Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPR, Redknapp, The Future 19:03 - Dec 10 with 7785 viewsAntti_Heinola

So, another mini rant after my one about Niko the other week which caused some mild debate, where I found most people agreed with me.

I've been thinking a lot about this season and it feels very weird. There's been a lot of comment about the good strong start, the strong defence, the change in attitude, which then morphed into concerns about negative play and the basically dead atmosphere at LR each week.

And I'm worried. I'm obviously pleased with where we are, but I can't say I'm delighted. I certainly don't have that giddy feeling I had with Olly's promotion squad in 2003/4 or Warnock's excellent team of 3 years ago. This partly because I think we're so detached from the players because they're virtually all new, partly a bit of my love for the club died a bit with last season's shambles, and partly, as Clive said so eloquently in his match report from Saturday, that I'm frankly bored at most games. Pleased with results, but bored at the games. A strange feeling.

A personal opinion is that we will almost definitely win promotion. That's not arrogance, it's just that we're not far off halfway through the season and I have yet to see a single team that scares me or should scare Redknapp or the squad. But it fills me with no excitement. I have no great wish to be in the Prem and on top of that I don't really feel like it would be the great achievement it was 3 years ago, where we went from relegation candidates to champions within a year. We can talk about how Redknapp has turned the club around, but personally I think most half-decent managers given the resources he had would be performing in a similar way.

This campaign reminds me of Birmingham under McLeish in this league a few years back - dull, but better than most other teams. I was thinking today how I'll feel should we get promoted and I honestly can't imagine going crazy like I did at that Oldham game, or when we beat Shearer's Blackburn 1-0 in 1992 and I started thinking we were title contenders, or when Adel stole us a point in a 2-2 draw at Cardiff. Because at the moment I feel a bit numb at games. I would think this was just me, but the atmosphere at games tells me I'm not alone.

Of course, I'm grateful to Beard and Fernandes. I think they've turned things around and are making good decisions and are here for the long haul and I do trust them. I don't blame them too much for what happened 18 months ago with Hughes. They picked an experienced manager, trusted him, and he failed, badly. They listened to a 'football person' - what else were they supposed to do? And of course I'm pleased we're second in the league and have only lost 2 games. But... but...

As I've said before on here, winning isn't everything to me in football. I go for a release, for fun, for entertainment. I'm desperate to win, believe me, but I want to see decent football first and foremost.

I'm not a fan of Redknapp the person, but I do think he's a decent, if overrated, manager. But I am struggling to understand why he has so far failed to get more out of this squad. Bournemouth, to me, papered over the cracks. It wasn't significantly better than any other performance and not even too dissimilar to the Blackburn performance, which has been panned in most quarters.

I know we have had injuries (all clubs have injuries), but we also have, I believem by far the best squad in this division. Why has he still not found a way to make this lot play some exciting, attacking football? The midfield is still in a state of flux. He's struggling to include AJ, even though clearly he and Austin have a good understanding. Why, with all the advantages he's been given, are we still saying 'he needs time', 'they need time to gel'. No one gave Hughes that courtesy. And Warnock had the team playing attacking football in a shorter timespan. Warnock developed a system, put the players in to suit it, stuck with it. Players got injured, but other players came in and replaced them and did the job. Why is Redknapp still struggling with this?

All of this is tied up in our transfer policy, which to my mind has not significantly changed since the debacle of summer 2012. We're still signing old players. We're still mainly looking at big name players. We're still looking short term. None of these players, except Karl Henry (£1m?) are bad signings in isolation, but together they are making a storm that wqe will have to weather again next summer because of a lack of forward planning. Why are we signing Yossi? Why don't we wait a month and buy a younger player who might grow into the team and be useful were we to go up next season. Build the team like that? Again, I like Yossi and think he's a good player, but the thinking is short term.

For those that argue 'if he's the difference and we go up, who cares?' I say, firstly, we're top without him, so why do we need him? And secondly, look at the bigger picture. He's 33, and only played 40 odd games in 4 years. How is this a sensible signing? How is this different to Bosingwa? Or Park? Again, he may well be good for us for a few months, but then we'll have to replace him anyway. It's all short term and the way we're going we'll have exactly the same problems in the prem that we had last time - no continuity, no team spirit, a brand new team.

I know I sound ungrateful and boring, but this is how I feel. Are others worried too? Or is this just me?

Bare bones.

QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 11:42 - Dec 11 with 1416 viewsNW5Hoop

QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 21:15 - Dec 10 by Rolfsson_Sweden

If we wouldn't have gotten the players that we do, we would all probably be writing just another thread about the working rate of Jamie Mackie. How many seasons Shaun Derry has left, etc etc.

At some point, if a club wants to take a big step, they have to change what's the most important thing looking at the results, which is the squad. Of course(!) they won't love the club like its their everything from day one, that would just be a lie. Just imagine the pressure that's on there guys. Clint Hill is the captain of a team that's above favorites to win promotion. Joey Barton har grown to become a man that we all love, and who thought that just 365 days from now. Danny Simpson, Richard Dunne and Assou-Ekotto are three pure professionals, they play at a level that none of us have seen in QPR for decades. We have a loal deal for Spurs most promising player, and the year before that we transformed Andros Townsend to one of the best wingers in the game. Then there's Niko, Hoilett, Phillips, Gary O'Neal. Players that can plan in at least half the starting elevens in the Premier Leauge. Charlie Austin, i'm sure we all know everything about him and sure he's a good player.

Redknapp is basically the first manager that pretty much agrees with everything that we all at home think, not to drop too many chichés. He knows that even though Jamie Mackie and for example Anton Ferdinand seem to love that club and all that, they're just not good enough to get the club where they want to be.

What I' m trying to say is that we have without a doubt the best team in the league, and I'm sure that our players know that as well. They see this season as a warm up to where the real work begins, which is in the Premier League. Until then, we'll have to accept that we have a team that's playing with pressure on their shoulders and where every victory is just another day at work, since they are the best and they know it. Of course they love the club and are doing everything in their powers to win promotion, otherwise they would have been somewhere else. We're talking about big names in the sport, and not just some retired random thats coming to earn money - like last year, or two years ago.

I rather have a Niko Kranjcar playing good football, a Richard Dunne that clears every ball and a Charlie Austin.
We're doing extremely good so far this season, being the favorites going into every game we've been playing so far. I'm sure these guys soon, not if but when, we're scoring more goals and maybe are few point ahead of our competitors, will show some Jamie Mackie like acts.

But for now, I'm happy with the "boring" QPR, if that's what it takes to get ut up there...

Sorry for the novel, guys.

Joey Barton has NOT grown to be a man we all love. There are plenty of us who appreciate his performances this season, but will never love him because of the appalling way he behaved at Man City, and the appalling way he talked about the club before his return.
QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 11:50 - Dec 11 with 1412 viewsisawqpratwcity

QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 11:42 - Dec 11 by NW5Hoop

Joey Barton has NOT grown to be a man we all love. There are plenty of us who appreciate his performances this season, but will never love him because of the appalling way he behaved at Man City, and the appalling way he talked about the club before his return.

And he rubs your nose in it every game.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 12:02 - Dec 11 with 1389 viewsNW5Hoop

QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 11:50 - Dec 11 by isawqpratwcity

And he rubs your nose in it every game.

No he doesn't. I'm pleased he's playing well. But I'll never love him. And I'm not alone.
QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 12:14 - Dec 11 with 1376 viewsisawqpratwcity

QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 12:02 - Dec 11 by NW5Hoop

No he doesn't. I'm pleased he's playing well. But I'll never love him. And I'm not alone.

You're probably right. But how many seriously think that JB is anything other than a critical part of the team?

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 12:15 - Dec 11 with 1376 viewsozranger

Like others I have enjoyed reading this thread as it is so much different than many others. However, as Dave says, there is some confusion in many minds. I agree, but in this thread we actually have two threads, though somewhat related.

The first thread is discussing the present and if this team is boring and actually good enough, and I think the original post is more about that. The second thread relates to the future and what will happen, or do we want to happen (i.e., should we promote or not).

While I was never a Harry fan, I will admit he is both planning for the present and the future. One question that has to come to mind is that if we do promote, how many of the current team will be part of next season's BPL team? Actually, on a side, how many of our loan players will come back to be part of it as well - I am thinking Remy here?

I also remember asking myself, why are the top teams consistently doing well, other than the fact that they have bought the best players. One significant reason is that they have a settled squad. These clubs will buy only one or two players to bolster the squad, that is one or two who are expected to play day in and day out, not the extra squad players who may get a game in the Cup matches. Those clubs that have promoted and done well also had a pretty settled squad come the Premier League and only added a few players. We have learnt our lesson, hopefully, and it is important that we too are in a position to add just a few extras to compete and then build on that year after year by adding one or two more players. The more settled the better.

