Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation 09:29 - Nov 8 with 10034 viewsZut_Alors

Not sure about anyone else, but I think this needs to be made loud and clear to those in charge. The Premier League journey was always likely to end at some point, but to do so playing such dreadful football is just depressing. We have become just another club.

I expected us to go straight back down when we first came into the league. Despite losing 4-0 to Man City on the opening day, we were still playing good stuff and I enjoyed that game in the same way I enjoyed the promotion season before it. The premier league is not intrinsic to our enjoyment of the game and I valued the playing identity and style over the league we are in.

With that in mind, I would give BB more time to see if he has plans to put some sort of cohesive tactical plan in place — because I can't see anything resembling a style at the moment. If there's no improvement, we need to make a decision because surely it's better to get back the style before all remnants of it are removed.
Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 16:35 - Nov 8 with 2105 viewsicecoldjack

I think it's clear to most the best pair is amat and the hoon.

Only Bradley struggles to see it. Manson is woeful positionally , he is a prospect not a prem player just yet IMO.
He got lucky playing against a poor Watford team and got reality against stoke and man iutd s. 6 goals later..
Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 17:33 - Nov 8 with 2045 viewsskippyjack

The way we used to play?..

keep the ball at all costs, and when in certain positions on the pitch, punish your opponent.

Laudrup liked energy in the middle of the park.. using JDG as a fulcrum of our play, working in tandem with Michu.. and with JDG, Michu and Hernandez away from home.. our counter attacking style was dangerous (might not have always worked, but when it did, breath taking).

Now, we are completely different..

Fabianski isn't the greatest at distribution.
We are stuck with two untested CBs.
A youngster at Left Back
Naughton who is the most laid back footballer I have seen.
Rangel who can't run anymore
Taylor who is going backwards as he gets older
Ki who has lost the ability to keep possession
Britton who can't run anymore
Cork who's distribution isn't the greatest
Fer is the 2nd most laid back footballer I have seen.
Routledge who is going backwards
Barrow an inexperienced winger
Montero who can't seem to grasp the concept of team shape.
Siggy who has been woeful this season.
Llorente who has always been an awkward target man
Baston who has never been the greatest technical player I have seen.
Dyer has disappeared.
Fernandez is woeful at distribution.
Amat who was a work in progress, being shafted by managers that are hindering his progress.

If we want to progress and play a possession based game..

Fabianski needs replacing.
Naughton needs replacing
Taylor needs replacing
Fernandez needs replacing
Rangel needs replacing
Britton needs replacing
Fer needs replacing
Cork needs replacing
Montero needs replacing
Routledge needs replacing
Llorente needs replacing

Mawson
Kingsley
Van Der Hoorn
Amat
Ki
Siggy
Barrow
Baston
Possibly Dyer

have the potential to progress and mould the Swansea way back.. but the Championship looks like the only destination they can learn this particular craft.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2016 17:39]

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 18:10 - Nov 8 with 2021 viewsKilkennyjack

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 10:44 - Nov 8 by DafyddHuw

OP - we lost our playing identity when Monk took over. Nowt to do with the Yanks.

Going down will be a better chance of rediscovering it than trying to limp along in 17th place.

I agree Monk destroyed our style.
Trying to be a clever tw@t.

Beware of the Risen People

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 00:33 - Nov 9 with 1950 viewsjasper_T

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 18:10 - Nov 8 by Kilkennyjack

He definitely had help from Huw.
(No subject) (n/t) on 10:13 - Nov 9 with 1929 viewsZut_Alors

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 18:10 - Nov 8 by Kilkennyjack

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 14:14 - Nov 9 with 1887 viewskarnataka

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 17:33 - Nov 8 by skippyjack

keep the ball at all costs, and when in certain positions on the pitch, punish your opponent.

Laudrup liked energy in the middle of the park.. using JDG as a fulcrum of our play, working in tandem with Michu.. and with JDG, Michu and Hernandez away from home.. our counter attacking style was dangerous (might not have always worked, but when it did, breath taking).

A youngster at Left Back
Dyer has disappeared.
Amat who was a work in progress, being shafted by managers that are hindering his progress.

Naughton needs replacing
Taylor needs replacing
Rangel needs replacing
Britton needs replacing
Fer needs replacing
Cork needs replacing
Montero needs replacing
Llorente needs replacing

Mawson
Kingsley
Van Der Hoorn
Amat
Ki
Siggy
Barrow
Baston
Possibly Dyer

have the potential to progress and mould the Swansea way back.. but the Championship looks like the only destination they can learn this particular craft.

