Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bookies not paying out 18:45 - Jan 3 with 6538 viewsbritferry

He made this bet

Corals said the bets were "too closely related" and refused to pay out the £15,000 instead they offered him £660

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11595073/Punter-thought-hed-won-15k-10-

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

Bookies not paying out on 09:49 - Jan 5 with 1205 viewsCountyJim

Sky bet claim to be Britain's biggest bookies they have never had stores in
Bookies not paying out on 09:57 - Jan 5 with 1180 viewsDr_Parnassus

Bookies not paying out on 09:31 - Jan 5 by trampie

You didn't understand the difference between off course shop betting and online betting either.

What?

Don’t change mate.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Bookies not paying out on 10:19 - Jan 5 with 1161 viewstrampie

Bookies not paying out on 09:49 - Jan 5 by CountyJim

Sky bet claim to be Britain's biggest bookies they have never had stores in

Roathie asking what Liverpool bookie I'm referring too he can't work it out, he can't make a connection, it somewhat betrays his age .

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Bookies not paying out on 10:20 - Jan 5 with 1150 viewsDr_Parnassus

Bookies not paying out on 10:19 - Jan 5 by trampie

Roathie asking what Liverpool bookie I'm referring too he can't work it out, he can't make a connection, it somewhat betrays his age .

You said it was a promo, then not a promo, then a promo again. Then a Liverpool bookmaker, then an online bookmaker that doesn’t have any shops…

Say the name, why the secret? Anyone would think you just got busted

Bookies not paying out on 10:48 - Jan 5 with 1119 viewstrampie

Bookies not paying out on 10:20 - Jan 5 by Dr_Parnassus

You said it was a promo, then not a promo, then a promo again. Then a Liverpool bookmaker, then an online bookmaker that doesn’t have any shops…

Say the name, why the secret? Anyone would think you just got busted

You said you was going to work it out and it's easy, even somebody like you with little experience should be able to work it out, particularly with all these clues.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Bookies not paying out on 10:55 - Jan 5 with 1107 viewsDr_Parnassus

Bookies not paying out on 10:48 - Jan 5 by trampie

You said you was going to work it out and it's easy, even somebody like you with little experience should be able to work it out, particularly with all these clues.

Where did I say I was going to work it out?

I’m just laughing at your senseless and inconsistent story telling.

Bookies not paying out on 11:00 - Jan 5 with 1100 viewstrampie

Bookies not paying out on 09:49 - Jan 5 by STID2017

I have dabbled ( pennies really ) but not my cup of tea.
However when I have it has been online and taken advantage of free bets etc..
Came out on top, but generally a mugs game

Yes very true.

Bookies not paying out on 11:13 - Jan 5 with 1051 viewsDr_Parnassus

Login to get fewer ads

Bookies not paying out on 18:34 - Jan 5 with 957 viewstrampie

Same bookie again I'm reading refused to pay out on a bet where the punter went for the World cup final to be a 3-3 draw before penalities, apparently he got the shop worker to write on the betting slip before penalties, they took his money and then refused to pay out (as it was 2-2 after 90 mins) a newspaper got involved as he wanted 3-3 before pens, they eventually paid up.
They don't offer odds before pens but took his money, once they take somebody's money then that should be game on (like a shop once they've taken someone's money), the bookies want it all ways.

Bookies not paying out on 19:42 - Jan 5 with 918 viewsDr_Parnassus

Bookies not paying out on 18:34 - Jan 5 by trampie

Same bookie again I'm reading refused to pay out on a bet where the punter went for the World cup final to be a 3-3 draw before penalities, apparently he got the shop worker to write on the betting slip before penalties, they took his money and then refused to pay out (as it was 2-2 after 90 mins) a newspaper got involved as he wanted 3-3 before pens, they eventually paid up.
They don't offer odds before pens but took his money, once they take somebody's money then that should be game on (like a shop once they've taken someone's money), the bookies want it all ways.

Incorrect.

All bets are 90 mins unless otherwise stated. The odds written on the slip would have been for the normal time score.

These things aren’t difficult.

Bookies not paying out on 20:10 - Jan 5 with 893 viewstrampie

Bookies not paying out on 19:42 - Jan 5 by Dr_Parnassus

Incorrect.

All bets are 90 mins unless otherwise stated. The odds written on the slip would have been for the normal time score.

These things aren’t difficult.

I didn't say anything different.