So, I return to Harry's purchases. Are they for the sake of the present or the future, or both? I am hoping that it is both.
QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 12:20 - Dec 11 with 1371 viewsadhoc_qpr

I do think the current 'meh' attitude caused by our lacklustre but solid performances is partially due to the fear of getting promoted and having to go through another season like last!

This team is grinding out results and could well get promoted, but we've seen that not scoring goals in the Prem is lethal and Championship defences don't fare well.

Look at Sunderland recently, they actually played really well against Spurs, Villa and Chelsea but lack of goals, slow defenders making mistakes (OGs from O'Shea and Bardsley etc) and a bit of bad luck (penalties not given) and they are rock bottom and heading for relegation.
QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 12:33 - Dec 11 with 1360 viewsNW5Hoop

QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 12:15 - Dec 11 by ozranger

Like others I have enjoyed reading this thread as it is so much different than many others. However, as Dave says, there is some confusion in many minds. I agree, but in this thread we actually have two threads, though somewhat related.

The first thread is discussing the present and if this team is boring and actually good enough, and I think the original post is more about that. The second thread relates to the future and what will happen, or do we want to happen (i.e., should we promote or not).

While I was never a Harry fan, I will admit he is both planning for the present and the future. One question that has to come to mind is that if we do promote, how many of the current team will be part of next season's BPL team? Actually, on a side, how many of our loan players will come back to be part of it as well - I am thinking Remy here?

I also remember asking myself, why are the top teams consistently doing well, other than the fact that they have bought the best players. One significant reason is that they have a settled squad. These clubs will buy only one or two players to bolster the squad, that is one or two who are expected to play day in and day out, not the extra squad players who may get a game in the Cup matches. Those clubs that have promoted and done well also had a pretty settled squad come the Premier League and only added a few players. We have learnt our lesson, hopefully, and it is important that we too are in a position to add just a few extras to compete and then build on that year after year by adding one or two more players. The more settled the better.

So, I return to Harry's purchases. Are they for the sake of the present or the future, or both? I am hoping that it is both.

Honestly, I can't see any of the loanees returning, unless it's because no one else wants them.

I've forgotten now how many are actually out on loan. Did we manage to sell any of the "star" signings, or are they all due to come back?
QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 12:46 - Dec 11 with 1347 viewsdaveB

QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 12:14 - Dec 11 by isawqpratwcity

You're probably right. But how many seriously think that JB is anything other than a critical part of the team?

He is a critical part of the team but he's also someone who admitted he only came for the money, did everything he could to leave the club other than take a pay cut and has ended up staying due to no other options. I am glad he is doing so well and he'll probably win player of the year but I still find it hard to love him.
Login to get fewer ads

QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 12:48 - Dec 11 with 1343 viewsdaveB

QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 12:15 - Dec 11 by ozranger

for me he is signing for both. Most of his signings will be quite comfortable stepping upto the Prem imo
QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 13:17 - Dec 11 with 1315 viewsgjc104

I think I am on the side of not being sure if I want to re live the Permier League experience again.

I want to see good football and be entertained and havent seen much of that so far, maybe 45 mins v Boro and the odd 10 minute spell here and there.
We travel to every game home and away from Stoke on Trent and it feels like it is becoming part of a routine, a chore almost, rather than the pleasure and excitement it should be.

Maybe I am just being greedy, last season, all I wanted was to win a game and didnt care about how we played or what bad luck we had etc etc

So, like most football fans, Im a fickle walking contradiction!!
QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 13:33 - Dec 11 with 1290 viewsNW5Hoop

QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 12:48 - Dec 11 by daveB

for me he is signing for both. Most of his signings will be quite comfortable stepping upto the Prem imo

Hmmm. I look at the team and worry that it's too good for the Championship but not good enough for the Premier League, especially through central defence and centre mid.
QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 13:42 - Dec 11 with 1276 viewsPinnerPaul

QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 12:46 - Dec 11 by daveB

He is a critical part of the team but he's also someone who admitted he only came for the money, did everything he could to leave the club other than take a pay cut and has ended up staying due to no other options. I am glad he is doing so well and he'll probably win player of the year but I still find it hard to love him.

but Dave, they all come only for the money!
QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 14:04 - Dec 11 with 1260 viewsWestminsteRs

QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 21:04 - Dec 10 by N12Hoop

8 points from the next 5 games will put us in exactly the same position we were at in our promotion year at the same point. Just without the enjoyment. And with the knowledge that if we go up it isn't going to be fun looking at 0-0s as victories and just hoping not to be humiliated on a regular basis. Therein is our problem. That last time we got promoted it was exciting not knowing what awaited. This time most of us aren't looking forward to it because we know what awaits and the prospect of another complete team build is not one to relish.

QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 16:13 - Dec 11 with 1200 viewsdaveB

QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 13:42 - Dec 11 by PinnerPaul

but Dave, they all come only for the money!

of course they did but he was quite open about it and was quite open about it being a massive mistake to come to us. I've nothing really against the bloke I just haven't joined in the love in with him yet. I do find it odd that he has been forgiven so much but others get tons of abuse for doing far less
QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 16:20 - Dec 11 with 1194 viewsPinnerPaul

QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 16:13 - Dec 11 by daveB

of course they did but he was quite open about it and was quite open about it being a massive mistake to come to us. I've nothing really against the bloke I just haven't joined in the love in with him yet. I do find it odd that he has been forgiven so much but others get tons of abuse for doing far less

As far as the money is concerned I quite like the fact he was open about it - better than all this guff about being excited by the "challenge" or the even more risible "Once QPR came in there was only one place I was going to go"

YB's "looking forward to the Championship" was ridiculous as well.
QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 17:11 - Dec 11 with 1147 viewsdaveB

QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 16:20 - Dec 11 by PinnerPaul

As far as the money is concerned I quite like the fact he was open about it - better than all this guff about being excited by the "challenge" or the even more risible "Once QPR came in there was only one place I was going to go"

YB's "looking forward to the Championship" was ridiculous as well.

honesty is fine but he had just spent a year saying he never moved for money and it was all about the challenge then when it went tits up he said it was all about money so it was only really honesty when he thought he had no chance of ever coming back to us
QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 17:29 - Dec 11 with 1132 viewsted_hendrix

QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 12:46 - Dec 11 by daveB

If you find it hard to love him Dave then don't, JB is what he is and when he got sent off at the Etihad that day I could have gladly shot the bastard.
He hasn't turned any corners or suddenly become the messiah, what he has done though he's behaved himself on the pitch under extreme provocation at times this season, I know sweet FA about twitter but it seems to me that he's reigned himself in on there as well. In my book credit should be given when its due like the bloke or not.

He's doing just about everything we would have asked of him this season and long may it continue.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 17:30 - Dec 11 with 1130 viewsW7Ranger

I don't think the first season back in the Prem was all that bad to be honest. Most fans said at the start of the season they'ed have been happy with 17th, and that's what we got! And boy did we go about it the scenic route!!

Remember we had a decent start. Got 3 away wins at Wolves, Stoke & Everton, coupled with turning over Chelsea at home. Think we were 9th at one point! Don't think many people were moaning about how sh!t the Prem was then.

But then the middle part of that season was shocking for us results wise, but that 5 game winning streak (Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, Swansea & Stoke) at home to secure our survival was VERY FUKKING exciting! I thought so anyway! I would like to hear from anyone who wasn't buzzing after these AND pretty damn good performances!! And we played a MAJOR part in contributing to the best ever finish to a Premier League season!

Last season was a disaster. Started off terribly and never really got any better apart from a brief period between Jan and March where we looked like we MIGHT just pull it off. But we were always playing catch up. Poor management and generally poor signings by Hughes and Co. ruined last season. And I think we'd have to go some to match that! Quite simply, Chelsea away apart, last season was a shocker!

I think TF has learned A LOT from last season, and I think if/when we do go up, we will be much better prepared and hopefully have a steady mid-table to lower half finish season with a few nice wins chucked in along the way. And I bet the majority of us will enjoy it! Or certainly be happy with a consolidated first season back anyway!
QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 18:27 - Dec 11 with 1111 viewsAntti_Heinola

QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 12:48 - Dec 11 by daveB

Wish I had your confidence, dave. Harry's signings:

