Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who's the imposter in the number 7 shirt with Willock on its back? 16:06 - Jan 14 with 14249 viewsswisscottage

Because That's not Chris Willock.

Can't trap the ball.
Can't control the ball.
Can't pass the ball
Can't cross the ball
Can't stay on his feet.

His swagger is completely gone... what on earth has happened to him?
Who's the imposter in the number 7 shirt with Willock on its back? on 16:44 - Jan 16 with 1632 viewsLoyalitat

Who's the imposter in the number 7 shirt with Willock on its back? on 21:27 - Jan 15 by davman

... and Critchley is right; he deserves our support to get back to where he was. No point booing him.

Totally agree Davman. The booing just beggars belief.

He will get back near to his very best, just give him time.
Who's the imposter in the number 7 shirt with Willock on its back? on 16:45 - Jan 16 with 1631 viewsHunterhoop

Who's the imposter in the number 7 shirt with Willock on its back? on 15:23 - Jan 16 by traininvain

He’s already been hooked at half time vs Burnley and dropped vs Luton so the club evidently aren’t scared to rock the apple cart and take him out of the first team.

I don’t buy this idea that Willock’s holding back to secure a move elsewhere. It’s counterintuitive as ultimately playing badly isn’t going to get him a move.

We’ll have to agree to disagree but personally I think it’s more realistic that we’re watching a footballer who’s struggling to recapture his form after a couple of injuries.

Watch him next match closely and see if he shies away from physical challenges or running with the ball or on to it in a way that opens him up to be slide tackled. Perhaps he’s just nervous about his body and isn’t consciously protecting it for a move. But in either scenario it’s not giving 100%. He’s holding back. That’s why he’s been hooked. There’s a difference between subbing a player (normal) and dropping him for a prolonged period and slating him in public or not defending him (unusual). The club can’t do the latter due to his asset value being impacted…even if they are critical of him behind the scenes.

I should add, I desperately want him to rediscover his form and get back to his best. He’s our best player by miles when on song.

I just think when the squad and others are criticised for lack of effort, Willock gets defended when, to me at least, he’s putting in less effort currently than most of them.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2023 16:47]
Who's the imposter in the number 7 shirt with Willock on its back? on 17:03 - Jan 16 with 1557 viewstraininvain

Who's the imposter in the number 7 shirt with Willock on its back? on 16:45 - Jan 16 by Hunterhoop

Watch him next match closely and see if he shies away from physical challenges or running with the ball or on to it in a way that opens him up to be slide tackled. Perhaps he’s just nervous about his body and isn’t consciously protecting it for a move. But in either scenario it’s not giving 100%. He’s holding back. That’s why he’s been hooked. There’s a difference between subbing a player (normal) and dropping him for a prolonged period and slating him in public or not defending him (unusual). The club can’t do the latter due to his asset value being impacted…even if they are critical of him behind the scenes.

I should add, I desperately want him to rediscover his form and get back to his best. He’s our best player by miles when on song.

I just think when the squad and others are criticised for lack of effort, Willock gets defended when, to me at least, he’s putting in less effort currently than most of them.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2023 16:47]

Totally agree that he’s shying away from the physical side of the game. Where we disagree is whether that’s because of a) injuries and not fully trusting his body or b) he (or his dad) has lined up a move elsewhere and doesn’t want to get injured again to jeopardise the deal.

Fair enough if you (and others) have had it on good authority that it’s the latter and I’ll no doubt stand corrected when the transfer goes through. But I do feel it’s a big accusation to make against a pro footballer and it could turn our fans against him which doesn’t benefit any of us.

Let’s hope proves us all wrong on Saturday!
Who's the imposter in the number 7 shirt with Willock on its back? on 17:40 - Jan 16 with 1481 viewsHunterhoop

Who's the imposter in the number 7 shirt with Willock on its back? on 17:03 - Jan 16 by traininvain

Totally agree that he’s shying away from the physical side of the game. Where we disagree is whether that’s because of a) injuries and not fully trusting his body or b) he (or his dad) has lined up a move elsewhere and doesn’t want to get injured again to jeopardise the deal.

Fair enough if you (and others) have had it on good authority that it’s the latter and I’ll no doubt stand corrected when the transfer goes through. But I do feel it’s a big accusation to make against a pro footballer and it could turn our fans against him which doesn’t benefit any of us.

Let’s hope proves us all wrong on Saturday!

