Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ron Phillips 22:25 - Apr 2 with 16900 viewsflynnbo

Just to say I chatted on the phone to him this evening
Ron Phillips on 11:50 - May 1 with 2759 viewspaulparker

Ron Phillips on 11:48 - May 1 by RonPhillips

Ron Phillips speaking (Yes, the ex-QPR Secretary and Programme Editor - I don't get a lot of time playing at mid-field for Bury nowadays).
Sorry to eavesdrop on the correspondence about me but I'm delighted to see there was nothing too derogatory!

My brother, Peter, who still goes to Rangers occasionally, directed me to this site. I thought it was about time I cleared up the Mystery Of The Missing Apostrophe, or it will continue into the 22nd Century.

Oldtimers will recall that, when I started the new, improved QPR programme in 1966, I designed a highly original cover for it, consisting of a chequer board, with the famous 'Little Men' on white squares of the board, alternating with the letters of Queen's Park Rangers.

Our printers were very helpful but phoned me one day to ask for a decision about the apostrophe. The letters of the alphabet looked O.K. on the white squares but an apostrophe by itself on a white square looked silly. And, if they tried to put a letter and the apostrophe on a white square together, they would look squashed.

Famous for my snap decisions, I said "Then drop the apostrophe. No-one will notice"...

The new cover came out and everyone liked it (and, as I keep reminding people, we won the award for 'Best Programme In The Football League' two years running).

The printers apparently liked it too because, one day, I noticed they had dropped the apostrophe from the Queen's Park Rangers title inside the programme.

This looked O.K., so I decided to leave it as it was - otherwise we would have had to live with two different formats of QPR's name in the same programme.

In addition, we were in the good company of Regents Park, Barons Court,
Lloyds Bank, etc., who all possessed apostrophes originally.

23 years went by and (as far as I can recall) no-one ever said a word about the missing apostrophe. I left QPR and, within a few months, the sky fell in upon me. Every Rangers fan on the planet seemed to be bewailing the loss.

Anyway, there it is. My defence rests.
You can change it back, of course, but I assure you that you will then receive hundreds of complaints about why you have decided to include an apostrophe in the club's name.

You really can't win, you know.

Anyway, best wishes to Rangers fans who may be reading this. It looks as if it will be a terrific season next time.

Ron Phillips

that's all well & good ron but you forgot the cardinal Sin of not noting your Cheese of Choice before you post on here !!

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Ron Phillips on 11:54 - May 1 with 2745 viewsHantsR

I really liked the chequered programme cover with little men. Simple design for a great era.
Ron Phillips on 12:24 - May 1 with 2689 viewsqprxtc

The programmes under Ron Phillips were superb. Even reading them now some 40 years later, they are still entertaining. Great photos, articles and features. It knocks the current programme for six. There was a style to them that is completely lost these days in the air tight vacuum of PR vacuousness!

Also it can’t have been easy being the frontman for Jim Gregory. From what I remember hearing at the time, Ron put up with a lot of things that, these days, would not be tolerated.

Still, what a time to be working at Rangers!

Good to hear from you Ron.
Ron Phillips on 12:28 - May 1 with 2676 viewsJuzzie

Ron Phillips on 12:24 - May 1 by qprxtc

The programmes under Ron Phillips were superb. Even reading them now some 40 years later, they are still entertaining. Great photos, articles and features. It knocks the current programme for six. There was a style to them that is completely lost these days in the air tight vacuum of PR vacuousness!

Also it can’t have been easy being the frontman for Jim Gregory. From what I remember hearing at the time, Ron put up with a lot of things that, these days, would not be tolerated.

Still, what a time to be working at Rangers!

Good to hear from you Ron.

