Golden Goals man with his board giving the times of the first goal.
Ron Phillips on 09:42 - May 7 with 1729 viewsTheBlob

Ron Phillips on 09:28 - May 7 by Sudbury_Hill_R

And the Golden Goals man with his board giving the times of the first goal.

I suppose the members of the Boys Brigade band - trumpet player only had about three notes - are all either dead,insane or Tory Councillors by now.

Ron Phillips on 10:08 - May 7 with 1715 viewsElHoop

Ron Phillips on 08:45 - May 7 by ShotKneesHoop

Could Ron explain how they made the attendance numbers up in the good old days.

Was it like 'Arry picks his team these days - out of a tombola?

Based on how many were in the ground at 2.30 pm?

Numbers taken from the last five results?

Based on every single click of the turnstiles?

Some of the games I went to, the ground seemed rammed but the numbers never reflected the degree of cramming in.

Please note that I am not a tax inspector!!

I once worked with a guy whose father was Jim Gregory's company accountant at one point in time - car dealership. He had a few stories!

And another story from someone else involved a signing-on fee paid in a Tesco bag - all above board of course.
Ron Phillips on 12:16 - May 7 with 1680 viewsJuzzie

I was proudly one of the many sitting in the centre circle before that Man City game and I didn't take any offence to any comments over the PA. Even in my late teens I knew it was said due to the pressures of getting the game started and risk from the authorities the game could be cancelled and we forfited any points and other penalties.

As far as I was concerneced, the point was made. The game started and we won 1-0.
Ron Phillips on 11:54 - May 9 with 1610 viewsTacticalR

Ron Phillips on 23:27 - Apr 3 by TacticalR

Next time you speak to him can you ask him whose idea it was to sell Goddard & Allen?

I'd still like to know the answer to that one. Was that was that genuinely Tommy Docherty's idiocy or was he merely the fall guy?

Air hostess clique

Ron Phillips on 18:26 - May 12 with 1555 viewsRonPhillips

Ron Phillips on 11:36 - May 6 by 18StoneOfHoop

Phantom playing card urban myths and confusing shenanigans remind me a touch of the confounding strange postcards sent from all around the globe by a gnome apparently in Amelie:

Ron, a lot of punters on here were angry and disgusted about the shabby way the club treated one of your successors the great,kind,unflagging Sheila Marson when she took the fall for a cock-up in the registration/signing of a player - I forget which one,someone will tell us hopefully. Any thoughts,comments or inside info on this?
[Post edited 6 May 2014 20:34]

I can only agree with every word you say. Sheila was one of the best Secretaries the Football League ever possessed - far more knowledgeable in soccer affairs than I could ever hope to be. Nothing was too much trouble for her - she was one of the hardest workers I ever met - and totally loyal to Rangers. The only reason I was finally able to escape from the club was because I knew I was leaving it in her good hands. I had no idea she had been sacked until I read this. A huge mistake on the part of the club, I'm afraid, which bodes ill for the future..
Ron Phillips on 18:32 - May 12 with 1544 viewsShotKneesHoop

Ron Phillips on 18:26 - May 12 by RonPhillips

I can only agree with every word you say. Sheila was one of the best Secretaries the Football League ever possessed - far more knowledgeable in soccer affairs than I could ever hope to be. Nothing was too much trouble for her - she was one of the hardest workers I ever met - and totally loyal to Rangers. The only reason I was finally able to escape from the club was because I knew I was leaving it in her good hands. I had no idea she had been sacked until I read this. A huge mistake on the part of the club, I'm afraid, which bodes ill for the future..

It was Paladini wot did her in.

Bet you're glad you never had to work for the greasey waiter.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Login to get fewer ads

Ron Phillips on 18:36 - May 12 with 1539 viewsRonPhillips

Ron Phillips on 20:17 - May 6 by Kingstan

The Nick Kidd Portfolio became extinct due to the Omniturf ! I could not for the life of me ever get any decent action snaps on the plastic pitch. Terry Venables was keen for no pictures to contain knee burns because the pitch was controversial at the time receiving allot of bad publicity and of course most of my photographs contained players with skin burns ! Can you remember ringing me up to rush over to Loftus Rd one afternoon to take photos of a sodden pitch so the club could send the pictures to the FA to help the case for the plastic pitch ? Nick.

