Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? 09:44 - Jun 12 with 8726 viewsHulaHoop

I thought I was pretty much there, but only found out last night that the 'purpose' of the two marked "D" on a football pitch, was to keep every other player a maximum distance (10yards I think) from the ball during a penalty kick...
Nice to learn something new about the beautiful game, anyone got any other not so obvious rules you'd like to share???
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 18:42 - Jun 12 with 1317 viewsPinnerPaul

My final post on this - promise!

Words NOT in the laws that most think are

"Rules"; "Back pass"; "Professional foul"; "Last Man" "Foul throw" "Foul language"

My favourite misconception is that everyone thinks all of both feet must be behind or on the line when taking a throw in. In fact only part of each foot has to be touching the line, so most of both feet on the pitch is fine as long as heels are on the line when throw is released.

Final thing for you to ponder, have a go at without looking up to make it intertesting if you wan to - there are 7 yellow card offences and 7 red card offences - how many can you name?
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 18:48 - Jun 12 with 1306 viewshoopstilidie

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 18:31 - Jun 12 by PinnerPaul

Its violent conduct, which doesn't have to be against an opponent.

Exactly and that includes people encroaching on the field, kicking a streaker for example is violent conduct and can get you a red card.

Ringo Starr ate my hamper.
Poll: Yes or no?

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 18:56 - Jun 12 with 1302 viewsloftboy

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 18:18 - Jun 12 by PinnerPaul

Not true, most refs I know estimate the time to be added on.

It is true we are talking about what's written in stone not what actually happens

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 19:06 - Jun 12 with 1297 viewsstowmarketrange

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 18:28 - Jun 12 by PinnerPaul

No, if they had "grips" that were obviously help the thrower or it was August, it could be deemed USB.

Imperial and metric are both quoted in the official Laws of the Game.

Fair enough for pitch markings,but does an international referee count out 10 yards or 9.1m for how far the wall has to go back?
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 19:57 - Jun 12 with 1284 viewsloftboy

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 18:42 - Jun 12 by PinnerPaul

"Rules"; "Back pass"; "Professional foul"; "Last Man" "Foul throw" "Foul language"

My favourite misconception is that everyone thinks all of both feet must be behind or on the line when taking a throw in. In fact only part of each foot has to be touching the line, so most of both feet on the pitch is fine as long as heels are on the line when throw is released.

Final thing for you to ponder, have a go at without looking up to make it intertesting if you wan to - there are 7 yellow card offences and 7 red card offences - how many can you name?

Yellow
Unsportsmanlike behaviour
Persistent infringes the laws
Time wasting
Entering or leaving the field of play without permission
Dissent by word or action
Encroachment

Red
Two yellows
Violent conduct
Serious foul play
Spitting
Denying a clear goal scoring opportunity
Uses offensive language towards an official or opponent, (used to be foul or abusive language )

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 22:29 - Jun 12 with 1275 viewsandygg

Kin hell, all these years watching footie, I thought it was a simple game.
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 09:25 - Jun 13 with 1240 viewsPinnerPaul

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 18:56 - Jun 12 by loftboy

It is true we are talking about what's written in stone not what actually happens

Nothing in Laws or official advice to referees telling us how to add time on.

"stopping the watch" certainly isn't written in stone or anywhere else official.
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 09:28 - Jun 13 with 1238 viewsPinnerPaul

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 19:06 - Jun 12 by stowmarketrange

Fair enough for pitch markings,but does an international referee count out 10 yards or 9.1m for how far the wall has to go back?

Good point, I haven't actually counted the steps the refs take in European matches - I agree it would be a bit confusing if a French referee takes 9 steps and Howard Webb then paces out 10 in the CL for example.
Login to get fewer ads

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 09:30 - Jun 13 with 1235 viewsPinnerPaul

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 19:57 - Jun 12 by loftboy

Yellow
Unsportsmanlike behaviour
Persistent infringes the laws
Time wasting
Entering or leaving the field of play without permission
Dissent by word or action
Encroachment

Red
Two yellows
Violent conduct
Serious foul play
Spitting
Denying a clear goal scoring opportunity
Uses offensive language towards an official or opponent, (used to be foul or abusive language )

Spot on - terminolgy needs brushing up if you're taking the refs' course though!

There are two denying goalscoring opportunities (foul & handball) so that gets the reds to 7.
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 09:48 - Jun 13 with 1228 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

Couple of other rules you may not be aware of:

There is no maximum height of corner flags as long as they are over 5 feet.

If the goal posts are the maximum 5 inches allowed, all other lines have to be the same width.
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 09:51 - Jun 13 with 1225 viewsloftboy

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 09:25 - Jun 13 by PinnerPaul

Nothing in Laws or official advice to referees telling us how to add time on.

"stopping the watch" certainly isn't written in stone or anywhere else official.

No but it says a game will be of two equal halves not longer than 45 minutes

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 14:27 - Jun 13 with 1199 viewsstowmarketrange

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 09:48 - Jun 13 by Sudbury_Hill_R

Couple of other rules you may not be aware of:

There is no maximum height of corner flags as long as they are over 5 feet.