The customer had them write on the betting slip before penalties and then they took his money.
Seems like they were shamed into paying him by the bad publicity in the paper after initially refusing.

Bookies not paying out on 20:33 - Jan 5 with 884 viewsDr_Parnassus

Bookies not paying out on 20:10 - Jan 5 by trampie

I didn't say anything different.

The customer had them write on the betting slip before penalties and then they took his money.
Seems like they were shamed into paying him by the bad publicity in the paper after initially refusing.

Doesn’t matter what is written on the slip as we have already discussed, the bet needs to comply with the rules and reflect the correct odds.

The people who work behind the counters don’t know every single sport and bet under the sun, they are simply there to process the clients bets for them through the machines - they trust the client knows what they are betting on and that the bet complies come time to collect.

If it doesn’t then that is squarely on the shoulders of the client.

Bookies not paying out on 20:44 - Jan 5 with 877 viewsraynor94

Bookies not paying out on 20:33 - Jan 5 by Dr_Parnassus

Doesn’t matter what is written on the slip as we have already discussed, the bet needs to comply with the rules and reflect the correct odds.

The people who work behind the counters don’t know every single sport and bet under the sun, they are simply there to process the clients bets for them through the machines - they trust the client knows what they are betting on and that the bet complies come time to collect.

If it doesn’t then that is squarely on the shoulders of the client.

Hard to argue with anything in that post

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Bookies not paying out on 21:12 - Jan 5 with 856 viewsSTID2017

Bookies not paying out on 20:44 - Jan 5 by raynor94

Hard to argue with anything in that post

Well surely in normal retail ( which this is ) the contract is between the purchaser (in this case the punter ) and the shop ( in this case the bookies.
If you go into a shop and you don't know what you are looking for but you give a description , then the guy behind the counter sells you something based on his (or her ) supposed superior knowledge and then it doesn't work/fit/whatever.
You take it back fully expecting the shop to accept responsibility.
Same as the bookies.
I have no knowledge of betting slips, but if I paid my money across the counter and the bet was accepted as written (whether by me or the person behind the counter) then seems to me we have a contract and i would expect it to be honoured ?
Applies to every other business - why not a bookies ?

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Bookies not paying out on 21:21 - Jan 5 with 845 viewsDr_Parnassus

Bookies not paying out on 21:12 - Jan 5 by STID2017

Well surely in normal retail ( which this is ) the contract is between the purchaser (in this case the punter ) and the shop ( in this case the bookies.
If you go into a shop and you don't know what you are looking for but you give a description , then the guy behind the counter sells you something based on his (or her ) supposed superior knowledge and then it doesn't work/fit/whatever.
Same as the bookies.
I have no knowledge of betting slips, but if I paid my money across the counter and the bet was accepted as written (whether by me or the person behind the counter) then seems to me we have a contract and i would expect it to be honoured ?

Because in normal retail you are buying physical things.

In a bookies you are simply betting on ideas, in order to make the clients life easier they allow them the autonomy to quickly get their bets on by writing them on bits of paper to be processed.

Without the above, each bet would take 30 mins + for the clerk to check that all is correct with it. It’s not feasible.

This isn’t and won’t be a loophole for clients to be able to get bets on that don’t exist or have 100x inflated odds.

If people want to continue using the bookies in their current convenient way then they have to accept that if the bets they write down don’t exist or comply with rules, then they won’t be valid upon collection.

The rules are easy to follow and not obscure in the slightest.

Bookies not paying out on 21:38 - Jan 5 with 833 viewsSTID2017

I buy lots of things weekly which are sold to me by bots.
Tickets, computer packages, subscriptions etc, etc.
None of which are purchases in the normal retail sense.
Yet if I am mis sold them or they are misrepresented by the seller (as in the case of this bet ) then I have the full protection of consumer law.
Is betting the only business not covered by consumer law ?
I would love to see this tried in the small claims court

Bookies not paying out on 21:47 - Jan 5 with 822 viewsDr_Parnassus

Bookies not paying out on 21:38 - Jan 5 by STID2017

I buy lots of things weekly which are sold to me by bots.
Tickets, computer packages, subscriptions etc, etc.
None of which are purchases in the normal retail sense.
Yet if I am mis sold them or they are misrepresented by the seller (as in the case of this bet ) then I have the full protection of consumer law.
Is betting the only business not covered by consumer law ?
I would love to see this tried in the small claims court

Doesn’t matter what/who they are sold by. You are buying physical things, that have a set price and a set vendor to client description.