Gosh, you're right. I haven't thought about the plastic pitch for decades. It was my job to defend it but it was a hard job when everyone in the soccer world detested it. The pitch should have been taken up long before we eventually removed it. However, Alan Hardaker, the Football League Secretary, made the mistake of ordering Jim Gregory to get rid of it. That pair were always at war with each other. As soon as Jim Gregory got the order... the pitch stayed.
Ron Phillips on 18:43 - May 12 with 1528 viewsRonPhillips

Ron Phillips on 12:16 - May 7 by Juzzie

I was proudly one of the many sitting in the centre circle before that Man City game and I didn't take any offence to any comments over the PA. Even in my late teens I knew it was said due to the pressures of getting the game started and risk from the authorities the game could be cancelled and we forfited any points and other penalties.

As far as I was concerneced, the point was made. The game started and we won 1-0.

Thanks, Juzzie. I'm glad that someone appreciated the pressure we were under. But it wasn't just loss of the points that was threatened - it was ground closure.
Ron Phillips on 18:53 - May 12 with 1518 viewsRonPhillips

Ron Phillips on 11:54 - May 9 by TacticalR

I'd still like to know the answer to that one. Was that was that genuinely Tommy Docherty's idiocy or was he merely the fall guy?

Useless to ask me to explain the sales or purchases of Rangers players. If (on the rare occasions I was sitting in on a meeting to discuss team building) II dared to comment... there would be a stunned silence until I changed the subject. But I totally agree about Goddard and Allen - and the 8th letter of the alphabet.
Ron Phillips on 19:02 - May 12 with 1508 viewsKingstan

Ron Phillips on 18:36 - May 12 by RonPhillips

Gosh, you're right. I haven't thought about the plastic pitch for decades. It was my job to defend it but it was a hard job when everyone in the soccer world detested it. The pitch should have been taken up long before we eventually removed it. However, Alan Hardaker, the Football League Secretary, made the mistake of ordering Jim Gregory to get rid of it. That pair were always at war with each other. As soon as Jim Gregory got the order... the pitch stayed.

I have the most awful confession to make, you asked me how I got the pitch to look so waterlogged if you remember, what I failed to mention was that I asked the groundsman to hose areas of the pitch with water then got him to stand in the puddles with his wellington boots on as they sank into the mud. Sorry ! Nick.
Ron Phillips on 19:21 - May 12 with 1492 viewsTheBlob

Ron Phillips on 19:02 - May 12 by Kingstan

I have the most awful confession to make, you asked me how I got the pitch to look so waterlogged if you remember, what I failed to mention was that I asked the groundsman to hose areas of the pitch with water then got him to stand in the puddles with his wellington boots on as they sank into the mud. Sorry ! Nick.

Was it true we got the artficial pitch because the groundsman rolled the drainage pipes flat with a heavy roller?

Ron Phillips on 19:31 - May 12 with 1479 viewsKingstan

Ron Phillips on 19:21 - May 12 by TheBlob

Was it true we got the artficial pitch because the groundsman rolled the drainage pipes flat with a heavy roller?

I doubt it but brilliant if that was the real reason. On reflection though, the groundsman seemed a bit too keen to make the pitch look worse than it was for the photographs !
Ron Phillips on 23:08 - May 12 with 1442 viewsTheBlob

Ron Phillips on 19:31 - May 12 by Kingstan

I doubt it but brilliant if that was the real reason. On reflection though, the groundsman seemed a bit too keen to make the pitch look worse than it was for the photographs !

I'd heard he was only good at preparing cricket pitches.{grin]

Ron Phillips on 23:39 - May 12 with 1430 viewsdistortR

Ron Phillips on 08:44 - May 4 by RonPhillips

Ouch, it wasn't my brother. He is, and always has been, an incredibly hard working bank manager. How many more people are going around, claiming to be relatives of mine?

tw@t of a landlord in a pub in the isle of man claims to be your cousin? It pretty much got me banned, long story and I was on form!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024