If the goal posts are the maximum 5 inches allowed, all other lines have to be the same width.

Is that so blind linesmen can see whether the ball has crossed the line or not?
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 16:04 - Jun 13 with 1175 viewsLazyFan

Two Footed Challenge is a foul according to FIFA like so:

"A two footed tackle made from a short distance away, does not always pose a danger to an opponent, because the ball itself acts as a natural cushion between the players but when the 'two footed' tackle is made from some distance in an uncontrolled manner when attempting to make contact with the ball (or not) - certainly entails a large element of danger to the opponent and that players who use excessive force to make two footed tackles should be sent-off"

I have heard that even if the player misses the ball, misses the opponent and just hits thin air and the ground, missing everything, he could still get sent off. This is because the intent to injure was there. And intent is good enough for a straight RED.

If that is the case, then people who say "but he got the ball first so, the tackle is fair" are wrong because it is all about the intent, regardless of what actually happens.

I agree with this understanding because I wish to see tackling done properly and accurately and not used as a way to hurt and unfairly stop the opponent/game playing. Two footed challenges should be a straight red as they belittle the great art of defending.

One could allegedly call it the Anti-Paul Scholes law :P

zzzzzzzzzz

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 16:17 - Jun 13 with 1168 viewsblacky200

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 09:51 - Jun 13 by loftboy

No but it says a game will be of two equal halves not longer than 45 minutes

I hate that term. If they aren't equal then they aren't halves.
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 16:32 - Jun 13 with 1164 viewsloftboy

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 16:17 - Jun 13 by blacky200

I hate that term. If they aren't equal then they aren't halves.

But what it means is if you decide to play only 40 minutes first half due to starting late then you can't play 45 second half, both halves have to be the same length.

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 21:58 - Jun 13 with 1142 viewsQPR_John

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 17:38 - Jun 12 by QPR_ARG

Yankee refs? That's an Argentine invention. And it will soon be all over the world as it has been approved by the international board.

It looks ridiculous at first, but it proved to be very effective. Distance is kept. It's been used in Argentina for at least 2 or 3 seasons.

Time for the rest of the world to catch up with our modern inventions!

Does the white paint disolve quickly or will games end with a myriad of little white patches all over the pitch
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 06:42 - Jun 14 with 1114 viewsstowmarketrange

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 21:58 - Jun 13 by QPR_John

Does the white paint disolve quickly or will games end with a myriad of little white patches all over the pitch

I think it dissolves after about a minute.
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 11:47 - Jun 14 with 1098 viewsAntti_Heinola

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 18:42 - Jun 12 by PinnerPaul

'Rules' I'm pretty sure now are in the law book. That was always correct, but think it's changed with the FA now. Pretty sure I've seen them quoting Law 1, Rule 3.4 or something like that.

A lot of the stuff on here are not people misunderstanding the rules/laws, it's just a question of terminology. 'Back Pass' might not be in the book, but universally it's known as the 'back pass rule' - three words that are wrong, but that doesn't mean people don't know what it is.

One a lot of people don't know, similar to the throw in one (which is interesting because everyone was taught at school that both feet needed to be *behind* the line), is that the ball only needs to be touching the corner arc - as long as some tiny part of the ball is touching the very edge of the outside of the arc, it's fine to take the kick.

Bare bones.

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 11:50 - Jun 14 with 1093 viewsQPunkR

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 11:47 - Jun 14 by Antti_Heinola

'Rules' I'm pretty sure now are in the law book. That was always correct, but think it's changed with the FA now. Pretty sure I've seen them quoting Law 1, Rule 3.4 or something like that.

A lot of the stuff on here are not people misunderstanding the rules/laws, it's just a question of terminology. 'Back Pass' might not be in the book, but universally it's known as the 'back pass rule' - three words that are wrong, but that doesn't mean people don't know what it is.

One a lot of people don't know, similar to the throw in one (which is interesting because everyone was taught at school that both feet needed to be *behind* the line), is that the ball only needs to be touching the corner arc - as long as some tiny part of the ball is touching the very edge of the outside of the arc, it's fine to take the kick.

We had this a few weeks ago as I recall, and I maintained that actually no part of the ball HAS to touch the line, as long as the ball overhangs it (if that makes any sense!)

QPR - "shit but local"

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 12:02 - Jun 14 with 1090 viewsJamie

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 17:38 - Jun 12 by QPR_ARG

Yankee refs? That's an Argentine invention. And it will soon be all over the world as it has been approved by the international board.

It looks ridiculous at first, but it proved to be very effective. Distance is kept. It's been used in Argentina for at least 2 or 3 seasons.

Time for the rest of the world to catch up with our modern inventions!

Yep, was going to mention the spray painted lines for walls at set pieces.

To the guy who asked above, the 'paint' dissolves very quickly so there are no marks left on the pitch.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024