I’m not sure he does have a move lined up. I hope he does (we need the money). What I’m concerned about is that his Dad has told him that he won’t get a move if he’s injured and so priority no. 1 is to not do his hammy again, or pick up a bad injury. You can see how that will limit interest and potentially scupper his Dad’s big pay day.

If it is just him not trusting his body, sooner rather than later he needs to snap out of it and put it on the line. If he’s not fit, he shouldn’t be playing. If the club think he is physically fit and ready to go, but the player is holding back, that is something he needs to change asap. It might be understandable, but it’s not acceptable, especially when he’s been back playing for a month. It didn’t take Faurlin, Ainsworth, etc this long to get back up to speed after much worse injuries.
Who's the imposter in the number 7 shirt with Willock on its back? on 18:29 - Jan 16 with 1425 viewsdavman

Who's the imposter in the number 7 shirt with Willock on its back? on 17:40 - Jan 16 by Hunterhoop

I’m not sure he does have a move lined up. I hope he does (we need the money). What I’m concerned about is that his Dad has told him that he won’t get a move if he’s injured and so priority no. 1 is to not do his hammy again, or pick up a bad injury. You can see how that will limit interest and potentially scupper his Dad’s big pay day.

If it is just him not trusting his body, sooner rather than later he needs to snap out of it and put it on the line. If he’s not fit, he shouldn’t be playing. If the club think he is physically fit and ready to go, but the player is holding back, that is something he needs to change asap. It might be understandable, but it’s not acceptable, especially when he’s been back playing for a month. It didn’t take Faurlin, Ainsworth, etc this long to get back up to speed after much worse injuries.

Sorry, Tom, but what have I missed? You are adamant that "his Dad has told him that he won’t get a move if he’s injured and so priority no. 1 is to not do his hammy again, or pick up a bad injury" - do you know that for a fact (which is what your wording suggests) or are you just speculating?

I have no idea either way, but would also observe that when he first came to us, he looked a little lightweight and weak defensively, so maybe this is him working his way back up.

In any case, people need to get over themselves on this. The club will NOT be in any position to offer him anything meaningful in terms of a new contract, so its completely fanciful to think that he'd be interested in staying beyond the next 18 months. I am not suggesting that he should be wrapping himself in cotton wool, but another injury at the tail end of the season like the one he had last year will be the death knell to any kind of payday.

It is just the shite hand P&S has dealt us and is the future.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Who's the imposter in the number 7 shirt with Willock on its back? on 18:53 - Jan 16 with 1393 views1JD

Who's the imposter in the number 7 shirt with Willock on its back? on 18:29 - Jan 16 by davman

Sorry, Tom, but what have I missed? You are adamant that "his Dad has told him that he won’t get a move if he’s injured and so priority no. 1 is to not do his hammy again, or pick up a bad injury" - do you know that for a fact (which is what your wording suggests) or are you just speculating?

I have no idea either way, but would also observe that when he first came to us, he looked a little lightweight and weak defensively, so maybe this is him working his way back up.

In any case, people need to get over themselves on this. The club will NOT be in any position to offer him anything meaningful in terms of a new contract, so its completely fanciful to think that he'd be interested in staying beyond the next 18 months. I am not suggesting that he should be wrapping himself in cotton wool, but another injury at the tail end of the season like the one he had last year will be the death knell to any kind of payday.

You wrote “The club will NOT be in any position to offer him anything meaningful in terms of a new contract, so its completely fanciful to think that he'd be interested in staying beyond the next 18 months”

A few points;
- The club are already on record via Lee Hoos at the last fans forum that contract negotiations were ongoing and that they believed Willock was happy and wanted to stay.
- The club also suggested they are prepared to get creative i.e. add a percentage cut of any future transfer fee, to get the deal done with his dad agent (who is known to drive a hard bargain)
- The club can and will offer Willock an attractive deal. We’d be mad not too. His asset value (on top form, of course) justifies the business case. We are not taking about a 1m player here commanding big wages. We are talking about our most sellable asset. And as a result, the maths more than stacks up.