I would liken it more to buying a t-shirt that allows the client to customise it. It says on the website that all text must comply with the rules set out… you process an order of a t-shirt full of profanities and then complain when the shop refunds your money upon collection.

The argument of “you initially took my money” doesn’t really stack up, and certainly doesn’t mean they then have to go against their rules and produce such a thing.

The idea you wanted to buy, is not possible to process.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2023 21:49]

Bookies not paying out on 18:46 - Jan 6 with 720 viewsSullutaCreturned

Bookies not paying out on 21:12 - Jan 5 by STID2017

Same as the bookies.

Yes it doe seem to be that the bookies work the opposite way to other business. The person behind the counter should know the rules, should know if they should refuse the bet. Maybe it's just a case of the bookies not training ther staff properly and why is that acceptable. In other businesses if the employee makes a mistake the business usually has to carry it, unless it is very blatantly obviously a mistake, like selling a 3.5k pc for 35 quid.

I also don't see a traditional bookie as being a more convenient option. Online I can lay a bet wherever there is internet (so not inside our stadium!) otherwise I'm stuck because the nearest shop is way too far off.

The T shirt analogy, the shop would refuse your order there and then and not take your money, surely? The bookie should do the same, no wonder so many of these bets get setlled out of "goodwill" when it's clearly not goodwill, just bad publicity, they know that ethically they are on dodgy ground.

Most people who lay a bet like that one will lose and the bookie will happily keep the money, they won't kook back and say it shouldn't have been placed because it broke our rules. All the bookie has done here is take their own gamble and lost so they should pay up.
Bookies not paying out on 21:52 - Jan 6 with 668 viewsDr_Parnassus

Bookies not paying out on 18:46 - Jan 6 by SullutaCreturned

Yes it doe seem to be that the bookies work the opposite way to other business. The person behind the counter should know the rules, should know if they should refuse the bet. Maybe it's just a case of the bookies not training ther staff properly and why is that acceptable. In other businesses if the employee makes a mistake the business usually has to carry it, unless it is very blatantly obviously a mistake, like selling a 3.5k pc for 35 quid.

I also don't see a traditional bookie as being a more convenient option. Online I can lay a bet wherever there is internet (so not inside our stadium!) otherwise I'm stuck because the nearest shop is way too far off.

The T shirt analogy, the shop would refuse your order there and then and not take your money, surely? The bookie should do the same, no wonder so many of these bets get setlled out of "goodwill" when it's clearly not goodwill, just bad publicity, they know that ethically they are on dodgy ground.

Most people who lay a bet like that one will lose and the bookie will happily keep the money, they won't kook back and say it shouldn't have been placed because it broke our rules. All the bookie has done here is take their own gamble and lost so they should pay up.

Not if the T-Shirt shop was the sort of high volume shop where thousands upon thousands of transactions happen per day, and you can write your idea on a bit of paper to be quickly processed for payment before being passed on to their design team.

it’s almost like a self service the whole “write on a bit of paper” thing at a bookies. It’s down to the client to know if they can bet on it I’m afraid. The rules are there, you just have to follow them.

If you find yourself unable to then my suggestion would be to place the bets online where a pre programmed automated system will be able to tell you of the bets are allowed.

There really is no comeback to what I’m saying, it’s literally how it is.

Selling a £35 item for £3500 is the same as giving 200-1 on something that should be 2-1 due to obvious relation between the legs.

Bookies not paying out on 22:21 - Jan 6 with 643 viewsSTID2017

Bookies not paying out on 18:46 - Jan 6 by SullutaCreturned

It is a scandal.
The rules regarding betting are ( although updated from the 150 year old rules ) still in favour of the bookies.
For example if a bookie advertised Man City to beat Swansea City at odds of 1000/1 and you bet on it, but then realised their mistake and said they meant to put 1/10 they are only obliged to pay you at the revised odds as it would be obvious they meant not to offer 1000/1.
Likewise if you bet on Piroe to score at 2/1, halftime score to be 2 -0 at 3/1 and full time to be 3 - 0 at 5/1 and put it all the same slip and it was likewise accepted across the counter, whilst expecting a tidy payout ( say you put £10 on each thing you may expect £480 back )
However you would only get back whatever the bookies deemed to be the correct payout for an accumulator.
Whilst there are ways of appealing to the company as well as through an independent arbitrators well as the small claims court, in most cases, they rule in favour of the bookies.
Ultimately betting is a mugs game and is (IMHO run by crook.
As in Las Vegas, the house invariably wins