I wouldn't disagree with your assessment of our players on the whole but it's not easy to replace that many players.

What would certainly help for now, would be the appointment of a manager renowned for playing a possession/passing style, knows how to set a team up to do it and can get the players doing it. When Curt took over from Monk towards the end of last year, we recaptured some of that style within just a few days in the next game against Man City so it can be done. At the moment, I don't see us as having a manager known for playing that sort of football, who doesn't appear to know how it's done and who doesn't appear to be able to convey much of anything to the players.

If that's the way we want to shape our future (and I'm all for it), start now by getting the right manager in and give him time to do it.
Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 14:32 - Nov 9 with 1863 viewsLeonWasGod

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 17:33 - Nov 8 by skippyjack

A youngster at Left Back
Dyer has disappeared.

Naughton needs replacing
Taylor needs replacing
Rangel needs replacing
Britton needs replacing
Fer needs replacing
Cork needs replacing
Montero needs replacing
Llorente needs replacing

Mawson
Kingsley
Van Der Hoorn
Amat
Ki
Siggy
Barrow
Baston
Possibly Dyer

One of your better lists Skip. Don't quite agree on all, but that's not far off if we want to get back to the 'possession with penetration' style of Brenda. We would also need a new manager.
Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 15:21 - Nov 9 with 1841 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Sorry, sod the style, stay up playing any kind of football that makes it possible and then build in the style next year.
We will have had 2 transfer markets by then and if the Yanks really want to make a success of the club they will spend.
Login to get fewer ads

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 15:25 - Nov 9 with 1836 viewsjack247

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 15:21 - Nov 9 by A_Fans_Dad

Sorry, sod the style, stay up playing any kind of football that makes it possible and then build in the style next year.
We will have had 2 transfer markets by then and if the Yanks really want to make a success of the club they will spend.

Agree with that. It will be harder to get back up than to re-establish a playing style.
Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 16:17 - Nov 9 with 1820 viewsCorktastic

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 09:40 - Nov 8 by PatchesOHoulihan

Yeah I feel similar - although been shot down by a few on here telling me they think I'm wrong. I honestly don't mind what division we are in. I'love keep going home and a few away. Was nice to St to the prem. it not the be all and end all. Just want to enjoy what I'm paying for again.

I just want to go to a match and enjoy the game! That has not happened for a while.
Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 16:46 - Nov 9 with 1800 viewsPrivate_Partz

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 15:21 - Nov 9 by A_Fans_Dad

Yeh I agree with that. Our status is far too important to lose without a fight.
I can't believe some of the defeatist talk on here.
Don't get me wrong, we are right in it, however we need to fight with every means possible. Much of it will be relatively ineffective but it can generate bad press for the Yanks if it is done loudly and aggressively enough. The media will pick up on it. Also I still urge everyone to JOIN THE TRUST. It is here the main fight will be fought for our club. Even if the present incumbents prove to be ineffective ( i dont think they will btw) others can stand in their place to carry the agenda forward.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2016 16:50]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 17:09 - Nov 9 with 1774 viewspembsjack

Agree that any style that keeps us up this year is the right style, but I dont think Bob has any tactics that will do that.
Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 19:41 - Nov 9 with 1704 viewssherpajacob

Since we've been in PL we've had very good results, with no threat of relegation, when playing our possession tika taka swanselona style.

when we've played a more direct, British style, our results have been terrible with relegation looking nailed on.

Which style should we use for the rest of the season?

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 20:06 - Nov 9 with 1689 viewsmaes

one of the best things ive heard said on this forum....i would like that too, I would happily go back down sticking with the principles we came up with ...

but like this is torture...

i would rather us makes hundreds of passes , have 60/70 percent possession and get beat 3 - nil very match

but like this is horrible...
Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 20:49 - Nov 9 with 1662 viewsjack247

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 19:41 - Nov 9 by sherpajacob

Since we've been in PL we've had very good results, with no threat of relegation, when playing our possession tika taka swanselona style.

when we've played a more direct, British style, our results have been terrible with relegation looking nailed on.

Which style should we use for the rest of the season?