Samba - Failure, although you can hardly blame Redknapp, and it wasn't too costly.
Remy - Success, but he won't play for us again.
Jenas - Failure, not good enough for the Prem, not good enough for the championship.
Townsend - Success. But won't be playing for us any time soon.
O'Neil - Decent enough, but hardly going to warrant a regular Prem spot.
Henry - Was never going to be good enough. Wouldn't call him a failure, but a poor, unnecessary signing for a lot of money.
Krancjar - Would be surprised if he is able to compete at Prem level. Just doesn't have the mobility. Would be surprised if we signed him.
Phillips - Like him, think there's more to come, but at the moment wouldn't hurt too many Prem teams. Think he is a good long term signing though.
Austin - Success, good enough to score 10-12 goals at the next level.
BAE - Success, if we could buy him great, suspect we won't be able to.
Simpson - Success and good enough for the Prem.
Dunne - People rave, but I suspect another breakdown is not far away, and also suspect that unless we sign a very good, fast central defender, he won't be much use beyond a squad member in the Prem. Like him, done a great job, but would have preferred a longer term bet.
Onyewu - never seen him, not good enough for Prem.
Tom Thumb - Good player, plenty more to come, doubt it'll be with us.

So, I'm really not sure. If we went up, we'd need two centre backs, two left backs, three central midfielders, at least one winger and two, possibly three strikers. It's the same scenario as every other bloody summer recently. even if we stay down we'd actually need a lot of new players because so many will be moving on. It's a constant state of flux. Not exactly sure how we're planning for anything beyond May. But we'll see!

Bare bones.

QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 18:44 - Dec 11 with 1100 viewsNW5Hoop

QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 17:29 - Dec 11 by ted_hendrix

If you find it hard to love him Dave then don't, JB is what he is and when he got sent off at the Etihad that day I could have gladly shot the bastard.
He hasn't turned any corners or suddenly become the messiah, what he has done though he's behaved himself on the pitch under extreme provocation at times this season, I know sweet FA about twitter but it seems to me that he's reigned himself in on there as well. In my book credit should be given when its due like the bloke or not.

He's doing just about everything we would have asked of him this season and long may it continue.

You didn't see him going on about Giggs on Twitter the other day then?
QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 19:24 - Dec 11 with 1075 viewsstansleftfoot

Redknapp was easily the most suitable candidate to take an easily relegated QPR side into the Championship. He was as responsible as Hughes for the dreadful results that took the club down. I'd suggest the signings of Remy and Samba where as much down to Beard and TF, the players agents as Redknapp's.
He's not a cheap option and has clearly got a massive contract to prevent the Club going down again and to do it without spending a fortune on signings, short term high value contracts are OK, but long term contracts not, unless there's some potential and some value; matty phillips for example.
But something happened, the big clear out and some sensible signings left the club with a first team that when set up properly didn't leak goals but could also win a game.
Harry gives us hope and Xmas comes round with a very good chance of going up.
The test for Tony Fernandes and Phillip Beard is when/if, QPR go up at the end of this season will he let Harry Redknapp go?
I'm in the camp that says do not renew his contract. They should be prepared to look for a young coach and a director of football to help Beard build the youth team set up and begin to lose the buying culture that Hughes, Redknapp have created at the club. Agents see us as mugs and will squeeze every penny out of us, the club needs to remain in control of the buying process from now on.
As for entertainment and the modern game, QPR has been blessed with some of the finest, most skillful and intelligent players of the last forty years, Venables used them in one way, Jago, Sexton, Stock in others, all with different results.
Arsenal and Wengre don't win thing, rarely score with a header, they play in front of a silent and moribund group of fans, and yet he's the most respected manager currently operating by those in the know ( media, fan's don't know apparently )
QPR need stability, a grade one academy, a new ground/stadium, a professional director of football and a brave and innovative coach.....and promotion. Harry could bring us that but he cannot deliver the rest.
Whether he takes us up or not Harry should go and the lessons that TF and PB have learnt should be put into place for the long term.
QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 19:36 - Dec 11 with 1066 viewsderbyhoop

Redknapp rebuilt the first team squad in the Summer. It was badly needed and the result has been a reasonably well balanced squad in harmony with each other.
The aim for this season has to be t bounce straight back.
To that end Redknapp has brought in trusted performers and good characters. He was unlikely to do that with a bunch of kids.
Almost everybody thinks we have the best squad in the Championship.
We've been consistently better than most sides we have come up against and I don't see that changing much.
Are they good enough to go up? DEFINITELY
Will they be good enough for the Premier League? Unlikely. I cannot see many players that are likely to be good enough.
What we will need for the PL is a younger, quicker side without losing the harmony or character. When we haven't played well, I put it down to too many players at the wrong end of their careers, who cannot up the tempo. In the PL those issues will be magnified.

