Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? 09:44 - Jun 12 with 8727 viewsHulaHoop

I thought I was pretty much there, but only found out last night that the 'purpose' of the two marked "D" on a football pitch, was to keep every other player a maximum distance (10yards I think) from the ball during a penalty kick...
Nice to learn something new about the beautiful game, anyone got any other not so obvious rules you'd like to share???
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 13:01 - Jun 12 with 1404 viewsQPR1882

There has to be 2 players from the opposing team between you and the goal to be onside when you receive the ball.
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 13:02 - Jun 12 with 1403 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 10:28 - Jun 12 by loftboy

it has changed, only has to be touched now.

Thank God they cleared that up. It was ruining the game to damnation!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 13:08 - Jun 12 with 1398 viewsPinnerPaul

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 10:27 - Jun 12 by RickyDicky

Here's one I learnt at Primary school (a looooong time ago).

At kick off, the ball must roll forward and travel a full revolution before another player (of the same team) can touch it. Doesn't ever seem to happen though.

Maybe that rule changed.

Just has to move forward now
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 13:13 - Jun 12 with 1394 viewsPinnerPaul

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 10:31 - Jun 12 by ballbag

Think I heard this one here...

If a player scores an own goal direct from a goal kick, the result is a corner for the opposing team.

BUT only if the ball leaves the penalty area, as its not in play until it does.

Soooooo, this is only going to happen on a very windy day.

There are so many that fans and players don't know.

On the sameish topic, a FK to the defending side in the penalty area has to leave the area before any other player can touch it - pulled that one up myself a couple of times to general bewilderement from all - actually that's pretty much the state of mind of the players in most of the games I ref!
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 13:17 - Jun 12 with 1392 viewsPinnerPaul

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 10:50 - Jun 12 by QPR_John

What is the purpose, if any, of the 6 yard area around the goal apart from where goal kicks are taken from.

Any FKs awarded to defence in GA can be taken anywhere in that area.

IDFK to attacking side in GA must be taken on line of GA, in line with where offence took place.
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 13:17 - Jun 12 with 1393 viewsthame_hoops

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 10:50 - Jun 12 by QPR_John

What is the purpose, if any, of the 6 yard area around the goal apart from where goal kicks are taken from.

isnt it the line where a free kick should be taken from for the defending team if they are fouled close to the goal line?
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 13:20 - Jun 12 with 1391 viewsW7Ranger

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 13:01 - Jun 12 by QPR1882

There has to be 2 players from the opposing team between you and the goal to be onside when you receive the ball.

Not if the ball is played back to you or you're behind the player who has passed it to you.

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 13:23 - Jun 12 with 1388 viewsE17hoop

My fave is the people who insist on red cards 'because he was the last man' - there is no 'last man' rule.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Who do you want as next Next England manager?

Login to get fewer ads

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 13:26 - Jun 12 with 1385 viewsthemodfather

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 13:01 - Jun 12 by BathRanger

Just to clarify, it doesn't have to be a goal kick. If a player takes an indirect free kick from anywhere and the ball goes straight into his own goal, it is a corner to the opposing team because a goal can not be awarded from an indirect free kick if no other player has touched the ball.

I seem to remember this actually happened in a Wimbledon game many years ago. A Wimbledon defender took an indirect free kick and tried to play it back to his goalkeeper, but the ball went over the goalie's head and straight into the net. The ref incorrectly awarded the goal.

in europe does play stop only for head injury/serious injury like here??
why did france want us to kick the ball out cos ribery tripped over??
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 13:46 - Jun 12 with 1366 viewsMoonshineSteve

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 11:15 - Jun 12 by QPunkR

Although the original post was nigh-on unbelievable, this has turned into a really good topic.
I only found out when as sub, and therefore performing lino duties earlier this season, the ref told me about the different angles linos are supposed to hold their little flags at when signalling for offside, to indicate to the ref which player they are giving offside against.
If it's a low flag, it's for a player on the opposite side of the pitch, at waist-level it's for a player in the centre and a high flag is for the player closest to said lino

Other way round?

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 13:59 - Jun 12 with 1351 viewsAlbRanger

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 13:46 - Jun 12 by MoonshineSteve

Other way round?