Direct. Only because we don't have the players for swanselona anymore. If we manage to stay up, I'd love to see us transition back to that way of playing. Don't think it's feasible without a major revamp of the playing squad though.
Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 20:55 - Nov 9 with 1596 viewsDarran

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 16:35 - Nov 8 by icecoldjack

Only Bradley struggles to see it. Manson is woeful positionally , he is a prospect not a prem player just yet IMO.
He got lucky playing against a poor Watford team and got reality against stoke and man iutd s. 6 goals later..

He knew where Helter Skelter was anyway.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 21:10 - Nov 9 with 1587 viewsFearOfAJackPlanet

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 16:35 - Nov 8 by icecoldjack

And 'the hoon' wasn't playing in those games was he so he's clearly exonerated fro....

oh, hang on.

Enjoying the next level
Poll: Have you ever seen Swansea City relegated before?

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 22:00 - Nov 9 with 1565 viewssherpajacob

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 20:49 - Nov 9 by jack247

Direct. Only because we don't have the players for swanselona anymore. If we manage to stay up, I'd love to see us transition back to that way of playing. Don't think it's feasible without a major revamp of the playing squad though.

If we could play swanselona style with Jazz, Danny Graham, Luke Moore, gower, lita, a younger Taylor, amongst others I see no reason why our current squad can't play it.

If we play direct we will definitely go down this season.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 23:01 - Nov 9 with 1533 viewsEbo

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 10:02 - Nov 8 by BytholWyn

Can you find that clip - because I can't. I desperately need to be reminded of how we once used to play - because it feels like an eternity ago.

This is it

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 23:10 - Nov 9 with 1525 viewsPurple_Badger

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 14:38 - Nov 8 by monmouth

Amat - VDH has been our best partnership, and it looked like it was 'jellying'. The current pair could easily have been part of a team that conceded 10 in two games.

Oh, and case no one else thinks to say it today. Just f**k off Bradley, you jerk.

Jellying? As in wobbly? Sounds about right.

Not one of the centre halfs at the club is PL standard.
Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 07:20 - Nov 10 with 1486 viewsjack247

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 22:00 - Nov 9 by sherpajacob

If we could play swanselona style with Jazz, Danny Graham, Luke Moore, gower, lita, a younger Taylor, amongst others I see no reason why our current squad can't play it.

If we play direct we will definitely go down this season.

Jazz hardly ever played
Only one of Graham, Moore, Lita ever played at a time and Graham was well suited to it.
Gower was perfectly suited to it.

It's not about perceived abilities, it's about how they fit a particular style.
Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 09:23 - Nov 10 with 1457 viewsjasper_T

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 20:49 - Nov 9 by jack247

Add 3 or 4 players suited to that style to this team and it would do a fine impression of it.

Which is still a major revamp.
Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 10:45 - Nov 10 with 1438 viewsjack247

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 09:23 - Nov 10 by jasper_T

Add 3 or 4 players suited to that style to this team and it would do a fine impression of it.

Which is still a major revamp.

Rip the spine out and replace them with Swanselona type players and I'd completely agree with you. I'd much rather us play that way, as I guess would everyone else. It's not happening with our current squad though.
Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 11:59 - Nov 10 with 1427 viewsKGriz16

i can't believe how desperate some posters are on here to want managers like Allardyce and Curbishly. We're forever moving more and more away from the football that got us to where we are today. I would happily go back down a league if it meant getting back the football us Jack's crave.

Not getting Joe back or Brendan here during the Summer spoke volumes to me. It's by any means neccesary now to stay in the PL for some fans as well as the board etc. We're slowly getting in line with other premier league clubs chopping and changing managers every three months, board members lining pockets with money, asset stripping, etc. It's really sad to see. The more and more I come onto this forum, the more I find myself getting angrier at what's going on around this football club. And for what? The sake of another season in the Premier League when tickets for big four games disappear to local arsenal fans, and tickets like Crystal Palace don't sell and another season of being fine with just surviving. There's always going to be a glass ceiling for clubs like the Swans in the Premier League, but for the sake of losing everything we have worked for the past 10+ years, the clubs identity, playing style etc I will happily go back down and start again. The club's a mess and it's depressing.

This isn't my local team anymore. Swansea City AFC feels more and more foreign by the week.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2016 12:07]
Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 12:28 - Nov 10 with 1402 viewsjasper_T

A full-back who isn't awful, a wide player in the Pablo Hernandez mould (minus injury problems) and a Joey Allen and we'd be capable of playing decent (if a little limited) pass-and-move stuff again.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024