Quality over quantity.
Ron Phillips on 12:31 - May 1 with 2660 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

Welcome Ron. Great days indeed. I'm always remembering that at this stage of the season, there was always a few lines in the programme about how many season tickets had already been bought for next season and that there were very few left so get in quick to renew. What a salesman you were!
Ron Phillips on 12:40 - May 1 with 2637 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I loved Rangers In The Strangest Places! Even now I can't see the word Loft on a sign without wishing I had a camera and a pair of khaki shorts!

Good to hear from you, Ron.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Ron Phillips on 12:47 - May 1 with 2620 viewsTheBlob

Ron Phillips speaking (Yes, the ex-QPR Secretary and Programme Editor - I don't get a lot of time playing at mid-field for Bury nowadays).
Sorry to eavesdrop on the correspondence about me but I'm delighted to see there was nothing too derogatory!

My brother, Peter, who still goes to Rangers occasionally, directed me to this site. I thought it was about time I cleared up the Mystery Of The Missing Apostrophe, or it will continue into the 22nd Century.

Oldtimers will recall that, when I started the new, improved QPR programme in 1966, I designed a highly original cover for it, consisting of a chequer board, with the famous 'Little Men' on white squares of the board, alternating with the letters of Queen's Park Rangers.

Our printers were very helpful but phoned me one day to ask for a decision about the apostrophe. The letters of the alphabet looked O.K. on the white squares but an apostrophe by itself on a white square looked silly. And, if they tried to put a letter and the apostrophe on a white square together, they would look squashed.

Famous for my snap decisions, I said "Then drop the apostrophe. No-one will notice"...

The new cover came out and everyone liked it (and, as I keep reminding people, we won the award for 'Best Programme In The Football League' two years running).

The printers apparently liked it too because, one day, I noticed they had dropped the apostrophe from the Queen's Park Rangers title inside the programme.

This looked O.K., so I decided to leave it as it was - otherwise we would have had to live with two different formats of QPR's name in the same programme.

23 years went by and (as far as I can recall) no-one ever said a word about the missing apostrophe. I left QPR and, within a few months, the sky fell in upon me. Every Rangers fan on the planet seemed to be bewailing the loss.

You can change it back, of course, but I assure you that you will then receive hundreds of complaints about why you have decided to include an apostrophe in the club's name.

Anyway, best wishes to Rangers fans who may be reading this. It looks as if it will be a terrific season next time.

Ron Phillips

Lovely to hear from you Ron,I've got a ton of those programmes in the attic.
Don't be a stranger,would love to hear any stray anecdotes.
I think we can forgive you that one minor aberration.What's done can be undone.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Ron Phillips on 13:14 - May 1 with 2574 viewssmegma

Ron Phillips

Im sorry but you called us fans who were on the pitch vs Man City in 86 'not real fans'. Yet I still go on a weekly basis and have been a ST holder for the past 26-27 years proving I am a real fan. I stuck by us in the third tier and during administration. WHERE WERE YOU ??
Login to get fewer ads

Ron Phillips on 13:16 - May 1 with 2571 viewsstevec

My Mum, in her 80's, still asks 'is Ron Phillips still at QPR?' - don't panic Ron, if you're out there... she's never met you, never had the slightest interest in football, but when we got back from the game she'd always grab the programme and go straight at the competition you had in there. Don't know if she was the only one who did it but won the cash so many times she swears you pulled it so Jim Gregory wouldn't go broke!

Great programme, still got piles of them securely wrapped at the back of the garage. The club had style those days.
Ron Phillips on 13:25 - May 1 with 2560 viewsTheBlob

Ron Phillips on 13:14 - May 1 by smegma

Im sorry but you called us fans who were on the pitch vs Man City in 86 'not real fans'. Yet I still go on a weekly basis and have been a ST holder for the past 26-27 years proving I am a real fan. I stuck by us in the third tier and during administration. WHERE WERE YOU ??

So what do you want, a medal?

Ron Phillips on 13:31 - May 1 with 2538 viewsQPRski

Ron Phillips

Great to hear from you.