Edit- whether he chooses to sign or not is another matter!
[Post edited 16 Jan 2023 18:55]
Who's the imposter in the number 7 shirt with Willock on its back? on 19:12 - Jan 16 with 1342 viewsdavman

Who's the imposter in the number 7 shirt with Willock on its back? on 18:53 - Jan 16 by 1JD

You wrote “The club will NOT be in any position to offer him anything meaningful in terms of a new contract, so its completely fanciful to think that he'd be interested in staying beyond the next 18 months”

A few points;
- The club are already on record via Lee Hoos at the last fans forum that contract negotiations were ongoing and that they believed Willock was happy and wanted to stay.
- The club also suggested they are prepared to get creative i.e. add a percentage cut of any future transfer fee, to get the deal done with his dad agent (who is known to drive a hard bargain)
- The club can and will offer Willock an attractive deal. We’d be mad not too. His asset value (on top form, of course) justifies the business case. We are not taking about a 1m player here commanding big wages. We are talking about our most sellable asset. And as a result, the maths more than stacks up.

Edit- whether he chooses to sign or not is another matter!
[Post edited 16 Jan 2023 18:55]

Honest question. All of that is speculation on your part, isn't it? I heard Hoos and Ferdinand say that Willock and Chair were happy at QPR and that they had started conversations about a contract, but I did not hear any of the other stuff you quote - for example a cut of a transfer fee. Did they say that or have you put an optimistic interpretation on something you think you heard?

You say that the club would be "mad" not to put a good package together. You have been following us since Fernandes took over, right? Mad is about right.

Look, I'm as much in the know as you, but Willock's next contract has to be a step up and I can't see us, with the restrictions currently in place, getting anywhere near what he'll be able to command.

I hope I am wrong and you are right, but I've seen nothing in the last ten years to suggest that will be the case. Apart from Chair, Eze and Freeman, when have we secured anyone worthwhile to an improved contract?

Can we go out yet?

Who's the imposter in the number 7 shirt with Willock on its back? on 20:15 - Jan 16 with 1300 viewsWestonsuperR

Who's the imposter in the number 7 shirt with Willock on its back? on 18:24 - Jan 14 by queensparker

He’s not fit since the injury. It’s obvious from watching him play.

I find it hard to believe any Manager would let him play if this was the case, definitely seems something wrong but surely NC won’t pick an unfit player.
Login to get fewer ads

Who's the imposter in the number 7 shirt with Willock on its back? on 20:36 - Jan 16 with 1248 viewsQPR_Hibs

Who's the imposter in the number 7 shirt with Willock on its back? on 18:29 - Jan 16 by davman

My interpretation is that Tom is concerned that Willock's Dad may have said "Don't get injured" rather than he knows that for a fact.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2023 21:00]

"Remember to listen to me but look at her. Don't get it the wrong way round. That would be hideous."

Who's the imposter in the number 7 shirt with Willock on its back? on 20:37 - Jan 16 with 1245 viewsswisscottage

Who's the imposter in the number 7 shirt with Willock on its back? on 19:12 - Jan 16 by davman

Honest question. All of that is speculation on your part, isn't it? I heard Hoos and Ferdinand say that Willock and Chair were happy at QPR and that they had started conversations about a contract, but I did not hear any of the other stuff you quote - for example a cut of a transfer fee. Did they say that or have you put an optimistic interpretation on something you think you heard?

You say that the club would be "mad" not to put a good package together. You have been following us since Fernandes took over, right? Mad is about right.

Look, I'm as much in the know as you, but Willock's next contract has to be a step up and I can't see us, with the restrictions currently in place, getting anywhere near what he'll be able to command.

I hope I am wrong and you are right, but I've seen nothing in the last ten years to suggest that will be the case. Apart from Chair, Eze and Freeman, when have we secured anyone worthwhile to an improved contract?

In respect you your last paragraph Dav.

With the exception of BOS and Manning, who in living memory has been worth an improved contract other than the three mentioned. ?
Who's the imposter in the number 7 shirt with Willock on its back? on 20:44 - Jan 16 with 1221 viewsHunterhoop

Who's the imposter in the number 7 shirt with Willock on its back? on 20:36 - Jan 16 by QPR_Hibs

My interpretation is that Tom is concerned that Willock's Dad may have said "Don't get injured" rather than he knows that for a fact.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2023 21:00]

Thank you. I’m just giving my opinion, my view on what I think may have happened. I’ve never said I know anything is fact. That is putting words in my mouth. Knowing what I have been reliably informed about his Dad, I think it’s more likely than a professional, who is also a high value asset, deemed fully fit by his club, is taking over a month to get even remotely close to his average performance levels for earlier this season and last. I just don’t believe his contract position has nothing to do with this.