That's what i thought:

Low to the ground = Close to the lino (ass ref )
Level = towards the centre of the pitch
Raised = far side of pitch

Or have I been doing it wrong for years??
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 14:17 - Jun 12 with 1342 viewsloftboy

There is no such thing as injury time or added on time, when there is an unnatural stoppage the referee stops his watch so he only ever plays 45 minutes each half. ATAF

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 14:32 - Jun 12 with 1330 viewsboobishabang

Not sure if its still the case but it used to be the rule that if a ball rebounds back from the goal during a Penalty shoot out its deemed dead, I think it was in the 86 world cup when Bats was in goal for France and Brazil scored a penalty which struck the post hit the back of Bats and went in, the goal was awarded when in theory it shouldnt of stood, France went on to win the shootout anyway.......
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 15:05 - Jun 12 with 1309 viewsPinnerPaul

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 13:01 - Jun 12 by QPR1882

OR the ball, which is where this whole "can't be offside if ball is passed backwards" comes from
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 15:14 - Jun 12 with 1300 viewsW7Ranger

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 13:20 - Jun 12 by W7Ranger

Not if the ball is played back to you or you're behind the player who has passed it to you.

A good example of this is the goal we scored at Palace last season. Mackie intercepts a short back pass, rounds the keeper, then rolls the ball across to the face of the goal for Taarabt to score into the empty net.

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 15:16 - Jun 12 with 1275 viewsstowmarketrange

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 10:56 - Jun 12 by W7Ranger

If you take a penalty, and it hits the woodwork (without the keeper touching it) and it bounces straight back to you, if you strike the ball again, a free kick (I think) will be given against you as you will have touched the ball twice with no one else touching the ball.

That happened in a game at HQ at the school end.I think it might have been Quashie took a penalty for Forest,and hit the woodwork,and then was the first player to the rebound.The ref blew for a free-kick.
The mind might be playing tricks with the names,but it definitely happened.It was Southampton he was playing for.
The saints website said it was 14th January 2006.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 15:19 - Jun 12 with 1273 viewsQPR1882

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 15:05 - Jun 12 by PinnerPaul

OR the ball, which is where this whole "can't be offside if ball is passed backwards" comes from

i know there are exceptions i was talking about the 99% of why offsides are given. Some people do not know there has to be 2 players ( 1 usually being the goalkeeper ) between you and the goal.
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 15:20 - Jun 12 with 1272 viewsW7Ranger

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 15:16 - Jun 12 by stowmarketrange

That happened in a game at HQ at the school end.I think it might have been Quashie took a penalty for Forest,and hit the woodwork,and then was the first player to the rebound.The ref blew for a free-kick.
The mind might be playing tricks with the names,but it definitely happened.It was Southampton he was playing for.
The saints website said it was 14th January 2006.

It happened in a school match I played in about 20-25 years ago. As kids we were baffled why the ref blew for a free kick the other way as the penalty taker slammed in the rebound when his initial shot hit the bar!!

Have strangely never seen it happen since then.
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 15:22 - Jun 12 with 1270 viewsW7Ranger

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 15:19 - Jun 12 by QPR1882

i know there are exceptions i was talking about the 99% of why offsides are given. Some people do not know there has to be 2 players ( 1 usually being the goalkeeper ) between you and the goal.

Or the "not interfering with play" rule.

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 15:30 - Jun 12 with 1266 viewsQPR1882

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 15:22 - Jun 12 by W7Ranger

Or the "not interfering with play" rule.

Don't go there,not even the guy who wrote the not interfering with play rule does not understands it.

A bit like the Duckworth—Lewis method in cricket.
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 15:40 - Jun 12 with 1257 viewsloftboy

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 15:14 - Jun 12 by W7Ranger

A good example of this is the goal we scored at Palace last season. Mackie intercepts a short back pass, rounds the keeper, then rolls the ball across to the face of the goal for Taarabt to score into the empty net.

But Adel wasn't nearer the goal line than the ball when it was played so not off side, the best example would be a cross played backwards acroos the boss and a player who was forward of the crosser has his back to goal and executes an overhead kick, he would be off side as he was nearer the goal line than the ball when it was played.

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 15:58 - Jun 12 with 1239 viewsandygg

Can you be offside from a corner kick? I`m sure ive seen them given.
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 16:07 - Jun 12 with 1232 viewsloftboy

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 15:58 - Jun 12 by andygg

Can you be offside from a corner kick? I`m sure ive seen them given.

No

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 16:15 - Jun 12 with 1225 viewsHollowayRanger

yep knew that

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 16:18 - Jun 12 with 1221 viewsMoonshineSteve

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 15:20 - Jun 12 by W7Ranger

It happened in a school match I played in about 20-25 years ago. As kids we were baffled why the ref blew for a free kick the other way as the penalty taker slammed in the rebound when his initial shot hit the bar!!

Have strangely never seen it happen since then.

Remember this happening to Bruce Rioch back in the seventies. I think it was for Scotland (though it could have been Derby). Took a penalty, hit the post, bounced straight back to him with the keeper lying on the ground and the goal open in front of him, and he stepped over it knowing he wasn't allowed to touch it.

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024