Let's get up, first, and re-assess when we know where we will be playing next year. Some of that planning could start in January. It will have to happen before this season ends

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 19:55 - Dec 11 with 1047 viewsstansleftfoot

QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 19:36 - Dec 11 by derbyhoop

Redknapp rebuilt the first team squad in the Summer. It was badly needed and the result has been a reasonably well balanced squad in harmony with each other.
The aim for this season has to be t bounce straight back.
To that end Redknapp has brought in trusted performers and good characters. He was unlikely to do that with a bunch of kids.
Almost everybody thinks we have the best squad in the Championship.
We've been consistently better than most sides we have come up against and I don't see that changing much.
Are they good enough to go up? DEFINITELY
Will they be good enough for the Premier League? Unlikely. I cannot see many players that are likely to be good enough.
What we will need for the PL is a younger, quicker side without losing the harmony or character. When we haven't played well, I put it down to too many players at the wrong end of their careers, who cannot up the tempo. In the PL those issues will be magnified.

Let's get up, first, and re-assess when we know where we will be playing next year. Some of that planning could start in January. It will have to happen before this season ends

Exactly, it's a long way to go yet, HR was the ideal candidate to rip out the dead weeds and replace them with low cost temporary players, whilst also snapping up Phillips and getting Richard Dunne back onto the pitch...getting Robert Green going again....drawing Barton back into the fold...all good work....he's here 'til the end of 2014/2015 season so we seem to have got the next stages planned out regardless.
QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 20:19 - Dec 11 with 1034 viewsNorthernr

Ok, here's a thought. At the start of the season, when Hitchcock scored against Ipswich, I got in a row on here with someone who said he should be playing more often etc etc. Basically, at the time, I felt the ship needed steadying, I felt we were in grave danger of going through this league like Wolves did, and I didn't think slinging a load of kids in was right.

Well the ship is steadied now, and credit to Harry Redknapp and his team for that. I think what we've done so far is remarkable.

But to be honest what I'd like to see now is a team that has Ehmer in, that has Hitchcock in and Michael Harriman. I don't want to see us sign Onyewu on a six month deal, Benayoun on a nine month deal and so on, and just do a load of short term stuff to get us back to the Prem because:
1 - The Prem wasn't that great last time we were there.
2 - The fact that we did a load of short term stuff to get there last time was the reason we found it such a slog.

The finances of the TV deals and our club means we need to get back ASAP and I accept that. But ideally I'd rather finish eighth this season with a team that has Hitchcock, Ehmer, Harriman etc playing regularly and get promoted in four or five years time with a clear philosophy, a training ground in place etc, than bumble our way up this year with a load of Benayoun types and find that when we get there all the same problems are still in place.
QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 20:43 - Dec 11 with 1013 viewsN12Hoop

QPR, Redknapp, The Future on 20:19 - Dec 11 by Northernr

Ok, here's a thought. At the start of the season, when Hitchcock scored against Ipswich, I got in a row on here with someone who said he should be playing more often etc etc. Basically, at the time, I felt the ship needed steadying, I felt we were in grave danger of going through this league like Wolves did, and I didn't think slinging a load of kids in was right.

Well the ship is steadied now, and credit to Harry Redknapp and his team for that. I think what we've done so far is remarkable.

But to be honest what I'd like to see now is a team that has Ehmer in, that has Hitchcock in and Michael Harriman. I don't want to see us sign Onyewu on a six month deal, Benayoun on a nine month deal and so on, and just do a load of short term stuff to get us back to the Prem because:
1 - The Prem wasn't that great last time we were there.
2 - The fact that we did a load of short term stuff to get there last time was the reason we found it such a slog.

The finances of the TV deals and our club means we need to get back ASAP and I accept that. But ideally I'd rather finish eighth this season with a team that has Hitchcock, Ehmer, Harriman etc playing regularly and get promoted in four or five years time with a clear philosophy, a training ground in place etc, than bumble our way up this year with a load of Benayoun types and find that when we get there all the same problems are still in place.

Problem is, we need to get promotion for financial reasons so the players you mention won't get a game. And if we go up the stakes are so high that they won't get a game either because we'll back to short-term needs and have to get stuck into the transfer market to buy 'established' players. Either way I can't see them getting a game in the first team unless we're mathematically promoted or relegated.

Poll: Who would you most like to see win the Premiership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024