Happy memories from my youth reading the match program standing in The Loft hoping for a good view of the match.
Ron Phillips on 15:18 - May 1 with 2454 viewsTrellick

Hi Ron , I think your brother taught me electrical installation at acton tech in the 70,s , at least he told us he was your brother
Ron Phillips on 17:38 - May 1 with 2405 viewsfrancisbowles

Thanks for getting in touch Ron. I too loved the programme, my dad used to bring them from a mate at work when I was about 9-12 and they were instrumental in converting me into an R and away from the so called glamour sides.

I also still have all of them in the loft but I gave up buying the programme about ten years ago, as it had become unnecessary and irrelevant.

I once met Jim Gregory on a plane going to Nice in the mid/late 80's. I had a quick chat and he was very polite and delighted that I was a hoop. I'm sure I only saw his 'nice' side as he was off on a jolly with his wife and two friends.
Ron Phillips on 18:29 - May 1 with 2377 viewsterryb

Those programs were by far the best I had seen at that time fromr a football club.

Dare I say that Ron Phillips was directly responsible for changing all English productions from a teamsheet to a magazine style. Some of the quotes in his editorials were superb.

My memory tells me that he printed a series called "A funny thing happened to me on the way to the Bush". Absolutely brilliant!
Ron Phillips on 19:12 - May 1 with 2345 viewsbatmanhoop

used to sell the programmes when Ron was secretary, a true gentleman
Ron Phillips on 19:31 - May 1 with 2180 viewsenfieldargh

Daphne Biggs got me an interview with ron for a job as kit man when tommy doc was manger 2nd time around

He told me to steer well clear of working with TD.

The bloke who got it was there for years after

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Ron Phillips on 20:15 - May 1 with 2151 viewsbobby

I was a programme seller at the end of the 60's and then became Ron Phillips office boy after leaving st clement danes in 1970..
he was a true gent and had a great sense of humour..
that was during the time of Alec Stock Rodney Marsh the Morgan Twins etc
happy days!

http://twitter.com/#/bobbyosborne1

Ron Phillips on 21:04 - May 1 with 2115 viewsflynnbo

Glad you joined up, Ron. Will catch up with you again shortly. Maybe we can get that Q&A session going.
Ron Phillips on 21:22 - May 1 with 2090 viewsYorkRanger

If anyone wonders why we spend some of our spare time on LFW - wonder no more...
Ron Phillips on 21:43 - May 1 with 2070 viewsShotKneesHoop

Those were the days when Ron's programmes were worth reading.

The programmes are always a reflection on the quality of the team.

Brilliant then. Crap now aren't they?

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Ron Phillips on 21:46 - May 1 with 2067 viewsQPunkR

Great to hear from you in person Ron, and thanks for clearing up the argument over the apostrophe!

QPR - "shit but local"

Ron Phillips on 22:06 - May 1 with 2047 viewsQPRDEL

I think you used to get a pull out in the programme in those days.
My memory is a bit fuzzy but i think it was the football league programme.
Ron Phillips on 22:33 - May 1 with 2021 viewsenfieldargh

Ron Phillips on 22:06 - May 1 by QPRDEL

It weas called the Football League review and was in most teams programmes. I think it was fortnightly as it would be in our programme one week then when we were away the following Saturday it would be the same edition in their prog.

In those days it was home, away, home away. You only got conescutive home games if it was FA Cup day or near the end of season playing catch up.

Saturdays were so simple then

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Ron Phillips on 22:40 - May 1 with 2011 viewsTheBlob

Ron Phillips on 22:06 - May 1 by QPRDEL

Great cartoons(although terribly non PC thank god)from Bill Tidy.

Ron Phillips on 22:42 - May 1 with 2008 viewsLondon_Pride

Ron, you personified Rangers for me and many others and are one of the reasons why I still love the club. It was a great time to be Rangers fan and I thank you for that as much as the wonderful players.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024