Bookies not paying out on 22:33 - Jan 6 with 636 viewsDr_Parnassus

Bookies not paying out on 22:21 - Jan 6 by STID2017

It is a scandal.
The rules regarding betting are ( although updated from the 150 year old rules ) still in favour of the bookies.
For example if a bookie advertised Man City to beat Swansea City at odds of 1000/1 and you bet on it, but then realised their mistake and said they meant to put 1/10 they are only obliged to pay you at the revised odds as it would be obvious they meant not to offer 1000/1.
Likewise if you bet on Piroe to score at 2/1, halftime score to be 2 -0 at 3/1 and full time to be 3 - 0 at 5/1 and put it all the same slip and it was likewise accepted across the counter, whilst expecting a tidy payout ( say you put £10 on each thing you may expect £480 back )
However you would only get back whatever the bookies deemed to be the correct payout for an accumulator.
Whilst there are ways of appealing to the company as well as through an independent arbitrators well as the small claims court, in most cases, they rule in favour of the bookies.
Ultimately betting is a mugs game and is (IMHO run by crook.
As in Las Vegas, the house invariably wins

It’s not a scandal, scandal suggests wrong doing.

Of course if you bet on Man City to win 1000/1 when it should have been 1/10 then you were not going to get paid out. It’s called a “palpable error”.

But what you seem to be making the error with is the bet is not “accepted”, the bet is “processed” with these paper slips where you just wrote anything on them. That transaction is to log your bet in the system where your stake is held in limbo until collection.

The independent adjudicators of bookies simply apply the rules of the industry to the bet, there is no siding with anyone, it’s about siding with what complies.

If you place it online then your bet is automatically vetted for relations between the legs there and then, if you place it in a shop then it has no automatic process so the bet may very well be invalid if you haven’t looked at the rules as to what is deemed a related contingency bet.

As you say, you most certainly will not be able to back Piroe scoring first, 2-0 half time and 3-0 full time and have all their singles prices combined, it would be crazy to think you could. This will be either rejected upon placement if picked up, or rejected upon collection. Either way it gets rejected for obvious reasons.

Bookies not paying out on 23:31 - Jan 6 with 624 viewsJack123

Ha ha, I think of this, as a bit like that scene from Twin Town, Corals are Bryn Cartwright, and the Lewis twins are the punter.

'Hey Bryn, you got that 15 grand you owsss us'

'Do us a favour , take the £660 I'm so generously bunging you, buy a tube of sticky sticky, and ferk off back to Noddyland.

libera nos a malo

Bookies not paying out on 23:52 - Jan 6 with 618 viewsSTID2017

Bookies not paying out on 23:31 - Jan 6 by Jack123

Ha ha, I think of this, as a bit like that scene from Twin Town, Corals are Bryn Cartwright, and the Lewis twins are the punter.

'Hey Bryn, you got that 15 grand you owsss us'

'Do us a favour , take the £660 I'm so generously bunging you, buy a tube of sticky sticky, and ferk off back to Noddyland.

🤣🤣

Bookies not paying out on 00:18 - Jan 7 with 608 viewsJack123

Bookies not paying out on 23:52 - Jan 6 by STID2017

🤣🤣

I'll be honest with you, I don't like Corals. And I wish he really could win his case, but unfortunately, he hasn't got a leg too stand on.

The way I see it, that punter is skirmishing on the lines of fraud, he either is stupid, or did it intentionally..

libera nos a malo

Bookies not paying out on 00:30 - Jan 7 with 604 viewsSTID2017

Bookies not paying out on 00:18 - Jan 7 by Jack123

I'll be honest with you, I don't like Corals. And I wish he really could win his case, but unfortunately, he hasn't got a leg too stand on.

The way I see it, that punter is skirmishing on the lines of fraud, he either is stupid, or did it intentionally..

Having read up a bit on the rules, I understand a little bit more about what is acceptable and what isn't.
I think as Dr P advises, if like me you are a novice punter, then stick to online betting, where it seems impossible to fall foul of the rules, as it tells you what is acceptable and what you can expect back for your stake, should you win.
A more experienced punter, as you suggest, probably has a better working knowledge of what is acceptable and what is not, and may well have been trying it on ? So it is borderline fraud.
The best thing to do IMHO is keep your money in your pocket, as the odds are always stacked in favour of the house, bookmakers or whoever

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024