I really hope he’ll up his performance levels.
Who's the imposter in the number 7 shirt with Willock on its back? on 20:51 - Jan 16 with 1198 viewsHunterhoop

Who's the imposter in the number 7 shirt with Willock on its back? on 20:15 - Jan 16 by WestonsuperR

I find it hard to believe any Manager would let him play if this was the case, definitely seems something wrong but surely NC won’t pick an unfit player.

Exactly. That’s especially true when the player concerned is your highest value asset. No way would the club risk him being out for another 6 months.

The club must think/believe he is fully fit physically. Hence my speculation that he’s either worried about his body (psychological) or he’s been advised to do everything he can not to get injured. Could be a bit of both.

What is clear is that his performances are significantly worse than early season and last season and he appears (I’m sure the data would back this up hence him being hooked) that he isn’t working very hard or making attacking runs.
Who's the imposter in the number 7 shirt with Willock on its back? on 21:29 - Jan 16 with 1153 viewsdaveB

Who's the imposter in the number 7 shirt with Willock on its back? on 20:51 - Jan 16 by Hunterhoop

Exactly. That’s especially true when the player concerned is your highest value asset. No way would the club risk him being out for another 6 months.

The club must think/believe he is fully fit physically. Hence my speculation that he’s either worried about his body (psychological) or he’s been advised to do everything he can not to get injured. Could be a bit of both.

What is clear is that his performances are significantly worse than early season and last season and he appears (I’m sure the data would back this up hence him being hooked) that he isn’t working very hard or making attacking runs.

playing devils advocate you could say the same about Dickie who is nowhere near the player he looked before his injury last season
Who's the imposter in the number 7 shirt with Willock on its back? on 21:36 - Jan 16 with 1135 views1JD

Who's the imposter in the number 7 shirt with Willock on its back? on 19:12 - Jan 16 by davman

Not speculation. Hoos directly said they were discussing a future cut of any transfer fee during the latter part of the fans forum.
Who's the imposter in the number 7 shirt with Willock on its back? on 21:36 - Jan 16 with 1134 viewsdavman

Who's the imposter in the number 7 shirt with Willock on its back? on 20:37 - Jan 16 by swisscottage

In respect you your last paragraph Dav.

With the exception of BOS and Manning, who in living memory has been worth an improved contract other than the three mentioned. ?

Nico, Ozzie, MacBonne, er, woaah hang on, you got me there!

Can we go out yet?

Who's the imposter in the number 7 shirt with Willock on its back? on 21:38 - Jan 16 with 1125 viewsdavman

Who's the imposter in the number 7 shirt with Willock on its back? on 21:36 - Jan 16 by 1JD

Not speculation. Hoos directly said they were discussing a future cut of any transfer fee during the latter part of the fans forum.

Fair enough; missed that...

Can we go out yet?

Who's the imposter in the number 7 shirt with Willock on its back? on 13:39 - Jan 17 with 965 viewsconnell10

Well I watched the full Reading match , and i thought he showed some nice touches. Let's get off his back now and get behind him...he seems a decent bloke.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Who's the imposter in the number 7 shirt with Willock on its back? on 15:35 - Jan 17 with 913 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Who's the imposter in the number 7 shirt with Willock on its back? on 13:39 - Jan 17 by connell10

Well I watched the full Reading match , and i thought he showed some nice touches. Let's get off his back now and get behind him...he seems a decent bloke.

FWIW, I thought he got stuck in as well.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Who's the imposter in the number 7 shirt with Willock on its back? on 17:37 - Jan 17 with 762 viewsswisscottage

Who's the imposter in the number 7 shirt with Willock on its back? on 15:35 - Jan 17 by BrianMcCarthy

FWIW, I thought he got stuck in as well.

In some respects I regret the tone of the OP, which was posted at half time v Reading, and he was noticeably better immediately after half time although still considerably off his best.

That being said in the first half he was atrocious, and what topped it for me was consistently not covering back and leaving Paal exposed and that is what tipped it for me.

I can understand being out of form, but if you accept that you can still do the covering back and marking space, and to not do that bare minimum was what really ticked me off.

Its so noticeable when compared to Ilias. You know with Ilias that he never hides, even when he's not having a good game he's putting in 100%, chasing everything down, tracking back and putting in the hard yards. If Willock really wants that move to a premiership club he needs to take a leaf out of Ilias' book in that regard.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024